RIP cultureshock

Resurrection of all-time best threads

Moderator: Moderator

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

RIP cultureshock

Post by muthafunky » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:21 pm

Received a PM from q5q that cultureshock passed away about a year ago. No details, but q kept in touch with him outside of this place and heard the news through a friend of cultureshock. I checked and he hasn't been on the Stew for a bit over two years. He'd often disappear from here for long stretches but I don't remember any that long so I guess his passing seems likely. Another sad departure.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: RIP cultureshock

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:34 pm

That sucks.

I called him in November trying to meet up again in AZ, but the number had been disconnected.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Shit, horrible if true. Didn't he live off the grid? How old was he?

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:19 pm

I liked CS a lot, always hoped to meet him one day. I've missed his posts here
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:23 pm

Was he the guy with the RV and dog, living off the grid some of the time (as Baba says)? I liked his posts too and thought he seemed like a character but not an obnoxious one. Very sorry to hear he's gone for good.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

incognita
red fanged She-devil

Post by incognita » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:24 pm

That was him. His dog was named Maggie
As an adult, the beer aisle at the grocery makes me feel exactly like the cereal aisle made me feel as a kid.

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:31 pm

Man. Dropping like flies around here. He was a weird and funny guy. The last post I remember of him was him helping some hitch hiker (s) or maybe it was helping someone who ran out of gas?? He seemed to live the life he wanted. I hope his passing was peaceful.

fuck.

RIP
What matters ain't the "who's baddest," but the ones who stop you fallin' from your ladder. This ain't no place for no hero...

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:Shit, horrible if true. Didn't he live off the grid? How old was he?

If he died a year ago, he was 53.

He was planning to live off the grid in Arizona, in a cave house, but I don't think he ever did. He had two places in New Mexico that were on the grid.

Maggie is a wonder dog. I hope his sister is taking care of her.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:36 pm

His posting style here could annoy me but he struck me as a decent guy. I'm sorry to hear he's gone.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:39 pm

TheRedWoman wrote:Man. Dropping like flies around here. He was a weird and funny guy. The last post I remember of him was him helping some hitch hiker (s) or maybe it was helping someone who ran out of gas?? He seemed to live the life he wanted. I hope his passing was peaceful.

fuck.

RIP

He was not living the life he wanted. The US government ruined his life and future employment opportunities with a chicken shit conviction on marijuana charges, so he was surviving alternatively.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:44 pm

He always left me wanting to hear more: about his GF's, his gemstone and silver show trading biz, his Edward Abby-like life out in the desert, and on and on.

We were semi-pals on the Billet board. I took him to be much older. He seemed like he was OH (orig. hippie).

And now, there is no more to hear.
Last edited by BeatRaven on Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:48 pm

He was a hippie, but too young to be original.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:51 pm

To be that Billy Jack-istic having missed the big countercultural party was an achievement.

I'll bet he had fabulous chunky silver Jewelry. If not, don't tell me.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 pm

Oh, this is so sad. So young! I liked cultch.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:21 pm

Yeah, he was a good dude. The last time he posted here he was planning to sell his stuff to the tourists in Alaska. He had to use the ferry because Canada barred his entry.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

TheRedWoman
Stew Ingredient

Post by TheRedWoman » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:46 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
TheRedWoman wrote:Man. Dropping like flies around here. He was a weird and funny guy. The last post I remember of him was him helping some hitch hiker (s) or maybe it was helping someone who ran out of gas?? He seemed to live the life he wanted. I hope his passing was peaceful.

fuck.

RIP

He was not living the life he wanted. The US government ruined his life and future employment opportunities with a chicken shit conviction on marijuana charges, so he was surviving alternatively.

This isn't the place for a pissing contest. There is a time and place for everything. Let people remember him fondly. He lived the best life he could (despite what you are alleging). He never seemed bitter. Nor vindictive. He made his peace and got on with it on his own terms.
What matters ain't the "who's baddest," but the ones who stop you fallin' from your ladder. This ain't no place for no hero...

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:55 pm

TheRedWoman wrote:
Lost Soul wrote:

fuck.

RIP

This isn't the place for a pissing contest. There is a time and place for everything. Let people remember him fondly. He lived the best life he could (despite what you are alleging). He never seemed bitter. Nor vindictive. He made his peace and got on with it on his own terms.

My apologies for correcting your bollocks.

Also, nothing I've said here prevents anyone from remembering him fondly.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:55 pm

I liked busting his balls now and again, but always enjoyed his posts. He saw things through a bit of a different lens and this little slice of the world was better for it. He also had excellent taste in landscapes. RIP, cultureshock.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:58 pm

He did have a felony drug conviction and he posted about it now and again. It did make aspects of his life more difficult. He was open about it and it re-enforced why I despise the Drug War and think our justice system needs to change so that decent people who screw up don't get hosed for the rest of their lives, even after any and all debts to society have been paid.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:08 pm

You know, if one of the mods could take a break from being completely fucking useless, maybe they could give Geeky a time out for just utterly sucking as a person or at least for his constant graveshitting? Just a thought.

I didn't get along with him, but it sucks that he passed at such an early age. RIP
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:23 pm

This is very sad news.

I always liked cultureshock; he seemed like the last of the backpackers with no 'real job' or comfortable inheritance here. And 'backpacker' is not the most accurate term, because it was his life and not some overseas jaunt.

It seemed like he had an interesting life, and maybe not an easy life; the kind of life that gets harder as you get older, rather than easier.

I didn't usually work the same threads that he did, so wasn't fully updated on all his stories, but I always thought he was an interesting guy and would have loved to meet him and hear his tales. Now that's never gonna happen.

It's nice to hear others' recollections in lieu thereof.

aero
Stew Ingredient

Post by aero » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:41 pm

I am very sorry to hear this. He was definitely a stew character. Despite his many difficulties, he was a very kind person.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:51 pm

rider5 wrote:His posting style here could annoy me but he struck me as a decent guy. I'm sorry to hear he's gone.

Yeah, he had real attention deficit, but he wasn't the type you could get too mad at.

I remember in a thread determining he was the poorest among us, but he seemed okay with making ends meet on little.

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:55 pm

culcha??? good gawd. What happened?? he seemed kind of immortal. Any details mutha? Last time he wandered in he was trying to figure out how to wire electricity in a condo-um-hotel in a desert cave, to be financed by magic rocks. Off the grid peculiar, but I definitely prefer his flavor of wacko conspiracy theories to those of current Beloved Leader. I was wondering what happened to him, and kind of hoping to get his take on current events. Hope pup maggie has been adopted by a new best bud as he would have wanted. I'm going to miss him. Icons just keep dropping off of here. sheesh maybe we should have a proper graveyard like civilized people. with famous quotes and stuff.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:07 pm

No details. Q emailed his sister but hadn't heard back.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm

He definitely was a Stew Character and I enjoyed his stories and his conspiracy theories about chemtrails, among other things. I assumed he was busy getting that mountain hideaway built. I sure hadn't realized that it had been two years since he said he was heading off to do it. He came across as a genuinely nice guy.

Rest in Peace, Cultureshock!
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

erkat
Stew Ingredient

Post by erkat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:51 pm

He came across as an interesting character in his posts.
Sorry to read about his death.

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm

You know, the Cultch really had a voice here cuz he would rile up many; and it seemed to me that was his schtick to some extent. He had a wry sense of humor, again, to an extent. My impression was that he would embellish some of his stories to an extent (again!) because the righteous narrative he often carried just seemed too...well...righteous! I think most of his experiences were true even if a bit provocative to draw some lines in the sand about himself, his lifestyle, and his convictions of this righteousness. I also felt he was a bright guy, just not formally educated post-high skool. Yeah, yeah his education was partly from the road, but I think many had an impression of him and he amplified that for readers here to an extent (no way, again?).

I remember the death of his father weighed on him a bit and remember that he appreciated his sister's part in putting all that is involved to rest. In that respect, he reminded me a little bit of Jono (with his mother). I suspect maybe Culture perhaps took his own life. I did like his flea market stories, the "run-in's" with the "law," helping out a neighbor/friend/stranger, Jerry-rigging things. Who was the Black guy he helped get sorted who was outta Compton or the helL.A. area? I thought his property/cave whatever dream was a bit farfetched, but if anyone could do it, I thought he had the skillset and resourcefulness to do it.

When Ms. Wilster and the kids first moved over, over eleven years ago, we took a SW trip during a February school break to encompass Death Valley, Vegas, the Grand Canyon, Phoenix (to stay with friends), then Thousand Oaks (extended in-law family) before getting back to the SF Bay Area. I reached out to Culture about possibly hooking up somewhere in the area. Our paths weren't going to cross, but he gave me some suggestions on places to see and visit. One of those was Mt. Charleston outside of Vegas. Sure enough, we went up Mt. Charleston in a SNOW STORM. First time the kids from Down-under had been in and seen so much snow. It's was memorable.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:54 pm

It's a beautiful mountain range, and the 8th most prominent peak in the lower 48, with an impressive 8258' drop to the highest saddle connecting it to a higher peak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_prominent_summits_of_the_United_States
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Wilster
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wilster » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:19 am

Lost Soul wrote:It's a beautiful mountain range, and the 8th most prominent peak in the lower 48, with an impressive 8258' drop to the highest saddle connecting it to a higher peak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_most_prominent_summits_of_the_United_States

Culture knew exactly the call where we were coming from Death Valley to Vegas. Of course we could see little in a snow storm (but only on the mountain) and if I remember correctly, the next day was a brilliant one, but we were off to Hoover Dam for the day otherwise we might just have gone back out there again.
Scrubb makes note of my Stew and Thorn Tree posting history: I had no issues with what you said, the problem was that I couldn't figure out what it was (you said).

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:53 am

I liked his posts and had hoped to get high with him.
Alas, sic transit gloria mundi

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:58 am

Very sad. I always wondered what happened to him. RIP Cutch
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

pezworld
Admin's Concubine

Post by pezworld » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 am

Aw man, that's sad. I'd noticed he hadn't checked in for 2 years. We could always count on hearing from him every few months. I liked how he checked in. And we came close to meeting him on our Grand Canyon weekend. Sigh. He was indeed an original, and I miss him. Hope Maggie's OK.
Jesus, you turn your back for one second and the next thing you know, everyone's going all fucking kumbaya and shit around this dump - Moe

CatScanMan
Goat Roper

Post by CatScanMan » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:34 am

Bad news. As far as I'm concerned he was a traveller, an adventurer -- there was no one I'm aware of who was more the spirit of this board. I would've sworn he posted in the last 6 months or so...

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:12 pm

Ach, that's terrible. Another stew character gone. I wasn't aware of the circumstances that got him to where he was, but he always seemed like a good natured guy.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:36 pm

Drag. He was a character with an original voice, one of the first Stew posters that I chatted with off-board. He recently went through a lot of stuff but usually could take care of himself pretty well. Have a feeling there is one more Culture Shock story to be told
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

guvner
Stew Ingredient

Post by guvner » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:55 pm

He seemed like an original from the posts here. I was familiar with the name and may have had some exchanges with him.

RIP.
"The times, they are a changin'."

madmonday
Stew Ingredient

Post by madmonday » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:19 pm

RIP.
Supporter and former member of door kickers Australia

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 pm

Sorry to read this.

StanDeManII
Stew Ingredient

Post by StanDeManII » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:20 am

RIP Cultureshock
Godjira:
Imagine? This cheap ass prick tries to stuff one of his overside dumps down the toilet,then the toilet floods,causing a rain of Stan-Stool beer vomit and water over the elderly couple downstairs.. and then charge for his substandard work.

Potpie
Stew Ingredient

Post by Potpie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:22 am

Oh no

guruwil
vegemite flavored maple syrup

Post by guruwil » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:55 am

Bugger, only just saw this. That's very sad, I have been wondering what happened to him. I really liked him he had stories as good or better than AJ without being an arsehole about it. Batshit crazy on some ways but a real character. We are worse off without the characters for sure. RIP Cultch.
An it harm none, do what ye will

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.
judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!
jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one
“shunter” wrote: I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: Guru is bang on the money here.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Oh my. RIP cultureshock. I used to bust his balls all the time for the wide-eyed credulity he'd give to conspiracy theories, but he was always a good sport about things.
I am Stalking you.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:19 pm

I saw this but was avoiding acknowledging it.

Culture was a great storyteller--one you'd find on the road, at a bar, around a campfire.
He will be sorely missed in the universe (though he's the type that Coyote would make into a constellation, so if rider could check the SW night sky for me, I would appreciate it)

justinian
special sauce

Post by justinian » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:11 pm

We had some common people on the Navajo Res, and we'd figured out we were both at Big Mountain around the same time. We'd send books back and forth, sometimes they'd have a note attached. I still have a leather bound Tom Sawyer that he sent me.

Rest easy, my friend, you were an interesting character.
The HOFF, people! Knight Fuckin' RIDER right in the reclining chair section!! -- nettie

Troll_Handle
Ambivalent Chilli

Post by Troll_Handle » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:43 pm

That's a real shame, I was looking forward to updates about the cave off the grid, cultureshock was interesting to read. I had no idea that was two years ago already (at least). Maggie is a beautiful dog from the photos, I hope somebody is worshipping her as she deserves.

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

Post by WhosieWho » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:02 am

Disappearance of a character, sadly.

His penultimate post was from 12/30/14 discussing plans to be in Congress, Wickenberg, and Surprise AZ. Did he make the Feb. 2015 Tuscon AZ gem show?

Foul play? News?
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 am

I liked him because he didn't pre judge people on their backgrounds, race etc. A person was a person to him and deserving of equal respect. I especially liked the story of the inner city gangbanger he gave a chance to and a job when the dude was looking for a fresh start. Culture shock was a quality guy in my books.

avalon_
Stew Ingredient

Post by avalon_ » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:39 am

What sad news. I didn't realize he was so young. Too young to pass away.

DianaHaddad
Stew Ingredient

Post by DianaHaddad » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:54 am

Such sad news. I had been thinking of him not too long ago.

A million years ago, back on TP on LP, I remember posting about a lightbulb that exploded and broke in its fixture, in my kitchen. He told me to stick a potato in it, and screw the broken part out. I though he was completely insane but I did try it, and it worked. I'll always remember him for that.

(Don't try this at home kids, unless you switch off the circuit breaker first...)
"Suck it, Trebek."