Prague, Ostrava, SW Poland

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
truenic
Stew Ingredient

Prague, Ostrava, SW Poland

Post by truenic » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:07 pm

In these places over Xmas 2019-2020 and will do the usual touristy haunts, but didn't know if anyone had spent time in these places that had something more interesting to share.

Closest major cities in Poland will be Katowice and Krakow. We will of course be visiting concentration camps somewhere between Ostrava and those cities, and luckily the trains seems to be great between the two places.

I would love hear from you about your time in the area, what you loved, what you didn't.

Cheers,
Nic

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Re: Prague, Ostrava, SW Poland

Post by VinnyD » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm

I liked the salt mine outside of Krakow.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:58 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:23 pm
I liked the salt mine outside of Krakow.
X2

I also took a day trip to Zakopane, but not during the winter.

On that day trip met a Polish-English guy who really recommended Warsaw; if I had to do it over again (from Krakow I went to Berlin, then flew to Rome to meet Ms. Wilster) I would definitely spend a couple/few nights there.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

I’ll answer my own question: — VinnyD

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:57 pm

We did mostly the touristy stuff in Prague. Let me look at couple of things and get back to you. There was a very good display armor and early weapons in on place just outside the palace grounds, I can try to find that for you if you are interested. We had a great Air BnB apartment in Prague if you want that information. It was just a few block from the Old Town Square but far enough it was pretty quiet.

There was also a great bakery that I will try to find the name of. We had breakfast there two days.

Also, if you are into Micheline star type restaurants we ate at Field and thought it was really interesting. The chef is into "bold tastes" and for me that meant I liked some things more than others but overall very much enjoyed the meal.

We also did overnight at Cesky Krumlov which we really enjoyed. We did a walking tour there which I could also dig out the information for it you wish.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:28 pm

The bakery in Prague is "the Bakeshop". Kozí 1, 110 00 Josefov
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:51 am

Ohhh, thank you Stan! I'm always up for a good bakery. We're with a hockey group, so accoms are taken care of, but I appreciate the offer.

I honestly thought the salt mine was a joke, but I looked it up, so thanks!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:25 pm

I spent four days in Krakow. One around Rynek Głowny, climbed the bell tower and toured the Collegium Majus —I liked that tour but your tastes, and your guide, may differ, one at the Castle and in Kazimierz; I liked Kazimierz more than the castle but both are OK; one at the salt mine; and one at Auschwitz. Auschwitz is all guided tours and a lot depends on your guide on such things. I liked my guide at the Collegium Majus and loved the guide at the salt mine; was not crazy about the guide at Auschwitz nor about the sense of being herded through on a tight schedule, but it may be different in winter.

NorthAmerican
Stew Ingredient

Post by NorthAmerican » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:57 pm

Although my paternal grandparents met in America, they both were from what was then a poor Slovak farming village in Austria-Hungary. I've never been there, but a cousin who visited said that Oswiecim (Auschwitz), Krakow, and Zakopane are all within easy reach from there. My relatives there speak Polish, which gradually replaced Slovak once Poland was reconstituted after World War I. Here's how the place looks now:

I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Total Reject
Stew Ingredient

Post by Total Reject » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm

There are quite a few small national parks near Krakow, mostly along the Slovak border. Ojcow is right outside of town. Tatras is probably the most impressive and you could get out for skiing or snowshoeing around Zakopane.

Boinkity_Boink
Stew Ingredient

Post by Boinkity_Boink » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 am

Total Reject wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm
There are quite a few small national parks near Krakow, mostly along the Slovak border. Ojcow is right outside of town. Tatras is probably the most impressive and you could get out for skiing or snowshoeing around Zakopane.
The Tatras are impressive mountains. Though I've only seen them from the Slovak side.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:31 am

Boinkity_Boink wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:25 am
Total Reject wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:45 pm
The Tatras are impressive mountains. Though I've only seen them from the Slovak side.
Zakopane, Poland is where you want to be, truenic. It was pretty rough when I was there long ago, but one of our Polish posters said it has been normalized.

IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Andrea1
Stew Ingredient

Post by Andrea1 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:50 pm

20 years ago Zakopane was beautiful, spacious. But I liked the Smokovecs on the Slovak side, more. Not Poprad, the Slovak entry city, though. That wasn't at all attractive. Use Krakow as your base, entry/exit.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:40 pm

I was in Zakopane in 1998 and it was lovely. Great hiking up to the Slovak border, with some chains to drag yourself up/down the rockier bits. I bought myself a wooden jumper which was itchy as hell.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:02 pm

Our family are in Wisla, which is a sweet ski resort near the border. We've only been in the summer though, so have never seen it in snow. Our recreation has been swimming and boating in the river that gives the town its name and runs through it. It's in the Beskid range, and lovely for hiking. My husband and his cousins set off in their youth to find the source of the Wisla/Vistula. Never found it, got lost, and had to have search party out for them. Don't do that.
Pass the wine...

Bastet
Stew Ingredient

Post by Bastet » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:30 am

We loved the bone church in Kutna Hora. It’s about an hour outside Prague.

Krakow was fantastic. Deffo go to the sale mine!

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:01 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:40 pm
I bought myself a wooden jumper which was itchy as hell.
I would think the splinters would hurt also.

simon_in_exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by simon_in_exile » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:01 pm

Heh! Nice autocorrect :D
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

truenic
Stew Ingredient

Post by truenic » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:47 pm

Woo! Great intel peeps. Amazingly, a volunteer I worked with this past weekend was born in Ostrava. What the hell? So she has also given me some great tips.
I hadn't even considered going snowshoeing, so thanks for making me think of it!