Fly and Drive or Just Fly - Australia

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Fly and Drive or Just Fly - Australia

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:57 am

I've got to take one flight on Qantas to retain my status for the coming year. I'm thinking about a quick, cheap trip - perhaps a flight to Brisbane or Sydney followed by a coastal drive or maybe a flight up to the reef and a few dives. Any ideas for a quick trip out of Melbourne. I've spent a lot of time in Perf and Adelaide in the past few years refereeing tournaments, so they're out. Never been to the red centre, Darwin or Broome - or lower coastal NSW/ Vic. Any ideas are welcome.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Re: Fly and Drive or Just Fly - Australia

Post by Wilster » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:23 am

Fly to Darwin, take the Ghan (train) back to Melbourne; easy peasy.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

I’ll answer my own question: — VinnyD

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:21 am

The Ghan is super expensive.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:53 am

misanthrope wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:57 am
. Any ideas for a quick trip out of Melbourne.
Define "quick" distances people travel here compared to England is huge. Anyway...

Great Ocean Road is fantastic. Follow it all the way to Peterborough - after that it stops being great.

+4hrs drive to Wilson's Prom - a fantastic national park.

3hrs to the Grampians - stunning place with great hikes.

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:59 am

Tasmania not an option for you?
Easy flight from Melbourne and you can do a bit of a loop - Fly in Hobart or Launceston, fly out the other city. Drive btw the two.
I should post in the Travel Journalism thread our recent trip. Lots of good hiking, great food and drink and generally easy driving.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:06 am

Bastet wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:53 am
misanthrope wrote:
. Any ideas for a quick trip out of Melbourne.
Define "quick" distances people travel here compared to England is huge. Anyway...

Great Ocean Road is fantastic. Follow it all the way to Peterborough - after that it stops being great.

+4hrs drive to Wilson's Prom - a fantastic national park.

3hrs to the Grampians - stunning place with great hikes.
I've been to all of those places many times. Thanks for the input, though.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:07 am

erkat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:59 am
Tasmania not an option for you?
Easy flight from Melbourne and you can do a bit of a loop - Fly in Hobart or Launceston, fly out the other city. Drive btw the two.
I should post in the Travel Journalism thread our recent trip. Lots of good hiking, great food and drink and generally easy driving.
I love Tasmania, but I've done this many times as well. I'm thinking mainland.

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:14 am

Fair enough on Tasmania then.

Lower coastal NSW - I haven't been all that far south to comment. I do like exploring round the Shoalhaven area - some good wineries, decent beaches, a bit of walking. I think Glimpet has a travel thread on the coastal drive btw Sydney and Melbourne.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:15 am

misanthrope wrote:
I'm thinking about a quick, cheap trip
a mileage run? just do a "same day turn" and get it all done and out of the way. lock your status in quickly!

Sat, Nov 30, 6:35 AM – 7:25 AM, Qantas 671,1h 20m, MEL–ADL, Nonstop
Sat, Nov 30, 1:05 PM – 2:55 PM, Qantas 686, 1h 20m, ADL–MEL, Nonstop
304 AUD

or do a similar to SYD for about the same AUD.

you can play with the dates so that your destination time (in ADL or SYD or wherever) is much less. or you can plan it so that the aircraft that takes you to your destination is the same aircraft that brings you back. thus, no possibilities of the mileage run going pear-shaped.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:50 am

erkat wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:14 am
Fair enough on Tasmania then.

Lower coastal NSW - I haven't been all that far south to comment. I do like exploring round the Shoalhaven area - some good wineries, decent beaches, a bit of walking. I think Glimpet has a travel thread on the coastal drive btw Sydney and Melbourne.
I have been watching that thread.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:52 am

cummy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:15 am
misanthrope wrote:
a mileage run? just do a "same day turn" and get it all done and out of the way. lock your status in quickly!

304 AUD

you can play with the dates so that your destination time (in ADL or SYD or wherever) is much less. or you can plan it so that the aircraft that takes you to your destination is the same aircraft that brings you back. thus, no possibilities of the mileage run going pear-shaped.
A good way to game it with the airlines but I want to make a little trip out of it. I love Adelaide and the wine country there and have a lot of buddies there, but I'm thinking further afield.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 am

Brisbane blows. But just south of town has a bunch of worthy car-tour scenery. There are about a half-dozen national parks surrounding Mt. Warning. It's beautiful country from Byron Bay to the NW. Even a random-sounding town like Kyogle has its virtues. Even closer is the whole region just west of Byron Bay. Check out The Channon for your red roads and green forest experience.

There is a lot more to see between Brisbane and Sydney. The Waterfall Way between Urunga and Armidale is worthy in the spring. And if you hit the Oxley Highway at Walcha, and aim downhill to Port Macquarie, you won't be disappointed.

The best way around Sydney. if you're driving back, is to get off the New England HW at Singleton. It's about 100 miles of wilderness until you hit Bell's Line of Roads. Hang a right and aim for Mt. Victoria/Blackheath. Blackheath is worthy. Hanging a right at Penrith means you get to dodge Sydney either on the coast through Gippsland, or through the mountains. Just don't drive the Hume Highway unless you're in a hurry to get to Melburn.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 am

misanthrope wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:52 am
cummy wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:15 am
misanthrope wrote:

304 AUD

A good way to game it with the airlines but I want to make a little trip out of it. I love Adelaide and the wine country there and have a lot of buddies there, but I'm thinking further afield.
This might be interesting. I can definitely play with the dates. I'm just hoping to something to see less traveled and interesting.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:27 am
Brisbane blows. But just south of town has a bunch of worthy car-tour scenery. There are about a half-dozen national parks surrounding Mt. Warning. It's beautiful country from Byron Bay to the NW. Even a random-sounding town like Kyogle has its virtues. Even closer is the whole region just west of Byron Bay. Check out The Channon for your red roads and green forest experience.

There is a lot more to see between Brisbane and Sydney. The Waterfall Way between Urunga and Armidale is worthy in the spring. And if you hit the Oxley Highway at Walcha, and aim downhill to Port Macquarie, you won't be disappointed.

The best way around Sydney. if you're driving back, is to get off the New England HW at Singleton. It's about 100 miles of wilderness until you hit Bell's Line of Roads. Hang a right and aim for Mt. Victoria/Blackheath. Blackheath is worthy. Hanging a right at Penrith means you get to dodge Sydney either on the coast through Gippsland, or through the mountains. Just don't drive the Hume Highway unless you're in a hurry to get to Melburn.
Maybe I'll fly into Brisbane and out of somewhere on that coast.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:26 pm
The Sunshine Coast, Mooloolaba; don't go to BrisieVegas.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 am

Wilster wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 pm
misanthrope wrote:
I won't stay in Brisbane, but I might fly into there and drive out.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:37 am

Three years ago, I had meetings in Sydney and Brisbane and wanted to see a luthier in Bega then get back to Melbourne for the weekend.

Meetings done, flew back down to Sydney, caught an afternoon Regional Express flight to Merimbula (MIM), hired a car, stayed overnight in a motel, drove to see the guy in Bega, sat and caught up with work in a cafe there for a few hours, drove back to MIM, caught a flight with 4 other passengers on a dodgy , now defunct, airline called Free Spirit to MEB (Essendon) with a plane they'd borrowed from Sharp and got an Uber back to town.

Kind of interesting flying in a 9-seater at low altitude over the Snowies.

We were free to use our phones so as I looked down at the dense dark mountain forest I messaged son he might not see me again unless the rescue workers found me before the dingoes.

A storm was brewing over Melbourne and the pilot thought we might have to land at Moorabbin which would have been another first for me.

As it was, MEB was a first for the Uber driver too who had trouble finding his way in.

The bags (for the two or three of us who checked bags) were unloaded by the pilot and brought through by him in a little mesh handcart.

Anyway, that might give you some ideas.

Not sure if you'd get any status or credit for Regional Express flights home and they're seldom cheap but the QF flight up to Sydney can be got cheap enough.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:12 pm

So you'd recommend that drive between Sydney and Melbourne? Merimbula looks nice. I haven't been further east of Wilson's Prom in Vic.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 am

Northern NSW from the border down to Bellingin is really nice driving countryside.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 am
Wilster wrote:
misanthrope wrote:
I ain't referring to Brisbane proper; that's actually not too bad and would recommend the West End area.

BrisieVegas = Gold Coast...I was referring to the Gold Coast specifically.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Wilster wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:03 pm
misanthrope wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:25 am
Wilster wrote:

I ain't referring to Brisbane proper; that's actually not too bad and would recommend the West End area.

BrisieVegas = Gold Coast...I was referring to the Gold Coast specifically.
I will avoid the Gold Coast. Just wondering of Byron to Syd is comparable to Syd to Melb.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:14 am

I really enjoyed Darwin. I was bumming around, not doing much in particular, but there was great seafood to eat, a lovely tropical feel to everything, and it was all walkable. And going to Kakadu was fantastic - really enjoyed the park. EVen the time I only went for a day trip was worth it (on a tour bus). Though it was much better going back with a vehicle - swimming in the croc-free streams/waterfalls, getting to caves, birdwatching on the river, etc.

Of course, that was in 1991 or so. Nothing more current to go by.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:43 am

If Mis needs to fly before the end of the year I'd probably rule out Darwin because of the humidity.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:31 am

Darwin or Alice Springs.

Brisbane and the area around there is nice but not HUGELY different to Sydney scenery: a few more palms, a few less ferns.

For a short trip, Darwin or Alice give the short, sharp shock that you get from experiencing a totally different side of Australia. So it’s summer and probably scorching hot, but it’s only a short trip.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:34 am

بھائی اوتار لینا wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:18 am
Northern NSW from the border down to Bellingin is really nice driving countryside.
That’s also true. I’ll be there next month for a bit.

yehyeh
Stew Ingredient

Post by yehyeh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm

Fly into Brisbane and drive:
- north and explore the Sunshine Coast, up to Noosa and the hinterland to Maleny, Montville (alternatively you could fly into Maroochydore)
- south to the Gold Coast and northern New South Wales including Bangalow, Lennox Heads, Uki, Nimbin (alternatively you could fly into Coolangatta)
- keep going south to Coffs Harbour (I've just stayed at Red Rock and Sawtell - lovely quiet beach towns either side of Coffs) and then up the Waterfall Way to Bellingen and Dorrigo (alternatively you could fly into Coffs)

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:51 pm

ADL. do a quick turn like the below itin. or stay a few days in ADL. same price. 279AUD. lots of flight availability at whatever times you want.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 am

yehyeh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:19 pm
- north and explore the Sunshine Coast, up to Noosa and the hinterland to Maleny, Montville (alternatively you could fly into Maroochydore)
- south to the Gold Coast and northern New South Wales including Bangalow, Lennox Heads, Uki, Nimbin (alternatively you could fly into Coolangatta)
- keep going south to Coffs Harbour (I've just stayed at Red Rock and Sawtell - lovely quiet beach towns either side of Coffs) and then up the Waterfall Way to Bellingen and Dorrigo (alternatively you could fly into Coffs)
This sounds like the thing I'm looking for. Thanks.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:28 am

Dont go to the centre, it will be unbearably hot this time of year. Darwin likewise but with 90% humidity.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:04 am
yehyeh wrote:
yeah well get fucked then arsehole, that's pretty much what I wrote a few posts up..

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 pm

بھائی اوتار لینا wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm
misanthrope wrote:
yehyeh wrote:
yeah well get fucked then arsehole, that's pretty much what I wrote a few posts up..
Chill, bro. I appreciate your help. Only thing I'm worried about now is accom. I'd better go before school is out. Going to go south from Coolangatta, though. I've been to Noosa and surrounds.

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:03 pm

I'd look at the fire situation up that way - sure, the fires will hopefully be out but it isn't going to be pleasant scenic drives for some areas. Still could be smoke around, still could be RFS around, communities trying to pick up.
I go back to looking at Sydney to Melbourne.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:06 am

Hadn't thought about that.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:56 am

misanthrope wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 pm
بھائی اوتار لینا wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:51 pm
misanthrope wrote:

Chill, bro. I appreciate your help. Only thing I'm worried about now is accom. I'd better go before school is out. Going to go south from Coolangatta, though. I've been to Noosa and surrounds.
All real nice country to get lost in south of tweed heads, mt warning 5k walk to the top, nimbin, mullumbimby, byron bay, bellingin, dorrigo rainforest walk, heaps of other little villages along the coast there.
Just dont stop at coffs harbour, heard its an town with an ice problem, go bellingen instead..
I mean nimbin obviously has a drug problem too but its worth seeing and real pretty countryside.

Have a good trip

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:09 am

بھائی اوتار لینا wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:56 am
All real nice country to get lost in south of tweed heads, mt warning 5k walk to the top, nimbin, mullumbimby, byron bay, bellingin, dorrigo rainforest walk, heaps of other little villages along the coast there.
That might be my plan for mid-December too, but these fires took horrendous.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm

it'll be ugly where a fire has gone through, a lot of that is sub tropical rainforest too, it's not meant to burn.

10 years later the road from st andrews to kinglake north of melbourne is still all dead trees..

but anyhow, it probably wont all be burned, the road from the natural bridge/arch in the gold coast hinterland south across the border towards murwilumbah is really, really, really nice drive too.
from nerang, inland from surfers paradise, you just take the murwilumbah back road, it goes past the russ hinze dam and onwards to the natural bridge then across the border the back way, the fire may have gone through there in september but idoubt it's all burned.

sub tropical rainforest type mountain country, the border used to have a tick gate across the road, a tick inspector would open it for you, probably gone now.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:49 pm

oh and there's lions road, another way to cross the border, dropped off some people in wiangary in northern nsw once, and they got us real stoned, then got directions to go up lions road to get to the gold coast, another back road, it also was spectacular, but out of the two the natural bridge road probably is better way to go..

https://www.redzaustralia.com/2014/11/7 ... ions-road/

there's also a bridge named after me on that road...

yehyeh
Stew Ingredient

Post by yehyeh » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:29 pm

بھائی اوتار لینا wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:45 pm
it'll be ugly where a fire has gone through, a lot of that is sub tropical rainforest too, it's not meant to burn.

10 years later the road from st andrews to kinglake north of melbourne is still all dead trees..

but anyhow, it probably wont all be burned, the road from the natural bridge/arch in the gold coast hinterland south across the border towards murwilumbah is really, really, really nice drive too.
from nerang, inland from surfers paradise, you just take the murwilumbah back road, it goes past the russ hinze dam and onwards to the natural bridge then across the border the back way, the fire may have gone through there in september but idoubt it's all burned.

sub tropical rainforest type mountain country, the border used to have a tick gate across the road, a tick inspector would open it for you, probably gone now.
It's lovely in those parts. It's not all burnt after the recent fires. I have camped in some of those parts post-fire about a month ago. Only sections were burnt out.

I usually stay at Sawtell which is just south of Coffs - I stay at the Holiday Park - I think it has cabins. This time I stayed at Red Rock just north of Coffs. Both places have creeks which you can float out and in on with the tide up to/from the beach - get yourself a pool noodle (under $5) and you can float all day!