Travelers Century Club.

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:21 am

Electrolyte wrote:It's BS.

You need a stamp in your passport and dirt on your shoes (e.g. passing through on the train isn't enough even though you get a passport stamp).

Agreed,that's my roole,I only count if I clear passport control and spend time there.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Electrolyte wrote:
It's BS.

You need a stamp in your passport and dirt on your shoes (e.g. passing through on the train isn't enough even though you get a passport stamp).

Geez. On my canoe trip down the Zambezi River, we stopped for lunch on the Zimbabwe side of the river. I got dirt on my shoes but no stamp in my passport. Bummer
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 am

Ok, dirt on your shoes on actual territory (not the airport before clearing customs) should count even if you have no stamp. In fact I would say a river trip should count even if you didn't get out of the boat, as long as the river was really in the country, not just a boundary.

I count Luxembourg. I stopped for lunch outside at the train station while waiting for a connection, but didn't see anything.

Not sure about driving through without getting out. I may have done that with Iran on a short stretch of road when I was in Eastern Turkey, but I don't count it.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:39 am

I pissed into China once, through a fence, from Pakistan. And then walked around a bit on the Chinese side. I still have a chunk of granite at home from China which I picked up at the time. But I didn't really "count" having been to China until I visited Beijing.
As for UN countries... plus Taiwan and Vatican, yes. Then add Kosovo, and Palestine, but beyond that I'm a bit dubious (Trans-Dniestr? Donbass? Somaliland? Possibly. Madeira, Crete, Sarawak, Java, Gibraltar, Scotland, etc? No.)
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:46 am

simon_in_exile wrote:As for UN countries... plus Taiwan and Vatican, yes. Then add Kosovo, and Palestine, but beyond that I'm a bit dubious (Trans-Dniestr? Donbass? Somaliland? Possibly. Madeira, Crete, Sarawak, Java, Gibraltar, Scotland, etc? No.)

Add Hong Kong and Macau. But not Scotland or or other 'constituent countries' of the UK, which are less quasi-sovereign than US or Australian states.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:20 pm

Pissing into a country doesn't count, but walking around a bit and taking part of it home should.

I don't count Transdniestria. They wouldn't give me any official indication (passport stamp, transit fee receipt, ...) of my visit because even they don't admit that they are a country.

Not sure about Hong Kong. I count it, but it was a separate country when I was there. I also count West Bank and Gaza even though it wasn't a separate country when I was there, so maybe that is cheating.

Kosovo and WBG are IMF member countries. How are they not UN members?

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:10 am

Kosovo - because of Russia.
Palestine - because of America.

I forgot other quasi-statelets like South Ossetia and Abkhazia. I wouldn't count them either. And I've been to Hong Kong and Macau but I assume they're just part of China, in the way that I've been to Tahiti but it's part of France, etc.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:45 pm

If I dared to count the Golan Heights as Syria, I would be in deep shit with my family.
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:13 pm

matt_melb wrote:
simon_in_exile wrote:As for UN countries... plus Taiwan and Vatican, yes. Then add Kosovo, and Palestine, but beyond that I'm a bit dubious (Trans-Dniestr? Donbass? Somaliland? Possibly. Madeira, Crete, Sarawak, Java, Gibraltar, Scotland, etc? No.)

Add Hong Kong and Macau. But not Scotland or or other 'constituent countries' of the UK, which are less quasi-sovereign than US or Australian states.

No need for quotation marks - Scotland is a constituent country within the UK.

It has its own legal system, education system and financial and other institutions, many continuous from long before any Australian or US states were even thought of.
It was a sovereign country until the union of parliaments. The earlier union of crowns was a Scottish initiative.
It has its own parliament which raises and distributes its own taxes.

The UN definition is handy for stats lovers but the UN has only existed since 1945 and only had 51 member states at first. It can hardly be said to be the final arbiter on what may be called a country or a nation.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:59 pm

Agreed...of course Scotland is a country.

This is why i follow the travel century club as a list of countries...sure theres a few daft ones on there but surely not as daft as telling the Welsh they aren't a country.

Its a bit of fun that might just make you travel a bit more,I will join the club when i hit 100.

Did I mention i'm on 97?

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:54 am

How are you going to prove you've been to 100?

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:23 pm

BTW, I just had to tell our accountants how many individual flights I took last 12-month period and it came to 71.

How's about that then?

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Ouch! I think it's 30 for me since this time last year, but mainly for work.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:44 am

simon_in_exile wrote:How are you going to prove you've been to 100?

People from Lincolnshire are a people with honour...why would I lie?

You see, this is the difference between Lincolnshire and Yorkshire.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:32 am

simon_in_exile wrote:Ouch! I think it's 30 for me since this time last year, but mainly for work.

Starting from ABZ pretty much adds two flights to every journey.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:39 pm

Lincoln wrote:
simon_in_exile wrote:How are you going to prove you've been to 100?

People from Lincolnshire are a people with honour...why would I lie?

You see, this is the difference between Lincolnshire and Yorkshire.

Ha! Nicely done. I guess you could send them the Madeira, Crete, Scotland, Istanbul European side, Istanbul Asian side, [...] passport stamps. Much as I'll ridicule the list, it's good in a Munro-bagging type of way, gets you to places you wouldn't normally think about visiting (like Wales), etc.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:03 pm

It has its own legal system, education system and financial and other institutions, many continuous from long before any Australian or US states were even thought of.
It was a sovereign country until the union of parliaments. The earlier union of crowns was a Scottish initiative.
It has its own parliament which raises and distributes its own taxes.

Except for the dates and the union of crowns, that is all true of Texas and Hawaii, and arguably the 13 original US states (also arguably Maine, Vermont, and West Virginia, which were part of states on that list of 13). Except for the prior sovereignty, it is true of all 50 US states.

I am not arguing that they should count.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:33 pm

They joined the union as states, not countries.

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:31 pm

If you go to Rio and stay at the Copacabana, but you visit a favela, have you been to two countries? Seems like the answer should be yes.

polardude1 wrote:If I dared to count the Golan Heights as Syria, I would be in deep shit with my family.

Didn't think of that. That would add a country for me.

GLimpet wrote:BTW, I just had to tell our accountants how many individual flights I took last 12-month period and it came to 71.

You should get extra points for minimizing the number of flights.

We were in Cinqueterre a few years ago and we met a guy who was telling us about all the places he had been to on his current awesome trip. Something like Everest Base Camp, Zambia, Croatia, Patagonia, and now Italy (I don't really remember, but you get the idea). He was so excited and then his expression darkened and he said "but I feel really bad about my carbon footprint".

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:20 pm

I'm ok with counting it as a country if they have sent a team to the Olympics:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_p ... tical_list

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:15 am

For all the St. Helena wannabes, you no longer have to take a week-long boat from Cape Town. You can fly there starting today.

The official opening of the St. Helena airport, built on the island's Prosperous Bay Plain for about $380 million of British taxpayers' money, was supposed to happen in May 2016. But a Comair Boeing 737 test flight at the airport encountered severe wind shear, a phenomenon referring to a quick change in wind speed or direction, or both. That prompted harsh criticism of the British government in a parliamentary report that said the failure to foresee the difficult weather conditions was "staggering."

Larger aircraft can land at the airport but with weight restrictions, meaning fewer passengers. SA Airlink's smaller Embraer E190 is carrying nearly 80 passengers, including "Saints" — the nickname for people from St. Helena — tour operators from South Africa and journalists. The flight from Johannesburg includes a stop in Windhoek, the Namibian capital.

The SA Airlink plane conducted 13 flight trials at the St. Helena airport in August, according to a statement by island authorities. Some charter and medical evacuation flights have used the airport in the past year.

Tourism would bring a much-needed boost to St. Helena, which lies about 1,930 kilometers (1,200 miles) west of the border between Angola and Namibia, the nearest mainland. The island's biggest industry was once growing flax for the manufacture of rope, but St. Helena's population of more than 4,000 people is now heavily dependent on British government support.

Published in December, the British parliamentary report that criticized the handling of the airport said significant tourism growth is needed for the island to become economically self-sufficient and that a local entity promoting development "has some way to go to improve the marketing for the island's location and attractions."

Discovered by Portuguese mariners in 1502, St. Helena was a way station for ships for centuries and was a key port for Britain's East India Company. It was also an ideal spot for the British to keep prisoners, including a Zulu prince and his retinue, thousands of Boer prisoners from South Africa's conflict near the beginning of the 20th century and, of course, Napoleon.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/one-worlds-most-remote-islands-gets-commercial-flights-072314598.html
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:05 am

I've been to paradise...

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Texas was an independent Republic prior to joining the union. It ceased to be a country when it joined the country called the United States.

The Democratic Republic of Germany ceased to be a oountry when it joined the country called the Federal Republic of Germany.

Northand South Yemen (I forget the formal styles) ceased to be countries when they formed the country called the Republic of Yemen.

Holland, Brabant, etc. ceased to be countries when they formed the country called the United Provinces.

Scotland and England ceased to be countries when they formed the country called the United Kingdom.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Yes, let's do this again.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:Yes, let's do this again.

I know, right! :roll:

This why you need a reference list (If you like lists)...people will never agree on what is an independent country and what isn't....this why i like prefer the TCC list to the United Nations list.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 am

andybox wrote:I've been to paradise...

Yorkshire is not a country.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:55 am

Lincoln wrote:
ben_hanscombe wrote:Yes, let's do this again.

I know, right! :roll:

This why you need a reference list (If you like lists)...people will never agree on what is an independent country and what isn't....this why i like prefer the TCC list to the United Nations list.

Let me guess which one gives you a higher score.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Lincoln has been to eleventy billion countries !!! He wins the internet. Of course, he couldn't really tell you a thing about any of them, aside from how easy/difficult it might have been to score some weed in each of them. What a bunch of wank.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:31 pm

And yet Moe and Vinny i've spent years on the road travelling...but don't let that stop you too inventing the facts to fit your narrative,hell, i'm impressed you two even have passports....i heard some trivia the other day that said over 80% of Americans have never had a passport.

So well done you for at least managing that....although i'm yet to read any travel report from either of you, do you actually travel?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:12 am

Years on the road traveling, learning nothing along the way. When is the last time you looked into the history or anything else of a place that you've visited beyond where to buy put, you angry twig muncher? Never? You rock up in a foreign land and expose your family to all kinds of legal issues while you seek out some mota and then roll home as stupid as you were when you left. Why bother leaving; you could watch travelogues from the comfort of your couch without worrying about access to shitty weed and exposing your family to being on the next episode of locked up abroad because you're a moron?
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:13 am

By the way, I've posted travelogues here, you ought to learn how to use the search function, you utter shitforbrains idiot.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 am

Oh dear, touched a nerve have I Moe?

Where does all your rage come from?....are you dis-satisfied with your lot is life?

Sounds to me like you need to hit the road and chill out old man,i'd suggest India for you, you'll see sights you've never seen before just walking around 1 block in Mumbai....of course you will have to dust off that passport and actually get off your ass and travel which is a challenge for you I realise.

Bon voyage.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:02 am

lincs does a lot of travel thats true. the other two?
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:03 am

Do you think Moe could handle India Hatter?

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:47 pm

Lincoln wrote:Do you think Moe could handle India Hatter?
Nah. Hes more a double decker bus tour from outside the hotel kinda guy.
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Boom Rasta!

Lincoln arrives in Barbados and his travel balls just keep getting bigger and bigger....it's country number 98 .

Suck on on my travel balls....Suck on 'em good.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 am

Now you need a spreadsheet, Lincs: "country" versus year you first visited it (two lists: one for real countries and the other for this list).
Stick a trend line through them and figure out how many places you'll likely make it to before carking it.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:17 pm

It's country Devindesmit Devini for the Stews most popular traveler......thats 99 to those of you that don't speak Lativian.

Yes that's right,Lincoln and his huge travel balls rolls in to Riga.

How awesome am I ?

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Make sure 100 is a cool one.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:27 pm

I've got Montenegro booked for the next trip so it'll be there...anywhere new is cool to me,Im easily pleased...today for example the highlight was the door handle on an old door...blew me away!

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:51 pm

I was in Zambia and had a chance to make a day trip to Botwsana to make 100, but my wife asked me to wait for her so she could be with me when I did it. We were going to go to Croatia. But then the trip got cancelled and soon afterwards Ghana became 100. Not as cool.

At the rate you seem to be going you'll pass me soon.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:09 am

We’re they all real countries, electrolyte, or did they include places like Madeira, Gibraltar, Asian Turkey, European Turkey, Crete, etc?

Electrolyte

Post by Electrolyte » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:43 am

The most questionable countries on my list are Vatican and Monaco. Other slightly iffy ones, or at least ones to be sneered at, are Liechtenstein, San Marino, Puerto Rico, and Taiwan.

If I go by the Century Club list I can add Galapagos Islands, Hawaiian Islands, Dodecanese Is. (Rhodes), Sicily, Trans Dniester, 2xTurkey, Egypt in Asia (Sinai Peninsula), Zanzibar, Abu Dhabi, and Lesser Sunda Islands (Bali,Timor, Indonesia).

Is Crete a separate one on the CC list? I have to add that to my CC count.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:34 am

OK - they’re all real countries then (except maybe Puerto Rico).
Lincoln - listen and learn ;)

I’ve lost count of exactly how many countries I’ve been to, but it’s somewhere round about 70. More often than not these days, I’m revisiting places I’ve already been, along with family.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat May 26, 2018 4:27 pm

It's coming....big day for me tomorrow :D

I expect there'll be some sort of welcoming committee waiting for me at the border.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Sat May 26, 2018 5:13 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 am
andybox wrote:I've been to paradise...
Yorkshire is not a country.
Yes! Love it.

I don't remember where I was but probably need to add another group of countries. But we are all using different criteria and lists- someone needs to post a definitive list and rules.

I do think though that passport stamping should not be a criteria- too many times countries just don't bother any more. Or there you are in the EU and nobody stamps anything. That can't be right- surely France and Germany and Portugal are 3 separate countries, just as an example.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Sat May 26, 2018 5:14 pm

Lincoln wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:27 pm
It's coming....big day for me tomorrow :D

I expect there'll be some sort of welcoming committee waiting for me at the border.
The marching bands are practicing as I type.

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat May 26, 2018 5:42 pm

I'm nervous i wont make it there 5waldos....i said i wouldn't drink or smoke today as ive got to get up and get to the airport but i'm hammered now and its only 6.40 ...and theres a bit fotty gAME ON TONIGHT

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 pm

So how many will it be in terms of real countries?

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sat May 26, 2018 6:05 pm

Not sure Yorkshire...but it'll be more than you :lol:

Gotta have some kind of list and i've plumped for this one...