Does Trump Have an Electoral Mandate to Build The Wall?

Main Course
AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Re: Does Trump Have an Electoral Mandate to Build The Wall?

Post by AntiFelix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:57 pm
flojin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:09 pm
Argonheart_Po wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 am
He definitely has an electoral mandate to build the wall.
And congress has a mandate to block his wall. That's how co-equal branches of government work. They are blocking his wall, and so he's refusing to pass any budget that opens the government. He does not have a mandate to shut down the government.
I agree with you.

Trump does have a mandate to build the wall.
With you, I will only speak in conclusory statements, since you are incapable of anything else.

No, Trump does not have a mandate to built the wall. We don't want one. That's we, including me and other Americans, but not you. You're not an American. Fuck off. I know you really want to be one, but we don't want you. Stay out.
Last edited by AntiFelix on Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm

Does Trumpiedoodle really want a wall? I don't think he does.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:10 pm

If actions count more than words then Trump's mandate is to milk his base for wall money.

Chip_Oatley
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chip_Oatley » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:10 pm

Washington Post comments:

"Mr. Trump is absolutely right that any talks on shutting the government down over lack of funding for his wall is a "total waste of time" - and taxpayer money.

This is nothing but a totally manufactured, fake crisis initiated to get all the bigots in our country to salivate over sticking it to desperate refugees fleeing violence in their home countries. If our southern border were ever in a crisis, it would have been in the early 2000s when there were an average of more than 1 million arrests per year. For the past 8 years, the average number of arrests has been around 350,000 per year. Plus, the net migration (of those coming & those leaving) actually has been negative.

Yes, border security is an issue. However, most experts claim a "wall" is not the pivotal solution. More important is addressing visa overstays and improving our immigration process."

— kenj2

"This is the problem when you lie all the time and do not think ahead.

Trump created a situation that backing down by either side will be seen as a major loss. Not such a great way to make a deal. Put both sides into a position that neither can back down.

IMHO the problem is not only is Trump reactive he zero sums everything. Trade is a good example. Trump is offering nothing in return. No citizenship for DACA, no immigration reform or anything. He wants $5B and sees a compromise as losing."

— Woody01

"The take-home message from this is that Trump doesn't understand how the government works and never has. I doubt he has ever read the Constitution, and if he has, he didn't understand it. He hasn't the slightest idea what 'checks and balances' means, nor does he understand that Congress has the power of the purse. He still assumes his wish is everyone's command, just like it was in his businesses, and it hasn't begun to sink in that as long as the Democrats don't cave, he simply cannot win this battle. He can threaten anything he wants; but the Congress is a co-equal branch and they have the Constitutional authority to say no. The voters handed the Democrats the necessary power to do this via an electoral landslide. Trump is so damned dense and narcissistic that he still believes he can bully his way to a 'win.'

He was pounding the table today, and threatening to withhold disaster funds from California. What will he do when it becomes clear he's going to lose this fight? This is going to get far uglier before it's over."

— justanotherbob

"Trump said he was going to try to negotiate with Democrats first, and if that didn't work, then he'd think about using emergency powers. So, Trump has already made clear that he's using a state of emergency strategically to get what he can't get through normal political means. That's not an emergency, that's just extremely bad politics in a democratic country."

— Donald Jay Trump and Silent Bob Mueller

COMMENTS THAT CAUGHT OUR EYE THIS WEEK
Analysis | Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s very bad defense of her falsehoods
"Progressives do not need our own Kellyanne Conway or Sarah Huckabee Sanders who defend factually incorrect statements by saying that it is okay to be wrong if you convey the point you intend.

Conway and Sanders are no doubt lying; Ocasio-Cortez is likely just making a mistake. But you do not defend a misstatement of fact by saying your wording was clumsy, and the moral point takes priority over exactitude.

We finally have powerful voices in Congress. We do not need them to join conservatives in degrading the importance of factual truth."
— mikeo3 • Read more »
Perspective | Campaign journalism needs an overhaul. Here’s one radical idea.
"Could we maybe just get rid of the whole concept of the 'news cycle'? I know it's important to reporters who have stories to file and deadlines to meet, but just like 'horse race' coverage (with which it goes hand-in-hand) it has no relevance to actual citizens. I guess the bottom line is that media coverage is designed to serve the needs and tastes of the media, not the people they supposedly serve."
— RobLewis51 • Read more »
At this year’s Golden Globes, a lot of agreement but not a lot of fun
"The humor was thin and flat. The acceptance speeches were mostly boring and over-wrought. ... Two things that really stood out to us was, first, Hollywood in the tradition of anything worth doing at all is worth over-doing, bent over backwards to push the diversity stuff only a year or so after getting a well-deserved beating for being the domain of middle-aged white guys.

Second, it was clear to us that the broadcast networks are finished as content providers. Despite some good TV that is on the broadcast networks such as the Chicago series, This Is Us, and others, the broadcast networks have largely surrendered their prime-time programming to crap such as The Voice and The Titan Games. I didn't notice a single broadcast program getting even a nomination, much less winning an award. Perhaps that is because the cable channels don't censor bad language like NBC did last night."
— Darius6 •

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Mike Hunt » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:03 pm

The point of divided government is no branch every has a mandate alone.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 pm

AntiFelix wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm
Argonheart_Po wrote:
flojin wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:09 pm

And congress has a mandate to block his wall. That's how co-equal branches of government work. They are blocking his wall, and so he's refusing to pass any budget that opens the government. He does not have a mandate to shut down the government.
I agree with you.

With you, I will only speak in conclusory statements, since you are incapable of anything else.

No, Trump does not have a mandate to built the wall. We don't want one. That's we, including me and other Americans, but not you. You're not an American. Fuck off. I know you really want to be one, but we don't want you. Stay out.
Scratch Felix just a little, you always reveal a petty nationalist.
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:36 pm
AntiFelix wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm
Argonheart_Po wrote:

I agree with you.

Scratch Felix just a little, you always reveal a petty nationalist.
No taxation, no representation. Fuck off.
I am Stalking you.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 pm

The word "mandate" gets used in odd ways.

Some people seem to think it means that if a President gets elected, or has a lot of support, or has a lot of support for some particular issue (or something), he or she can go ahead and just do something or other.

The government doesn't really work that way. The President doesn' have "mandate" to implement anything except what's in the scope of the executive branch (and regrettably, since Tonkin, some limited war-making). If the President can't convince Congress to pass a law, it doesn't become a law. If the President wants to stop a bill becoming law, he has veto power which can be over-ridden if Congress strongly disagrees with him. Funding allocations have to come from Congress.

Congress isn't funding a wall, so Trump doesn't have any mandate to build a wall. If the ACA had not passed Congress (albeit by reconciliation), their would have been no "presidential mandate" for Obamacare.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm

As a Real American, I would trade one Argon for a thousand Felixfags in a heartbeat.

While it's true we'd be down a thousand catboys, I think we'd survive.
Certified: NOT a Racist!

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Annotated wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:51 pm
As a Real American, I would trade one Argon for a thousand Felixfags in a heartbeat.

Argonhead, this is your ideological soulmate. Walk Proud.
I am Stalking you.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Go away, Fake American.

We don't want you here.

The soy lactating from your nipples is turning our country gay.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 pm

vanceen wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:49 pm
The word "mandate" gets used in odd ways.

Some people seem to think it means that if a President gets elected, or has a lot of support, or has a lot of support for some particular issue (or something), he or she can go ahead and just do something or other.

The government doesn't really work that way. The President doesn' have "mandate" to implement anything except what's in the scope of the executive branch (and regrettably, since Tonkin, some limited war-making). If the President can't convince Congress to pass a law, it doesn't become a law. If the President wants to stop a bill becoming law, he has veto power which can be over-ridden if Congress strongly disagrees with him. Funding allocations have to come from Congress.

Congress isn't funding a wall, so Trump doesn't have any mandate to build a wall. If the ACA had not passed Congress (albeit by reconciliation), their would have been no "presidential mandate" for Obamacare.
It's a fancy Tucker Carlson word that the tards use to boost Trump's morale and gird his backbone to follow through on the campaign promise that is going nowhere.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:57 pm

Fuck off, trash. I'm from here.
I am Stalking you.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 pm

"Mandates" have always been a political reality.

They are becoming less so these days because members of congress are less interested in doing the will of the people when they lose.

In days past, at least some politicians would give in to the "mandate" in order to make future deal-making easier.

Not so much anymore.
Last edited by Annotated on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm

AntiFelix wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:57 pm
You may have been born here, but we don't want you here anymore.

GO AWAY!

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.

AntiFelix
Stew Ingredient

Post by AntiFelix » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm

Annotated wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:04 pm
AntiFelix wrote:

GO AWAY!

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
Do something about it, Cletus. I dare you. Until then, I fuck your sister. She likes it.
I am Stalking you.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm

Annotated wrote:
AntiFelix wrote:

GO AWAY!

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
Have you contributed to the “go fund me wall campaign because I’ve manufactured an emergency “ yet?
Lower the curtain down on Memphis,
Lower the curtain down on me...

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 pm

AntiFelix wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:06 pm
Annotated wrote:
AntiFelix wrote:

GO AWAY!

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
Do something about it, Cletus. I dare you. Until then, I fuck your sister. She likes it.
OK, I wasn't going to admit this ... but you know that train your mom pulled, the one with Emperor Bert, DC Comic, Bananaboy, Gootard, Eric, and all the others?

Yeah, that one.

Yeah, I was on it.

I can't say I enjoyed it, but I know she certainly did.

Anyway, faggot, all I'd have to do to you is plug up your nipples, then you'd become a enormous soy balloon, growing bigger and bigger every day until one day you just popped -- a huge, glorious burst of soy milk exploding into the sky like a giant gay soy milk mushroom.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:16 pm

Annotated wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:01 pm
"Mandates" have always been a political reality.

They are becoming less so these days because members of congress are less interested in doing the will of the people when they lose.

In days past, at least some politicians would give in to the "mandate" in order to make future deal-making easier.

Not so much anymore.
I guess Mitch McConnell shouldn't have been so obstructionist during the Obama years. Payback is a bitch.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 pm

andybox wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:07 pm
Annotated wrote:
AntiFelix wrote:

GO AWAY!

YOU'RE NOT WANTED HERE.
Have you contributed to the “go fund me wall campaign because I’ve manufactured an emergency “ yet?
No, but I've contributed to the "Expel All the Soyboy Fake American Fags Fund."

This is why Felix is so upset.

He sees his time is getting short.

He's nervous (and should be!).

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm

This is hilarious. Trump made the wall up as he went along. Fifty feet high! Made of steel! Mexico's going to pay for it. Maybe even by check! It just got ten feet taller!

The tards got whooped up into a frenzy over fantasy rhetoric and they want to keep the dream alive.

Where does the mandate stand now, anyway? Give Trump five billion dollars for border security--make that four, do I hear three, we'll take two, one, anything. Just give Trump something so he can save face with the base.

In the meantime, Trump has used the wall to stuff his coffers with cash donations from the base, so mandate accomplished as far as Trump is concerned.

steveogolf
Stew Ingredient

Post by steveogolf » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:20 pm

Mitch McConnell will feel THE HEAT eventually if he doesn't allow the House bills to be voted on.
Steveo is my name, and golf is my game.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:30 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:If any politician has a mandate to do something it’s this.

They should build it.
He doesn't even have a mandate from the border states.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:30 am

Annotated wrote:As a Real American, I would trade one Argon for a thousand Felixfags in a heartbeat.

You’re not a real American. You’re a motherfucker.

Real Americans are sick of you.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:36 am

It’s interesting how the rightists want to surrender to strongman government so readily.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:54 am

If the ACA had not passed Congress (albeit by reconciliation)
The ACA was not passed via reconciliation. You might be thinking of the Bush tax cuts. Or maybe of the 2016 bill to repeal the ACa, which was passed via reconciliation and vetoed by President Obama.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:50 am

For Donald Trump, border wall was mandated by voters
Clearly.
I wouldn’t exactly describe myself as Donald Trump’s biggest supporter, which makes writing this piece harder than usual. But if ever an American president had a mandate for a policy, surely it is Trump’s plan to build a wall across the border with Mexico.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.the ... 3fd2d2f5d8
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Does Trump Have an Electoral Mandate to Build The Wall?

Post by Godjira » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:57 am

Donald Trump is batshit crazy.

And even if he got 600 electoral votes, the House has a mandate to stop his wall.

I like how for the right, as long as it’s Trump, they’re happy to throw all democratic processes out the window.

muthafunky
Stew Ingredient

Post by muthafunky » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

"Had" a mandate is what I'd say, absolutely. Pushing this two years on following a solid defeat in the House is very odd.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:34 pm

Po, can you save me the trouble of reading that link, and tell me how many times it says Trump promised to build a wall paid for by the US taxpayers? I am sure the story must have those data.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:23 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:50 am
Clearly.
I wouldn’t exactly describe myself as Donald Trump’s biggest supporter, which makes writing this piece harder than usual. But if ever an American president had a mandate for a policy, surely it is Trump’s plan to build a wall across the border with Mexico.
The Australian. Hilarious. I’m not tempted to get a subscription based on that opening.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:32 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:54 am
If the ACA had not passed Congress (albeit by reconciliation)
The ACA was not passed via reconciliation. You might be thinking of the Bush tax cuts. Or maybe of the 2016 bill to repeal the ACa, which was passed via reconciliation and vetoed by President Obama.
You're right, the bill itself was not passed via reconciliation.

I wasn't thinking about the other votes.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:42 am

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:50 am
Clearly.
Well, gee, gosh, an Australian journalist has stopped chucking prawns on the barbie long enough to reckon Trump has a mandate.

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:24 am

I've seen a lot of dumb question on this site over the years, but the OP's is probably the dumbest.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:02 am

I doubt anyone was really convinced to vote for Trump over Hillary because of the wall- except maybe really believing that Mexico would pay for it. Who even thought about building a wall? They already have a lot of wall and fence built- they have been building it as needed and as congress has agreed to do over the last several years. It's all bullshit.

equus
Modern Leftits

Post by equus » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am

You lot do remember that Po is a self confessed troll? Stop feeding the troll, people.
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

goo.gl/5i3gvB

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm

thegreenlantern wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:24 am
I've seen a lot of dumb question on this site over the years, but the OP's is probably the dumbest.
Word.

If there was anything associated with Trump's campaign more than "Make America Great Again," it was chants of, "Build the wall!"

He made it very clear what he was for, and the people elected him to carry out his promises.

Of course he has a mandate.

I always find it funny when tards are shocked (shocked, I say!) that Trump is now carrying out his campaign promises. I bet they didn't even know what his campaign promises were. All they heard from their media was, "Orange Man Bad!" And so then they began to repeat, over and over again, on a never-ending, whiny loop, "Orange Man Bad!"

This is why they are continually shocked by reality. Their media hides the truth from them.

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:26 pm

equus wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:35 am
You lot do remember that Po is a self confessed troll? Stop feeding the troll, people.
It boggles the mind, right? But 80% of the traffic on this site has got to be responses to Argon's bad faith arguments, most of which aren't even about politics.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:13 pm

The image of Canada laying the welcome mat out for a Saudi woman refugee, and Trump actions on the same subject sure do say something don't they?

I do think Trump and his cronies will replace the image of the Statue of Liberty with one of a Steel Wall, in most peoples minds when they think of the USA.
'There are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Free American Joe!!!

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:47 pm

Trump had a mandate for a wall paid by Mexico.

Mike Hunt
Stew Ingredient

Post by Mike Hunt » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

Annotated wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm
thegreenlantern wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:24 am
Word.

If there was anything associated with Trump's campaign more than "Make America Great Again," it was chants of, "Build the wall!"

He made it very clear what he was for, and the people elected him to carry out his promises.
He ran on a wall being funded by Mexico, not a fence being funded by Americans who are children now.
Of course he has a mandate.
Great. He's building his fence then. Why are we having this conversation?

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:56 am

The Democrats have a mandate to oppose Trump’s wall.

The Senate GOP have the ability to restart the government by passing a veto-proof bill.