Changing moderation standards

Provide your questions, comments, ideas and suggested improvements to Political Stew here.
Post Reply
User avatar
matt_melb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8362
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Changing moderation standards

Post by matt_melb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:10 am

What is going on?

Manch is not allowed to post.

The 'Drunk spammer thread' is locked, presumably in an effort to discourage anyone posting about Manch not being allowed to post.

A few weeks ago we had a discussion about preventing people seeing the Stew unless logged in, and those who wanted to limit access lost. Now the idea has been resurrected under a new guise, by some sore losers, to 'protect' the people who voluntarily chose to post naked pictures of themselves.

[And no, Lulu, I'm not suggesting that the people who posted the pictures are the ones who are now trying to re-open the discussion. It's a bunch of others, just using it as an excuse for a second try at getting their own way in an argument they lost before.]

Bunch of control freaks.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18256
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:15 am

There are so many things that are more important right now, than Manch's right to post every random thought as his vodka sozzled brain melts into mush.

I can't even begin to fucking list them.

User avatar
Klara
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25557
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Klara » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:19 am

Things got deleted on the Drunk Spammer thread this (CET) morning but it had nothing to do with Manch.

User avatar
andybox
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27719
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by andybox » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:29 am

If anyone feels the need to use my bare ass pic for nefarious purposes, be my guest.
The rich get richer, the poor get the picture, the bombs never hit you when you're down so low.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 55676
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:34 am

matt_melb wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:10 am
What is going on?

Manch is not allowed to post.

The 'Drunk spammer thread' is locked, presumably in an effort to discourage anyone posting about Manch not being allowed to post.

A few weeks ago we had a discussion about preventing people seeing the Stew unless logged in, and those who wanted to limit access lost. Now the idea has been resurrected under a new guise, by some sore losers, to 'protect' the people who voluntarily chose to post naked pictures of themselves.

[And no, Lulu, I'm not suggesting that the people who posted the pictures are the ones who are now trying to re-open the discussion. It's a bunch of others, just using it as an excuse for a second try at getting their own way in an argument they lost before.]

Bunch of control freaks.
Our mods have become YC. It's very sad.

You YC peeps won.

Again, it's very sad.

Very, very sad.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
andybox
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27719
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by andybox » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:35 am

In all the times I’ve posted here, I can recall flagging a post once. That was due to the poster inadvertently posting a pic with personal information in the background. It could have been Zaffer.
The rich get richer, the poor get the picture, the bombs never hit you when you're down so low.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 55676
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am

I think the mods respond to bitchy, whining YCers (redundant).

If the PSers raised hell like we used to, they would cease and desist with their bullshittery.

The whole Manch episode is fucked in the head, or in other words, very YC. The mods should take a bow, not.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
rezuar
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 13120
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by rezuar » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am

The Drunk Spammer thread was NOT locked because of Manch. How many times before some posters get this?
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 55676
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:43 am

rezuar wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am
The Drunk Spammer thread was NOT locked because of Manch. How many times before some posters get this?
I never said it was.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
andybox
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27719
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:09 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by andybox » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:43 am

Why was it locked?
The rich get richer, the poor get the picture, the bombs never hit you when you're down so low.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by sodelicious » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:44 am

rezuar wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am
The Drunk Spammer thread was NOT locked because of Manch. How many times before some posters get this?
Was it locked because of the anti Manch whiners?
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3380
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Vodd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:46 am

I imagine it was the chip and red woman spat. Lots. Of accusations and revisionism and mostly bullshit being slung around. I can understand why some might want it removed but it would have been better to keep it so it can be used as evidence when the. Bat shittery kicks off again. Which will probably be before the weekend is out.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
Klara
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25557
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Klara » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:47 am

It was a mutual personal attack totally and utterly unrelated to Manch. Really.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:48 am

Did Chip contact someone's neighbour though?

Either everyone is lying or that is mental.

Mental either way.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3380
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Vodd » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 am

Did you really phone her up at work and go into a meltdown when she didnt return your call?
Anyone can shit stir.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
Klara
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25557
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Klara » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 am

Chip was not involved.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:51 am

Vodd wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 am
Did you really phone her up at work and go into a meltdown when she didnt return your call?
Anyone can shit stir.
No. She called me when I was sat next to my boss

11 years ago....

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:55 am

That was when I was working in the Lehman Brothers building in Canary Wharf.

12 months later I was in my flat in Amsterdam watching them carry their stuff out in boxes

Strange times.
Last edited by Stephen_Dedalus on Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rezuar
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 13120
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by rezuar » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:00 am

What Klara said. Chip was not involved and it wasn’t about Manch at all.
Keep an open mind but not so open your brain falls out.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:04 am

So she didn't make a thread on YC about contacting Pad's neighbour via Craigslist?

User avatar
matt_melb
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8362
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:45 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by matt_melb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:05 am

Right. And now this thread, which is (among other things) an objection to limiting access to Streeterville, gets removed from Streeterville, so no-one will see it.
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:15 am
There are so many things that are more important right now, than Manch's right to post every random thought as his vodka sozzled brain melts into mush.

I can't even begin to fucking list them.
Sure. There are lots more important things than Manch, and there are lots more important things than me. I hadn't realised this was a board where only important things could be discussed.

Why don't we just re-configure the board to have 3 sections:
1. Topics the moderators like.
2. Topics about Important Things.
3. Everything else.

And then we could block access to section 3, and delete everything off it every night.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18256
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am

I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18256
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:20 am

Oh. This is already in sound 9ff.

Jolly good.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by sodelicious » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down.
Does that include you as well?
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18256
Joined: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:20 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:30 am

I'm totally chilled now, sodel.

Back in my hospital bed. Talking to my ward mate, about to have a shower.

JHW saw a doctor and is now safe back home. Hopefully my gate leave tomorrow will be much less eventful.

User avatar
The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 12365
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by The Mallard Missie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:54 am

Lost Soul wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:34 am
matt_melb wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:10 am
What is going on?

Manch is not allowed to post.

The 'Drunk spammer thread' is locked, presumably in an effort to discourage anyone posting about Manch not being allowed to post.

A few weeks ago we had a discussion about preventing people seeing the Stew unless logged in, and those who wanted to limit access lost. Now the idea has been resurrected under a new guise, by some sore losers, to 'protect' the people who voluntarily chose to post naked pictures of themselves.

[And no, Lulu, I'm not suggesting that the people who posted the pictures are the ones who are now trying to re-open the discussion. It's a bunch of others, just using it as an excuse for a second try at getting their own way in an argument they lost before.]

Bunch of control freaks.
Our mods have become YC. It's very sad.

You YC peeps won.

Again, it's very sad.

Very, very sad.
The return of RomanB, the lonely plagiarist.
The Duck Delusion

User avatar
dBrother
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 23039
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by dBrother » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 am

sodelicious wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:44 am
rezuar wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am
The Drunk Spammer thread was NOT locked because of Manch. How many times before some posters get this?
Was it locked because of the anti Manch whiners?
this happened.

.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28346
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:55 pm

Vodd wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:50 am
Did you really phone her up at work and go into a meltdown when she didnt return your call?
Anyone can shit stir.
He went into full meltdown because he thought I was ignoring his emails AFTER an awkward, brief phone call. He'd asked me to call him at work, and gave me the #. I said I'll call at my lunchtime. I call, friendly and cheerful (American), and he was obviously very nervous but to the point where it made me feel awkward. He mumbled some nonsensical stuff, and I said "OK, well we can talk another time." I had lunch and went straight to a 3-hour meeting. When I returned and opened my email, there were 20 emails in a row from him, starting with "I'm embarrassed--I was nervous and weird" to "FUCK YOU [MY REAL NAME IN CAPS]!!! FUCK YOU THREE WAYS TO HELL [MY REAL NAME IN CAPS]!!!!"

If only it had stopped there. Just a few years ago, he was PMing me asking for a 2nd chance. "I have money now. I'm more mature." :lol:

So, obviously, I deserve every ounce of abuse.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:00 pm

You forgot the part where you were going to fly to Paris to attend a rugby world cup game with a complete stranger from the Internet.

No one comes out of this looking sane in the head, Chip.

But you do carry on providing the amusement for others, girl.

Seriously though, what sort of nutter contacts someone's neighbour to say they are being talked about on the Internet?

That's a whole different level of crazy.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:04 pm

Do you think we will still be talking about this in another 11 years in 2029?

I mean talk about people (you and i) needing to get a fucking life.

My excuse is I am a piss head.

What's your self diagnosis?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 55676
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:10 pm

sodelicious wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down.
Does that include you as well?
She was the biggest uncalmed person in here, bar none.

And she earned her well earned nickname.

But it shouldn't take me to agitate the fucking mods to tell these foreign assholes to fuck off with their totalitarianism.

But I digress...
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28346
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:37 pm

And then that (the barrage of bizarre emails) was the end of it as far as I was concerned.

I have a vague recollection of never getting paid back for World Cup tickets and of ^this psycho being shocked that I would go ahead with my trip that had only ever had little to do with him. As memories go, I had bigger fish to fry at the time (️💔) so that is my primary recollection of my time in Europe that summer. That, and climbing 9 flights to my Parisian friends' flat a few times a day and getting a firmer bottom.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:51 pm

That was my first month in my new flat in Amsterdam, September 2007.
Awesome month.

Apart from England losing the final to South Africa.

Speak to you again in another 11 years.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 28346
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Chip_Oatley » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:05 pm

And the sex with that scientist...ohmygod. It was just otherworldly. I'd met him at a conference in D.C. (after, at the cocktail party in the Museum of Natural History). During one visit I made to him in Europe...well it would make a good article. Wow. There are nice photos of us from a New Year's Eve party at my friends' place near where I am now. For a while, I couldn't look at those photos. He'd asked me to wait for him to get his shit together, and I'd blurted out without thinking, "no, I can't go through this again!" Sad stuff. Some people really imprint your heart and mind forever.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 55676
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:02 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:21 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:10 pm
sodelicious wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:25 am
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 am
I think everyone needs to calm the fuck down.
Does that include you as well?
She was the biggest uncalmed person in here, bar none.

And she earned her well earned nickname.

But it shouldn't take me to agitate the fucking mods to tell these foreign assholes to fuck off with their totalitarianism.

But I digress...
American mods shouldn't need me to buck them up against the foreign fascists, and their felonious hatred of free speech.

Fuck them.

You clueless mods are Americans.

Act like it already, god damn it.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29313
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by leela » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:21 pm

I saw the posts that led to the locking, and they were really horrible. Nothing to do with Manch at all, so Matt, you really need to let go of this. Those posts had to go, and would have on any board. Really grim stuff.
There was nothing 'YC' about them either.

And no, I didn't report them.
Pass the wine...

User avatar
pezworld
Admin's Concubine
Posts: 32470
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:00 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by pezworld » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 pm

Leela and rez and Klara are correct. I'll go unlock the thread now. I just needed to sleep and let things calm down first.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

User avatar
dBrother
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 23039
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:54 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by dBrother » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:13 pm

pezworld wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 pm
Leela and rez and Klara are correct.
Ahem...
dBrother wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:39 am
sodelicious wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:44 am
rezuar wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:41 am
The Drunk Spammer thread was NOT locked because of Manch. How many times before some posters get this?
Was it locked because of the anti Manch whiners?
this happened.

.

User avatar
Lulu
Pain in the ass
Posts: 7007
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:18 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lulu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:20 pm

It was me and Red.
I heard that you like the bad girls. Honey, is that true?

User avatar
gnd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15265
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by gnd » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 am

Image
Taking advantage of what is not working to make changes in your life often leads to your greatest opportunities and accomplishments --GND

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15556
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lincoln » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:55 pm

gnd wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 am
Image

What does that mean?

I always have to decipher your posts gnd...i've yet to read one that is easy to comprehend

User avatar
Klara
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 25557
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:43 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Klara » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Shaking my head
Shaking my mother fucking head

Must I teach you everything?

User avatar
Lincoln
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 15556
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Lincoln » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:28 pm

Well you are a teacher !

Thank you.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3380
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Vodd » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:09 am

Theyve become a joke.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 13409
Joined: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:59 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Our unpaid volunteer mods have done a hell of a good job on this site for many years. They strike just about the right balance in my opinion, and I like as much permissiveness as possible. There are a couple of things you really can't do here, but as long as you recognize what they are, it's pretty much free wheeling otherwise.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 8123
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:41 am

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by ManchVegas » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:04 pm

The Mods have changed for sure but you are right. They don't get paid and like I've already said they can ban me just for funzies if they want.
Ritalin Brightens Your Day!

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 70002
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Changing moderation standards

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:12 pm

Tick Tock Tick Tock

Post Reply