American Hunters Driving Giraffes to Extinction

Main Course
cuchulainn
Instigator

American Hunters Driving Giraffes to Extinction

Post by cuchulainn » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:21 pm

I don't care if people hunt plentiful mammals like deer. But hunting exotic species like giraffes is sick. Degenerates like the Trump boys revel in killing rare animals.
It’s World Giraffe Day, and NRDC is hard at work to prevent what many are calling the “silent extinction” of these iconic animals. Many people don’t know the sad reality that giraffe populations have declined more than 40 percent in just the past 30 years, with fewer than 100,000 remaining in isolated, fragmented populations across Africa.

Over a year ago, NRDC and our partners at the Humane Society International (HIS), the Center for Biological Diversity, the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), and the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), filed a petition urging the Fish and Wildlife Service to list giraffes as an endangered species under the U.S. Endangered Species Act. The Service was supposed to say whether giraffes “may warrant” listing within 90 days, but it’s way behind schedule. We call on the Service to honor World Giraffe Day by deciding what we already know, that giraffes warrant listing, as soon as possible. We owe it to these wondrous creatures not to delay the listing process another day.

Scientists disagree about the classification of giraffes, but the consensus for the time being is that there is one species of giraffe and nine subspecies: West African, Kordofan, Nubian, reticulated, Masai, Thornicroft’s, Rothchild’s, Angolan and South African. Several of the subspecies, most notably the West African giraffe, the Nubian giraffe in Ethiopia and South Sudan, and the Thornicroft’s giraffe in eastern Zambia, are critically endangered.

The United States is a big part of the problem, importing almost 40,000 giraffe products over the past decade, including more than 21,400 bone carvings, 3,855 skins and skin pieces and 3,700 hunting trophies. Rugs, pillows, knife handles, and myriad other products made from giraffe skins and bones can be found for sale all over the internet, not to mention gruesome photos of giraffes killed for sport by American hunters.

Source: WWF Wildlife Trade Tracker, http://wildlifetradetracker.org/?db=lemis.

An endangered listing under the ESA would help giraffes by prohibiting most imports and sales of giraffes and giraffe products into the United States and reducing the number of giraffes that can be imported by trophy hunters. And, just as importantly, it would draw attention to the plight of giraffes, which has gone largely unnoticed by the world community until recently.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/paul-todd/ ... n-giraffes

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Re: American Hunters Driving Giraffes to Extinction

Post by harry_flashman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm

All organic life on this planet is destined for extinction, what do the ‘save the planet’ brigade indend to do about it
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Good moaning Hairy!!
'There are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Free American Joe!!!

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 am

Here's a couple of giraffes from northern Tanzania doing their best to avoid extinction(my wife took this pic)...

FUUZ
Stew Ingredient

Post by FUUZ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:20 am

harry_flashman wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:19 pm
All organic life on this planet is destined for extinction,
like, hundreds of millions of years from now, unless the heating up of the Earth can be prevented somehow, like by moving Earth further away from the swelling Sun.
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

5waldos
Stew Ingredient

Post by 5waldos » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:32 am

Steve- last time I went to the Denver Zoo we had a giraffe couple doing likewise. Parents were frantically trying to guide their young children off to see some thing elase- anything else. It was pretty amusing.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:34 am

I agree with cuch that killing things for the sake of killing them is sick.

But, trophy kills could also go far in preserving these large mammals in their native habitats, provided the money paid for the trophy goes toward conservation of their habitat in the various shitholes where they live. The article misses the fact that preserving animals in the Third World may depend on monetizing the animals, for the benefit of the locals.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:36 am

Steve_in_Exile wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 am
Here's a couple of giraffes from northern Tanzania doing their best to avoid extinction(my wife took this pic)...
Crikey! Imagine the whiplash!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:39 am

Females are lighter-skinned than the males in giraffes, as in humans; and probably for the same reason.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD