Diwali in Southern India

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Diwali in Southern India

Post by 5waldos » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:45 am

Anyone have any ideas where a great place to celebrate Diwali might be in southern India? I know that it is not celebrated in Kerala so we will be headed east from Kochi to find someplace where there is lots of spectacle. I would love to see the elephants and fireworks but can't really fly back up north to see it. And since we leave from Chennai and Diwali is right in the middle of our time- we would not want to head there.

Anyone have any thoughts?

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Re: Diwali in Southern India

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:35 am

With all their temples, Tamil Nadu might be your best bet. Diwali aside, there are always temples with with celebrations. I went to one outside of Cochin
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Sorry onlu did it in Jaipur (which was awesome) but a weeee bit of a haul from Kerala (although Jet airways always has really good seat sales).
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:55 am

Because of scheduling it may come down to houseboats on the backwater or Diwali someplace amazing.

Sometimes traveling is the bitch.

thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient

Post by thoughtpolice » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:54 am

I'm going to buck the usual raves about houseboats. The backwaters are pretty, and it is all quite pleasant. But it felt like the kind of thing that every swinging dick does when visiting Kerala. I'd head for the hills. Gorgeous.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:34 am

I'm going to buck the usual raves about houseboats. The backwaters are pretty, and it is all quite pleasant. But it felt like the kind of thing that every swinging dick does when visiting Kerala. I'd head for the hills. Gorgeous.

I agree to some extent. There were tons of house boats and I saw more being built. I opted out f the houseboat experience and hired a boatman to take me on a non motorized boat around the smaller channels. It was very peaceful. but I dod prefer the hills, choosing to spend 6 days in 2 different locations

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:52 pm

polardude1 wrote:

I agree to some extent. There were tons of house boats and I saw more being built. I opted out f the houseboat experience and hired a boatman to take me on a non motorized boat around the smaller channels. It was very peaceful. but I dod prefer the hills, choosing to spend 6 days in 2 different locations

Polar - which hill regions did you visit? And which did you prefer?
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:25 am

I took a bus from Ernakulam to Munnar on the Kerala side of hill region to start. From there I hired a driver to take me around the area, visiting may tea plantations. i saw my 1st herd of wild elephants there. . It's a great spot to see the region. I then had the driver take me to Valparai on the Tamil Nadu side. We descended into the plains of Tamil Nadu and ascended back into the hills. The town of Valparai was quaint by india's standard. The owner of the guest house used his own driver to take me around. It was a terrific area, a real highlight. We climbed deep into a tea plantation and observed a family of elephants make its way across the edge of the forest. We wen out one night and observed forest ranger watching over an elephant getting close to a home. the area is also full of leopards and lion-tailed macaques.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 am

Great stuff - thanks!

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:47 pm

TP went up to Wynad, something I considered. But hiring a driver is the way to go. Its a beautiful region

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:00 pm

OP , i had no idea Diwali isn't celebrated in Kerala...any idea why?

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:27 pm

Lincoln wrote:OP , i had no idea Diwali isn't celebrated in Kerala...any idea why?

The state is >50% Hindu, so good question. I like Anjana's answer here (top one):
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-Diwali-not-celebrated-on-a-large-scale-in-Kerala

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:13 pm

That's interesting Simon,cheers...I'd never heard of Onam before.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:13 pm

I was in Hyderabad a few years ago for Diwali. Hyderabad is historically Muslim, so while celebrations were evident, it didn't feel official.
I am Stalking you.

Klara
Stew Ingredient

Post by Klara » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:33 pm

I was in Mumbai for Diwali once. I do not wish to experience that again, if I'm honest.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:46 am

I loved the two Diwalis while I lived in Mumbai. But I had a 12th floor flat so could remove myself from the chaos at will. All the fireworks and drumming were stopped by midnight.
Ganapati was my favourite festival there though.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:20 pm

We didn't see a lot of Diwali while we were there except at one old British hotel that decorated everything up nicely. Hard to believe that trip was so long ago already.