Manch megathread - protest

Provide your questions, comments, ideas and suggested improvements to Political Stew here.
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Re: Manch megathread - protest

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:28 pm

You just need one more then.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:36 pm

Please do me the honours.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:13 pm

It appears the foe making function isn't working again. Mutha likes the attention his foe list generates but can't seem to keep it functional.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 am

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm
Eric is missing the point. Deliberately, I imagine.
Well, there’s a reason we call him Honest Eric.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:41 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:34 am
VinnyD wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm
Eric is missing the point. Deliberately, I imagine.
Well, there’s a reason we call him Honest Eric.
Please fix the foe function.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:00 am

Back during the periods of time when Stephen_Daedalus was making a half a dozen or more drunken obnoxious posts several nights/week, had the mods thought of the idea of consolidating them like they do with Manch's, I'd have been all in favour.

If he goes back to doing that, I'll suggest it.

But he hasn't been doing that for a long time.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:10 am

Well I wouldn’t.

I’m not going to get drawn in again to naming posters who I find more irritating. Suffice it to say that there are some who I do find much more irritating - and whose interjections into other people’s threads I find more irritating than OPs that can easily be scrolled past.

But I’m not asking for everyone i find annoying to be banned or to have their usage of th board restricted. Nor do I think that my views on what is irritating must align with everyone else’s.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:21 am

So the people who irritate you spam the whole board, Matt? Even with the amalgamation thread, last night there were a further nine threads that were Manch's. I'm going to guess that without the amalgamation thread, half the threads would be his.
ETA that at this point, six out of the first twelve threads on the board are his. And I think it's 12 on the first page (plus the amalgamation)

Personally I'd like to be able to foe whole threads, or have Manch given his own branch, so that the those who want to engage can, and the rest of us can get back to the board operating normally. I suspect that Manch would wow like having his own domain.

It bothers me that we are losing interesting and valued posters while this is going on. Is Manch's right to spam worth that?
Pass the wine...

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm

oh my, just scroll on by, its not that difficult.
Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 pm

matt_melb wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:10 am
Suffice it to say that there are some who I do find much more irritating - and whose interjections into other people’s threads I find more irritating than OPs that can easily be scrolled past.
OK. But there is a solution to your problem: the foe function. What that does is hide those interjections into other people's threads. You can choose to use the function or not. But for people whose irritation is caused by frequent threads rather than frequent interjections, there is no solution built into this platform. So the mods help by consolidating the threads.

Why can't you let this go? Why does this seem to be an insult of monumental proportions to you?

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 pm

Why should I let it go? As you can see from the Euro Mod thread and various others, there are a number of other people who think that those who are bothered should just scroll on past. I’m far from the only one.

You seem to be trying to imply that I am the only one who wants Manch’s threads left alone like everyone else’s. I’m not.

There are also, obviously, a number of people who want to respond to Manch’s threads. If there weren’t, they would quickly sink off the first page.

What I am letting go is the comparatively trivial things that bother me. The people who are wound up by too many Manch threads should do the same.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:03 am

Post.
I am Stalking you.

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:02 am

We need serious moderation. MODS! BRING BACK ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:55 am

cuchulainn wrote:We need serious moderation. MODS! BRING BACK ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!!
tbh he couldnt be worse than recent attempts at moderation

Sent from my batphone

Nines to Felix: "I know a lot of really successful lawyers. My oldest son is a full partner in a prestigious law firm. I know the gig. None of them have the time nor inclination to post the never-ending drivel like you've done for decades here"

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 am

BTW who is 'wayne wankstain'?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:57 pm

Scrubb wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:00 am
Back during the periods of time when Stephen_Daedalus was making a half a dozen or more drunken obnoxious posts several nights/week, had the mods thought of the idea of consolidating them like they do with Manch's, I'd have been all in favour.

If he goes back to doing that, I'll suggest it.

But he hasn't been doing that for a long time.
Oh do fuck off carrot top.

You're one of those "earnest" dullsville posters I definitely have no problem with scrolling past

TL/DR

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:47 pm

Sorry, just answering one of Matt's points.

And yeah, I"ve been pretty dull lately, it's true.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 pm

I was at least hoping for a mini-fight.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 pm

Seems like a good time to merge this thread into the megathread?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Sure why not? It's not like you're going to address any concerns raised here.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm

I think a merge would address them quite nicely

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:50 pm

Eric, this maybe a non official interview.

Think wisely.

And turn down the confrontational dial one notch

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:55 pm

Perhaps you could create a branch for eReich and Mutt in Melb to whinge about the mods. Manch could moderate. The Shit Filled Palliative Bed Branch. Could be a winner.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:05 pm

muthafunky wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 pm
Seems like a good time to merge this thread into the megathread?
I suggested that back on the first page.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:07 am

Sorry, I didn't read the thread.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 am

You haven’t missed much.

The OP is excellent, as are the posts agreeing with it. Most of the rest is drivel.

I’ve been surprised to learn how many people read Sound Off. I naively thought it was a sensible place to state my position about a matter of board administration, so the mods would know there was more than one view, without taking up too much bandwidth.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 am

Lol

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm

mutt_melb wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:12 am
I naively thought it was a sensible place to state my position about a matter of board administration, so the mods would know there was more than one view, without taking up too much bandwidth.
Yeah, but you're kind of a fucking idiotic rube. Have you come around to admitting that those two Russian assassins weren't just tooling around Salisbury as ordinary tourists yet?
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 pm

matt, as Manch's friend, what are you doing about his public self-destruction?
I am Stalking you.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:28 pm

He's having a larf at the stupid Merkin doing the killself.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:48 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:39 pm
mutt_melb wrote:
I naively thought it was a sensible place to state my position about a matter of board administration, so the mods would know there was more than one view, without taking up too much bandwidth.
Yeah, but you're kind of a fucking idiotic rube. Have you come around to admitting that those two Russian assassins weren't just tooling around Salisbury as ordinary tourists yet?
I’m repeating myself; but my position is the same as before. I don’t have a definitive view; often in my job, it’s my responsibility to weigh things up and come to one; I’m enjoying the luxury of not having to do that; and I’m enjoying entertaining several ‘what ifs’, some of which differ from both the Russian and British official positions.

The one point I have consistently been arguing is that the story, whether it’s real or confected, is plausible; and that the Brits who are saying things like ‘no foreigner would think Salisbury worth visiting’ and ‘no-one would make a day trip from London as far as Salisbury’ have their heads up their ‘asses’ (to put it in language you might understand).
Last edited by matt_melb on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 pm

AntiFelix wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:52 pm
As I’ve said before, Felix, it distresses me greatly but I am out of my depth in trying to solve it.

I wish he would get medical help.

I can’t see any argument, though, that restricting his access here would help, and I don’t think anyone is seriously contending that. There might have been a time when stepping away from the computer resulted in Manch drinking less; I don’t believe that is so now.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Mutt wrote:The one point I have consistently been arguing is that the story, whether it’s real or confected, is plausible; and that the Brits who are saying things like ‘no foreigner would think Salisbury worth visiting’ and ‘no-one would make a day trip from London as far as Salisbury’ have their heads up their ‘asses’ (to put it in language you might understand).
Yep, you're a naive idiot. This is the stuff that a partnership in a Straylian law firm is made of? Holy shit.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:07 pm

matt_melb wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 pm
AntiFelix wrote:
As I’ve said before, Felix, it distresses me greatly but I am out of my depth in trying to solve it.

I can’t see any argument, though, that restricting his access here would help, and I don’t think anyone is seriously contending that. There might have been a time when stepping away from the computer resulted in Manch drinking less; I don’t believe that is so now.
Maybe you should say that publicly. He's being very public about his self-inflicted demise. Many of us have urged this for him - hearing it from a friend on his public platform might ring a bell for him. It would certainly be more useful than running interference for his had behavior. Dude's going to he dead, sooner rather than later, if he doesn't change course.
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:16 pm

matt_melb wrote:
You haven’t missed much.

The OP is excellent, as are the posts agreeing with it. Most of the rest is drivel.

I’ve been surprised to learn how many people read Sound Off. I naively thought it was a sensible place to state my position about a matter of board administration, so the mods would know there was more than one view, without taking up too much bandwidth.
Mutha has long dismissed the views of posters who don't fawn all over him, telling him how great he is. I thought you should know.

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:29 pm

matt_melb wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:51 pm
AntiFelix wrote:

I hereby seriously contend that restricting his access here would help.
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

shilgia
Stew Ingredient

Post by shilgia » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:39 pm

And I seriously contend that there is no restriction of access here. Manch can still do whatever he wants. Post in other people's threads, post in his own threads. The only change is that when he floods the board with multiple new threads in short succession, those get swept into a megathread and the discussion can continue there. That's not a restriction of access; it's just housekeeping.

(For the record, I still have no strong opinion on whether Manch's posts should or shouldn't be consolidated. I really don't care either way. I just don't see how sweeping Manch's numerous threads into one thread is some kind of abuse of his human rights.)

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm

It's treating him differently than any other poster who is permitted to post here. Which is pretty extraordinary that it took, what, 12 years before this occurred. I think it's pretty arrogant to presume that we know one way or the other whether posting here hurts, harms or does nothing either way for him.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:44 pm

Et tu Caesar? (Meant towards Ben)

I'm not on here any more or less than than the rest of you lately.

I do no harm and don' attack unles I'm attacked and like I said, if the mods want to just tell me how many threads and posts per day they think is acceptable I'll follow their guidelines.
Ritalin Brightens Your Day!

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:53 pm

I don't think this place is good for you. I know my way around my own self-destructive behaviour, and I see a lot of it in the way you post here. So yeah, et me, if you like.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:59 pm

I didn't realize you had a drinks issue.

Where are you located now?

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Post by ben_hanscombe » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:04 pm

About twenty yards from the Pacific coast of Japan.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 pm

OK. Crap. I was hoping you might still be UK based. I really would like to meet you some day.

I know many claim that people with booze issues should not meet but I think there is some value to it. You may have some bit of wisdom that I could use.

Feel free to speak your mind to me. I do respect what you say.

Just from previous postings I can tell you want to help and I'm open to that.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:35 pm

ManchVegas wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:18 pm

I know many claim that people with booze issues should not meet but I think there is some value to it. You may have some bit of wisdom that I could use.

Feel free to speak your mind to me. I do respect what you say.

Just from previous postings I can tell you want to help and I'm open to that.
You've been completely unreceptive to wisdom from people with booze issues on the Stew.
I am Stalking you.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:55 pm

No. Not really.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:57 pm

Absolutely you have been. You aren't interested in anything that doesn't validate you nonadherence to the Sinclair Method.
I am Stalking you.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:05 pm

You can't keep drinking at all, manch. I think you know that.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:03 pm

That MIGHT have to become my reality Chip.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Post by matt_melb » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:37 pm

But surely you don’t want to keep drinking, Manch. It must by now have lost all pleasure it ever had.

Your mother and your sister want you to get proper medical help. You should.

ManchVegas
Stew Ingredient

Post by ManchVegas » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:46 am

Thanks Matt. Yes. To a certain degree the pleasure from booze is gone. It causes me only grief right now.

I would fucking love to banish it.

BUT it's not that easy.

Not to put myself down or diminish myself, but people like you and Cummy for example, you don't have first hand addiction experience. Therefore you will never know what I'm going through.

I do appreciate your concern though and encourage the dialogue. It's like anything else in life. Just knowing there's someone else out there that gives a shit about me is amazing. AND I'm also here for you too. Not that I have much to give right now but you never know. Maybe I can give you that tidbit of information at some point that could be helpful to you or a family member.