Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Main Course
Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 am

Most members of the “exhausted majority,” and then some, dislike political correctness. Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.” Even young people are uncomfortable with it, including 74 percent ages 24 to 29, and 79 percent under age 24. On this particular issue, the woke are in a clear minority across all ages.

Youth isn’t a good proxy for support of political correctness—and it turns out race isn’t, either.
80% of Americans believe "political correctness is a problem in our country." Supporters of political correctness tend to be rich, highly educated, progressive activists.

Really?

Who knew!

https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article ... ssion=true
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

eric84

Re: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

Post by eric84 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:58 am

It would’ve been considered pc to support gay marriage.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:59 am

Time for a civil war.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:35 am

I use my PC all the time, though it is true that I use my iPhone a lot more.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

cuchulainn
Instigator

Post by cuchulainn » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:24 am

Bricks and Bats Day is nigh!

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:37 am

I knew I'd see this here. The study is getting lambasted because it doesn't have any concrete definition of "PC," and people have negative associations with the term. When people are asked if they think political correctness is a problem, they image a behavior they find obnoxious and say yes; anything they'd just consider "polite" isn't PC and therefore isn't a problem. It's not all clear that "PC" means anything like the same thing to any of the respondents, so it's impossible to know whether the majority of Americans really disapprove of any specific thing.

I read a different survey recently that shows the majority of Americans think it's appropriate to call someone by their chosen gender pronoun. When asked why, lots of respondents compared purposeful mis-gendering to purposefully calling someone by the wrong name. You'd think if Americans really thought we'd gone to far into PC, they'd balk at calling some genderfluidqueer kid "they" just to protect their feelings.

My guess is that if you came up with a list of actual PC behaviors and asked Americans if those things were problems, you wouldn't find many that a majority actually disapprove of.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:45 am

Yes, well Po is a self-admitted internet troll who like to cut and paste any crap he can troll with. So no surprises here.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:51 am

Sure, but Yascha Mounk wrote it, and the Atlantic published it, and a number of genuine journalists and political analysts are wondering aloud what to make of it.

Mounk, as it happens, is starting to become a sort of avatar for hand-wringing liberals who think the gender studies department has taken over American universities, and he draws his conclusions largely by over-interpreting studies with poor measurement designs.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 am

I’d advise no one on the left to take any notice of this. Except of course, to rubbish it.

You should continue to do exactly what you’ve been doing.

Everyone loves haughty, self-righteous moralists bossing around the details of their daily lives.
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:27 am

eric84 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:58 am
It would’ve been considered pc to support gay marriage.
It is pc to support gay marriage.

Can you think of any other reason when it has normalised?
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm

It's hard to miss this(as noted in a previous post)
"since the survey question did not define political correctness for respondents, we cannot be sure what, exactly, the 80 percent of Americans who regard it as a problem have in mind."

80% oppose something.
discuss

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:46 pm

birdlite wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:41 pm
It's hard to miss this(as noted in a previous post)
"since the survey question did not define political correctness for respondents, we cannot be sure what, exactly, the 80 percent of Americans who regard it as a problem have in mind."

80% oppose something.
discuss

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I figured that. It's not surprising then to see because PC has such an overwhelming negative connotation. It doesn't really mean anything unless you address actual issues say, like, gay marriage.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm

Someone who is politically correct believes that language and actions that could be offensive to others, especially those relating to sex and race, should be avoided.
Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.”
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:09 pm

The problem with "PC" is not what certain so-called "progressives" think. It is what they demand that YOU think, and their demands that any thoughts that you actually express must be expressed using the circumscribed and freighted vocabulary that they impose.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:23 pm

Concerns about PC seem rather quaint when you have a president who can't utter a sentence without telling a complete falsehood.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:24 pm

Brings to mind women who disavow feminism.
I wonder how many of them there are.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:31 pm

Ped_Yai wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:09 pm
The problem with "PC" is not what certain so-called "progressives" think. It is what they demand that YOU think, and their demands that any thoughts that you actually express must be expressed using the circumscribed and freighted vocabulary that they impose.
It sounds like parents who are always giving their teenagers a hard time instead of just letting them do what they want.

I'm curious about this imposed vocabulary. Is it like when "they" decided we shouldn't say 'Negro' anymore?

I think I get it. Free, white, property owning men should get to determine what normal and acceptable is. When they have to countenance their assumptions getting challenged, Hillary needs to be locked up. When they no longer feel they can say nigger, halfbreed, homo, or make 'affectionate' remarks to attractive women without second guessing themselves, then it means the Marxists are instigating a coup.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:50 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:45 am
Everyone loves haughty, self-righteous moralists bossing around the details of their daily lives.
That doesn't explain why everyone here hates you.

LonelyTeaPot
Stew Ingredient

Post by LonelyTeaPot » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:25 pm

DCComic wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:55 pm
Someone who is politically correct believes that language and actions that could be offensive to others, especially those relating to sex and race, should be avoided.
Among the general population, a full 80 percent believe that “political correctness is a problem in our country.”
There will always be someone who's offended about something. If you adopt political correctness as your maxime, you won't be able to talk about anything at all. This is often used by proponents of PC, usually liberals or leftists, as a tactic to silence political opponents as we can see quite well on this board. When someome is critical of, say immigration or Islam, he is hit on his head with silly accusations of racism or islamophobia.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 pm

Is PC Culture when you use terms like 'The Modern Left'?

But away from PC culture, i do just love Swedish meatballs!!!
'There are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Free American Joe!!!

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 pm

Ped_Yai wrote:
The problem with "PC" is that some people mistake common courtesy, respect, and kindness for political correctness because they were born narcissistic slobs.

Yes, some PC goes too far. I read exhaustive instructions every day on Twitter. But if someone comes to me with reasoned argument, I can change.
Few words are so important to my identity that I can't modify my language.

The authors did make a good point about why people don't like "PC"
"In the extended interviews and focus groups, participants made clear that they were concerned about their day-to-day ability to express themselves: They worry that a lack of familiarity with a topic, or an unthinking word choice, could lead to serious social sanctions for them."

Lack of familiarity is very different than "I want to use n****r because that's how I feel."

Again, courtesy, respect, and kindness. Assholes.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:40 pm

birdlite wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 pm
The problem with "PC" is that some people mistake common courtesy, respect, and kindness for political correctness because they were born narcissistic slobs.

Yes, some PC goes too far. I read exhaustive instructions every day on Twitter. But if someone comes to me with reasoned argument, I can change.

"In the extended interviews and focus groups, participants made clear that they were concerned about their day-to-day ability to express themselves: They worry that a lack of familiarity with a topic, or an unthinking word choice, could lead to serious social sanctions for them."

Lack of familiarity is very different than "I want to use n****r because that's how I feel."

Yes. This.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:48 pm

PC is the non-threat that never quite seems to materialize into any discomfort for me.

Not unlike the incipient Trump police state.

And actual haughtiness is hard to come by outside of a play written by Geodaddy involving powdered wigs.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 pm

birdlite wrote:

Yes, and who wants people's heads for making an innocent "mistake?"

We are part of a civilization that is thousands of years old. We have been navigating the waters of respect and courtesy for millennia.

"PC" is something different from that, or else it would just be called respect and courtesy.

By it's very nature, "political correctness" is combative, vindictive, and seeks to control. It looks to weaponize the ideas of courtesy and respect for a completely different gain.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:56 pm

birdlite wrote:
Ped_Yai wrote:

Well said.

Courtesy, respect, kindness, and perhaps also extending the benefit of the doubt when someone uses a term that might be "questionable". If they are really a bigot of some kind, it will become clear. If not, it's better to skip the tirade.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

Being against PC is actually even slightly lazier than the old saw of being fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Its just more vacuous virtue signaling.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:00 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm
Being against PC is actually even slightly lazier than the old saw of being fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

Yup.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Where I live, we have the trope of the common sense conservative. Because liberals are by def. jibbering window lickers (obligatory Termite reference).

People wanna believe in Daddy. PC = anti-Daddy.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:06 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:57 pm

You have quite a talent for producing shallow, vacant thought and presenting it as if it's the opposite.

But that's a wind-up, right?

I mean you aren't serious, are you?

Tell me it's more of 5-star trolling.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:07 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:02 pm
Where I live, we have the trope of the common sense conservative. Because liberals are by def. jibbering window lickers (obligatory Termite reference).

People wanna believe in Daddy. PC = anti-Daddy.
See what I mean!

Another example, right on cue.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 pm

It's called making a point, not just jerking off.

I'll bet your real name is Red Ruff'NSore.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 pm
So, you ARE serious?

Oh my.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:11 pm

Like, you never want to crack a joke?

Other than "Trump seldom lies"?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Annotated wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:10 pm
BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:08 pm
So, you ARE serious?

Oh my.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You've been nailed, you cringeworthy squirming POS.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 pm

Oh, so now it's a joke?

I think you have to admit that this whole contrarian shtick is a fail when you even start working against yourself ... in back-to-back posts, no less.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:17 pm

Annotated wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:14 pm
Oh, so now it's a joke?

I think you have to admit that this whole contrarian shtick is a fail when you even start working against yourself ... in back-to-back posts, no less.
I beg your pardon.
You've been nailed, you semi literate cringeworthy squirming POS.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:19 pm

I like a light touch. You like to stagger towards some inchoate point.

Something for everyone, really.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:29 pm

When he went with Trump seldom lies, he morphed into the Manch Vegas of this branch.

Minus the standing ass fuck offer. So actually, less good.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 am

BeatRaven wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:04 pm
Same ol' same ol':
-Don't hold on to bullshit forever. If I have a disagreement in a thread, it ends in that thread. I aint following people around demanding a recount.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=187097&start=100#p4223880
I saw this earlier today and let it pass. Didn't have the energy or the interest really to point out that you do this all the time.

But as we have another nice example, why not, right?

As I've said before, you're kind of an Emperor with No Clothes character. Lots of bluff and bluster. All sorts of meaningless, hollow pronouncements. Lots of no's to every yes and yes to every no (even your own, as we've seen), but not a lot else.

I've asked this before in different ways, but I'll go ahead and ask it again: do you really not see any of this?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:27 am

You said Trump seldom lies. Pointing at my more successful trolling efforts only highlights that loserdom.

For Trump seldom lies, you need the big black dildo troll dick. You showed up with Manch Vegas's dick.

Like I said, after Trump Seldom lies, you are him.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:29 am

So the answer is no, then.

OK.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:33 am

Emperor with no clothes wants something. What do I supposedly want?

Mostly, I'm here cracking jokes while waiting for my mother in law to die.

Trying to find me out and bring me to internet micro-world justice? Team up with Eric84. Man, I would love that. Like a deranged buddy movie thing.

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:16 am

BT you live in Laos, or in some other SEA country, right? How often do you go to a "western country " and how long for (say, per year)?

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:25 am

I live in Dixie flag land in America.

I'm up to my ass in Trump. It aint my flavor, but it aint all bad.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:30 am

Do people freely choose the language that they use?

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:54 am

"The problem with "PC" is that some people mistake common courtesy, respect, and kindness for political correctness because they were born narcissistic slobs. "

Except that the ranks of the politically correct are extraordinarily well stocked with intemperate, officious, obnoxious busybody a@@holes who wouldn't know courtesy and civility if it bit them in the rear.

If you act mad enough, you frighten them away.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:36 am

I still wonder how you would think that you choose the words you use. You use, like everyone else, the words that you have been taught at home, at school, through our culture and society, etc. I mean, unless you're like Sauron and make up your own evil language, or make up your own Esperanto, you're inheriting a language from those who came before you.

Our thoughts are structured by language, our ideas embodied but also in part limited and controlled by words. There are concepts that just cannot be translated properly from language to language, especially those that are very closely related to a culture.

So, if you inherit a language that contains words that grew out of power structures meant to keep certain people down, then it is a good idea to look at the language and change it as needed. It's not limiting, but liberating. If you change the common use of "police man" to "police officer", then you are opening up a much greater field of possibility.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:08 am

From the article:
The gap between the progressive perception and the reality of public views on this issue could do damage to the institutions that the woke elite collectively run. A publication whose editors think they represent the views of a majority of Americans when they actually speak to a small minority of the country may eventually see its influence wane and its readership decline. And a political candidate who believes she is speaking for half of the population when she is actually voicing the opinions of one-fifth is likely to lose the next election.

In a democracy, it is difficult to win fellow citizens over to your own side, or to build public support to remedy injustices that remain all too real, when you fundamentally misunderstand how they see the world.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:14 am

Just like BeatRaven said, people are uncomfortable questioning daddy's language.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:06 am

And as previously said. Lefties, take no notice of this report, except to dismiss it.

Continue exactly as you have been.

The people love what you do and how you behave.