Critique my overland trip.

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Critique my overland trip.

Post by Lincoln » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:42 pm

Go on....you know you want to.

So i'm flying into Thessaloniki and plan to overland it to Croatia.

I have 10 days which I know is no where near enough but Lincoln has bills to pay and drug habit to fund so this is all the time I have....add to this that the last 3 days need to be in Croatia to hang out with freaks from here and you'll see I only have a week to do it.

I was thinking of heading up to Macedonia then on to Kosovo then finally Montenegro before arriving in Croatia for the piss-up.

The questions I have are;

Is this a doable route?

The best way to do this by bus or train?

Should I cut my losses and fly into Kosovo and travel from there to save time?

I know nothing of this area of the planet so your kind advice is very much appreciated.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Re: Critique my overland trip.

Post by steveogolf » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:34 pm

I plead ignorance regarding this area, except for the time, during the summer, when I went to Corfu (Greece), and then up the coast to Dubrovnik (and I spent 1 day there to see the old city), and then a boat from Dubrovnik to Hvar. And then I somehow got to Belgrade.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:48 pm

Don't spend any more than a day in Thessaloniki. The waterfront setting is the singular attraction bar the White Tower. The pig is very good but you don't eat it so forget I mentioned it.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:06 pm

There is a new, modern highway across the mountains of southern Albania. So rent a car in Thessalonica and go west, young man. Aim through Epirus for Butrint, just across from Corfu, to soak up the culture. Then north up the coast to Croatia. Montenegro is worth a couple of days too.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:51 am

Me, (Actually started from Venice but you are asking about croatia-greece overland) I went from Dubrovnik north up the coast a little then inland to Mostar (that famous bridge-didn'y jump) then a train trip, a very interesting one, to Sarajavo, a tramride (or trolley bus-forget) to the Serbian part of Sarajavo, no physical border but mayaswell be a different country, then a bus trip from there to Belgrade, and an overnight train to Sofia. From Sofia I went to Istanbul by train, but you could just as easy go to Greece from here.

Yes this is in reverse but you get the drift, that train trip Mostar to Sarajavo was really interesting for a different look at things.,

(there were still machingun riddled goods vans shunted off to the side tracks just sittin there in the little viallges along the way, spectacular lakes and mountains too.)

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:25 am

Lost Soul wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:06 pm
There is a new, modern highway across the mountains of southern Albania. So rent a car in Thessalonica and go west, young man. Aim through Epirus for Butrint, just across from Corfu, to soak up the culture. Then north up the coast to Croatia. Montenegro is worth a couple of days too.
Tried that. Unfortunately the Greeks won't let you take their rentals across the border into Albania

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 am

Logistics matter. Kotor is a must. Getting from Thessaloniki to the pissup location via North Macedonia-kosovo-Montenegro is manageable in that time scale but you're going to have to cherry pick, check out public transport and plan accordingly.

Kotor/Mostar/Dubrovnik could be visited post pissup/leaving it earlier, depending where you're flying back from . Or you could make your grand entry a few days later .

Lincoln
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lincoln » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:09 am

Andrea1 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:00 am
Logistics matter. Kotor is a must. Getting from Thessaloniki to the pissup location via North Macedonia-kosovo-Montenegro is manageable in that time scale but you're going to have to cherry pick, check out public transport and plan accordingly.
Yes the timetable of it is a bit tight so I might take the hit with work and take 2 weeks off... I’d fly out on the Saturday morning and that would give me 10/11 days to get to piss up location... I reckon that’s a decent plan...I’ll check out FlixBus website to see what routes they have, that train journey mentioned above sounds great too.

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:27 am

It's just basically a country-ticking off, quick peek, jumping on/off because you're passing through, there anyway, interesting journey to the pissup. You'll be back.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:12 pm

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-route ... -train.htm

Two trains a day now, just make sure is daylight if you get the evening one.

It was a rickety old train in 2008 but looks like theyve modernised it now.

It actually continues down to the bosnian/hertnagovnian coast

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:11 pm

You don't need anymore than a full day in Dubrovnik. It's all about the setting. Fuck off already to more Interesting places.

Vodd
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vodd » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:37 pm

Dubrovnik needs a full day and a proper night.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:31 pm

What time of year?
Can you afford a hire car?
Where in Croatia is the pissup?
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:32 pm

What vlod said..

While there look up at the hills sbove town, doesnt seem like that long ago the were bombing the shit out of it from them..

Unwashed_Pom
Stew Ingredient

Post by Unwashed_Pom » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:14 am

There's a cable car up there now. Mortar emplacements still there. Stunning view.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:03 pm

yeah wow, would be for sure.