Travelers Century Club.

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Post Reply
User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:22 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:
ben_hanscombe wrote:
Goldie wrote:The man asked the old lady how many countries she'd been to, when she said she hadn't been to very many he said, and I quote, "sure you have, you've been to Spain and Tenerife and Gran Canaria and Scotland, that's lots of countries." The mind boggles.

The mind may boggle, but I don't see how that translates to the 'arrogance' you mentioned further up. You need a better example.

Desperation not to end up sounding stupid in his own troll?


God, I even put an ie and a female avatar and I still get called a he. It's no lie. Not even an exaggeration, and it was even last week.

User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:36 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Goldie wrote:The man asked the old lady how many countries she'd been to, when she said she hadn't been to very many he said, and I quote, "sure you have, you've been to Spain and Tenerife and Gran Canaria and Scotland, that's lots of countries." The mind boggles.

The mind may boggle, but I don't see how that translates to the 'arrogance' you mentioned further up. You need a better example.


You mean like football teams? At the world cup there don't seem to be any other provinces/states entered, it's generally all countries in the UN sense of the word isn't it? I don't follow football so I'm willing to be corrected here but my impression is Texas doesn't get its own team and neither does a bit of The Netherlands. Why does the UK get special treatment and how is that not a case of interchanging the meaning of the word country?

I also seem to recall controversy over Scotland/England/Wales competing as a single Country at the London Olympics.

Rugby is another but at least it's 6 Nations and not 6 countries, but they still compete on other internationals as 'countries.'

What do they do for cricket?

User avatar
egjeg
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:36 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by egjeg » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:49 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:
egjeg wrote:Interesting that UKers might be offended if Scotland or whales were not called countries, while Chinese will be deeply offended if Taiwan, Hk, Macau, or Tibet are referred to as such.

I call whales cetaceans.

I could blame autocorrect, but then I'd be a liar as well as a moron.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12842
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Goldie wrote:God, I even put an ie and a female avatar and I still get called a he. It's no lie. Not even an exaggeration, and it was even last week.

Oops - if it's any consolation, I have avatars turned off - a throwback from when I used to post from work.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

User avatar
sara666
Ambivalent Chilli
Posts: 7159
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by sara666 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:25 pm

That list of "countries" is weird. I go by proper visits only and nation states; if in doubt I'll work out if it counts or not (e.g. I'd count all of Britain as 1 including e.g. Gibraltar). Not that I'd count it as a country, but don't Texans have their own passports?
Free the Nigerian goat robber - PM me your credit card details to make a donation!

User avatar
andybox
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28253
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by andybox » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:03 am

The list gives Tasmania as a separate country. These people are 100% fucking idiots.

User avatar
2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14731
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:51 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by 2wilzgood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:24 am

I am satisfied with my own criteria. Fer example, Texas is not a separate notch. (Pack of wankers the lot of em.)

However Aland is, as it was a boat ride to get to, and the postal card I posted there had an Aland stamp.

Eighty, by my reckoning.
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:07 am

So, what, English people are arrogant because the Home Nations play as separate teams in the football, or the Home Nations play as separate teams because English people are arrogant? Again, you're not making much sense.

You mean like football teams? At the world cup there don't seem to be any other provinces/states entered, it's generally all countries in the UN sense of the word isn't it?

No, it isn't. And England is neither a province nor a state, so I reject your wording.
I don't follow football so I'm willing to be corrected here but my impression is Texas doesn't get its own team and neither does a bit of The Netherlands.

Beautiful. The Kingdom of the Netherlands has four constituent countries, all of which compete individually in the football. You don't see Aruba or Curaçao in the World Cup because they're not very good, but they have national teams. French Polynesia, the overseas country of the French Republic, competes internationally as Tahiti. Macau and Hong Kong compete independently from China. Any number of places that aren't independent nation states have national teams: Puerto Rico, Palestine, loads of US and UK dependencies in the Caribbean. Texas isn't relevant.

Why does the UK get special treatment and how is that not a case of interchanging the meaning of the word country?

It doesn't. International football is, in reality, not a competition between teams representing 'countries' but between teams representing national football associations. The Home Nations have individual FAs for historical reasons: the English FA is the world's oldest football association and was formed in 1863, initially covering only London and the south but covering the whole of England from 1877 when it merged its rules with those of the Sheffield Football Association. By that point, Scotland and Wales already had their own FAs. Ireland's formed in 1880. It was nine more years before a non-British FA was formed, by which time the Home Nations were already playing regular international tournaments. Why wouldn't they compete separately?

It's the same in rugby and cricket. You mention the Six Nations: do you know what those six nations are? One of them is Ireland, representing the whole island of Ireland. One of the cricketing 'test nations' is the West Indies, representing fifteen different countries and dependencies. This is why sporting national teams are not particularly helpful or relevant to working out what 'country' means. Try again.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12842
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Speaking of which, I always like seeing the Faroe Islands team making a go of it against the likes of Scotland.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:06 pm

So, what, English people are arrogant because the Home Nations play as separate teams in the football, or the Home Nations play as separate teams because English people are arrogant? Again, you're not making much sense.

Yeah just so you know , nobody outside the UK knows or cares about 'Home Nations'. It's your invention, for domestic consumption.

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:12 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:
eric84 wrote:I do love this conceit about using 'countries' to describe sub national entities in the UK.

You mean non-sovereign entities? Yep - perfectly normal.
Next thing you know, someone will be claiming Texas isn't a state because it's not a sovereign entity like other independent states. It's about time we called that place the UPA - United Provinces of America. Which is "One Nation, Under God"... and part of the United Nations... but then the Canadian First Nations aren't independent states, or even countries, nor even provinces. We need a new name for them too - Maybe First Municipalities (or Premiers Arrondissements to suit Celine Dion's bunch) has a catchy ring to it, don't you think? :)

We have it sorted in Canada.
We let First Nations call themselves First Nations. We let the Quebec legislative body call itself a National Assembly.
It does not cost the real country- Canada- anything and keeps them happy, but has no meaning outside or really inside the country.
The only difference between Canada and the UK with the recognition of constituent 'countries' is that we are aware of the joke and you are not.
hth.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 pm

Beautiful. The Kingdom of the Netherlands has four constituent countries, all of which compete individually in the football. You don't see Aruba or Curaçao in the World Cup because they're not very good, but they have national teams.


Hm, at the baseball world cup, the Netherlands was the team name despite the fact most of the players were likely from Curacao or Aruba. I guess they allow this 'country' silliness in soccer only.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Hmm, where did my reply go? Anyway,

Ben, I find it humorous that you cannot understand how non-Brits perceive the situation with the World Cup. History means nothing to North Americans. (And it was Eric that said arrogant, not me.)

England is neither a province nor a state


What is it then? Semantics aside? If it not equivalent to a province/state what is it equivalent to?

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:08 pm

What is it then? Semantics aside? If it not equivalent to a province/state what is it equivalent to?
It's a wistful, romantic dream. Like Camelot.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 pm

thoughtpolice wrote:Yeah just so you know , nobody outside the UK knows or cares about 'Home Nations'.

I know you don't care. You personally have told me a fair few times just how much you don't care.

eric84 wrote:Hm, at the baseball world cup, the Netherlands was the team name despite the fact most of the players were likely from Curacao or Aruba. I guess they allow this 'country' silliness in soccer only.

You guess wrong. Had they qualified, there would have been an Aruban team at the 2011 Baseball World Cup. It's only in 2013 that players from the Dutch constituent countries have been playing for a single Kingdom of the Netherlands team. Link.

Goldie wrote:Ben, I find it humorous that you cannot understand how non-Brits perceive the situation with the World Cup. History means nothing to North Americans.

What is "the situation with the World Cup" exactly? The only reason non-Brits give a shit is because occasionally there's two UK teams in an international tournament and some other European team gets pissed off that they'd have qualified if the Home Nations competed as a single UK side. How do non-Brits feel about the existence of a Hong Kong national side? How do non-Brits feel about England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland competing separately in the rugby? Help me understand.

What is it then? Semantics aside?

Semantics aside? This is an entirely semantic debate. And if you don't know my answer to this question by now then you haven't been reading my posts.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15891
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Wed May 01, 2013 1:40 pm

Ben,don't let Thoughtpolice wind you up.....he is a class 1 bell-end.

The whole debate seems to have morphed into wether England is a country or not....seeing as we are refering to the Travel Century Club here then it IS a country regardless of what thought-wanker says.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:30 pm

You guess wrong. Had they qualified, there would have been an Aruban team at the 2011 Baseball World Cup. It's only in 2013 that players from the Dutch constituent countries have been playing for a single Kingdom of the Netherlands team. Link.



So, actually, I'm right. Now. Ok. Anyways, the success of a united Dutch team in baseball should really give you some pause. Maybe the 'constituent countries' of the UK ought to unite in soccer and actually win something.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed May 01, 2013 4:44 pm

No, you were wrong. The move away from an Aruban team to a united Dutch team was an internal decision, not prompted by any rule change. An Aruban team would still be allowed. Meanwhile, there's a Great Britain baseball team and an Ireland baseball team, neither of which represent a nation state.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Wed May 01, 2013 6:50 pm

I know you don't care. You personally have told me a fair few times just how much you don't care.

I can't take all the credit, there are several billion others that feel the same.

The ones that do care, outside the UK, are the soccer associations in Chermany, Spain, France, Italy and many others. They must have a right snigger when they roll over the English, Scottish , Welsh 'national teams' decade after decade.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Wed May 01, 2013 7:27 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:No, you were wrong. The move away from an Aruban team to a united Dutch team was an internal decision, not prompted by any rule change. .


Whatever prompted the decision, it was clearly the right one.


An Aruban team would still be allowed. Meanwhile, there's a Great Britain baseball team and an Ireland baseball team, neither of which represent a nation state


Ireland isn't a nation state?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Wed May 01, 2013 8:19 pm

Eric, it's the island of Ireland no the country. North and South, united in sport.

Ben and Lincoln, it's good to try to see thing from other people's perspectives. Try to think of the situation from a non-Englishman's view. In a non-imperial way.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15891
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Wed May 01, 2013 8:32 pm

You are correct of course Goldie....but i'm not even following the argument i'm just trying to wind up thought-twat.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:54 pm

Eric, it's the island of Ireland no the country. North and South, united in sport.



Either way, it's still a nation state in.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Thu May 02, 2013 9:26 am

thoughtpolice wrote:The ones that do care, outside the UK, are the soccer associations in Chermany, Spain, France, Italy and many others.

Thank you for taking the time to explain that to me; I was unaware of it despite making the same point four posts earlier.

Whatever prompted the decision, it was clearly the right one.

If the Aruban players were what helped the Netherlands team win the tournament then more power to them. If you think it says anything at all to the question of whether or not England is a country, then you're being silly.

Ben and Lincoln, it's good to try to see thing from other people's perspectives. Try to think of the situation from a non-Englishman's view.

The non-Englishman's point of view seems to be based on a rigid definition of a word that's not suited to rigid definition.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Thu May 02, 2013 11:13 am

The non-Englishman's point of view seems to be based on a rigid definition of a word that's not suited to rigid definition.


That's why I said England is effectively a province or state. You disagreed with that. It's true I can to the thread late and haven't read the first page or so.

User avatar
matt_melb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8628
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by matt_melb » Thu May 02, 2013 11:47 am

Ben, what differences do you see between UK constituent countries, and Australian states?

The main difference I see is that the states have parliamentary sovereignty (subject to qualifications that have arisen because of their vountary decisions to cede some power to federal parliament), while the constituent countries do not.

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:45 pm

If the Aruban players were what helped the Netherlands team win the tournament then more power to them. If you think it says anything at all to the question of whether or not England is a country, then you're being silly.



It says something about the pretence of England as an entity is meaningful in anyway. Clearly, there's some stubborness about this which prevents the 'constituent countries' from uniting in international soccer competitions. Clearly, Aruba go over it to their benefit.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Thu May 02, 2013 3:11 pm

That's two consecutive posts that have made no sense at all; you are to sentence construction what polardude is to typing.

eric84 wrote:Clearly, Aruba go over it to their benefit.

And in the rugby, the world game would clearly be poorer if England, Wales and Scotland were part of a UK team. So in terms of sports that aren't relevant, it's 1-1. A tie! I know how North Americans like ties.

Goldie wrote:
The non-Englishman's point of view seems to be based on a rigid definition of a word that's not suited to rigid definition.


That's why I said England is effectively a province or state. You disagreed with that. It's true I can to the thread late and haven't read the first page or so.


I disagreed with you when you said that England isn't a country, and I disagreed with you when you referred to "other provinces and states" in the context of England, because England is neither a province or a state. It's an internal division of a nation state and corresponds to other countries' provinces or states; if you got the idea that I don't think England is equivalent to a province or state in other countries then I expressed myself poorly, because of course it is. But it's not a province or a state any more than Texas is a province or British Columbia is a state.

This is why I pointed out a few posts ago that this is a semantic debate, nothing more.

Matt, if you want to go slightly deeper, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are roughly equivalent to the Australian states, and England is equivalent to an overgrown Washington, DC: governed by central government and regional authorities but without its own state-equivalent government.

But Australia's internal divisions are states, same as the US's, and Canada's are provinces, and the UK's are countries.

Semantics.

Can we stop now?
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:50 pm

And in the rugby, the world game would clearly be poorer if England, Wales and Scotland were part of a UK team. So in terms of sports that aren't relevant, it's 1-1. A tie! I know how North Americans like ties.



That's very sporting and noble of the UK to stay purposely divided so as avoid sporting triumph and to make rugby a 'richer sport'.....hilarious.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Thu May 02, 2013 5:00 pm

Try to think of the situation from a non-Englishman's view. In a non-imperial way.

The alternative is to think of it in an objective and analytical way.
Not going to happen inside the UK.

User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Thu May 02, 2013 5:27 pm

I disagreed with you when you said that England isn't a country, and I disagreed with you when you referred to "other provinces and states" in the context of England, because England is neither a province or a state.


For the sake of arguing, you disagreed with me above when I referred to no other province/states being included. As in, no other "subdivisions of nation states" which I thought would have been clear given the context. But otherwise I think we're saying the same thing. Except that, as a Canadian, I completely understand how North Americans perceive the calling UK of subdivisions 'countries' as being arrogant and clinging to an imperialist history. What would the British think if Americans called their states countries? (But the UK didn't.) If it were the United Countries of America? You'd think arrogant, no question.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Goldie wrote:For the sake of arguing, you disagreed with me above when I referred to no other province/states being included. As in, no other "subdivisions of nation states" which I thought would have been clear given the context.

No, I rejected your choice of words because to do otherwise would be to accept implicitly that England is a province or state.
Except that, as a Canadian, I completely understand how North Americans perceive the calling UK of subdivisions 'countries' as being arrogant and clinging to an imperialist history.

How on earth is it 'imperialist'?
What would the British think if Americans called their states countries? (But the UK didn't.) If it were the United Countries of America? You'd think arrogant, no question.

A meaningless hypothetical. You can do better.

I thought I was meeting you half way in my previous post, but apparently you've no intention of letting me do so - while accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing and refusing to see others' point of view.

eric wrote:That's very sporting and noble of the UK to stay purposely divided so as avoid sporting triumph and to make rugby a 'richer sport'.....hilarious.

We don't compete separately to make rugby a richer sport, but rugby would be a poorer sport if we competed together. If you have a substantive issue to take with that, please go ahead and tell me.

thoughtpolice wrote:
Try to think of the situation from a non-Englishman's view. In a non-imperial way.

The alternative is to think of it in an objective and analytical way.
Not going to happen inside the UK.

Piss-weak ad hominem instead of engaging with the post where I thought about the situation in an objective and analytical way.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
eric84
Moderator
Posts: 55296
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by eric84 » Thu May 02, 2013 5:41 pm

We don't compete separately to make rugby a richer sport, but rugby would be a poorer sport if we competed together. If you have a substantive issue to take with that, please go ahead and tell me.



I thought my sarcasm made it pretty plain what I thought of your opinion but if it didn't sink in, here it goes more plainly: it's pretty arrogant to suppose that a united UK team would instantly result in triumph making the sport less competitive.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

User avatar
Goldie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Goldie » Thu May 02, 2013 5:43 pm

I was accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing, not you. I should have probably said "stateish or provincey" or even an 'etc' but I thought the gist of my meaning would be apparent. I see that you're okay with DCish. Perhaps England is a district.

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Maybe we should stop. It is getting late in Blighty and Ben is risking an aneurysm.
In a restrained, English(not British) way of course.
Piss-weak ad hominem

where did i insult you?

User avatar
milton
Your hero. Ram it
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 3:51 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by milton » Fri May 03, 2013 8:38 am

Lost Soul wrote:
i_have_shiny_shoes wrote:I don't know how many times this argument has been rehashed, but a nation and/or country is not necessarily synonymous with a sovereign state. The UK is the sovereign state, with England, Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland the union's constituent countries, as the Library of Congress helpfully notes:

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is the collective name of four countries, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The four separate countries were united under a single Parliament through a series of Acts of Union. The United Kingdom has recently undergone a period of devolution with the creation of the Scottish Parliament, the National Assembly for Wales, and the Northern Ireland Assembly that have the authority to legislate in defined areas.


Moreover, comparisons with states within the US are bunk, which is a federation, not a unitary state like the UK.

I saw an opening and I took it. And I knew I would be answering to you.

Nevertheless it seems England is giving up too much, like a healthy economy and a Parliament, in order to subsidize the l00sers in the Celtic fringe. Fuck em, starting with the Scots.

I realise you're trolling, but it's worth it, if only to remind us from time to time of what an unpleasant little specimen you are.
another scotch wetbrain

User avatar
milton
Your hero. Ram it
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 3:51 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by milton » Fri May 03, 2013 8:42 am

As to the sports queries from New World imbeciles, maybe this is a simple enough conceit: given that the games mentioned originated from these isles, why shouldn't we organise the way we play them as we please?

The first ever football "international" was played in Glasgow between Scotland and England. The constituent countries of the UK have played against each other ever since. The fact that everyone else now wants to play each other too is a nice thing, but I hardly see that it should influence us carrying on playing as we always have done.
another scotch wetbrain

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Fri May 03, 2013 10:20 am

eric84 wrote:I thought my sarcasm made it pretty plain what I thought of your opinion but if it didn't sink in, here it goes more plainly: it's pretty arrogant to suppose that a united UK team would instantly result in triumph making the sport less competitive.

Yes, your sneering made it clear what you thought, but what made your post worthless was that you didn't explain why you thought it. Now that you've explained, it's clear that you've misunderstood my point. I don't think a united UK team would instantly triumph. (A united British and Irish team tours sometimes and has a historical win percentage a bit under forty percent.) The world game would be poorer because instead of there being two or three UK teams able to compete at the highest level,there'd only be one. The Six Nations tournament would become the Four Nations, meaning fewer games, less interest, less revenue. The World Cup would have two fewer UK teams, meaning two more filler teams like Portugal or Namibia to come and lose all their group games. There'd be more pointless matches and more 100-0 thrashings by the big nations like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, France. The world game would be poorer. Plus, what milton said.

goldie wrote:I should have probably said "stateish or provincey" or even an 'etc' but I thought the gist of my meaning would be apparent. I see that you're okay with DCish. Perhaps England is a district.

No, England is a country. In a semantic debate, I'm not going to concede semantics.

thoughtpolice wrote:where did i insult you?

I'd have thought someone who'd been on the Stew for eight years would know what an ad hominem is by now, but you continue to disappoint me. You attacked the source of the argument - "not going to happen inside the UK" - because you couldn't engage with its substance. You still can't.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15891
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 am

Thought Police is just being pissy because he lives in one of our colonies.....got to love the Cannucks eh?

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Fri May 03, 2013 6:33 pm

Lincoln wrote:Thought Police is just being pissy because he lives in one of our colonies.....got to love the Cannucks eh?

Indeed. And let me -on behalf of the Canadian economy- again thank the UK for sending us all those well trained, well educated, motivated and hardworking citizens that have been unable to earn a living in Blighty. They'll have no trouble doing that here.
We see them all the time. They are your best and brightest, and they arrived here at no cost whatsoever to our taxpayers.
You've sent millions of them over several generations.
Please do not stop doing what you are doing.

PS :locally we ned a couple dozen radiology technicians. Good pay. You can start next week. Ta.

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Fri May 03, 2013 6:36 pm

You attacked the source of the argument

??? you are the source of one side of the argument, and I have not attacked you personally .
Where would you get that idea?

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Fri May 03, 2013 7:28 pm

You attacked the source of the argument, claiming that someone within the UK can't possibly debate this subject objectively or analytically. You are yet to point out a flaw in my post, or to engage with its substance in any way. This is what ad hominem is, by definition.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15989
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by thoughtpolice » Fri May 03, 2013 10:39 pm

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.[


You must feel very strongly indeed about this to think "not going to happen inside the UK" is the same as "Ben Hanscombe is a cunt". You are some kind of English sovereignty fiend if you feel insulted by this discussion. God help the Scots.
Tell you what, we'll put the question of "is England a country' to the main board on Monday, give everybody a shot at it.

User avatar
matt_melb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8628
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by matt_melb » Fri May 03, 2013 11:29 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:Matt, if you want to go slightly deeper, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are roughly equivalent to the Australian states, and England is equivalent to an overgrown Washington, DC: governed by central government and regional authorities but without its own state-equivalent government.

I like that. Thanks.

ben_hanscombe wrote:Can we stop now?

Apparently not.

Goldie wrote:Except that, as a Canadian, I completely understand how North Americans perceive the calling UK of subdivisions 'countries' as being arrogant and clinging to an imperialist history.

It only seems arrogant when people are counting how many countries they've visited, and the Brits insist on counting their 4 constituent countries while denying others the right to count their states. And even then ... if the rules of the game are set up that way and you don't like it, all you need to do is not play.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15891
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Sat May 04, 2013 12:36 pm

matt_melb wrote:
ben_hanscombe wrote:Matt, if you want to go slightly deeper, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales are roughly equivalent to the Australian states, and England is equivalent to an overgrown Washington, DC: governed by central government and regional authorities but without its own state-equivalent government.

I like that. Thanks.

ben_hanscombe wrote:Can we stop now?

Apparently not.

Goldie wrote:Except that, as a Canadian, I completely understand how North Americans perceive the calling UK of subdivisions 'countries' as being arrogant and clinging to an imperialist history.

It only seems arrogant when people are counting how many countries they've visited, and the Brits insist on counting their 4 constituent countries while denying others the right to count their states. And even then ... if the rules of the game are set up that way and you don't like it, all you need to do is not play.



Wot Mat said....it's the TCC list that counts,if you do't like the list contact them don't bash us Brits just we are better than all of you in the former colonies.

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8381
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sun May 05, 2013 7:11 pm

thoughtpolice wrote:
An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is an argument made personally against an opponent instead of against their argument.[


You must feel very strongly indeed about this to think "not going to happen inside the UK" is the same as "Ben Hanscombe is a cunt".


They're not the same, but they're both ad hominems. Your point in its entirety was that this person's argument (mine) cannot be trusted because it comes from a British person, which falls comfortably within the definition you posted. You still haven't engaged with the substance of my post; presumably you can't.

You are some kind of English sovereignty fiend if you feel insulted by this discussion.

Two points here. First, that an ad hominem doesn't have to be an insult. I don't feel insulted by this discussion. Second, I'm not claiming that Engand is sovereign. It isn't. It is a constituent country of a sovereign state. If you can get your head around that then we might, finally, be getting somewhere.

Tell you what, we'll put the question of "is England a country' to the main board on Monday, give everybody a shot at it.

Or alternatively you could call in reinforcements because you can't think how to win the debate. Up to you.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

User avatar
milton
Your hero. Ram it
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 3:51 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by milton » Sun May 05, 2013 7:37 pm

thoughtpolice wrote:
Lincoln wrote:Thought Police is just being pissy because he lives in one of our colonies.....got to love the Cannucks eh?

Indeed. And let me -on behalf of the Canadian economy- again thank the UK for sending us all those well trained, well educated, motivated and hardworking citizens that have been unable to earn a living in Blighty. They'll have no trouble doing that here.
We see them all the time. They are your best and brightest, and they arrived here at no cost whatsoever to our taxpayers.
You've sent millions of them over several generations.
Please do not stop doing what you are doing.

PS :locally we ned a couple dozen radiology technicians. Good pay. You can start next week. Ta.


So the "best and brightest" from here are the ones that can't earn a living?

Have you thought this through?
another scotch wetbrain

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15891
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Sun May 05, 2013 7:58 pm

Ha ! I missed that one....nice one milton.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15891
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by Lincoln » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:54 pm

Just arrived in Copenhagen........country number 81

Suck on my balls.

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12842
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Travelers Century Club.

Post by simon_in_exile » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:37 am

Copenhagen is not a country :wink:
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Post Reply