Stew Ingredient

Re: Traveling Luggage

Post by avalon_ » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 pm

100!

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:54 pm

I couldn't travel anywhere with just carry on bags. Not even a 3 day trip to Calgary. I have too many hair appliances and shoes. They seem to let you travel here now with contact lense solution (over the small liquid limit) in carry-on. I'm not sure if this has caught on in all airports or outside of Canuckistan.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Espina
Wanted: Dead or Alive

Post by Espina » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:55 pm

this is Luggage 101... Okay luggage 102 (the advanced course...)

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:59 pm

Small backpack. 45 litre.

thoughtpolice
Stew Ingredient

Post by thoughtpolice » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:16 am

I was the first white man to ascend K2 while pulling a wheelie bag.
Snow tires, of course.

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:18 am

I think we should start posting pictures of our actual luggage, not the web catalog models.

Piel!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Piel! » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:30 am

Fred Garvin wrote:98 replies to a luggage thread.

Phenomenal.

This is not a luggage thread.

It's a traveler v tourist thread.

The nature people shit on the beach.
The Blowkiest Bloek in the whole of Bleakdom

bark brak! bark barack karp! bark!

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:33 am

flatfoot wrote:I think we should start posting pictures of our actual luggage, not the web catalog models.

This comment is directed at me, isn't it?!!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:34 am

Good idea!

3 weeks in Europe:

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:45 am

Darn it, I don't have a single one!

Cute sack, avalon. :mrgreen:

Harry Chorpita
Stew Ingredient

Post by Harry Chorpita » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:46 am

The Bad News-I have seen this kind of thread go on for months on other travel sites.

Good News-there is none. :roll:

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:20 am

avalon_ wrote:Good idea!

3 weeks in Europe:

Kinda similar to my six weeks in Europe. I had a bigger daypack and one rolling Tumi which I recently retired due to it having a design flaw (pull handle sticks out too much when inside the bag - bad for overhead stowage) that a flight attendant actually said snarky things about. Fucker. Of course this was an excuse to buy new luggage!!!1!!1!1!
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:22 am

You guys look like tourists, not travellers.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:42 am

In an autorickshaw: My Victorinox rolling backpack's on the left.

Shari heading from houseboat to state bus (verily low-class) in Alleppey - she has a less expensive rolling backpack/daypack combo
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:56 am

northern_goddess wrote:I couldn't travel anywhere with just carry on bags. Not even a 3 day trip to Calgary. I have too many hair appliances and shoes. They seem to let you travel here now with contact lense solution (over the small liquid limit) in carry-on. I'm not sure if this has caught on in all airports or outside of Canuckistan.

Huh? You can't do a three day weekend with a 22" wheeled luggage?
How many pairs of shoes do you pack?
You know,hair products come in travel sizes
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:09 am

Yah, but I have a ceramic flat iron, a curling iron, a special blow dryer and my favourite brush... along with running shoes, walking heels and work heels.... and I'm usually putting files and binders in my suitcase anyway because I don't want to have the weight in my carry-on laptop bag.

I gots stuff!!

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:22 am

You'd knock out all the power in the entire country of Bhutan with that stuff!

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 am

That reminds me.... I also have my extension cord, power adapter and travel mirror.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:54 am

I prefer backpacks and only like the wheelies on the huge bags I always check. If you were to have a wheelie bag and get trapped in a monsoon, there are these little strap things called 'handles' that allow the user to manipulate where the bag is located on the vertical axis. By lifting the bag away from the surface of the water, you can keep it from getting wet until you are on dry ground. While I generally agree with Soda on his choice of bags, it's unclear to me why he spends so much of his holidays standing in sewage.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:01 am

post o'de'day
:lol:

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:14 am

And of course, I can't forget my Splenda, corkscrew, phone charger, computer cords, hand and body lotion, and suntan lotion (if needed).

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:15 am

section8 wrote:I prefer backpacks and only like the wheelies on the huge bags I always check. If you were to have a wheelie bag and get trapped in a monsoon, there are these little strap things called 'handles' that allow the user to manipulate where the bag is located on the vertical axis. By lifting the bag away from the surface of the water, you can keep it from getting wet until you are on dry ground. While I generally agree with Soda on his choice of bags, it's unclear to me why he spends so much of his holidays standing in sewage.

Hah!!!!!!!
But more importantly why is knee-deep monsoon rain and mud? considered the integral part of a vacation? :shock:

Man,N-G you are certainly high maintenance
You can always count on Americans to do the right thing - after they've tried everything else.

Winston Churchill

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 am

You don't know the half of it, judik.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:25 am

judik wrote:
section8 wrote:I prefer backpacks and only like the wheelies on the huge bags I always check. If you were to have a wheelie bag and get trapped in a monsoon, there are these little strap things called 'handles' that allow the user to manipulate where the bag is located on the vertical axis. By lifting the bag away from the surface of the water, you can keep it from getting wet until you are on dry ground. While I generally agree with Soda on his choice of bags, it's unclear to me why he spends so much of his holidays standing in sewage.

Hah!!!!!!!
But more importantly why is knee-deep monsoon rain and mud? considered the integral part of a vacation? :shock:

Ha-Ha!! I don't know about other big Asian-fans, but I've had this 2 or 3 times - the monsoon rains pour down, the drains block, and suddenly the streets are literally knee deep in shit. I remember being in Dhaka when it was thigh-deep - and it was really hard to walk anyway for fear of disappearing down some huge hole invisible beneath the shit-coloured water. I've also had it in Bangkok and Saigon.

Anyone with a wheelie bag must really suffer in the monsoon rains.
Ian's English language error of the week: "That's why it wreaks of desperation"

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:26 am

soda 3.0 wrote:Anyone with a wheelie bag must really suffer in the monsoon rains.

No, we use them as life rafts.

judik
Stew Ingredient

Post by judik » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:28 am

N_G-You need to get a better carryon.I took 6 pairs of sandals in mine
However i only had one hairdryer and travel sized hair products

soda- why would you choose to travel during the monsoon?

Winston Churchill

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:32 am

judik wrote:N_G-You need to get a better carryon.I took 6 pairs of sandals in mine
However i only had one hairdryer and travel sized hair products

soda- why would you choose to travel during the monsoon?

In Dhaka I was on a year long trip, so didn't get much choice. In Saigon and Bangkok I think it was because the place I'd been spending most of my time wasn't having the monsoon at that time of year...given ii hits different areas at different times, it can be hard to avoid sometimes. In Singapore or Sri Lanka the odds of striking heavy rain are about 1:1.

janieblack
Nutty Upside Down Cake

Post by janieblack » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:57 am

I am a backpack girl but honestly... Bhutan is not third world and someone will generally be carrying your luggage for you. You pays the $200/day, you gets good portage!! Thailand is fine with wheelie luggage too except if you are using p/t and hoofing your gear over sandy beaches blahblahblah.

It's all preference though I have to say that I find it hard to imagine using wheelie luggage in many parts of Africa I've been to.

Word of warning about Bhutan and monsoons and poo in the streets... it happens, apparently and I had a beer with a NZ expat who told a great tale of Thimpu storm drains disgorging poo all over her in her first week, causing her accute and premature homesickness.

Should this happen to you, use that "handle" thing someone mentioned to lift the bag out of the pooey water, eh? Better yet, get driver/guide to do that while you carry on in a very loud voice about how "rustic" and FABulous it all is or about how you don't know how "these people" can accept living "like this"!
Having sex in an elevator is wrong on so many levels

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 am

janieblack wrote:I am a backpack girl but honestly... Bhutan is not third world and someone will generally be carrying your luggage for you. You pays the $200/day, you gets good portage!!

Exactly what I meant in my first post. If you don't have a backpack, avalon, and if it's really not your preference for the reasons you've said (back, etc), you'll survive perfectly with a wheelie, or any other type of luggage for that matter.

Come on, what does your heart tell you?

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:07 am

flatfoot wrote:Come on, what does your heart tell you?

Wheeled Backpack!!

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:13 am

I have to be honest. I've done some truly deep soul searching on this issue. I've stayed up countless nights contemplating my options and what's genuinely right for me. Me. My soul. My heart. I've come to the conclusion that I need a lightweight rollie backpack or duffle. There. I said it. It's out there and I can't take it back.

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 am

I hope you realise this is a choice for life. Get this wrong, and your life will pretty much go downhill from here on in.

I know people who have lost everything - husband, kids, job - all by just thinking that just once, just for a short trip, they'd play with a duffle. Just for a few minutes.

Next thing you know they're selling the things to kids.

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:23 am

avalon_ wrote:

I have to be honest. I've done some truly deep soul searching on this issue. I've stayed up countless nights contemplating my options and what's genuinely right for me. Me. My soul. My heart. I've come to the conclusion that I need a lightweight rollie backpack or duffle. There. I said it. It's out there and I can't take it back.

Hurrah for enlightenment! Revelation! Epiphany!

Get a wheeled duffel. My problem with the wheeled backpack is that it's just too...oxymoronic. Something only an Apprentice-losing-project-team-leader Trustafarian would invent. You get a backpack, you stand up for it. Whereas putting wheels on duffel bags is a stroke of genius, like backlit keyboards and Pocky sticks.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:08 am

I must be missing something here. What's the point of putting wheels on a duffel bag. Aren't duffel bags just difficult and awkward? Could someone explain the upside of using a duffel bag (wheeled or otherwise) to me?

flatfoot
Stew Ingredient

Post by flatfoot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:04 am

northern_goddess wrote:I must be missing something here. What's the point of putting wheels on a duffel bag. Aren't duffel bags just difficult and awkward? Could someone explain the upside of using a duffel bag (wheeled or otherwise) to me?

I don't have a non-wheel duffel, so I'll speak of the rolling variety.

I use my wheeled duffel just like you use your wheeled normal luggage – you wheel it most of the time, lifting it when necessary. What I like about it is the duffelness of it – the material and shape are flexible, so you're not rectangularly restricted. You can just squeeze stuff in without needing to rearrange all your other stuff. So it basically affords you the same space efficiency as a backpack (mine has got compartments for boots and other oddly-shaped stuff like a gaggle of cords) – but with more ease of use (not being vertical makes it easy for you to reach stuff) and without the attendant embarrassment when you put wheels in it.

Mind you, I don't have a normal duffel, and I don't think I'd like one. If I had to use non-wheeled luggage, like if I travel to a wheel-hostile terrain, I would use my trusty backpack.

Lime_Pickle
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lime_Pickle » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:07 am

I use a wheeled duffel for longer trips. It's made of soft casing so it's light, easy to manouver over all sorts of terrain and easy to carry, if necessary.
Wibble.

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:29 am

That Victorinox thing looks as if it sticks out behind you too far, so you'd have to lean forwards to balance.
I want my fucking money back

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:10 am

flatfoot wrote:I think we should start posting pictures of our actual luggage, not the web catalog models.

Left hand near horse, rh sack, at the bottom.
Probably.

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 am

How do you wheelie baggers like steps? Or hills?

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:11 pm

CatScanMan wrote:How do you wheelie baggers like steps? Or hills?

I learned key information from our wise, well traveled stewers. Wheelies have HANDLES. I plan to use them when knee deep in sewage and traipsing up steps.
p.s. wheelies roll on hills.

Candy is that Bhutan?

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:32 pm

HANDLES?! WTF are they?!

I think wheelie baggers are so desperate to make an anti-backpacker stand, i.e. to reject the clichéd traveller snobbery, that they're willing to make life harder for themselves.

Might as well wear a 'I'm just a tourist' T-shirt.

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:59 pm

The reason people like wheelie bags is because when need be they always seem to find someone to lug it for them, put it in the trunk of the taxi, carry it around the train, throw it on the boat, carry it forever up the cobble stones to the hotel.......

I swear that everytime i would end up with a female travel partner who had a wheelie, it would end up as my responsibility to move that anchor when it became difficult.

Backpacks are where its at.
One thing thats for certain, one thing thats for sure
The less you want, the more youve got, so dont you cry for more

soda 3.0
Stew Ingredient

Post by soda 3.0 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:01 pm

They don't.

Can you imagine being somewhere cold and hilly and dragging one of them things up a hillside of icy cobble stones?

And snarling when people with packs stop and ask if you need help?

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Haters!

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:39 pm

CatScanMan wrote:HANDLES?! WTF are they?!

I think wheelie baggers are so desperate to make an anti-backpacker stand, i.e. to reject the clichéd traveller snobbery, that they're willing to make life harder for themselves.

Might as well wear a 'I'm just a tourist' T-shirt.

There's an idea for LP ... sell T-shirts that have big letters on the front:

"I AM A TOURIST!"

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:48 pm

The extremists on both sides of this argument are pretty funny. Thanks for the entertaining read.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:03 pm

northern_goddess wrote:Haters!

Diva!
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

candy is dandy but...
Stew Ingredient

Post by candy is dandy but... » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 pm

Yup, that's Bhutan.

equus
Modern Leftits

Post by equus » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:35 pm

soda 3.0 wrote:

They don't.

Can you imagine being somewhere cold and hilly and dragging one of them things up a hillside of icy cobble stones?

And snarling when people with packs stop and ask if you need help?

I've found these things called "taxis" and some times things like really big taxis, called "buses" are quite good in those situations.

For dealing with stairs, I use things called "elevators".
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

goo.gl/5i3gvB

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:41 pm

I've heard that the difference between a 'bus' and a 'taxi' is that you can't choose where the former goes and often there's not one going to your preferred destination within a convenient timespan. Or it could be the other way around. I don't know.