Honduras

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
cuchulainn
Instigator

Honduras

Post by cuchulainn » Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 pm

I plan on going in late June or early July. I want to go scuba diving in Roatan. I would also like to check out Copan Ruinas. Is there anything else, I'm missing other than a walking tour of the barrios in San Pedro Sula?

What can I do in Belize for a day or two? Can I smoke down with John McCaffee?

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Re: Honduras

Post by steveogolf » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:30 pm

One of my good friends used to go to Honduras every year, and really liked it, but he stopped going there about 10 years ago because it got too dangerous even for him (He was a Vietnam Vet -- The Marines -- and he saw it all in Southeast Asia during the War).
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:34 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:44 pm
I plan on going in late June or early July. I want to go scuba diving in Roatan. I would also like to check out Copan Ruinas. Is there anything else, I'm missing other than a walking tour of the barrios in San Pedro Sula?

What can I do in Belize for a day or two? Can I smoke down with John McCaffee?
Roatán vs. Utila, that's your choice. Roatán Is much bigger, has better beaches, diversity of activities. It's also more expensive and touristy (it gets cruise ships). Utila is like camp for degenerate divers. There's not much to do but dive, drink-n-drug, and screw other divers. Oh, Utila has one of the best bars in the world - Treetanic. It's a handful of treehouse bars linked by rope bridges, with psychedelic mosaic decorations and lights everywhere. I bartended there back in 2003 - it's almost worth the trip for Treetanic alone. Roatán gets flights from the States. Utila, it's a flight from San Pedro Sula or La Ceiba, or the ferry from La Ceiba. I like La Ceiba, which is a party town for Hondurans. Not sure how safe it is recently.

Copan Is fantastic. It's not as magnificent as Tikal or Palenque, but the stelae there demonstrate finer craftsmanship than any of the other major Maya sites. (I've been to all the major ones.) The adjacent village of Copan Ruinas Is my favorite place in mainland Honduras. Calm and tranquil, with excellent local coffee, surprisingly good restaurants. Copan will be really out of your way from the Bay Islands. The Tela (hour west of La Ceiba - fun beach town) to San Salvador bus by Hedman-Alas stops in Copan Ruinas, or you could bus it from San Pedro Sula.

There are a few other places I've been and enjoyed, but I don't know about today, given security situation. Be sure Jess Fletcher adds her input here - she lived on the islands for like a year.

Coming from the States, you'll probably have to fly into San Pedro Sula, unless you catch an expensive direct flight to Roatán. I've spent the night there a few times, most recently in 2014. It's unpleasant and menacing, best avoided. The airport has bus connections, so you can avoid downtown. You probably should. Air tickets from SPS to the islands often sell out, and last I checked couldn't be purchased online. If they're sold out, better to catch a bus to La Ceiba and take a ferry the next day. This means don't arrive at SPS after dark, as buses don't run then.
I am Stalking you.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:14 pm

I spent spring break 2007 on Roatan. I wanted divingband direct flights. I stayed and dived with Wild Brothers/Hotel Chillies. It was cheap and adequate. I chose them in part because they are at the northern part of west end and it’s not as busy. There was a beach bar across the street and one afternoon a dog gave birth to a litter of puppies.

The west bay beach is spectacular but it was being heavily developed back then. I rented a truck and drive all over the island one day which I highly recommend. I also hired a guy with a boat to take me around some mangroves at a bay on the southeast part of the island. That was worth the time and money as well.
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Tue May 07, 2019 5:58 am

My Honduras information is 20 years old. I can’t imagine you would have any problems in the Bay islands, but there’s a crazy guy that owns a submarine on Roatan and he takes people deep down to see weird sea creatures for a hefty fee. One of a kind trip. Taking a boat tour to some of the smaller Cayes would be worth it. Mainland Honduras is nice, but under appreciated, probably because it’s been sketchy for awhile. Celaque is a beautiful National Park, the highest mountain in the country with good hiking and cloud forests. The nearby town of Gracias a Dios is nice too. Punta Izopo and the towns of Tela, Triunfo De la Cruz has nice beaches with the Garifuna dominating the area. Pico Bonito outside La Ceiba is impressive and definitely good hiking. Copan is not bad, but if you’re already risking San Pedro Sula I would suggest taking the time to visit those other areas mentioned because they are more laid back. Miskito Coast on the Honduras side is still sketchy as I understand and probably not worth the travel time unless you have your heart set on going there.

Shavenhead
Stew Ingredient

Post by Shavenhead » Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 pm

The walking tour of San Pedro Sula Barrios sounds like fun. What can one expect?
"Don't be attracted to easy paths because the paths that make your feet bleed are the only way to get ahead in life" Saddam Hussein

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Fri May 17, 2019 12:24 pm

Shavenhead wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 pm
The walking tour of San Pedro Sula Barrios sounds like fun. What can one expect?
2nd highest murder rate in the western hemisphere.

I'm flying into San Pedro Sula.

I'm excited.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri May 17, 2019 12:46 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:24 pm
Shavenhead wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:59 pm
2nd highest murder rate in the western hemisphere.

I'm flying into San Pedro Sula.

I'm excited.
I'd set you up with my friends in SPS, who were excellent hosts. They left as soon as I got them green cards though.
I am Stalking you.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm

I fly on Monday. I will either take a bus or an Uber to La Ceiba. The following day I will go to Pico Bonito National Park for a day or two. Then I'll return to La Ceiba and take a ferry to Roatan.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:15 pm
I fly on Monday. I will either take a bus or an Uber to La Ceiba. The following day I will go to Pico Bonito National Park for a day or two. Then I'll return to La Ceiba and take a ferry to Roatan.
Go to Tela too.
I am Stalking you.

ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient

Post by ceylon_tea » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:31 am

Roatan is a tourist hell hole. Go to utila.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:43 pm

I was in Copan Ruinas in 2003, got buses from Nicaragua across to Tegucigalpa for a couple of nights, then via SPS down to Copan for a few days, before heading into Esquipulas in Guatemala (pilgrimage place, we still have a glow in the dark Jesus from there). We still have a horseshoe that we found near Copan too. It was a great place for strolling around, I’d have Avebury liked to stay longer and head into the mountains a bit more.
Of course that was 2003, so all this is useless information unless you want to pop over the border for a glow in the dark Jesus (I’m sure they still sell them).
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.