International Credit Card

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Post Reply
Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

International Credit Card

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu May 30, 2019 2:23 pm

I pretty much only use my debit card and Discover when I'm in the States. The latter is, of course, mostly useless outside of it. (I have a couple of other cards I rarely use.)

Is it worth it to get an "international" credit card, meaning no fees on transactions overseas?
Please revert to us in case of any query related to the RFP

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9889
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Stan In Maryland » Thu May 30, 2019 3:08 pm

I guess it depends on how much you will use and what "worth it" means to you. We have had one for years with no annual fee that doesn't charge a currency transaction fee and we get points on it for air miles (or other stuff). We use it as our main card and it basically paid for our airfare for a trip to Hawaii this year. For us, it is worth it.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Iolar
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 19560
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Iolar » Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm

I use a prepaid debit card called Revolut. No currency transaction fees and you essentially get the wholesale rate. There are also no fees for small cash withdrawals from ATMs when you're in more primitive cash-based societies, like the US. I have one that I pay €7.99 a month for, but it includes travel insurance.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 34356
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by leela » Thu May 30, 2019 8:37 pm

Definitely worth it. I should have got one earlier.

I've been using grab (Uber for Malaysia) frequently for the last month. Usually the fare would be the equivalent of £1-£2. Using my old credit card, the fees would have tripled the fare at the very least.
Pass the wine...

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 20459
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Homerj » Thu May 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Ya I have one for foreign travel...it has no transactions fees, hotel points, good insurance....it was free the first year then $120 yr after that.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 pm

leela wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:37 pm
Definitely worth it. I should have got one earlier.

I've been using grab (Uber for Malaysia) frequently for the last month. Usually the fare would be the equivalent of £1-£2. Using my old credit card, the fees would have tripled the fare at the very least.
I found the taxi drivers in KL to be quite the dicks. I'm glad there's now an alternative.
Please revert to us in case of any query related to the RFP

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10867
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:15 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by misanthrope » Fri May 31, 2019 11:24 am

I didn't know that Discover was still around.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 36804
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by GLimpet » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:03 am

Iolar wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm
I use a prepaid debit card called Revolut. No currency transaction fees and you essentially get the wholesale rate. There are also no fees for small cash withdrawals from ATMs when you're in more primitive cash-based societies, like the US. I have one that I pay €7.99 a month for, but it includes travel insurance.
I have the free version of Revolut and a Monzo card too. Both now operate as banks but you can use them like prepaid travel debit cards. Saved me a shitload in the two years in fees and loaded exchange rates I've been using them so far.

Bastet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4342
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 11:00 am

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Bastet » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:12 am

Yep - I save shitloads on my transaction free card compared to the other one. The only annoying thing is that I don't get points on the transaction free one.

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4721
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Mike Hunt » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 am

I found out my Visa card that I rarely use doesn't have international transaction fees.
Please revert to us in case of any query related to the RFP

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 36804
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by GLimpet » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 am

Mike Hunt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 am
I found out my Visa card that I rarely use doesn't have international transaction fees.
Doesn't mean much without this information:
How close is their FX rate to the day's Interbank?

How much do they charge for cash withdrawals?

Is there a limit on either free cash or credit?

These are where the cards like Monzo etc really save you money.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 19560
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:48 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by Iolar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:11 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:48 am
Mike Hunt wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 am
I found out my Visa card that I rarely use doesn't have international transaction fees.
Doesn't mean much without this information:
How close is their FX rate to the day's Interbank?

How much do they charge for cash withdrawals?

Is there a limit on either free cash or credit?

These are where the cards like Monzo etc really save you money.
Yep. Revolut's rates are practically the same as the wholesale rate. On XE 1 EUR is 0.8903 GBP, the Revolut rate is 0.8902.

I don't think they have these products in the US yet, though, so maybe his VISA is the best available to him.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

User avatar
harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12368
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by harry_flashman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

I have two on-line bank accounts and 3 fairfx prepaid cards in addition to my main UK bank account which I never expose when I am aboard

Starling offer no limit free cash withdrawels and there are no payment charges. Mondo offer a similar sort of service but put a limit on free ATM withdrawel to £200. Both can function like a prepaid card in that you just top them up when you want to withdraw cash.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

User avatar
harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12368
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Re: International Credit Card

Post by harry_flashman » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:42 am

Mike Hunt wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 10:10 pm
leela wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:37 pm
Definitely worth it. I should have got one earlier.

I've been using grab (Uber for Malaysia) frequently for the last month. Usually the fare would be the equivalent of £1-£2. Using my old credit card, the fees would have tripled the fare at the very least.
I found the taxi drivers in KL to be quite the dicks. I'm glad there's now an alternative.
Last time I was in KL I also used GRAB. It works great. Don't use the regular idiots.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Post Reply