Four hours in Heathrow

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Four hours in Heathrow

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:07 pm

So soon, both going and coming, we are going to have four hour layovers in Heathrow. On the way over we land at terminal 5 and leave from 3. Roughly lunch time.

On the way back the reverse, land at 3, depart from 5. Just a bit later lunch time.

No club passes so, anyone want to recommend a place for us to have a relaxing lunch at the airport?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Four hours in Heathrow

Post by cummy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:00 am

take a look at this lhr site. after you provide your flight details, it will give you a step by step guide of how to go between lhr terminals. in your case, for T5>T3 or T3>T5 transits, the site says to allow 90 minutes.

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

i would highly recommend that you get to your next terminal as quickly as possible because you just never know how long the security screening lines can be, etc. once you get to your departure terminal, then see how much time you have left ... and then decide on where you want to eat. you may have time to sit down for a proper meal, or you may only have time to grab a sandwich and run to your next flight.

the list of restos at each lhr terminal can be looked up here:
https://www.heathrow.com/shops-and-restaurants

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:29 am

Anymore, you need to be at the gate at least 30-45 minutes before scheduled departure time.

cummy, I have 6 hours in AMS coming up.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:56 am

You're lucky. I am going to have more than four hours at Berlin Schönefeld. Can't check my bag through to Krakow and I bet I won't be able to check it with RyanAir that early and go into the city. And don't want to take the chance on being able to check it at the Gemäldegalerie or wherever.

And SXF is no LHR.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Stan, there's a Carluccio's in Terminal 5. It's a chain but it does pretty decent Italian food. I recommend the crab bruschetta, the calamari fritti, the crab & langoustine tagliolini and the spaghetti vongole (often on the specials) to start and the saltimbocca of the mains. Nice cocktails, too.

3 is a bit harder, but there's probably an oyster bar.
Wibble.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate all the advise. Man I hope with four hours we have more time than just a sandwich on the run but better safe than sorry.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:29 am
Anymore, you need to be at the gate at least 30-45 minutes before scheduled departure time.
and speaking of that... my niece recently transited T5>T5 (BA to BA). she transited security fine @ T5. however, at the airplane boarding gate she was DENIED boarding. like wtf. her bags were pulled, and she had to beg/scream/punch BA idiots to be rebooked on a next available flight. in typical BA style, those fuckers were unhelpful, unaccommodating and had ZERO compassion for a teenage girl. this is the famous BA customer dis-service that we always hear about.

apparently - and i am still confused about this - was that the retina scan at the security point did not transit properly to BA. so BA thought that she did not go through security ... and thus was a potential terrorist or at least a flight risk ... and thus denied her boarding. i did not know that retina scan security details were interfaced to BA systems. can anyone else confirm this? so that is why she was denied boarding. all fingers point to BA, and BA was well aware of this. and still BA provided NO service to this teenager. thanks to my niece calling me via WHATSAPP that i was able to walk her through how to get the BA assholes to rebook her, re-tag her bags to her final destination, etc.

gosh, sometimes BA acts just like united. :evil: :evil:

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:51 pm

"gosh, sometimes BA acts just like united. :evil: :evil:"

And yet, one of the best customer service experiences I had was at LHR with United, when I was rushing to make a flight. I was some middling status at the time--and it was only about 5 years ago?

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:59 am

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 pm

cummy wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:00 am
take a look at this lhr site. after you provide your flight details, it will give you a step by step guide of how to go between lhr terminals. in your case, for T5>T3 or T3>T5 transits, the site says to allow 90 minutes.

https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections

i would highly recommend that you get to your next terminal as quickly as possible because you just never know how long the security screening lines can be, etc. once you get to your departure terminal, then see how much time you have left ... and then decide on where you want to eat. you may have time to sit down for a proper meal, or you may only have time to grab a sandwich and run to your next flight.

the list of restos at each lhr terminal can be looked up here:
https://www.heathrow.com/shops-and-restaurants
Definitely do what cummy says and get over there to T3 and through security as first priority.

Once in there, choices are as below:

https://www.heathrow.com/shops-and-rest ... artNumber=

Last time I was there I just sat in Yo! Sushi because they had space to put my laptop and work, and grabbed a couple of plates. It depends on the crowds and available tables/counters. Don't forget that Yo! Sushi Miso soup includes unlimited free refills which can make it a good bargain and good rehydration for tired travellers.

try a couple of (tiny) free samples fro World of Whisky if you can be bothered.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:53 pm

For Amsterdam, avoid the usual tired sex museum crap and head for the cool trendy upmarket "9 streets"
https://www.iamsterdam.com/en/about-ams ... /9-streets

Easy walk from the Central station

Plenty of cool cafe/bar type places to sit in or out within the 9 streets grid and bordering canals and streets.

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:46 pm

GLimpet wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:41 pm
try a couple of (tiny) free samples fro World of Whisky if you can be bothered.
Thanks for the tips. I am more likely to hit WoW on the return trip. Not sure after an international flight with another few hours to go I want to be drinking. Now, on the way home facing that same transatlantic flight it could be just the ticket.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:34 am

The traditional Stew means to kill time at Heathrow is to meet a French chick you know for champagne and awesome boning.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:16 am

Last time at Heathrow I was able to purchase vegemite then have it confiscated by security before I'd even opened it. At least I was smart enough to drink my alcohol before going through the last security check.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:27 pm

ben_hanscombe wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:34 am
The traditional Stew means to kill time at Heathrow is to meet a French chick you know for champagne and awesome boning.
or ... to have sex in the showers in the british airways first class lounge. :o :o :lol: :lol:

Stan In Maryland
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stan In Maryland » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Ben and Cummy, I don't think my wife would approve of the French chick idea (and I don't know any) and we don't have first class lounge passes.

GLimpet
Stew Ingredient

Post by GLimpet » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 pm

cummy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:27 pm
ben_hanscombe wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:34 am
or ... to have sex in the showers in the british airways first class lounge. :o :o :lol: :lol:
For some reason I get that ewww image of Expat and cummy going for it every time I take a shower at Heathrow.

Then I remember I'm only in the Business Class lounge.

Not the "Fist ClASS Lounge"

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm

^^^ thank you for subscribing to my youtube channel.

FIST class ... hahaha!

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Where is kotagiri's post?

Anyway, bit of a heads-up: if you do fly to the US and enter at Detroit, YES you do have to pick up your bag and recheck it. The annoying bit is that TSA pre-check is only available in the domestic entry point upstairs. I should have just taken off my shoes and taken out my laptop and rearranged my liquids. It would have been easier and faster than going up to the 3rd floor and going through the passport/ID check point plus a fairly slow TSA pre-check line with slowpokey Midwesterners.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:45 pm

^^^ yes, this has always been the rule. at the first point of entry into the usa, all pax must go through customs/immig (ok, yes, it's all the same to us), collect your checked bags, and then throw the bags onto a transfer/connecting belt. you then must go through security (with NO tsa pre-check, which i find just stupid) and head to your next gate.

a very very limited few airports (such as sh!thole IAH/houston) - but only if you are doing an int'l to int'l connection - say that your checked bags are auto transferred to your next flight. no need to pick them up. i don't ever trust this. we know that in IAH/houston, there's always a problem.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:50 pm

oh that reminds me... a few years ago i flew delta from AMS to detroit/DTW. upon boarding the next flight DTW-SFO, DL asked for volunteers. as i wasn't working and was in no rush to head home, i accepted the offer. it was $400 (iirc) in travel vouchers, a night at a nearby hotel, dinner voucher, and a confirmed seat on the next day's flight. big mistake! why? the hotel they put me up in - along with other pax and all DL pilots and many DL flight attendants - was a total sh!thole. incredibly nasty hotel. filthy. old. dirty dirty dirty. this hotel should have been condemned - in like 1978! i refused to walk in my room without my shoes on as the carpet was gross. i was actually quite scared to sleep in the bed. so i will think twice before accepting anymore flight bumps on DL in DTW.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 am

Do you recall the name of the hotel?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:03 pm

If you aren't staying in the Westin at DTW, they're probably going to comp you into some fleabag in Romulus. I haven't been subjected to this fate, living nearby as I do, but I can readily imagine that anywhere you're booked into in the vicinity is going to be less than ideal or even acceptable.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:48 pm

I think cummy has been put up by airlines in decent hotels though.

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Chip_Oatley wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:48 pm
I think cummy has been put up by airlines in decent hotels though.
yessss! and, the higher elite status you are on an airline the better hotel you will get. but this certainly wasn't the case with this stay!
Chip_Oatley wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:47 am
Do you recall the name of the hotel?
i cannot remember the name, so i just did a google. one shitty hotel that stands out from my search is the MAGNUSON HOTEL in romulus. but after seeing this name, the name doesn't ring a bell. i most likely intentionally blocked out the hotel name from my memory. the pics on the website look maybe familiar - but i am still not 100%. i do recall the hotel having 2 floors only. the hotel was spread out ... so lots of rooms(?). there were NO elevators at all, which i found surprising. the hotel seemed to not have been renovated since 1965. the staff were unhelpful. the brekkie had signs (not politely written) as to which dishes you could have based on the type of brekkie voucher you had. i remember seeing another hotel from my room window. i was tempted to leave and go to that hotel, but i was too knackered to do so (having just come in from AMS). what i found super surprising was that many delta pilots (and a few delta flight attendants) were also staying at this flea bag dump.

oh ... i just looked at some trip advisor reviews. yep, this might have been the dump that i stayed in!!