Golf: U.S. Ryder Cup Team Captain's Picks (3 Will Be Made Today)

If it's got balls, it's here
steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Golf: U.S. Ryder Cup Team Captain's Picks (3 Will Be Made Today)

Post by steveogolf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:28 pm

U.S. Team Captain Jim Furyk will announce 3 of his 4 Captain's Picks for the U.S. Team today at 5 P.M. U.S. Eastern Time (That's in approximately 35 minutes from right now). It is expected that the 3 named will be:
Bryson DeChambeau,
Phil Mickelson, and
Tiger Woods.

Furyk has 1 additional Captain's Pick which will be announced next Monday.

Stay Tuned!
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Re: Golf: U.S. Ryder Cup Team Captain's Picks (3 Will Be Made Today)

Post by misanthrope » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:26 am

They should have picked captains with winning records.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Yes, Just as expected, U.S. Captain Jim Furyk selected Bryson DeChambeau, Phil Mickelson, and Tiger Woods as 3 of his Captain's Picks for the Ryder Cup which will be held in France on September 28, 29, and 30, 2018.
Furyk will name his 4th and final Captain's Pick next Monday. My bet is that it will be either Matt Kuchar or Kevin Kisner, with Tony Finau and Gary Woodland being longshots but possibilities.

Nines
Regular Guy

Post by Nines » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:28 am

Can we get a player lineup and rankings per steveogolf?

Much appreciated.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:53 am

You're all shit and you will lose

hth niner dipstick

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Nines wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:28 am
Can we get a player lineup and rankings per steveogolf?

Much appreciated.
I'll plan on doing it in the next week.
It might interesting to also show the Rankings of the players on each side for each match once the pairings are posted for each day.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Their ryder cup record would also be interesting. I don't Tiger's is all that good. May even be under .500.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 pm

eric84 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:09 pm
Their ryder cup record would also be interesting. I don't Tiger's is all that good. May even be under .500.
My recollection is that Tiger Woods has a losing record in the Ryder Cup. But this stat can be misleading because in many matches it might have been his playing partner who played crappy.
Singles only results might be more representative of a history.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm

steveogolf wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 pm
eric84 wrote:
My recollection is that Tiger Woods has a losing record in the Ryder Cup. But this stat can be misleading because in many matches it might have been his playing partner who played crappy.
Yeah, but most of the competition is team play so it's kinda important. I doubt he blame all his losses on other players.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:25 pm

eric84 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm
steveogolf wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:14 pm
eric84 wrote:
Yeah, but most of the competition is team play so it's kinda important. I doubt he blame all his losses on other players.
Ageed. Not all, but possibly some.
But the point is that with team play it MAY not be Tiger's "fault" that a particular match was lost.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:30 pm

Sure, it would be interesting to research how he played in those team matches. My gut tells me he's not really great at working with another player.

I notice Phil's record is also not terribly impressive: only .500 even in singles play.

Why did they pick these guys again?

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:18 pm

They picked these guys because they were not automatic (not the top 8 in the standings), but were close to the top 8. DeChambeau won the last tournament and did great in the tournament before that one. Tiger has been playing great. Phil is close to the top 8 with a ranking higher than Tiger. Tiger and Phil were picked because they are good players with experience in this type of format.

By the way, Today Tiger shot 62 ( - 8 ) in Round # 1 of the BMW Championship in Pennsylvania and leads the tournament.

The U.S. has had lousy Team Play in Ryder Cups even when they have had superior individuals. The reason for the bad play was tested in the WALKER CUP (similar format to Ryder Cup but where amateurs from the U.S. play Europe) last September. The U.S. Walker Cup coach, "Spider" opined that the reason for the bad team play was because there was too much consulting by the U.S. paired players, so at the Walker Cup (played in Los Angeles) the U.S. players did NOT CONSULT AT ALL WITH EACH OTHER IN THE TEAM PLAY, AND DID GREAT ! In alternate shot a U.S. player would hit his drive down the fairway and the other player would watch but not talk to the player and just walk to the ball and hit it. No consulting on putts either. Just a player and his caddy. And it worked. Maybe Furyk will employ the same advice to Team U.S.A. players.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 pm

I would consulting is especially important in group alternate shot to figure out strategy on each hole, what kind of approach to leave, what length they like to hit, etc.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:42 pm

eric84 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:52 pm
I would consulting is especially important in group alternate shot to figure out strategy on each hole, what kind of approach to leave, what length they like to hit, etc.
It was determined (and probably rightly so) by the U.S. Walker Cup Coach that the consulting over club selection and putting between the American players during alternate shot matches and best ball matches was too much of a distraction and also took the player making the shot out of his usual routine. This is the explanation.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:55 pm

My selection for the final U.S. Ryder Cup team Captain's Pick is XANDER SCHAUFFELE. He is the highest ranked of the U.S. players who did not being automatic selections, and he has been playing better of late than any of the other possible candidates.
Many will remember that Schauffele finished second in the (British) Open Championship at Carnoustie GC in July, 2018.
At the BMW Championship currently being played he is in First Place after Round # 2 at - 13 (with a 63 & 64).
Unfortunately, he is not a household name, and that has hurt his chances of making the team. As a college player he played for San Diego State University.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:50 pm

U.S. TTeam Captain Jim Furyk selected long-hitting Tony Finau as his final Captain's Pick for the Ryder Cup.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Sat Sep 15, 2018 5:47 pm

The latest as of Saturday, September 15, 2018 is that Team U.S.A. thinks that they have figured out the perfect pairings that they will use in Four Ball (Best Ball) and Foursomes (Alternate Shot) formats.

Ryder Cup Weekend is in two weeks.