Page 10 of 20

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:20 pm
by LaFawnduh
Scheer could put his boots under my bed anytime!

Oooooh, Eithne you wicked woman.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:22 pm
by eric84
I guess he wanted to make a splash right at the start where he couldn't get interrupted but is there anyone who would be convinced to vote for Scheer because Trudeau is a phony? I can only guess he's trying to keep Liberal supporters at home which has to be a legitimate concern for the Liberals.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:29 pm
by Homerj
Not just that, the numbers are static there is only one advantage we have which is the more motivated base.
Andy didn't give a flying fuck getting the undecided, he played nice with Singh most the night in the hope that Libs will stay home or vote the pull start instead.
It's the Greens who are really starting to tank, not surprising after May's sad performance and her aping along on the idiotic lefty promise parade that of course no one can cost or pay for.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:39 pm
by snowgirl
Homerj wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 pm


Hey brain dead you weren't the target audience, idiot leftards weren't even in his thought process, they're too busy spending other people's money to focus on anything but themselves.
Not in Ontario. We're still trying to figure out how Ford has outspent Wynne since he's been in office. Maybe those anti-carbon tax "stickers" were made of solid gold. It would explain why they don't stick very well.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:44 pm
by Homerj
snowgirl wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:39 pm
Homerj wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:15 pm


Hey brain dead you weren't the target audience, idiot leftards weren't even in his thought process, they're too busy spending other people's money to focus on anything but themselves.
Not in Ontario. We're still trying to figure out how Ford has outspent Wynne since he's been in office. Maybe those anti-carbon tax "stickers" were made of solid gold. It would explain why they don't stick very well.
Keeping idiot unions in line until after the election then when there is nothing to lose...well wait and see....

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 pm
by Homerj
You lefties do love to obsess about a guy who isn't even running man you need to get lives.
I guess when the guy/gal you are voting for is a gigantic fucking hypocrite or has zero chance of winning this is what you cling to?!

I leave the always on the money Rex Murphy to sum up last nights debate in a way much better than I can:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... 44GFW_98E4

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:09 pm
by coffeeguy
Rex Murphy is a partisan hack that keeps employed solely by feeding a steady diet of drivel fodder to the sheep at the post. He’s said nothing of value for a decade. One thing that May was right about - Scheer ain’t going to be prime minister unless there is a big breakthrough in the
Next two weeks. And based on the campaign the cons have run to date - that ain’t happening. It will be a liberal minority with NDP or Greens propping them up. Hate to be Alberta or In the oil industry....trudeau owes them nothing at this point

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:15 pm
by Homerj
coffeeguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:09 pm
Rex Murphy is a partisan hack that keeps employed solely by feeding a steady diet of drivel fodder to the sheep at the post. He’s said nothing of value for a decade. One thing that May was right about - Scheer ain’t going to be prime minister unless there is a big breakthrough in the
Next two weeks. And based on the campaign the cons have run to date - that ain’t happening. It will be a liberal minority with NDP or Greens propping them up. Hate to be Alberta or In the oil industry....trudeau owes them nothing at this point
I disagree. He doesn't need a breakthrough as was evident last night, he just needs enough Liberals to stay home.
Amazing that many will still come out and vote for this turd but there is hope.
I just want everyone to remember when they mark that X that they voted for a guy so morally bankrupt that he let this guy keep running :

https://election.ctvnews.ca/liberals-wo ... 4VXakTlEko

Please take a good long look in the mirror when any of you even dare to suggest you are a "progressive".

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm
by LaFawnduh
Homerj wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 pm
You lefties do love to obsess about a guy who isn't even running man you need to get lives.
I guess when the guy/gal you are voting for is a gigantic fucking hypocrite or has zero chance of winning this is what you cling to?!

I leave the always on the money Rex Murphy to sum up last nights debate in a way much better than I can:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... 44GFW_98E4
Well, if you had any brains you'd know Ford is being brought up as an example of the shit show we'll be enjoying at the Federal level with a weak leader like Scheer as PM with the kooks and far right nutters running wild over him.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 pm
by Homerj
LaFawnduh wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:17 pm
Homerj wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:50 pm
You lefties do love to obsess about a guy who isn't even running man you need to get lives.
I guess when the guy/gal you are voting for is a gigantic fucking hypocrite or has zero chance of winning this is what you cling to?!

I leave the always on the money Rex Murphy to sum up last nights debate in a way much better than I can:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/ ... 44GFW_98E4
Well, if you had any brains you'd know Ford is being brought up as an example of the shit show we'll be enjoying at the Federal level with a weak leader like Scheer as PM with the kooks and far right nutters running wild over him.
Waaaa leftard can't make Scheer into bogeyman so big bad Dougey (who will get reelected btw) needs to be brought up because my widdle mind doesn't function beyond what I'm told is bad.
Adults are talking....

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm
by coffeeguy
Hate to break it to you but people supporting liberals aren’t going to say home. Only people that hate Trudeau are you crazy cons. And you weren’t voting for him anyway. Are you stayed by hone because Scheer is a career politician and misrepresented his CV and he d the fact that he is an American citizen? Because he and your party ran a shit campaign full of recycled failed botuque tax breaks? Didn’t think so. Maybe some undecideds will Stay home , but Scheer needs them to vote for him, otherwise he loses in the swing ridings. Only thing that makes that not happen is if the greens and NDP pick up votes at expense of the liberals to allow the con candidate to slip up the middle and the polls are showing that happening (yet)

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm
by LaFawnduh
You can tell Homer smells a Liberal majority. Like Trump when he's cornered.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm
by Homerj
coffeeguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:25 pm
Hate to break it to you but people supporting liberals aren’t going to say home. Only people that hate Trudeau are you crazy cons. And you weren’t voting for him anyway. Are you stayed by hone because Scheer is a career politician and misrepresented his CV and he d the fact that he is an American citizen? Because he and your party ran a shit campaign full of recycled failed botuque tax breaks? Didn’t think so. Maybe some undecideds will Stay home , but Scheer needs them to vote for him, otherwise he loses in the swing ridings. Only thing that makes that not happen is if the greens and NDP pick up votes at expense of the liberals to allow the con candidate to slip up the middle and the polls are showing that happening (yet)
Our polling shows different....we shall see.
I also notice you immediately dis-regarded Rex's article even though it was just a tretise on the debate and what a shit show it was, there was nary an anti-trudeau mention, but say if your spoon feed me my leftist crap CBC had made the post I'm betting dollars to donuts you would have lapped it up.
Maybe widen your horizons just a wee bit, you might learn something.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm
by Homerj
LaFawnduh wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm
You can tell Homer smells a Liberal majority. Like Trump when he's cornered.
What parts of the adults are talking didn't you understand...did I use too many big words there Seamus?

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:57 pm
by sodelicious
Homerj wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:37 pm
LaFawnduh wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:33 pm
You can tell Homer smells a Liberal majority. Like Trump when he's cornered.
What parts of the adults are talking didn't you understand...did I use too many big words there Seamus?
If the adults are talking why the fuck are you here...

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 pm
by eric84
Let me guess, Rex Murphy thought Andrew scheer was handsome, smart and the best debater last night. Am I close?

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:09 pm
by LaFawnduh
Seriously speaking if the youth come out to vote one of two things are going to happen. A Liberal majority or split the vote with the NDP and Greens and Scheer slips in by a hair. I would bet on the former as they were smart enough not to split the vote last time. If they didn't want Harper they definitely don't want what Ford, Trump et al are offering up.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:21 pm
by coffeeguy
I don’t watch the CBC, I read the post and globe, Rex Murphy is still crap. Sorry to burst your little pigeonhole bubble

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:35 pm
by Homerj
eric84 wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:05 pm
Let me guess, Rex Murphy thought Andrew scheer was handsome, smart and the best debater last night. Am I close?
I'm gonna start calling you Summer's Eve (SE for short).
Let me guess Ian Hano-Mansing called Justin Trudeau dreamy on last nights National. Oh wait thats every night...sorry for the typo.

I realize anything that contradicts your worldview wont even pass from one synapse to another in that limited cranium of yours so I'll encapsulate the article for you.

Debate format was a cluster fuck...that's it....

What a sad little narrow corridor you exist in when you pre-judge everything.

Back to feeding off the public trough there SE.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm
by eric84
I think there's near universal agreement that the debate format sucked, so that wasn't worth linking. Rex Murphy used to be somewhat entertaining but he must watching foxnews all day because now he's just a cranky old dude yelling at clouds. Not a good for NP who already has Conrad Black in that role.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
by Homerj
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm
I think there's near universal agreement that the debate format sucked, so that wasn't worth linking. Rex Murphy used to be somewhat entertaining but he must watching foxnews all day because now he's just a cranky old dude yelling at clouds. Not a good for NP who already has Conrad Black in that role.
Once again you didn't read the article, he also pointed out what a middle finger it was to the ever increasingly aliented west.
Also when I posted the article it was early after the debate when opinions had just started to pour in, but like I said, even then, you didn't read the article.

It's kinda a like that doofus Seamus saying he didn't watch the debate (unlike me) but somehow he had a full commentary on what happened...now how is that possible without his ideas being spoonfed to him by hmmmmm I don't know, one of the endless lefty media outlets here in the nanny state?

I can't think of any other explanation can you?

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm
by eric84
Homerj wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm
I think there's near universal agreement that the debate format sucked, so that wasn't worth linking. Rex Murphy used to be somewhat entertaining but he must watching foxnews all day because now he's just a cranky old dude yelling at clouds. Not a good for NP who already has Conrad Black in that role.
Once again you didn't read the article, he also pointed out what a middle finger it was to the ever increasingly aliented west.
Also when I posted the article it was early after the debate when opinions had just started to pour in, but like I said, even then, you didn't read the article.

It's kinda a like that doofus Seamus saying he didn't watch the debate (unlike me) but somehow he had a full commentary on what happened...now how is that possible without his ideas being spoonfed to him by hmmmmm I don't know, one of the endless lefty media outlets here in the nanny state?

I can't think of any other explanation can you?
What is the point of reading it if it's just recitation of debate format complaints? Old news.

Here's some insight, Homer: most Canadians don't watch the debates. It may not have been a great idea to have start 7 pm eastern but really, who cares? People are going to maybe see a clip or two of it and won't likely change their mind one way or another. Modern right voters do that too, genius.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm
by Homerj
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:51 pm
Homerj wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm
I think there's near universal agreement that the debate format sucked, so that wasn't worth linking. Rex Murphy used to be somewhat entertaining but he must watching foxnews all day because now he's just a cranky old dude yelling at clouds. Not a good for NP who already has Conrad Black in that role.
Once again you didn't read the article, he also pointed out what a middle finger it was to the ever increasingly aliented west.
Also when I posted the article it was early after the debate when opinions had just started to pour in, but like I said, even then, you didn't read the article.

It's kinda a like that doofus Seamus saying he didn't watch the debate (unlike me) but somehow he had a full commentary on what happened...now how is that possible without his ideas being spoonfed to him by hmmmmm I don't know, one of the endless lefty media outlets here in the nanny state?

I can't think of any other explanation can you?
What is the point of reading it if it's just recitation of debate format complaints? Old news.

Here's some insight, Homer: most Canadians don't watch the debates. It may not have been a great idea to have start 7 pm eastern but really, who cares? People are going to maybe see a clip or two of it and won't likely change their mind one way or another. Modern right voters do that too, genius.
Well SE then just like people who don't vote, they should just stfu about something they didn't make the effort to watch, as all they are doing is regurgitating what their spoon-fed commentators told them to think, kinda like you and Seamus.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:30 pm
by eric84
I didn't regurgitate anything here, doofus. The debate was at 6 and decided a walk with the dogs and dinner were far better options. When I saw the highlights, I commented on how shitty the format seemed. Twitter commentary from even modern right analysts conceded that Singh had the best lines, whatever that is worth.

You worry too much about the CBC and Canada proud is rotting your brain.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:52 pm
by LaFawnduh
Homerj wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm
I think there's near universal agreement that the debate format sucked, so that wasn't worth linking. Rex Murphy used to be somewhat entertaining but he must watching foxnews all day because now he's just a cranky old dude yelling at clouds. Not a good for NP who already has Conrad Black in that role.
Once again you didn't read the article, he also pointed out what a middle finger it was to the ever increasingly aliented west.
Also when I posted the article it was early after the debate when opinions had just started to pour in, but like I said, even then, you didn't read the article.

It's kinda a like that doofus Seamus saying he didn't watch the debate (unlike me) but somehow he had a full commentary on what happened...now how is that possible without his ideas being spoonfed to him by hmmmmm I don't know, one of the endless lefty media outlets here in the nanny state?

I can't think of any other explanation can you?

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:56 pm
by LaFawnduh
Homerj wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:39 pm
I think there's near universal agreement that the debate format sucked, so that wasn't worth linking. Rex Murphy used to be somewhat entertaining but he must watching foxnews all day because now he's just a cranky old dude yelling at clouds. Not a good for NP who already has Conrad Black in that role.
Once again you didn't read the article, he also pointed out what a middle finger it was to the ever increasingly aliented west.
Also when I posted the article it was early after the debate when opinions had just started to pour in, but like I said, even then, you didn't read the article.

It's kinda a like that doofus Seamus saying he didn't watch the debate (unlike me) but somehow he had a full commentary on what happened...now how is that possible without his ideas being spoonfed to him by hmmmmm I don't know, one of the endless lefty media outlets here in the nanny state?

I can't think of any other explanation can you?
A Seamus didn't post in this thread so how can you say if he did or did not watch the debates? I watched the debates because I have grey market access to international channels and so commented on them. Like everybody else who said they watched the debates or made comments based on watching clips. Nobody here is saying they didn't watch the debates and then making a full commentary especially ghost posters that seem to only exist in your head. Makes you look stupid.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:59 pm
by Homerj
Sure SE, just keep telling yourself that somehow where you get spoon-fed your talking points is somehow unbiased.
Baaaaaaa......

I see sock boy is standing up for another pro-life BC candidate today....I guess when the you have an election that is this close any semblance of doing what is right goes out the window...kinda like the Cons in BC with the conversion therapy lady candidate...oh wait, no they actually shit canned their candidate.
I guess one of the two leading parties actually stands up for and behind what they believe, and the other one realizes that it's supporters are full of shit hypocrites who say they are "progressives" but really support their party regardless of any non "progressive" actions by any of their candidates.

Did that story make your lefty news feed?....or is there a hypocrisy filter on your computer that gets rid of those offending bits of the truth?

I just realized what a good app that would make...a filter that gets rid of any mention of stories that goes against lefties parties bullshit platforms and actual stories that contradict them.
Shit I'm gonna be a multi-millionaire!

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:03 pm
by eric84
You mean, a Canada Proud/Rebel Media feed? Great idea!

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:07 pm
by LaFawnduh
Like Scheer and his Pro Life views a politician is welcome to their personal values so long as they don't impose them on others through legislation. That's called being an adult.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:20 pm
by Homerj
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:03 pm
You mean, a Canada Proud/Rebel Media feed? Great idea!
I told you it was....it's hard being this clever all the time...takes real work.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:55 pm
by eric84
Ontario pcs sounding butthurt, leaking to the media that it’s bullshit that scheer’s people are blaming Doug Ford for their expected poor performance in Ontario. Knives are out.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:15 pm
by sodelicious
I just got a job as a poll worker on election day, and maybe a few or all of the advance election days.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:42 pm
by Lost Soul
One year unemployed?

Deffo re-elect HRH.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:45 pm
by sodelicious
Pretty much, a few days here and there on a casual basis.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:10 pm
by snowgirl
OK, I have to address this ridiculous assumption that the Canadian media has a left-leaning bias. Major media outlets are owned my very rich people who have a vested interest in keeping the status quo. The media, on the whole, reflects that bias. It's not a lefty bias by any long stretch.

Here's a handy chart that shows us media endorsements for the last federal election.

Image
Of the twenty-three papers that did editorialize on behalf of one party or candidate, seventeen newspapers representing 70.5% of the editorial opinion expressed lined up behind the ruling Conservatives — well over twice the party’s standing once the polls closed (31.9%).
The election before that they were even more conservativer:
In the previous federal election in 2011, twenty-two dailies did the same thing. And in that case, and astonishingly, every single newspaper across the land, except the Toronto Star, that editorially endorsed a candidate for Prime Minister touted Harper. In other words, in the 2011 federal election, 95% of editorial opinion expressed plunked for Stephen Harper – roughly three times his standing in opinion polls at the time and the results of the prior election.
https://dwmw.files.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... ements.png

This is only newpapers, granted, and lots of people get their news from other sources these days. But to whine that "the media" is all lefty rags spoonfeeding us socialist propaganda for the Liberal Party (as if!) is just ...well, whiney.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm
by eric84
But, but, but, CBC!!!!

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:24 pm
by Homerj
snowgirl wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:10 pm
OK, I have to address this ridiculous assumption that the Canadian media has a left-leaning bias. Major media outlets are owned my very rich people who have a vested interest in keeping the status quo. The media, on the whole, reflects that bias. It's not a lefty bias by any long stretch.

Here's a handy chart that shows us media endorsements for the last federal election.

Image
Of the twenty-three papers that did editorialize on behalf of one party or candidate, seventeen newspapers representing 70.5% of the editorial opinion expressed lined up behind the ruling Conservatives — well over twice the party’s standing once the polls closed (31.9%).
The election before that they were even more conservativer:
In the previous federal election in 2011, twenty-two dailies did the same thing. And in that case, and astonishingly, every single newspaper across the land, except the Toronto Star, that editorially endorsed a candidate for Prime Minister touted Harper. In other words, in the 2011 federal election, 95% of editorial opinion expressed plunked for Stephen Harper – roughly three times his standing in opinion polls at the time and the results of the prior election.
https://dwmw.files.wordpress.com/2015/1 ... ements.png

This is only newpapers, granted, and lots of people get their news from other sources these days. But to whine that "the media" is all lefty rags spoonfeeding us socialist propaganda for the Liberal Party (as if!) is just ...well, whiney.
Sorry but who other than old people gets there news from a newspaper?
Also who even pays for newspapers anymore...old people.
Same old people who watch the CBC.
Please note that all those Conservative endorsements came from only 2 media groups.
Guess what, when the ownership tells you who to get behind...you get behind them.
You can do better than that can't you?

Even TV is becoming less and less important, but none of this matters as its so obvious where you get your talking points from, you might as well cut and paste directly from Huff Post or the CBC or maybe even the Lib party websites themselves.
I just cut and paste the BS remarks you lot post and guess what pops up?

And for SE....I realize you are going for that extra wash dooshiness ...so while I realize it's pointless I'll bite anyways.
All those other outlets do NOT receive my tax dollars.
I realize having communist dogma spoon fed back to you in understandable doses appeals to you...which is fine...but you should be paying for it.
I can choose to buy/not buy any of those other papers, I can choose to watch TV stations that agree with me and not watch the ones that don't...but I and the 40% of the other RoC voters in this country have no choice about funding the communist broadcasting corp.
Imagine if your tax dollars HAD to pay for Sun Media or Rebel Media for that fact....would that work for you...of course it wouldn't.
So why should I pay for leftist dribble that i don't agree with?
Why doesn't the CBC go to a PBS type model where the majority of it's support comes from donations...that way you can revel in all that solidarity forever crap in full knowledge you funded it.
But of course you'd never go for that because lets be honest, you expect others to pay for things you want to use, and the CBC would die a quick death if it was left up to the left to financially support it.
Virtue signallers are big on virtue, but low on reaching into their own pockets to support that virtue.

Once again the hypocrisy of the left...it's just like shootin' fish in a barrel with you folks....

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 pm
by eric84
Geez, first you tell us how awful the left wing media are in skewing debate in this country and then, when confronted with the fact that media are editiorially with the Tories, you claim it doesn’t matter because people don’t read newspapers! I won’t even mention the number of times I’ve refuted your belief that the CBC is pushing stories by giving you link of the same stories coming from private broadcasters. Make up your mind: you seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about media bias only to turn tail and say it doesn’t matter

You can’t have it both ways.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:47 pm
by mothership
Scheer's absolute lack of a campaign policy is not good enough. Saying that to vote for him because he's not Trudeau is not enough for me. I guess the sheeple around here will continue to vote the hacks in.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:55 pm
by eric84

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 pm
by sodelicious
Eric, the article is locked,, and chance you could C & P it?

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 pm
by eric84
Allies of former Conservative Party minister Peter MacKay mull leadership bid
ROBERT FIFEOTTAWA BUREAU CHIEF
JANICE DICKSON

Supporters of former Conservative cabinet minister Peter MacKay are laying the groundwork for a possible leadership bid in the event party leader Andrew Scheer is unable to defeat the Liberals in the Oct. 21 general election.

Veteran Conservative Party insider John Capobianco, a senior vice-president at the public relations and marketing agency FleishmanHillard Inc., confirmed to The Globe and Mail that friends of Mr. MacKay have discussed the possibility he could seek the leadership if Mr. Scheer falters.

Mr. Scheer would face an automatic leadership review in 2020 and senior players in the Conservative Party, to whom The Globe has granted confidentiality to speak about sensitive matters, say he would have difficulty holding on to the top job if he can’t lead the party to victory at a time when many loyalists believe Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau is electorally vulnerable.

Mr. Capobianco and other Conservatives reached by The Globe stressed that no one is trying to undercut Mr. Scheer’s leadership, and that Mr. MacKay and his supporters are working hard to elect a Conservative government on Oct. 21.

“He has been extremely supportive of Andrew. He has gone to everybody’s fundraiser that he has been asked to go to. He has done TV … so we are all in for Andrew and we all want him to win,” Mr. Capobianco said in an interview. “But if something happens, who knows, but I think Peter would always be someone that people would say: ‘Hey look, this guy is not done and gone if there is ever a chance that something might happen down the road.’ ”

Mr. MacKay, who was campaigning with candidates in Montreal when he was reached by phone on Tuesday night, said he is not aware of Conservatives organizing on his behalf.

“No, I’m not [aware], and I’m doing everything I can to help Andrew and support him and his team. I’m not entertaining that at all,” he said.

Asked if he has heard from anyone on this issue, he said: “I haven’t – not a soul.”

Mr. Scheer will release a fully costed platform on Friday in Vancouver. He told reporters on Wednesday the platform will include a path to balancing the books within five years. Economists have suggested his promises to date would lead to a $15-billion deficit in 2024-25.

Mr. Capobianco said he has told people that if Mr. Scheer’s party does not form government, they should consider Mr. MacKay as a future leader. Public opinion polls currently show the Conservatives and Liberals in a virtual tie.

STORY CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT



“Because it is so tight now, nobody would ever be considering doing anything at this stage,” he said. “He [MacKay] would probably be an alternative for sure if there was ever a leadership race. I don’t even know if Peter would go in because he has [to talk] to his family, to be honest, but there are a lot of people who would love to have him, but it is so premature from that perspective.”

Mr. MacKay, a partner in the Toronto law firm Baker McKenzie, is popular in Conservative circles. He served in the Harper government in justice, defence and foreign affairs from 2006 to 2015.

He was leader of the Progressive Conservative Party until he and Stephen Harper negotiated a merger with the Canadian Alliance in 2003. This led to the formation of the Conservative Party of Canada, ending a decade of vote splitting on the right.

Mr. MacKay was expected to seek the leadership after the Harper government’s defeat, but said in 2016 the time wasn’t right for his young family.

A party insider with close ties to Mr. MacKay, who would not speak publicly about his friend’s future, said the long-time Nova Scotia Conservative is trying to maintain a high profile in case the Conservatives lose and Mr. Scheer fails a leadership review.

It’s not unusual for party leaders to be challenged after elections. Brian Mulroney organized a leadership run after Joe Clark’s Tories lost the 1980 election, and Jean Chrétien did the same in the Liberal Party against John Turner in 1984 and 1988. Mr. Chrétien faced challenges from Paul Martin in the last years of his mandate. Many Liberals see senior cabinet member Chrystia Freeland as a potential replacement for Mr. Trudeau.

Mr. MacKay left the door open to a return to politics when he announced his retirement in May, 2015, and in interviews since.

He said he campaigned in five ridings on Tuesday in Montreal – where the Conservatives have not won a seat since 1988 – calling it “quite a sprint.” He said he went to gatherings at candidates’ headquarters, public meet-and-greets and knocked on doors, and had just arrived at the airport after a fundraising dinner.

Since the summer, Mr. MacKay has crisscrossed parts of Canada for party events.

Bob Plamondon, a political historian with deep knowledge of the Conservative Party, said he frequently hears from people about Mr. MacKay’s potential.

“It’s certainly something that I often hear, and to a large degree, it’s because they look at whether he is someone who can make the party strong and relevant in all parts of Canada,” he said, adding: “Among people who follow politics more generally, a lot of talk about Peter MacKay as an extraordinarily attractive candidate and a potential future prime minister.”

Mr. Plamondon said Mr. MacKay has maintained his profile by engaging in media interviews and talking about foreign policy, and helping to support candidates.

“I think that this is Andrew Scheer’s election to win or lose – and my sense is that Peter is giving him every opportunity to win,” he said.

Mr. Plamondon said two years ago that most political observers would assume Mr. Trudeau would be Prime Minister for at least two terms because majority governments are rarely defeated after one term. But he said no one could have predicted Mr. Trudeau’s missteps.

"The expectation is the Conservatives should win this time out, and if Andrew Scheer does not, if he hasn’t exhibited a lot of growth and potential and a positive performance on the campaign, then I think he’s vulnerable,” he said.

Mr. Plamondon said the revelation of Mr. Scheer’s dual citizenship in mid-campaign was a “jolt to party members” and that he should have dealt with the issue sooner. Mr. Scheer also came under a lot of predictable criticism, he added, for his social conservative views.

“He seems to have been slow to own up to them and to frame how they would characterize his stance should he become prime minister, and he sounded almost Stephen-Harper-like – inauthentic and not as open about his views. If those are his views, he should say ‘that’s what I think’ and not skirt around them.”

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:29 pm
by coffeeguy
Unbelievable, knives are out and they aren’t even at the finish line. Doesn’t bode well for Scheer. Hey, maybe if we’re lucky Droughy will resign and run.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:30 pm
by eric84
Btw, this was the front page of the National Post, proving how lefty the news media is in this country.

Image

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:32 pm
by eric84
coffeeguy wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:29 pm
Unbelievable, knives are out and they aren’t even at the finish line. Doesn’t bode well for Scheer. Hey, maybe if we’re lucky Droughy will resign and run.
Really, he didn't get an overwhelming endorsement when he got elected as leader so I don't think it's surprising factions of the party will want to dump him.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:37 pm
by LaFawnduh
I'm surprised McKay didn't run for party leadership against Bernier and Scheer or did he? He's a much more likeable candidate and would probably be smoking Trudeau right now

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:38 pm
by LaFawnduh
Or did the party still reek of slimey Harper loyalists and the time wasn't right?

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:26 pm
by coffeeguy
MacKay probably thought he would cash in on the private sector. My guess the market for advice from a lightweight like MacKay where there is no opportunity for influence peddling in either Ottawa or Halifax Is light these days. Cons could do better than MacKay.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:30 pm
by Homerj
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 pm
Geez, first you tell us how awful the left wing media are in skewing debate in this country and then, when confronted with the fact that media are editiorially with the Tories, you claim it doesn’t matter because people don’t read newspapers! I won’t even mention the number of times I’ve refuted your belief that the CBC is pushing stories by giving you link of the same stories coming from private broadcasters. Make up your mind: you seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about media bias only to turn tail and say it doesn’t matter

You can’t have it both ways.
I have examples day after day which you constantly deflect, so I'm not turning tail, I'm simply accepting the fact SE that you don't respond to facts, so whats the point when nothing penetrates that overly thick cranium of yours?
I can give examples from yesterday or the day before of endless CBC bullshit, but why bother, you've made your mind up that it spouts nothing but gospel (not surprising when its you main source for talking points).
It's not having it both ways, I simply pointed out that it's a BS survey that SG used in that pro conservative op eds are from 2 media groups only, of course those papers were directed on who to support. If all those papers were independent then it would be a valid point.
I notice she left out magazines/tv/websites...but focused on the oldest school form of journalism news papers, which are overwhelmingly used by old people, and guess who old people tend to vote for...it was a BS stat...and I called her on it.
Since I was off yesterday I learned the following...black people like Trudeau more because of his blackface....Maclean's showed their Liberal bias once again and the CBC spouted its usual anti-Scheer shit. I also learned that when you are running for 3rd or 4th place you can spout any BS you want even if it's fantasy land stuff about foreign policy or what you'd plan to do with the Trans Mountain pipeline if elected. It must be nice to run a platform based on undergrad level lefty wonderlands that will never exist.
And if you don't think Chrystia Freeland isn't working quietly in the background to replace Trudeau, then you are dumber than a bag of hockey pucks.

Re: Canadian Election

Posted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:44 pm
by eric84
Homerj wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:30 pm
eric84 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:40 pm
Geez, first you tell us how awful the left wing media are in skewing debate in this country and then, when confronted with the fact that media are editiorially with the Tories, you claim it doesn’t matter because people don’t read newspapers! I won’t even mention the number of times I’ve refuted your belief that the CBC is pushing stories by giving you link of the same stories coming from private broadcasters. Make up your mind: you seem to spend an awful lot of time talking about media bias only to turn tail and say it doesn’t matter

You can’t have it both ways.
I have examples day after day which you constantly deflect, so I'm not turning tail, I'm simply accepting the fact SE that you don't respond to facts, so whats the point when nothing penetrates that overly thick cranium of yours?
I can give examples from yesterday or the day before of endless CBC bullshit, but why bother, you've made your mind up that it spouts nothing but gospel (not surprising when its you main source for talking points).
It's not having it both ways, I simply pointed out that it's a BS survey that SG used in that pro conservative op eds are from 2 media groups only, of course those papers were directed on who to support. If all those papers were independent then it would be a valid point.
I notice she left out magazines/tv/websites...but focused on the oldest school form of journalism news papers, which are overwhelmingly used by old people, and guess who old people tend to vote for...it was a BS stat...and I called her on it.
Since I was off yesterday I learned the following...black people like Trudeau more because of his blackface....Maclean's showed their Liberal bias once again and the CBC spouted its usual anti-Scheer shit. I also learned that when you are running for 3rd or 4th place you can spout any BS you want even if it's fantasy land stuff about foreign policy or what you'd plan to do with the Trans Mountain pipeline if elected. It must be nice to run a platform based on undergrad level lefty wonderlands that will never exist.
And if you don't think Chrystia Freeland isn't working quietly in the background to replace Trudeau, then you are dumber than a bag of hockey pucks.
In this very thread, you claimed CBC bias: one for a polltracker site which, I guess, you think is attempt to skew results to the Liberals. I showed you a website that isn't CBC showing pretty much the same analysis. Then, you claimed CBC bias about an economist who described the Liberal tax cut as slightly more progressive than the Tory plan. I then linked to a global story that said the same thing. You did a lot hand waving at both.

Chrystia Freeland may indeed be doing that, she's just not stupid enough to have supporters plastering it all over the front pages of newspapers.