Oktoberfest Trip

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Post Reply
User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:09 pm

So my wife's parents are doing Oktoberfest next year and I think we're going to join them. Neither of us have really traveled in Germany so I think we're going to extend for a shortish trip, say 10 days or so. I imagine Oktoberfest is worth a couple of days, and I was thinking the rest of the time we should probably just spend in Munich and day trips around there? We'll have our two sons, aged 3 and 1 when we go. I'd really like to go to Berlin, but I wonder if that's trying to squeeze too much in, plus I don't see Berlin appealing as much to our kids or maybe my wife.

I haven't really done any research yet, so I'd appreciate any 10 day kid/ baby friendly itinerary suggestions that include Oktoberfest.

User avatar
Gogo
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 232
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:48 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Gogo » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm

Kids that age love loud, crowded binge drinking events.

I'd like to spend a few days here to see what it's all about.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germa ... the-world/
Look into the eyes of a chicken and you will see real stupidity. It is a kind of bottomless stupidity, a fiendish stupidity. They are the most horrifying, cannibalistic and nightmarish creatures in the world. - Werner Herzog

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm

Surely you don't think Oktoberfest is an adults only affair.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 75217
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by VinnyD » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:31 pm

Possible day trips include Salzburg and Innsbruck (both in Austria).

Major excursion could be some of Munich -Passau - Regensburg -Bamberg - Nürnberg - Munich. (All in Bavaria.) I think Regensburg and Bamberg are the most attractive places on that list; but Bamberg is also the furthest away.

Don't know of anything that would particularly appeal to a three-year-old except possibly the toy museum in Nürnberg.

I have never been to Oktoberfest. My sister, who lives mostly in Munich, avoids it like the plague, but tastes differ.

Save Berlin for another time. You don't want to spend two days out of ten flying there and back.

User avatar
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31121
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm
Surely you don't think Oktoberfest is an adults only affair.
Have you been there?

It's raucous. It's full of drunk people (hint: mostly not the Germans), including ass- and breast-grabbers. You may be sidestepping vomit.

Accommodation can be hard to come by. Translation: you'll be paying through the nose.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:54 pm

Don't know of anything that would particularly appeal to a three-year-old except possibly the toy museum in Nürnberg.
With a three year old, it's less about having to directly appeal to them and more making sure they can enjoy themselves sort of regardless. So, museums in small doses can actually be ok since they get to walk around a big space with interesting things even if they don't understand them. By contrast, a 4 hour car drive through beautiful scenery might be great for adults but kids will be bored. But a 2 hour drive and a tablet or a nap or some books might be just fine. Just walking around can be fun, particularly if you stumble on a playground or park for a while.

So I think you can plan to see a lot of the same things you would have anyway, you just have to be more time conscious. The only kid specific thing I've thought about so far is the Lego museum and Oktoberfest itself, which has rides, festival grounds, food and drink, etc. Maybe see that castle that sort of looks like the Disney castle.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:51 pm
muthafunky wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm
Surely you don't think Oktoberfest is an adults only affair.
Have you been there?

It's raucous. It's full of drunk people (hint: mostly not the Germans), including ass- and breast-grabbers. You may be sidestepping vomit.

Accommodation can be hard to come by. Translation: you'll be paying through the nose.
No, I haven't been there but I know people who have gone with kids and I've read about it. I am aware of the stereotypes of course, I've also read about how you can have fun with kids.

Not worried about accommodation. Or Oktoberfest either (with or without kids). But then this is the Stew, so of course this is the kind of advice one should expect.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62743
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Yes on the Salzburg/Innsbruck/Berchtesgaden loop for three days. Also, take the cable car up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, for lunch. It's on the road to Innsbruck. And go for a tour of the salt mine by Salzburg. It's perfect for the kid, and pretty cool for adults too.

Ulm has the highest cathedral in Yurp. It's pretty impressive. The money came from taxes, with Ulm being the head of navigation on the Danube. Merchants had to transfer goods from carts to barges there for centuries. Einstein was from there, and wondered what would happen to the clock if he approached the cathedral at the speed of light.

There is the real model for the Disneyland castle at Neuschwanstein, near Fussen on the Austrian border.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31121
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm

Gogo wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm
I'd like to spend a few days here to see what it's all about.

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/germa ... the-world/
Wow, never heard of it. Looks great.

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by twodogs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:05 am

Kids are fine at Octoberfest just go during the week and early in the morning then leave when it gets loud. There are plenty of rides food to keep them happy. One will be in a backpack and the other will be in a stroller which is great for all the baby gear.

That time of year I would rent a car, make a swing thru the Black Forest, down to Reinfall, a car ferry across Lake Constance and back past Neuschwanstein Castle.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9658
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:51 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by ben_hanscombe » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 am

muthafunky wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm
Surely you don't think Oktoberfest is an adults only affair.
My experience of Oktoberfest was very much adults only, so I'm not much help. I was a broken man after three days there.
Baby, mellow my mind

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 37435
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:34 am

I visit Munich and Bavaria a lot for business and occasionally for holiday.

Local people seem to like Oktoberfest well enough but I know it's difficult to get accommodation for our techs at that time, anywhere within commuting distance. Anyway you say you're not worried about accommodation. Never been there at that time myself, not a great time to do business.

There are very good value group and family tickets within Bavaria, so don't rule out the train.

Vinny is probably a better tourist guide than me.

Must-see for me is the big drilling rig at the SWM depot on Schäftlarnstraße but perhaps it won't excite you so much. Just perhaps.

https://www.erdwerk.com/en/schaftlarnstrasse

Regensburg and Salzburg are each about an hour and a half away if you get the right train. Check the weather first, it rains a lot in Salzburg.

A boat on Starnbergersee is also a nice excursion. The train stops at a few places around the lake where you can join the boat.

My wife prefers Regensburg to Munich for shopping and just walking around. Facilities as good, but more beautiful and more manageable to get around.

Oberammergau was not as tacky as expected. Worth a stop if you're going to Neuschwanstein.

As well as all the historical stuff in Salzburg, you've got interesting auto and aviation stuff at the Red Bull museum at the airport.

User avatar
NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18531
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by NorthAmerican » Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:53 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:05 am
Kids are fine at Octoberfest just go during the week and early in the morning then leave when it gets loud. There are plenty of rides food to keep them happy. One will be in a backpack and the other will be in a stroller which is great for all the baby gear. That time of year I would rent a car, make a swing thru the Black Forest, down to Reinfall, a car ferry across Lake Constance and back past Neuschwanstein Castle.
I hadn't thought of the Rheinfall, which is actually in Switzerland, but I think it's the kind of place children will remember. Here's a video:


I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 75217
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by VinnyD » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Baiersbronn is about four hours from Munich.

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by twodogs » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm

NorthAmerican wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 2:53 pm
I hadn't thought of the Rheinfall, which is actually in Switzerland, but I think it's the kind of place children will remember. Here's a video:
We were there in October by train from Zurich. Took the boat ride across and walked back over the railroad bridge. There is an elevator down and a few steps here and there but nothing too strenuous so I would leave the stroller in the car.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 37435
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by GLimpet » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:51 pm

All good but there's more than enough for a family with little kids and (albeit youngish) grandparents within Munich urban area and 90 minutes train/drive , for what? 10 days?

User avatar
twodogs
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10770
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:21 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by twodogs » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:36 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm
We were there in October by train from Zurich. Took the boat ride across and walked back over the railroad bridge. There is an elevator down and a few steps here and there but nothing too strenuous so I would leave the stroller in the car.
If you are coming from Germany take the boat across, the elevator up and walk back via the railroad bridge that way there will be less climbing.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

User avatar
AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 4982
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:29 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by AntiFelix » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:44 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:01 am
muthafunky wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:08 pm
Surely you don't think Oktoberfest is an adults only affair.
My experience of Oktoberfest was very much adults only, so I'm not much help. I was a broken man after three days there.
My experience (1997) was identical.
I am Stalking you.

User avatar
Homerj
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 21124
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Homerj » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:00 pm
Yes on the Salzburg/Innsbruck/Berchtesgaden loop for three days. Also, take the cable car up the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak, for lunch. It's on the road to Innsbruck. And go for a tour of the salt mine by Salzburg. It's perfect for the kid, and pretty cool for adults too.

Ulm has the highest cathedral in Yurp. It's pretty impressive. The money came from taxes, with Ulm being the head of navigation on the Danube. Merchants had to transfer goods from carts to barges there for centuries. Einstein was from there, and wondered what would happen to the clock if he approached the cathedral at the speed of light.

There is the real model for the Disneyland castle at Neuschwanstein, near Fussen on the Austrian border.
All good suggestions, the wood slides down into the mines and the big disney like castle should both be hits with a 3 year old.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 75217
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by VinnyD » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:14 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:51 pm
All good but there's more than enough for a family with little kids and (albeit youngish) grandparents within Munich urban area and 90 minutes train/drive , for what? 10 days?
Yes.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:55 pm

Booked the flights at least. We ended up going with 10 days in Munich and a 3 day layover in Reykjavik.

Current plans in Munich are two days of the festival (including going for family day on Tuesday), maybe three days for day trips, and the rest in Munich. For day trip ideas we have Legoland, the Disney Castle and the other palace that's nearby, and Lake Chiemsee. There's also a spa/ waterpark near Munich and a weird looking black forest type theme park but we probably won't bother with those. Outside shot of a trip to Salzburg. I'd like to visit Dachau but I don't think the family will be a fan.

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 21600
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by DCComic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 pm

Your kids won't have a clue where they are. You need a plan that manages them to your satisfaction. German trains are good but so are the roads. Berlin has a good zoo, a lot of parks and great museums as well as bars, architecture and art.

If I were you I'd plan a day or two in Munich, then get a car and drive to Berlin for the rest of your time.
Image

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally - It would be delightful to cl yo a cunt to your face.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 75217
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by VinnyD » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 pm

the other palace that's nearby,
Nymphenburg is in Munich; Scheissheim is nearby. Both are OK if you like palaces. Take a walk in the Englische Garten and look at the surfers at the edge of it. You yourself would probably like the Deutsches (science and technology) museum but I don't know about the family. Maybe consider the Egyptian Museum. Also the Hallein salt mine and museum near Salzburg.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 37435
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by GLimpet » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 pm

Still in Munich, there's the BMW museum (free parts and paid parts) and Olympic stadium as well as the Allianz arena where FC Bayern (Bayern Munich) play.

Really, if the weather's nice, then just looning about with the kids in the massive Englischer Garten will be great fun.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:02 am

DCComic wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:09 pm
Your kids won't have a clue where they are. You need a plan that manages them to your satisfaction. German trains are good but so are the roads. Berlin has a good zoo, a lot of parks and great museums as well as bars, architecture and art.

If I were you I'd plan a day or two in Munich, then get a car and drive to Berlin for the rest of your time.
I don't think I really see the draw to Berlin for a short trip like this. The minimum we'd spend in Munich would be 4 days, a couple of days at the festival and a couple of days in the town. My wife's parents will be there at the same time. I find it more rewarding to spend time in a place, particularly with kids. There's enough to do in Munich and the environs to enjoy ourselves.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:04 am

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:11 pm
the other palace that's nearby,
Nymphenburg is in Munich; Scheissheim is nearby. Both are OK if you like palaces. Take a walk in the Englische Garten and look at the surfers at the edge of it. You yourself would probably like the Deutsches (science and technology) museum but I don't know about the family. Maybe consider the Egyptian Museum. Also the Hallein salt mine and museum near Salzburg.
It was Linderhof Palace that I was thinking of. The Deutsches museum has a Kid's Kingdom, it's supposed to be good for the little ones.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:05 am

GLimpet wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 pm
Still in Munich, there's the BMW museum (free parts and paid parts) and Olympic stadium as well as the Allianz arena where FC Bayern (Bayern Munich) play.

Really, if the weather's nice, then just looning about with the kids in the massive Englischer Garten will be great fun.
Yep, we'd planned to see the BMW museum and English Garden.

User avatar
VinnyD
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 75217
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by VinnyD » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:40 am

Oops. Schleissheim, not Scheissheim.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62743
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:17 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:40 am
Scheiße. Schleissheim, not Scheissheim.
Fixed that for you.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3430
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Total Reject » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm

I went to Oktoberfest in 1993 and worked just south of Munich. We purposely avoided the party atmosphere and there were specific tents for the older crowd. Chiemsee is nice. 30 minutes by train outside of Munich near the Austrian border are nice villages with slightly more traditional Bavarian stuff. I'm guessing that's all changed now.

User avatar
Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 31121
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:20 pm

Total Reject wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:38 pm
I went to Oktoberfest in 1993 and worked just south of Munich. We purposely avoided the party atmosphere and there were specific tents for the older crowd. Chiemsee is nice. 30 minutes by train outside of Munich near the Austrian border are nice villages with slightly more traditional Bavarian stuff. I'm guessing that's all changed now.
I was there that year too.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 37435
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by GLimpet » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Linderhof "palace" is pretty tiny.
More like a rococo golf clubhouse.

But I really liked it. Way over the top decor and lovely setting.

I think mad Ludwig liked it more than Neuschwanstein.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 pm

We'd only do Linderhof if we were also doing Neuschwanstein

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15339
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by simon_in_exile » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 pm
Really, if the weather's nice, then just looning about with the kids in the massive Englischer Garten will be great fun.
The Englischer Garten is a great place to go during Oktoberfest with kids, because it’s not completely over-run with people but you can still soak up the atmosphere and some beers at eg the Chinesischen Turm (Chinese tower) in the park. I should know - I spent two weeks learning the fine art of drinking in Munich on a school exchange aged 14, have been back many times since, and ten years ago spent a long day in Munich during Oktoberfest mayhem with a bike and fully loaded panniers - a bit like having a kid with you as you can’t get too drunk and you’re responsible for something that can’t look after itself (it’s also a hassle to go to the loo).

As for the rest... ten days in Munich is a long time.
As already suggested here, definitely get the train to Salzburg and spend at least a night there. Hire a car, do the Neuschwanstein castle trip and get the cablecar to the top of the Zugspitze. The salt mine suggestion is good for kids as mentioned above (wooden slide etc), in case you drive to Salzburg instead. And towards the end of your trip, once you’ve spent time in 2019 Bavaria, do take half a day away from your family to visit the dark past in Dachau.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

User avatar
section8
the Secret Sauce
Posts: 30352
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2005 11:46 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by section8 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 pm

Are you going to wear lederhosen?
The freedom of birds is an insult to me.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 37435
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by GLimpet » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:27 am

section8 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 pm
Are you going to wear lederhosen?
Tracht!

https://www.trachten-angermaier.de

Our personal desire is to offer each woman a dirndl that is perfectly attuned to her and her style. Regardless of age, the feminine cut in combination with unique details underlines your particular merits. Even man looks in costume just good - with rustic leather pants, a beautiful shirt and an extraordinary vest - even stately man can not look.


Angermaier makes you want to dress. The positive attitude to life, the fulfilled desire for self-expression, the "me san me", the living tradition on the Oktoberfest, that is costume. Angermaier is costume. As soon as you visit our shops, you will feel the mood and the anticipation of hearty days and nights.

You are planning your wedding in costume or would like to dress for the next folk festival befitting? Then you are in the right place at Trachten Angermaier - the largest costume specialist in Munich

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:47 am

section8 wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:22 pm
Are you going to wear lederhosen?
My father in law got some for Christmas. I don't want to dress up, but I will probably follow the lead if everyone else does.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:51 am

simon_in_exile wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm
GLimpet wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:47 pm
Really, if the weather's nice, then just looning about with the kids in the massive Englischer Garten will be great fun.
The Englischer Garten is a great place to go during Oktoberfest with kids, because it’s not completely over-run with people but you can still soak up the atmosphere and some beers at eg the Chinesischen Turm (Chinese tower) in the park. I should know - I spent two weeks learning the fine art of drinking in Munich on a school exchange aged 14, have been back many times since, and ten years ago spent a long day in Munich during Oktoberfest mayhem with a bike and fully loaded panniers - a bit like having a kid with you as you can’t get too drunk and you’re responsible for something that can’t look after itself (it’s also a hassle to go to the loo).

As for the rest... ten days in Munich is a long time.
As already suggested here, definitely get the train to Salzburg and spend at least a night there. Hire a car, do the Neuschwanstein castle trip and get the cablecar to the top of the Zugspitze. The salt mine suggestion is good for kids as mentioned above (wooden slide etc), in case you drive to Salzburg instead. And towards the end of your trip, once you’ve spent time in 2019 Bavaria, do take half a day away from your family to visit the dark past in Dachau.
I guess the way I feel is we have three days with her parents, which will involve Oktoberfest and sight seeing in Munich, we'll do one more day of Oktoberfest on our own. Throw in 2-3 days of day trips in the area plus the half day there on the day we arrive and that's already pushing past a week (I checked and we're there 9 days, not 10). That's why I'm hesitant to throw Salzburg in there as it would be a bit rushed and it would mean every single day is pretty full of activities and I've learned to pad things by a couple of days with kids that young.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 am

Also, kids must be at least 4 years old to visit the salt mines near Salzburg.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62743
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:31 am

That sucks.

Time to lie about his age, imo.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:45 am

Our youngest will be 1. He’s big but not that big.

User avatar
GLimpet
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 37435
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 8:40 pm

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by GLimpet » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:49 am

muthafunky wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:02 am
Also, kids must be at least 4 years old to visit the salt mines near Salzburg.
Visit? Or work there?

I'm with you on "padding" days with travelling with kids.
They're exhausting and also easily exhausted.

Simple things can amuse them and when they're happy, you're happy.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:39 am

Right then, this is firming up. We stretched it to 2 weeks and threw in a layover in Iceland to ease the jet lag and break up the long flight for the kids. So now looks like itinerary is roughly:

Three days in Iceland. We splurged and are going to stay at the Blue Lagoon the day we arrive for maximum comfort and use of the private lagoon. It's not worth the price, but anyway. Then two more nights in Reykjavik at an Airbnb. Not planning to do much, walk around the town and harbor a bit. A few of the museums seem kid friendly (Whale Museum, Volcano House, Perlan). Probably do some more swimming, there's actually a beach on a lagoon they divert geothermally heated water into. Will be fun to say I swam in the ocean in Iceland. But mostly just a few days of relaxing.

Then we have a week in Munich, we're staying at a hotel suite in the same hotel as my in laws. Expensive this time of year but manageable. The first couple of full days we're planning day trips around Bavaria - one to Legoland and possibly rent a car to see a bit of the countryside and try to hit the Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace. Then we have three days with my wife's parents. We got a tent reservation at Marstall on a Sunday. I wanted to make sure we saw at least one of the big tents and this one is known to be less raucous, older, more kid friendly, etc. We'll also head back to the festival on Tuesday/ kids' day, I'd love to make it into that tent with the sky and clouds painted on the ceiling. I think both days we go to the festival we'll get there early, hit some rides, have some food, and down a few liters of beer and make an exit by early afternoon. I figure the couple of days of sightseeing in Munich will be enough to take in things like the old town, English Garden, Nymphenburg Palace, maybe a museum. I'll sneak away at some point to see Dachau solo.

We finish the trip with three days in Salzburg in an apartment right in the middle of old town. We might stop at Lake Chiemsee on the way, but probably depends on weather and how we're feeling. Otherwise two full days seems good to poke around in some churches, palaces, and museums without overloading the kids.

Train back to Munich the morning of the last day and fly out, this time with no layover but at the end of it at least we'll be home!

Comments? Suggestions? Abuse?

User avatar
simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15339
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:14 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:57 am

Sounds brilliant - the extended trip idea should work nicely.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62743
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:12 am

muthafunky wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:39 am
Right then, this is firming up. We stretched it to 2 weeks and threw in a layover in Iceland to ease the jet lag and break up the long flight for the kids. So now looks like itinerary is roughly:

Three days in Iceland. We splurged and are going to stay at the Blue Lagoon the day we arrive for maximum comfort and use of the private lagoon. It's not worth the price, but anyway. Then two more nights in Reykjavik at an Airbnb. Not planning to do much, walk around the town and harbor a bit. A few of the museums seem kid friendly (Whale Museum, Volcano House, Perlan). Probably do some more swimming, there's actually a beach on a lagoon they divert geothermally heated water into. Will be fun to say I swam in the ocean in Iceland. But mostly just a few days of relaxing.

Then we have a week in Munich, we're staying at a hotel suite in the same hotel as my in laws. Expensive this time of year but manageable. The first couple of full days we're planning day trips around Bavaria - one to Legoland and possibly rent a car to see a bit of the countryside and try to hit the Neuschwanstein Castle and Linderhof Palace. Then we have three days with my wife's parents. We got a tent reservation at Marstall on a Sunday. I wanted to make sure we saw at least one of the big tents and this one is known to be less raucous, older, more kid friendly, etc. We'll also head back to the festival on Tuesday/ kids' day, I'd love to make it into that tent with the sky and clouds painted on the ceiling. I think both days we go to the festival we'll get there early, hit some rides, have some food, and down a few liters of beer and make an exit by early afternoon. I figure the couple of days of sightseeing in Munich will be enough to take in things like the old town, English Garden, Nymphenburg Palace, maybe a museum. I'll sneak away at some point to see Dachau solo.

We finish the trip with three days in Salzburg in an apartment right in the middle of old town. We might stop at Lake Chiemsee on the way, but probably depends on weather and how we're feeling. Otherwise two full days seems good to poke around in some churches, palaces, and museums without overloading the kids.

Train back to Munich the morning of the last day and fly out, this time with no layover but at the end of it at least we'll be home!

Comments? Suggestions? Abuse?
Hitler's house is just over the border from Salzburg. Berchtesgaden is actually a pretty town. Hitler's house is five miles up in the hills from there.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
Bill Barilko
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15991
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Bill Barilko » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:32 am

There's good Cod fishing right in Reykjavík harbour an easy two hour trip on any old party boat is all you need

Image

Image
Nexus the criminally insane whore/backstabber wrote:You missed the porn site I set up in your name....Shall I send the link to everyone?

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Hitler's house is just over the border from Salzburg. Berchtesgaden is actually a pretty town. Hitler's house is five miles up in the hills from there.
I had to google that. I didn't realize you were talking about Eagle's Nest. It was on my original list of possible things to see. My wife has zero interest though as do the kids obviously, so it's hard to justify taking time away from Salzburg to go there.

User avatar
muthafunky
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 24681
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:50 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by muthafunky » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 pm

Bill Barilko wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:32 am
There's good Cod fishing right in Reykjavík harbour an easy two hour trip on any old party boat is all you need

Image

Image
Those images only show up for logged in users.

I've never done a fishing trip, it would be fun to do one day. I don't think a family trip is the right time though unless I had a day to myself.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 62743
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Oktoberfest Trip

Post by Lost Soul » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:41 am

There is an ice-free luge in the region for the chillens. It is a pretty valley of the Alps.

I also seem to recall a town NW of there, into deeper Bavaria, that was famous for dancing fountains. I can't remember the name, but I was there at one time.

https://www.bigboytravel.com/germany/be ... hingstodo/
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Post Reply