Where you going in 2019?

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm

Just got back from two months in Columbia, Ecuador and Peru. Had planned to go to Chile and Argentina but ran out of time. No plans for our fall trip but if Britain implodes and France burns this summer we might make another trip to Europe to view the ruins.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14507
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm
France burns this summer we might make another trip to Europe to view the ruins.
If that’s your attempt at a witty response to Notre Dame being destroyed, you’re welcome to go fuck yourself.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

EMG
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27459
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by EMG » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:14 am

Did Bangkok-Nepal-Bangkok as planned. Then unplanned added a Hong Kong trip for next weekend. Then an unplanned pop over to Kuala Lumpur last weekend.

Have done a good bit of domestic travel as well, few mountains and a few beaches.

Looking at maybe Korea at the end of the year still. Nothing else planned at the moment.

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:17 am

twodogs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Just got back from two months in Columbia, Ecuador and Peru.
How much longer would it have taken to learn to spell them?
Mike (())

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:42 am

simon_in_exile wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:48 pm
twodogs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm
France burns this summer we might make another trip to Europe to view the ruins.
If that’s your attempt at a witty response to Notre Dame being destroyed, you’re welcome to go fuck yourself.
I was referring to the yellow vest movement but that is a nice chip you have there.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17480
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Lincoln » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:11 am

twodogs wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 6:30 pm
Just got back from two months in Columbia, Ecuador and Peru. Had planned to go to Chile and Argentina but ran out of time. No plans for our fall trip but if Britain implodes and France burns this summer we might make another trip to Europe to view the ruins.
That sounds like a great trip....any chance of a trip report and photos?

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm

Bused thru Colombia quickly, spent nearly a month in Ecuador and used [https://www.wanderbusecuador.com/] on the advice of a friend. Started with them in Guayaquil, spent time in Montañita, Quito, Baños, Alausi and Cuenca then back to Guayaguil. I skipped the Galapagos since Mrs. Twodogs wants to go someday. At 66 I figured I would be the oldest passenger but there was on couple in their 80's making the trip although they had to skip a few of the hikes. Wanderbus cost about double what public buses are and is well worth it. Great option for women traveling alone and people with minimal Spanish, I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Ecuador.

Had planned to bus to Lima but wound up flying to save time. Lima was my least favorite city of the trip but still worth seeing, spent time in Paracas, Huacachina, Arequipa, Chivay, Puno, Cusco and Aguas Calientes. It was the rainy season so I missed a lot of the Colca Canyon but did see a couple of condors and had a clear afternoon to myself at Machu Picchu.

I got by on $50 a day for most of the trip and a couple could live well on $100 a day. Met lots of western Europeans, a half dozen Canadians and a couple of Americans. The buses are great but I lost a few days due to transit strikes in Peru. No safety concerns and the people are extremely friendly. Altitude was a problem for some but I did okay with chocolate and an occasional coca tea.

Hoping to do Chile and Argentina by bus next year.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:09 pm

Been to Jordan, Lebanon, and Greece for a total of a month so far. Houston, Serbia, and Kosovo in June planned. Gaza in July. After that I have nothing scheduled, but I'd be surprised if I didn't get sent to one or two more places this year.
Mike (())

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 pm

twodogs wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:33 pm
Bused thru Colombia quickly, spent nearly a month in Ecuador and used [https://www.wanderbusecuador.com/] on the advice of a friend. Started with them in Guayaquil, spent time in Montañita, Quito, Baños, Alausi and Cuenca then back to Guayaguil. I skipped the Galapagos since Mrs. Twodogs wants to go someday. At 66 I figured I would be the oldest passenger but there was on couple in their 80's making the trip although they had to skip a few of the hikes. Wanderbus cost about double what public buses are and is well worth it. Great option for women traveling alone and people with minimal Spanish, I highly recommend it to anyone visiting Ecuador.

Had planned to bus to Lima but wound up flying to save time. Lima was my least favorite city of the trip but still worth seeing, spent time in Paracas, Huacachina, Arequipa, Chivay, Puno, Cusco and Aguas Calientes. It was the rainy season so I missed a lot of the Colca Canyon but did see a couple of condors and had a clear afternoon to myself at Machu Picchu.

I got by on $50 a day for most of the trip and a couple could live well on $100 a day. Met lots of western Europeans, a half dozen Canadians and a couple of Americans. The buses are great but I lost a few days due to transit strikes in Peru. No safety concerns and the people are extremely friendly. Altitude was a problem for some but I did okay with chocolate and an occasional coca tea.

Hoping to do Chile and Argentina by bus next year.
My rent was $25/month in Cuenca for an old apartment that overlooked the city, but I reckon that's gone up since dollarization. I think I got paid $250/month.
Mike (())

User avatar
cuchulainn
Instigator
Posts: 33169
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:57 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by cuchulainn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:49 am

I’m thinking about Honduras and Belize.

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17480
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Lincoln » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:41 am

Just woken up at the airport hotel and I'm on my way to Ceuta ....first trip of the year after 4 months of solid work without much of a break plus divorce shit so I intend to enjoy this little bit of travelling.

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:20 am

Mike Hunt wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:10 pm
My rent was $25/month in Cuenca for an old apartment that overlooked the city, but I reckon that's gone up since dollarization. I think I got paid $250/month.
Cuenca was my favorite city on the whole trip but I was only there for a week. Stayed two blocks off the plaza for $20 a night with full breakfast. Met a retired teacher that was paying $200 a month for decent place about 20 minutes away. You can eat well at the market for three bucks and the shaman's still practice two days a week if you are feeling poorly. Loved walking along the river in the mornings and people watching in the plaza in the afternoons.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
pezworld
Admin's Concubine
Posts: 33818
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:00 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by pezworld » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:24 pm

Started the year in Thailand. Then a January weekend in Baja with all my closest friends. Girls' weekend in San Diego county in early May. Russia in July (Moscow, St. Petersburg and one town in between). Catalina Island camping in August. Walla Walla wedding in September (nephew). Nothing planned after that, but husband has started making noises about Australia again, maybe November.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

User avatar
ceylon_tea
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 2949
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by ceylon_tea » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:57 pm

Spain, Colombia, Mexico & Sri Lanka.

EMG
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27459
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by EMG » Wed May 29, 2019 5:12 pm

Just added a long weekend in Korea for next weekend.

That’ll be country number 5 for the year, mostly just long weekends.

User avatar
flatfoot
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11696
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:49 am

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by flatfoot » Wed May 29, 2019 5:40 pm

All my trips for the rest of the year are around recreational events and planned out—plane and event tickets purchased, accommodations booked.

I’ll be outdoor-schooling in Utah in June, folksing in Colorado in August, and rocking it out in Texas in October.

I might go somewhere around Labor Day if I’m able to sell a pricey concert ticket I bought before realizing it was happening around a potential vacation period. That is, if I actually want to sell the ticket. I love the band I’m seeing.
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Wed May 29, 2019 9:20 pm

Just booked Mrs. Twodogs birthday weekend in Vegas. There a few new shows she wants to see and we both like hanging out at the Flamingo's pool. Got a free room but have to pay a $40 a night resort fee which is the new normal.

I have enough FF points for the flights but non stop flights are only $44 each way so best to save them for something bigger.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14507
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by simon_in_exile » Wed May 29, 2019 11:02 pm

I’m currently on a 9 day field geology course in the Spanish Pyrenees and I might retire here! Beautiful mountains, wildflower-filled fields and forests, amazing geology, a relaxed, cheap, cool culture, good food and wine, the perfect lifestyle for me.
Tremp and Pont de Suert in Catalunya, plus some side trips into Aragón - it’s a heavenly part of the world - I’d recommend it for anyone for a driving, walking, cycling or just gastronomic binging trip.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 30600
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed May 29, 2019 11:20 pm

Sounds perfect, simon.

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu May 30, 2019 12:55 am

twodogs wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:20 pm
Just booked Mrs. Twodogs birthday weekend in Vegas. There a few new shows she wants to see and we both like hanging out at the Flamingo's pool. Got a free room but have to pay a $40 a night resort fee which is the new normal.

I have enough FF points for the flights but non stop flights are only $44 each way so best to save them for something bigger.
Donnie and Marie? I heard Donnie sometimes doesn't show.
Mike (())

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Thu May 30, 2019 2:21 am

We have seen Donnie and Marie, good show if you are of a certain age and know the history, last show she announced she has gotten back together with her first husband. Have tickets to WOW, Tape Face, the Gospel Brunch and may try to see Leno.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
section8
the Secret Sauce
Posts: 29939
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by section8 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:20 am

flatfoot wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:40 pm

I’ll be outdoor-schooling in Utah in June, folksing in Colorado in August, and rocking it out in Texas in October.
What’s the schooling?
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

User avatar
section8
the Secret Sauce
Posts: 29939
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by section8 » Thu May 30, 2019 3:21 am

simon_in_exile wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:02 pm
I’m currently on a 9 day field geology course in the Spanish Pyrenees and I might retire here! Beautiful mountains, wildflower-filled fields and forests, amazing geology, a relaxed, cheap, cool culture, good food and wine, the perfect lifestyle for me.
Tremp and Pont de Suert in Catalunya, plus some side trips into Aragón - it’s a heavenly part of the world - I’d recommend it for anyone for a driving, walking, cycling or just gastronomic binging trip.
That’s an area I’ve long wanted to visit. Someday I need to cross the Atlantic.
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

User avatar
flatfoot
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11696
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:49 am

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by flatfoot » Thu May 30, 2019 4:55 am

section8 wrote:
What’s the schooling?
They’re so basic, you’ll laugh. It’s more like a camp with various classes: wilderness navigation, first aid, and meal prep, but also kayaking, biking, climbing. They’re all beginner stuff, but you gotta start somewhere.
The mitochondria is the powerhouse of the cell.

User avatar
section8
the Secret Sauce
Posts: 29939
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by section8 » Thu May 30, 2019 6:06 am

I don’t laugh at courses like navigation and first aid, and those activities are equipment intensive. A crash course from a pro is a good idea.
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu May 30, 2019 2:04 pm

twodogs wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:21 am
We have seen Donnie and Marie, good show if you are of a certain age and know the history, last show she announced she has gotten back together with her first husband. Have tickets to WOW, Tape Face, the Gospel Brunch and may try to see Leno.
My parents watched Donnie and Marie when I was growing up. I look at it as a severe form of child abuse.
Mike (())

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm

I'm going to Houston on Sunday. I'm neither gagging to go nor going to have much leisure time. (Meeting with those affected by Hurricane Harvey should be interesting though.)

Does anyone have any restaurant suggestions? Would like some BBQ and, perhaps, Vietnamese food.
Mike (())

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Mike Hunt wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:04 pm
My parents watched Donnie and Marie when I was growing up. I look at it as a severe form of child abuse.
and deadly if you are a diabetic.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 34728
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by GLimpet » Thu May 30, 2019 8:39 pm

section8 wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 3:21 am
simon_in_exile wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 11:02 pm
I’m currently on a 9 day field geology course in the Spanish Pyrenees and I might retire here! Beautiful mountains, wildflower-filled fields and forests, amazing geology, a relaxed, cheap, cool culture, good food and wine, the perfect lifestyle for me.
Tremp and Pont de Suert in Catalunya, plus some side trips into Aragón - it’s a heavenly part of the world - I’d recommend it for anyone for a driving, walking, cycling or just gastronomic binging trip.
That’s an area I’ve long wanted to visit. Someday I need to cross the Atlantic.
Cross the Pacific and get a train!

I'm off to Holland next week, then Congo week after. Work.

Two weeks home then off to Ireland for a week of holiday and wedding guesting.

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3251
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by Mike Hunt » Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 pm

twodogs wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 6:30 pm
Mike Hunt wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:04 pm
My parents watched Donnie and Marie when I was growing up. I look at it as a severe form of child abuse.
and deadly if you are a diabetic.
Your vacation plans remind me of the saying, "Hell is other people's vacations."

Nonetheless, enjoy.
Mike (())

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3793
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by steveogolf » Fri May 31, 2019 7:09 pm

Mike Hunt wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 2:05 pm
I'm going to Houston on Sunday. I'm neither gagging to go nor going to have much leisure time. (Meeting with those affected by Hurricane Harvey should be interesting though.)

Does anyone have any restaurant suggestions? Would like some BBQ and, perhaps, Vietnamese food.
The last time that I went to Houston during the month of June the high humidity there was terrible.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9583
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Where you going in 2019?

Post by twodogs » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:52 am

Mike Hunt wrote:
Fri May 31, 2019 6:23 pm
Your vacation plans remind me of the saying, "Hell is other people's vacations."

Nonetheless, enjoy.
Thanks, I am not a big fan either but it is an easy flight and Mrs. Twodogs likes the pool at the Flamingo and the prime rib at Hugo's.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Post Reply