Mourning The Death of Two Golf Greats

If it's got balls, it's here
steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Mourning The Death of Two Golf Greats

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Mourning the death of two golfing greats: (1). Peter Thomson, a 5 time winner of the (British) Open Championship, including 3 straight wins at The Open (1954, 1955, and 1956) was a golf legend. Thomson won 84 tournaments as a professional and was the first Australian to win a Major. He was undoubtedly the greatest Australian golfer of all time. He was 88 years old.
(2). Hubert Green, a top player in the 1970's, and winner of the 1977 U.S. Open at Southern Hills, He died at age 71.
RIP in Golf Heaven.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

eric84

Re: Mourning The Death of Two Golf Greats

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:21 pm

I recall Green had a pretty unorthodox swing.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:52 pm

The two most unorthodox swings: Jim Furyk and Hubert Green.
The most unorthodox putting stance: R.H. Sikes, NCAA Champion and PGA Tour Pro (but not nearly as successful as Dan Sikes).

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:11 pm

Sam Snead had a lot of weird putting stances near the end of his golfing career as I recall. Tee to green was great but his putting wasn't. I think he was putting backwards through his legs but the PGA banned it.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:50 am

Johnny Miller had an orthodox putting stance. But what made him special was having his caddy line up behind him and verbally adjust his putt. It made Miller the best in the world for a few years, until the PGA banned it.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:00 am

Miller’s putting also completely fell apart at the end of his career because of the yips

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 pm

Add to the list of odd unorthodox swings of past and present PRO golfers: Miller Barber.
It should be unanimous that the award for the worst swing of any golfer, pro or amateur, goes to Charles Barkley. You've got to see it to believe it. Even a golf lesson from Tiger Woods didn't help him.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:57 pm

That hesitation swing Sir Charles has is awful.

My dad told me he caddied a guy who would stand behind the ball, take 2 steps forward and swing. A more elegant version of Happy Gilmore. He was scratch golfer, apparently.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:04 am

It was always interesting to hear Peter Thomson talk about golf, he thought golf was a simple game made complex by the 'Experts', caddy's should keep quite and never give any sort of advise to a good golfer and bunkers should never be raked to make them real hazards.

Even if you didn't always agree with him,Thompson was always had interesting thought's about the game.
No signature for you!