Time for a Mods election?

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Re: Time for a Mods election?

Post by muthafunky » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:12 am

I think it is, because it's impossible for people who are not mods to implement new ideas.

Regular posters came up with ideas for the IP forum, the US Election forum, modifications to the board software (hide an avatar and others), and more and somehow those were implemented. We don't need a "mod election" for people to come up with ideas that can be implemented.

Given the board has some strongly reactionary posters who will fight tooth and nail against any idea, regardless of its merits, I think it's also important that everyone knows whose ideas are being presented, and why, and that everyone has input about whether they like the ideas or not.

If you have ideas post them in Sound Off, which is what that forum is meant for.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:28 am

With things like technical features, I agree with your approach.

But given much of what I am thinking about are ideas to attract new posters, raise the level of discussion in the Politics branch and generally give the place a major shot in the arm, they are not ideas that fit easily into 1 or 2 lines in Sound Off. They really need to be discussed between a group of people who all agree with at least the basic concept of those improvements. They could then refine those ideas, and present them to the board for discussion and/or voting.

Of course I realise there are 3 or 4 posters who will tooth and nail against any changes, and who will devote a lot of time and energy to spamming any thread which raises the issues. As evidenced by the thread.
I don't think that necessarily means the majority of the board are opposed to at least hearing about new ideas, nor that the majority of the board wouldn't welcome new members and wouldn't prefer that at least the occasional thread in politics discussed something other than whether Germans are Nazis.
Ian's English language error of the week: "That's why it wreaks of desperation"

foolsprogress
Stew Ingredient

Post by foolsprogress » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:17 am

My 2 cents: I'm against it. The mods are doing just fine. No need for a new election.
Let me live in a house by the side of the road...

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:30 am

Of course I realise there are 3 or 4 posters who will tooth and nail against any changes, and who will devote a lot of time and energy to spamming any thread which raises the issues. As evidenced by the thread.

actually, there are about 20 posters who responded to this thread, and none of them supported your idea, not even your buddy sandrat

but feel free to keep pretending you are representing the silent majority in your "non personal suggestion to improve this forum"

I don't think that necessarily means the majority of the board are opposed to at least hearing about new ideas, nor that the majority of the board wouldn't welcome new members and wouldn't prefer that at least the occasional thread in politics discussed something other than whether Germans are Nazis.

nobody ever said anything otherwise, thank you for stating the obvious

as muthafunky said, anyone is welcome to put forward their ideas for the rest of the posters to comment on
you put forward your "non personal suggestion to improve this forum" and ALL of the posters responded said no

but don't let us stop you from beating this dead horse over and over.....

But given much of what I am thinking about are ideas to attract new posters, raise the level of discussion in the Politics branch and generally give the place a major shot in the arm, they are not ideas that fit easily into 1 or 2 lines in Sound Off.

how about put your "ideas" in 3 or 4 paragraphs, if you actually have anything concrete other than "tph is too mean to be a mod"?

despite what you think of the rest of us, most of us actually can read beyond the 2nd grade level

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:51 am

what I am reading into Soda's posts, is that he has no ideas o his own. he wants others to do the and grunt work and create the new ideas. Then he will come back and crtique the work of others.
I have to say that this is one of Soda's most eleaborate personal attack thread on another poster. Kudos
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:57 am

polardude1 wrote:what I am reading into Soda's posts, is that he has no ideas o his own. he wants others to do the and grunt work and create the new ideas. Then he will come back and crtique the work of others.

That is quite an interpretation, Dude - I'd love to hear your take on 'Lord of the Flies.

As I've mentioned earlier, I have got a few ideas that seem to work on other forums, and that I think would give the Stew a shot in the arm - particularly in regard to helping raise the level of debate in Politics out of the sandpit.

I wonder why tph and Dude would be so bitterly opposed to that- even before they have heard the ideas...

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:08 pm

You have yet to even float those ideas. As has been ointed out by Mutha, yo could have floated them on "Sound Off" But this thread clearly came about immedicatly after youstarted feuding with TPH and directly relates to another thread yiou intiated about blocking cerain mods.

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:19 pm

tph24601 wrote:as muthafunky said, anyone is welcome to put forward their ideas for the rest of the posters to comment on......how about put your "ideas" in 3 or 4 paragraphs, if you actually have anything concrete other than "tph is too mean to be a mod"?

soda 3.0 wrote:I have got a few ideas that seem to work on other forums, and that I think would give the Stew a shot in the arm - particularly in regard to helping raise the level of debate in Politics out of the sandpit.

I wonder why tph and Dude would be so bitterly opposed to that- even before they have heard the ideas...

speaking of not posting dishonestly and raise the level of debate, are you really this desperate for attention?

as I (and many others) said before, you have some ideas, post it for the rest of the group to comment

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:34 pm

polardude1 wrote:You have yet to even float those ideas. As has been ointed out by Mutha, yo could have floated them on "Sound Off" But this thread clearly came about immedicatly after youstarted feuding with TPH and directly relates to another thread yiou intiated about blocking cerain mods.

a brief history and summary:

in another thread

soda: tph, you are too mean to me, I am going to ignore you from now on!
toytone: tph is a mod and you can't put him on ignore
soda: that's so unfair!

a few mins later, this thread is created

soda: I think we need a mod election, nothing personal against all the mods, it's that I have some other fantastic ideas that will improve this forum
polar: this is just an attack thread
tph: clearly, but let's hear what soda has to say
mutha: we don't need an election, go ahead and post your suggestions
(15 other posters): no need for election

soda: we need an election for new mods to carry out my fantastic ideas!
tph: people already said no to the election proposal, why don't you tell us your ideas anyway?
soda: why are you all oppposed to my wonderful ideas, even before I tell you what they are?

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:40 pm

Dude -

Try and focus. You spend 23 hours a day in this place - why not have it work well?

New posters, new ideas, new features - what exactly is about that which upsets you most?

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:42 pm

My guess tatthsi was all done by Soda within an hour at most but i can't be bothered to confirm it. It is juts another example of Soda's passive aggressive behavior or just his way of projecting his displeasure with TPH on the whole Mod staff

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 pm

polardude1 wrote:My guess tatthsi was all done by Soda within an hour at most but i can't be bothered to confirm it. It is juts another example of Soda's passive aggressive behavior or just his way of projecting his displeasure with TPH on the whole Mod staff

I normally love a good meltdown, but two at once is excessive.

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:46 pm

polardude1 wrote:My guess tatthsi was all done by Soda within an hour at most but i can't be bothered to confirm it. It is juts another example of Soda's passive aggressive behavior or just his way of projecting his displeasure with TPH on the whole Mod staff

within an hour is a good guess....

http://s270114120.onlinehome.us/bb/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=78518&hilit=toytone&start=50&sid=33c153e3b8dc3f44d8539d7eb6ff2534

1:28pm - soda realised I am a mod in the link above
2:11pm - soda created this "suggestion to improve the board by mod election" thread

pretty funny soda can't even wait a day or 2 to make this attack less obvious......

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:49 pm

At at 1:29 PM Soda complained about bengg ale to block a Mod

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=78575

Can this be a new episode of "24"? :lol:

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:52 pm

I don't think the board has seen desperation like this since Dude discovered other posters had spellcheck.

Although I have to say, as a demonstration of 'how to spam', this thread has few equals.

Perhaps when you've finished melting down, we can get back to seeing if anyone has ideas on how the Stew might attract some new posters.

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:53 pm

yes, let's.....
tph24601 wrote:
tph24601 wrote:as muthafunky said, anyone is welcome to put forward their ideas for the rest of the posters to comment on......how about put your "ideas" in 3 or 4 paragraphs, if you actually have anything concrete other than "tph is too mean to be a mod"?

soda 3.0 wrote:I have got a few ideas that seem to work on other forums, and that I think would give the Stew a shot in the arm - particularly in regard to helping raise the level of debate in Politics out of the sandpit.

speaking of not posting dishonestly and raise the level of debate, are you really this desperate for attention?

as I (and many others) said before, you have some ideas, post it for the rest of the group to comment

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:55 pm

I say this will hit 200 posts, but I suspect 90% from now on will be occupied by tph's exploding cranium.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:57 pm

Warning , another attack post by Soda. Evasive measures have been taken,

Perhaps when you've finished melting down,

Soda, please please please. This is your own meltdown thread. Coming off a great African adventure, it is way to early for you to experience this terrible disorder. To use a hockey term, I think you scored a hat trick by melting down on 3 threads within an hour

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:01 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:I say this will hit 200 posts, but I suspect 90% from now on will be occupied by tph's exploding cranium.

I thought you want to get back to "ideas on how the Stew might attract some new posters."?
we eagerly await your input....

Ian_in_DC
Evil Overlord

Post by Ian_in_DC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:06 pm

So Soda, what are your great epiphanies to improve this place? You've banged on and on about having a few "ideas" (I'm using that term loosely) but have yet to post them.

Ever heard the expression "put up or shut up" before?
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:23 pm

Ian_in_DC wrote:So Soda, what are your great epiphanies to improve this place? You've banged on and on about having a few "ideas" (I'm using that term loosely) but have yet to post them.

Ever heard the expression "put up or shut up" before?

I'm not sure you are using the term 'epiphany' correctly, Ian. An epiphany is like a vision or revelation - it isn't a synonym for 'idea'.

But yes, I do have a few ideas, and hopefully we can figure out a way of getting a few people around a (virtual) table to iron them out a bit, and hopefully hear ideas from a few other people as well. It's funny, most of the people on this thread spend a lot more time in this place than I do, but seem a lot less interested in coming up with ideas for the place. For fairly obvious reasons I'm not going to interrupt tph's spamfest and put them here.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 pm

But yes, I do have a few ideas, and hopefully we can figure out a way of getting a few people around a (virtual) table to iron them out a bit, and hopefully hear ideas from a few other people as well

Can we cal it the Moldova Summit?

Geece
Scratty Peasant

Post by Geece » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:29 pm

Soda already has posted ideas for Stew you people arent smart enough to see it stop feuding make the worl da better place agree with Soda

AnnieOakley
stewed

Post by AnnieOakley » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:37 pm

I'd like to buy the world a Coke.
You meet the same folks on the way up as you do on the way down.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:46 pm

"Can't we al just get along?"
-Rodney King

Ian_in_DC
Evil Overlord

Post by Ian_in_DC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Well Soda, we are all waiting with bated breath to read your insightful and introspective suggestions for improving PS. So far, your OP on this topic in Sound Off has been conspicuously absent.

I repeat again for the peanut gallery: PUT UP OR SHUT UP.
"You are the son of an incestuous union." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0Bst6OXEUg

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 pm

dude -

Did you ever explain quite WHY you don't want new posters?

Ian -

You don't seem to have answered the question. What do you think about trying to get some new posters, trying some new ideas etc?

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:50 pm

Did you ever explain quite WHY you don't want new posters

I will after yow sho me where I suggested that I don't want new posters.

Ian_in_DC
Evil Overlord

Post by Ian_in_DC » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:54 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:You don't seem to have answered the question. What do you think about trying to get some new posters, trying some new ideas etc?

Well what is your business plan for getting these new posters and ideas, Soda? We are all ears, anxiously awaiting your recommendations.

PUT UP OR SHUT UP.

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:56 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:But yes, I do have a few ideas, and hopefully we can figure out a way of getting a few people around a (virtual) table to iron them out a bit, and hopefully hear ideas from a few other people as well. It's funny, most of the people on this thread spend a lot more time in this place than I do, but seem a lot less interested in coming up with ideas for the place. For fairly obvious reasons I'm not going to interrupt tph's spamfest and put them here.

so you keep saying you have these wonderful ideas, but yet you won't share.....

don't keep teasing us, please tell us those ideas of yours
assuming you actually have any

put it here, or a new thread, we don't mind

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:57 pm

AnnieOakley wrote:I'd like to buy the world a Coke.

I want a Pepsi

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:59 pm

Ian -

Try and focus. I know it's hard when you're strabismic with loneliness and desperate rage, but I'm sure you can do it.

Do you think the board would benefit from new posters, new ideas, and a bit of an all over freshen up?

Because if, like dude and tph, you'd rather eat your own shit than see a new poster log on, there's not much point my presenting ideas, is there?

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:01 pm

I would like to hear your ideas, soda.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:02 pm

northern_goddess wrote:I would like to hear your ideas, soda.

Thank you, NG, I'll PM you an idea or two during the next couple of days.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:03 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
I would like to hear your ideas, soda.

Thank you, NG, I'll PM you an idea or two during the next couple of days
Why don't you post them for all of us to see?

Geece
Scratty Peasant

Post by Geece » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:04 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:
northern_goddess wrote:I would like to hear your ideas, soda.

Thank you, NG, I'll PM you an idea or two during the next couple of days.

Me too. I will be your implmentationer.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Geece wrote:Me too. I will be your implmentationer.

Shall I PM Bandra directly, or are you pretending to be someone else?

joeyramone
Stew Ingredient

Post by joeyramone » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:

Really? ANY changes? and who would they be, Sodaboy?
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

Geece
Scratty Peasant

Post by Geece » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:07 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:
Geece wrote:Me too. I will be your implmentationer.

Shall I PM Bandra directly, or are you pretending to be someone else?

Message Wilster to. And tph. You will devastation them with sugestion.

tph24601
Stew Ingredient

Post by tph24601 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Summary (updated):

in another thread
soda: tph, you are too mean to me, I am going to ignore you from now on!
toytone: tph is a mod and you can't put him on ignore
soda: that's so unfair!

40 mins later, this thread is created
soda: I think we need a mod election, nothing personal against all the mods, it's that I have some other fantastic ideas that will improve this forum
polar: this is just an attack thread
tph: clearly, but let's hear what soda has to say
mutha: we don't need an election, go ahead and post your suggestions
(15 other posters): no need for election

soda: why aren't you guys smart enough to see that we need new mods to discuss my fantastic ideas?
tph: people already said no to the election proposal, why don't you tell us your ideas anyway?
soda: why are you all oppposed to my wonderful ideas, even before I tell you what they are?

(numerous posters): so tell us your ideas
soda: why are you opposed to having new posters? because of your spamming I am just not going to post them at all, take that!

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:10 pm

joeyramone wrote:Really? ANY changes? and who would they be, Sodaboy?

Well correct me if I'm wrong, Joey, but as far as I can tell yourself, Dude and tph are about as interested in new ideas for the forum as you are of trying out a DIY trepanning kit.

I assume this because you are small minded, and not smart enough to see that you might actually benefit from the changes yourself. If there's another reason, I'd be curious to hear.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Why keep your ideas a secret? One woud thik that those ideas woud be floated in front of al of us posters to allow a Democratic discussion. Are you plotting a coup? i know a poster who can use a stolen crdit card to overthrow the board.

joeyramone
Stew Ingredient

Post by joeyramone » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:23 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:
joeyramone wrote:Really? ANY changes? and who would they be, Sodaboy?

Well correct me if I'm wrong, Joey, but as far as I can tell yourself, Dude and tph are about as interested in new ideas for the forum as you are of trying out a DIY trepanning kit.

I assume this because you are small minded, and not smart enough to see that you might actually benefit from the changes yourself. If there's another reason, I'd be curious to hear.

No, you didn't enfed your statement that we'd be against any change. For starters, I think that this place would ebenfit by a dailylimit of posts by freelance Sambodian writers who are basically empty vessels.

So, we're all ears for your new ideas, but of course you don't have any.

Yeah, I'm interested in ideas to change this place, hut only good and useful ones, not you blowing smoke out of your ass.
"Your fairy tale would sound better if two elves came out and did the Safety Dance at the end." Logg to Zaffer

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Dude -

Again, can you explain quite why it is you are so bitterly opposed to the idea of new posters?

Of course, I'm assuming you are not attacking my ideas by rote, simply out of small minded defensiveness, paint-by-numbers feuding and ignorance.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:29 pm

Joey -

You are against change. We know this. You've posted on this thread 8 or 10 times and each time strongly opposing any new ideas or new posters.

As I said to dude, that is either out of simplistic "I blast anything soda says" myopia and ignorance, or there is another reason. What is it?

joeyramone
Stew Ingredient

Post by joeyramone » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:32 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:Joey -

You are against change. We know this. You've posted on this thread 8 or 10 times and each time strongly opposing any new ideas or new posters.

As I said to dude, that is either out of simplistic "I blast anything soda says" myopia and ignorance, or there is another reason. What is it?

Please c &P where it shows that I am STRONGLY opposed to ANY new ideas or posters "8 or 10 times".

I'm waiting for this one, I see the whole vendetta you have against tph is spinning out of control and that you're trying to save face, but it's not working.

And you still haven't come up with an idea, let alone a good one.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Please c &P where it shows that I am STRONGLY opposed to ANY new ideas or posters "8 or 10 times".

JR
Take a number! Soda is yet to post a quote from me where I oppose accepting new posters. What the hell is this. Soda, do yo lie making thing up and posting them as facts.

I think this thread is heading into tothe rhelm of a classic.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:38 pm

Joey -

I was totally out of line, I apologise. You have actually posted 15 times on this thread, not 8 times.

Having read those 15 posts, I don't think there is any question that you absolutely oppose any change, and have no interest in new ideas or attracting new posters to the site.

I can't tell you how shocked I am that the three of you would reach with paint-by-numbers feuding and small mindedness, rather than actually step back and consider whether maybe the place could you a few new faces and a few fresh ideas.

I'm kidding, of course - you guys really are as predictable as silage.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:44 pm

Dude, Joey -

To save me merely reposting your spamming - go back and read your comments yourselves.

If you find anything except rote attacks and spamming, get back to me. I'm especially interested in hearing about posts where you mention your own ideas for the forum, or talk about new posters coming in to liven things up.

Come on guys - you can quite the charade. You know and I know that you guys will simply attack by rote anything I post. You won't think about it for a millisecond, and you certainly won't get as far as considering whether maybe you would actually enjoy the place being a bit more active. This, gentlemen, is what we call small mindedness.

Geece
Scratty Peasant

Post by Geece » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:47 pm

JUST L;EAVE SODA ALONE!! ALL YOU PEOPL DO IS TAKE TAKE TAKE ALL SODA DO IS GIVE GIVE GIVE.

LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!!