Spanish Morocco.

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Spanish Morocco.

Post by Lincoln » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:59 pm

Anyone been?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Spanish Morocco.

Post by Lincoln » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:01 pm

I just stated to read about Spanish Morocco...seems to be worth a visit.

Have you been there?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:12 pm

I was thinking about Ceuta in particular.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:49 pm

Ceuta sucks. Haven't been to Melilla. Ceuta is a bunch of redneck right-wing Spaniards walked off from Moroccans desperate to get in. Tangier is much, much more appealing, even with the hassles and touts. Don't try buying hash in Ketama, which is menacing. Hang out in Chefchaouen instead and smoke yourself even more retarded. I bought a fist-sized hlchunk of hash there for $25 once.
I am Stalking you.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 pm

I got offered hash in the casbah in Tangier when I was 15. I had only tried my first spliff a few months before that.

Why would someone want to take the risk of buying drugs in a muslim country?

If you are in Tangiers, don't go for a walk on the beach.
Saying that, you will probably be fine.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:23 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:I got offered hash in the casbah in Tangier when I was 15. I had only tried my first spliff a few months before that.

Why would someone want to take the risk of buying drugs in a muslim country?

If you are in Tangiers, don't go for a walk on the beach.
Saying that, you will probably be fine.

Morocco is a hash economy. Moroccans smoke like you wouldn't believe, and the country is stoner paradise.
I am Stalking you.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:37 pm

I am aware of Moroccan hash. Along with Jamaician, it is what I would smoke if I want to function. I am also are of the Hippy/Hendrix history.

Do the authorities turn a blind eye?

What does Islam say about the natural herb?

Last time I was in there, Casablanca, around 2006, there were about 4 suicide bombings the same night.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:49 pm

Hash, as an intoxicant, is Haram under most interpretations of Islam. Still, it seems less Haram than alcoholic or pork. If you get busted with drugs as a foreigner, I imagine it means a bribe. Shit is everywhere in Morocco.
I am Stalking you.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:37 pm

What is Spanish Morocco? Never heard that term.

Tangiers used to be (and it has been 50 years since I was there) awash in hash. We floated for the week we were there before meeting up with in laws. Also awash in touts who wanted you to take their-mother-they-are-cherry (yes of course we called him Jesus), and touts who kept trying to buy me from my new husband. Very long haired very blond young American- he could have gotten a very good price for me. But we also met some very nice people including one guy in the cafe who beat some doughnut seller about the ears for charging us about 10 cents for a doughnut rather than the penny everyone else was paying. Funny the things you remember.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:44 pm

Spanish Morocco is the enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla on Morocco's north coast.
I am Stalking you.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:48 am

strife wrote:Ceuta sucks. Haven't been to Melilla. Ceuta is a bunch of redneck right-wing Spaniards walked off from Moroccans desperate to get in. Tangier is much, much more appealing, even with the hassles and touts. Don't try buying hash in Ketama, which is menacing. Hang out in Chef chaouen instead and smoke yourself even more retarded. I bought a fist-sized hlchunk of hash there for $25 once.

Thanks Felix,you've managed to give sage travel advice AND insult me in the same post...pretty impressive :lol:

Why do you say Ceuta sucks?....i can handle redneck Spaniards,isn't it a nice place to wander around?...old colonial buildings etc?

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:52 pm

Chefchaouen is lovely, a must visit, 3 hours plus to Tangier, 5 hours by bus to Fes.

Sidi Ifni is ex Spanish, but nowhere near the other places you're considering - way down South, below Agadir. I was in the area visiting other places, went there primarily to see the Art Deco architecture which is impressive but not worth a long trip just for that. It's very rundown, not a lot of decent food options (winter), or a lot of anything, really. It does feel different to other Moroccan towns, the Spanish street planning, signage still there, contributes to that feel.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 am

Just booked to go to Ceuta for Easter...can't wait.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:46 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 am
Maybe you can add another Spanish border gem, like La Línea.
I am Stalking you.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Wait, you're going to Ceuta so you can claim another 'country,' aren't you? Sounds pretty OCD. No one considers Ceuta (or Melilla) to be countries. Ceuta is an unattractive city full of right-wing Spaniards, pining for Franco, surrounded by Moroccans desperate to get in. If you want a decent trip, step foot in Ceuta, and head straight for nearby Chefchaouen. A bonghead like you would be in heaven there.
I am Stalking you.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:13 pm

strife wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:46 pm
Lincoln wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:04 am
Maybe you can add another Spanish border gem, like La Línea.
Says the man stuck in the tourist mecca of Mexico.
AntiFelix wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:44 pm
Sounds pretty OCD.
Says the man who just logged in and posted with 2 of his many,many handles :roll:

Yep, you've got it all worked out Felix.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:21 pm

Mexico is bigger than your entire country.
I am Stalking you.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:33 pm

AntiFelix wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:21 pm
Mexico is bigger than your entire country.

Yebbut you're stuck in the part of it infested by your fellow countrymen arent you?....i'm guessing in less than a few hours you'll be propping up a bar sat next to a fellow yank putting the world to rights.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:50 pm

I'm not here; I'm here by choice. This isn't travel for me. I am doing a remote project, and saw no reason to work in wintertime DC when I could come here. Even though I'm paying double rent (amazingly cheap here), the differential in lifestyle cost means I'm coming out alright.

Seriously, a Pomgol choosing Ceuta as a destination is one of the more absurd things I've ever heard. How are you even going to get there? Fly to Gibraltar or Malaga, take a bus to Algeciras, and then the ferry across? Unpleasant place.
I am Stalking you.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:10 pm

AntiFelix wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:50 pm

Seriously, a Pomgol choosing Ceuta as a destination is one of the more absurd things I've ever heard. How are you even going to get there? Fly to Gibraltar or Malaga, take a bus to Algeciras, and then the ferry across? Unpleasant place.
That's exactly the route I'm taking...can't though see why you think going there is absurd...I love these little unknown quirky places,I guarantee ill find something there fascinating....I saw a documentary by Simon Reeve on the BBC and part of it was about Ceuta,I was intrigued...I guess we're all different when it comes to travelling,each to their own I guess....someone on here told me Tallinn was nothing special and was only worth a day...I could easily spend a month there and not be bored.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:29 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:10 pm
AntiFelix wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:50 pm

That's exactly the route I'm taking...can't though see why you think going there is absurd...I love these little unknown quirky places,I guarantee ill find something there fascinating....I saw a documentary by Simon Reeve on the BBC and part of it was about Ceuta,I was intrigued...I guess we're all different when it comes to travelling,each to their own I guess....someone on here told me Tallinn was nothing special and was only worth a day...I could easily spend a month there and not be bored.
I'm telling you, as someone who's been there and finds something to like about almost everywhere, Ceuta is one of the places I wouldn't go back to.

Okay dude. Let me know what you think. Be sure to take photos of the Franco Monument they have there.

It's a lot of transfers for that trip. Algeciras is pretty unpleasant too, especially around the ferry terminal.
I am Stalking you.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:42 pm

Lincs, I agree with Felix -- THAT TRIP IS A VERY BAD CHOICE.
i passed through Spanish Morocco on the way to Tangier back in "The Day" when there was no ferry from Algeciras directly to Tangier other than an expensive hydrofoil (due at that time to political or other social issues and problems with narcotics). After arriving at the port in Spanish Morocco I took a bus with other European travelers toward Morocco. The bus stopped in Ceuta or some other city in that country for a short break. Getting off the bus there we were harassed by the most degenerate group of locals who seemed so dangerous that most of us got back on the bus and waited for the bus to depart and continue on the Tangier.
I see no reason to go to this awful country. It offers nothing for a traveler except danger in many forms. I sincerely hope that you have no intention of doing hash or other illegal drugs in North Africa. Cancel your trip if you can. There are so many better alternative destinations for an April trip.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:54 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 8:42 pm
Lincs, I agree with Felix -- THAT TRIP IS A VERY BAD CHOICE.
i passed through Spanish Morocco on the way to Tangier back in "The Day" when there was no ferry from Algeciras directly to Tangier other than an expensive hydrofoil (due at that time to political or other social issues and problems with narcotics). After arriving at the port in Spanish Morocco I took a bus with other European travelers toward Morocco. The bus stopped in Ceuta for a short break. Getting off the bus there we were harassed by the most degenerate group of locals who seemed so dangerous that most of us got back on the bus and waited for the bus to depart and continue on the Tangier.
I see no reason to go to this awful country. It offers nothing for a traveler except danger in many forms. I sincerely hope that you have no intention of doing hash or other illegal drugs in North Africa. Cancel your trip if you can. There are so many better alternative destinations for an April trip.

Its true to say that i've not heard a good word said about Ceuta...but i'm going anyway...it could be shite and i suspect that you and the multi-handeler could well be right but even if it is shite i want to expereinece it for myself...its a unique slice of history that may not be there forever so i'm going!

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Be Safe! -- For that trip I recommend that you find a male friend to go with you. Best to travel to a place like that with a traveling mate.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:32 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:08 pm
Be Safe! -- For that trip I recommend that you find a male friend to go with you. Best to travel to a place like that with a traveling mate.

I'll be fine Steavo...no one messes with the LTE...Lincoln Transite Elite...google that and ye shall see.

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:11 am

Go Lincs, when I lived in Spain any time a Spaniard said Gibralter should be given back I’d ask so what about Cueta and Melilla? They all thought it wasn’t the same sort of thing. In fact I think Spain has less claim on Gibralter than Morocco has on the 2 Spanish enclaves. Go have a look and tell us what you think. One person was right though, Algaceras can be a nasty place.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Wait, you're going to Ceuta so you can claim another 'country,' aren't you?
He just went to the isle of Man for the same reason. It seems he has run out of inteesting places, and hasn't been anywhere that he would like to go back to.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:35 pm

How little you know Vinny... surprising for one you like to project this ‘know it all ‘ image.

Isle of Man was fascinating... there was so much to see, only the most tedious of people would find it boring.

I’ve been to plenty of places I’d gladly return to but the world is a big place isn’t Vinny? ..shame if we only see one small part of it.

One thing I learned very quickly when talking to people about travelling is that you have to form your own opinion about places... too many times I’ve been told somewhere is shite and not worth going to,only to find when I did that it was a great place.

You stick to Wickipedia and Tripadvisor telling you where to go visit Vinny ... I’ll keep checking out the planet and form my own opinion.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Lincs, What is the LENGTH of that contemplated trip to Spanish Morocco?:
(1). Time actually in the country;
(2). Other time for flights and for getting to Algeciras port and for taking the ferry to and from Spanish Morocco.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:21 pm

I am going to guess overnight, because some people don't think you can tick off a place unless you have spent the night there, and why would you plan on more than that?

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:11 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:21 pm
I am going to guess overnight, because some people don't think you can tick off a place unless you have spent the night there, and why would you plan on more than that?
That is a long way to go for only 2 days maximum in a country.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:15 pm

No, I bet it is the nearest "country" that he has not yet been to. And he might spend some time in Spain on the way there or back.

Addenda et corrigenda: I don't know if the Channel Islands, collectively count as separate countries from the UK on the list he uses, and if he has ever been there. They would be closer, of course.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:23 pm

Spanish Morocco is not a separate country, so it does not add another country to Lincs' countries list.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:50 pm

If I recall correctly, that list counted the United States, Alaska, and Hawaii as three separate countries.

It's a crazy list, but it is the one he uses. See his traveller's century club thread for the link.
Last edited by VinnyD on Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:09 pm

He probably makes an additional country out of all of the best marijuana growing regions within countries.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:36 pm

Its funny that the only people that seem to have a problem here are the yanks...t'was ever thus.

Why is it that its the least traveled nationals that are the ones that shout loudest?

Don't get me wrong,there are some decent yanks ive met whilst travelling...but they are few and far between....what was that stat I saw the other day?...90% of Americans don't own a passport?

To answer your question Steavo ,i'll be away for a week...I fly into Marbella,drive down to Algeciras stay a couple of days then ferry over to Ceuta again for 2/3 days(not sure yet) then back over to Spain drive over to Gib for 2/3 days then home...sounds like a trip to me.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 pm

Two/three days meaning a night or two. Meaning a night.

You could have just said: Vinny is right. I am going in order to tick the box on the bogus country list, and staying long enough to satisfy everyone that I have been to this bogus "country".

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:14 pm
Two/three days meaning a night or two. Meaning a night.

You could have just said: Vinny is right. I am going in order to tick the box on the bogus country list, and staying long enough to satisfy everyone that I have been to this bogus "country".

Can I ask you a question here Vinny and maybe get an honest answer?...whats your angle here?...i can't see why you are posting on the travel branch...you don't travel do you?

Of the first 5 pages of OP's on this branch...28 op's by me,guess how many from you?...Zero dude...not one...couldn't be bothered to check the others but i'm guessing the result will be the same.

If i'm getting to you I can back off if you want?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:30 pm

People were wondering why you wanted to go to a shithole like Ceuta.

My angle was to give them the correct answer.

Then somebody wondered how long you would stay, so I told them.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:45 pm

Yes but what led you to click on a thread about Ceuta....have you actually been?....you refer to it as a 'shithole' so I'm assuming you have indeed been there...have I got that right vinny?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:52 pm

No, I haven't been there. Sometimes I learn things by reading.

Let me make it clear that I have nothing against your hobby. It's harmless. It doesn't appeal to me, but neither does Scrubb's skydiving and I have nothing against that either. Different people like different things. Have fun. Safe trip.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Bottom Line: Less than 1/2 of the trip is actually in Spanish Morocco.
Gibralter is probably worth a day.
Not sure about the remainder of the time allocated. I have never stopped (other than for transit) on the south coast of Spain because it doesn't have the types of places where I would want to spend time (relative to other locations on the continent).

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Gibralter is probably worth a day.

So...you've been to Gibraltar then Steavo?

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:10 pm

Nope, but I'd go there for 1 day out of curiosity if and only if I was in the area with nothing better to do. I did see it from a distance from the train on the way to Algeciras back in The Day.

Jim-2012
Stew Ingredient

Post by Jim-2012 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:31 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:59 pm
Anyone been?
I spent about an hour there on my way to Morocco.
It wasn't anything notable, and I didn't even know that we would go there on the way.
“During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.”
“When you are taking FLAK, you know you are over the target”

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 am

Nothing to see. It's just s place to stock up on duty free to trade with Manch like Moroccans. Johnny Walker red label opens doors.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Unwashed_Pom wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:50 am
Nothing to see. It's just s place to stock up on duty free to trade with Manch like Moroccans. Johnny Walker red label opens doors.
I suspected that it would be mostly a tourist trap with respect to tourist things to see and do.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:07 pm

Lincs, With a week you could have done something really great, like a trip to Egypt or even Tunesia.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:19 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:07 pm
Lincs, With a week you could have done something really great, like a trip to Egypt or even Tunesia.
Its "Tunisia" you dumb-ass yank....and I've already been there and Egypt...several times.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:30 pm

"Ceuta is one of a handful of Spanish possessions on the coastline of Morocco. Located on a peninsula jutting out into the Mediterranean, it offers a compact dose of fantastic architecture, interesting museums, excellent food, a relaxing maritime park and bracing nature walks. The city is particularly beautiful at night, a skyline of artfully lit buildings and bursting palms."

Shithole, obviously.

Report back.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk