Brussels

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
micvan
Stew Ingredient

Brussels

Post by micvan » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:14 am

First leg of our trip, arrived yesterday afternoon in central Brussels. It's 9am just finished an excellent breakfast the streets are quiet as folks were up late last night it being a Saturday. Cute hotel. Moules were excellent last night have to run!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Brussels

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:14 am

You might be wondering why nobody has responded to your thinly disguised travel thread yet.

That's because TDTTs belong on YC, and not here.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:09 pm

No not wondering was going to post a fuller report but not inclined to now

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:39 pm

I'm a fan of Brussels. Spent three months working there. After injuring my knee jogging the third day there, I was sedentary the entire time. After three months on expense account meals, unable to exercise, I hit my lifetime maximum weight. Brussels, well no, Antwerp has the best bar scene in continental Europe. Brussels comes in second, and Antwerp is only 38 minutes from Gare Centrale.
I am Stalking you.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:56 pm

strife wrote:I'm a fan of Brussels. Spent three months working there. After injuring my knee jogging the third day there, I was sedentary the entire time. After three months on expense account meals, unable to exercise, I hit my lifetime maximum weight. Brussels, well no, Antwerp has the best bar scene in continental Europe. Brussels comes in second, and Antwerp is only 38 minutes from Gare Centrale.
200 pounds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:05 pm

I am Stalking you.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 pm

That's my maximum too!

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:13 am

But I am 6'9".
I am Stalking you.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't feel that Lost Soul's ultra minor josh should deprive me of hearing your travel report.

I love that pissing statue. I bought a teak one in Laos that was a meter high. Before they doubled the postage rates, obviously.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:12 pm

Unread post by BeatRaven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:51 pm

I don't feel that Lost Soul's ultra minor josh should deprive me of hearing your travel report.
I'm disappointed with LS's response. He usually has something to ad about a destination as a persons who knows evrything about everything.

I only had a brief stay in Brussels and would want to go back an explore far more
DCComic's wish for 2019: 1 canister 1 Jew

micvan
Stew Ingredient

Post by micvan » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:45 am

We had four very busy days.
Big museum goers, but made sure one of the four days was for wandering.
Coming in we stayed in the Place St Gery area, just across the street from the 1881 brick Halle's St Gery. It acts as the sort of community centre, comfy couches, chess players, bar and tables chairs out on the pavement for leisurely drinks while people watching.
In fact there were quite a few of bars and cafés lining the streets and squares in the area, now I'm not saying folks drank excessively, but very much tables were full every evening very lively! Always a group well into the wee hours, too. I liked it. When I couldn't sleep it was interesting to watch.
We visited the comix museum one day, located in a what was purpose built textile wholesale warehouse circa 1906. Horta had a hand in the art nouveau design, it was a lovely example of industrial purpose softened by graceful stained glass, wonderful mosaic floors and wrought iron. The comic art was amazing, so many genres and so skillfully rendered! It sort of made made up for the fact we couldn't make it to Horta House.
Next was MIM (musical instruments museum), a bit overwhelming, so many ways to make noise! Some of the instruments were a bit wierd i thnk prototypes. The harpsichords and old pianos were finely pained or inlaid. MIM is housed in an old department store, and again old pix are on display from those days.
And then finally to the Fine arts Museum, finally visited all 8 levels! Wel not quite 2 levels were empty awaiting new exhibits just as well.
Last day we just tried to get lost wandering off down side streets, browsing thru vintage clothing stores, little ateliers with hand sewn clothes etc.
Arriving back from supper, to a 75 anniversary of the Liberation of Brussels in the Halles. WW ii vintage jeeps parked out front, a photo montage displayed along the walls inside along with descriptive commentary. Lots of people in period costume live music from the era. Dancing! Even my old guy shook his booty a bit! It was a great last evening!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:38 am

polardude1 wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:12 pm
Unread post by BeatRaven » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:51 pm

I'm disappointed with LS's response. He usually has something to ad about a destination as a persons who knows evrything about everything.

I only had a brief stay in Brussels and would want to go back an explore far more
Plora, I was trying to gently nudge micvan to either Albo's, or the TJ branch (if micvan had pictures to go along with her TDTT commentary).

Thanks for your support.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD