Delhi - 12 hour overnight layover

We're travelers here. Tourists can be found on that other board.
Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Delhi - 12 hour overnight layover

Post by Cyllarus » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Arriving on Swissair at midnight and flying out on Air India for Colombo at 12 noon.

Assume we can stay in J class lounge as will be in transit but wonder what comfort they provide. Understand the terminal hotel is the shits. Anyone ever try the sleeping pods at Indira Ghandi airport?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: Delhi - 12 hour overnight layover

Post by twodogs » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:42 am

The lounges KLM uses are very comfortable. I heard the pods have curtains instead of walls and are noisy.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

cummy
Stew Ingredient

Post by cummy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:01 am

here is a list of lounges @ DEL. some are open 24 hours.
https://www.staralliance.com/en/lounge- ... 2C%20India

but ... i know nothing about how DEL is set up. LX most likely uses the LH lounges, but this may be for departing pax only. they may not (and probably won't) allow you to use the LH lounges as an arrival lounge. the LH lounge is not 24 hours anyway.

you say your next flight is on AI. the AI lounges say they are open 24 hours. without knowing anything about DEL, i would say to head to this lounge - via whatever passport checks, security checks, etc. are needed. i don't know if DEL has a proper "sterile" area where you don't need to officially enter their country. and, would you need a visa anyway? hmmm.

here is a review from 2016 of the AI first and AI biz lounges @ DEL ... with lots of pictures. there are showers and nap rooms. i am not sure if the nap rooms can be used by biz and first pax, or only first pax.
https://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com ... i-airport/

Cyllarus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Cyllarus » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:25 pm

Thanks the 2 of you. Cummy, I e-mailed LX and asked about which biz lounge we could use in Delhi and they sent me listing of the lounges but no other info.

Thinking of getting 2 entry visa (we are travelling in India after Sri Lanka) and then going to nearby hotel. Flight to CMB is noon on Air India.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:27 pm

Last time I was in Delhi airport I was impressed, but 12 hours is long enough to find dinner and a hotel. It’s India. Every budget is catered for. Dive in.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 pm

You will need a visa if you want to leave the airport.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:24 pm

I stayed in an airport hotel in Delhi once when there was a problem with the Saudia plane. Saudia paid. I thought the room was fine but I don't know if it was the hotel you mean by the terminal hotel, and it was a long time ago. I enjoyed the fact that Saudi Arabia was footing the bill for me and my traveling companion to spend one more night together.

I remember in the queue for the dinner buffet, some indian contract laborers, who made up most of the passengers, talking nervously to each other until one of them who had some English asked us if they would have to pay for the meal. I also remember leaving a history of the Indian Army on the flight. #stillannoyed.

In any case if I were you I would make sure there isn't a decent hotel within twenty minutes or so of the airport. Even if it means a visa, assuming you have time to get one. Or stay at the terminal hotel if you can without a visa, unless the reports are extremely dire indeed.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 am

There are several hotels adjacent to the new airport in Delhi for less than $100.

I never stayed here but a coworker has and liked it. https://www.newdelhiairport.in/airport-hotel.aspx''

There are plenty of options so I would not book ahead in the event your flight arrives late or immigration is slow. If you get in on time you should be able to get a solid 8 hours in the room. I sleep well on planes but if you don't it might be worth it.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:20 pm

y cuchulainn » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 pm

You will need a visa if you want to leave the airport.
yes
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:26 pm

"Thinking of getting 2 entry visa (we are travelling in India after Sri Lanka) and then going to nearby hotel."
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

If you've got a blacklist I want to be on it.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Geoffers
Stew Ingredient

Post by Geoffers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Citizens of many countries can now get a one month visa on arrival.