Modern Monetary Theory

Main Course
kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Modern Monetary Theory

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:46 am

or MMT, explained to me as a grade school layman with minimal macroeconomic basics

worrying about inflation is overrated, government (that has sovereign fiat currency) should spend spend spend by printing money, stimulating the economy, taxation should be used to control inflation, which won't really be a problem until efficient production possibilities is achieved

the next iteration of accepted macroeconomic theory or complete leftist bunk? Assuming the variable of normative politics is kept out. Which it can't in the real world that academic economists don't operate in.

matt_melb
Stew Ingredient

Re: Modern Monetary Theory

Post by matt_melb » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 am

kotagiri_tea_planter wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:46 am
worrying about inflation is overrated
I fear we're about to discover this might not be correct. Hope I'm wrong.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:07 am

from the little I've read/heard, MMTists seem to be basing a strong portion of their argument on the last decade's inflation numbers, which don't seem to be doing what they were expected to be doing based on macro basics like the Phillips curve

mishmish
Stew Ingredient

Post by mishmish » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 pm

matt_melb wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:00 am
maybe, but OP should maybe consider the state of affairs in countries with hyperinflation. This is not just a macroeconomic blahblah with no relation to everyday life, but among other things causes people not to save (not worth it). That's the extreme, but it points to the problem

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Post by dBrother » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 pm

mishmish wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:00 pm
matt_melb wrote:
maybe, but OP should maybe consider the state of affairs in countries with hyperinflation. This is not just a macroeconomic blahblah with no relation to everyday life, but among other things causes people not to save (not worth it). That's the extreme, but it points to the problem
gLod is the answer in these places, seriously. i mean you dont want to be stuffing turkish lira under the mattress..

BAGOFSWAGS
Stew Ingredient

Post by BAGOFSWAGS » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:57 pm

dBrother wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:47 pm
mishmish wrote:
matt_melb wrote:

gLod is the answer in these places, seriously. i mean you dont want to be stuffing turkish lira under the mattress..
Gold is never the answer and it is clear you never lived in any of these countries that dealt with hyperinflation. The wealthy buy hard assets (eg land and plant) and leverage themselves with debt in anticipation of devaluation. They don’t buy gold

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:20 pm

mishmish wrote:
By OP if you mean the MMTists, of whom I am not, they do address it since that's the easiest and major criticism of MMT. Their argument is that inflation would occur when an economy is efficiently using all its resources, which is desirable, and when it does occur, taxation is used to try to bring inflation under control, done mostly by the government without much need for a central bank's open market operations to control the money supply. The MMTists also argue that automatic stabilizers like less need for government spending thus less government printing of money when the economy is humming is a tool for trying to control inflation. Actually, that's not their argument, it's my simplification of their argument.

Either way, I doubt it can work due to political and psychological will of both people and politicians. But I'm wondering if it'll ever join the ranks of Keynesian, classical, and monetarist macroeconomic theory.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:52 pm

or MMT, explained to me as a grade school layman with minimal macroeconomic basics

worrying about inflation is overrated, government (that has sovereign fiat currency) should spend spend spend by printing money, stimulating the economy, taxation should be used to control inflation, which won't really be a problem until efficient production possibilities is achieved

the next iteration of accepted macroeconomic theory or complete leftist bunk? Assuming the variable of normative politics is kept out. Which it can't in the real world that academic economists don't operate in.
Ultimately, it's bunk.

Eventually, paying interest on the debt ($20 Trillion now) will overwhelm the government.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 am

Unless the MMTists had their way, which would be the government printing of trillions to pay of that debt. Those trillions would go to bond holders and creditors, theoretically increasing consumer spending and business investment and lowering interest rates with the increase in loanable funds, especially without government crowding out, which would also increase consumer spending and business investment. Sounds like a recipe for massive hyperinflation. Excerpt the MMTists say now is the time to tax to counter that. While the economy is humming. The theory, like all limited variable economic theories, seems sound. Is it really only political will that's stopping it? Although it does seem like some macroeconomic make believe. Seems the psychology just wouldn't allow it in the real world.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:22 am

Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:15 am
Unless the MMTists had their way, which would be the government printing of trillions to pay of that debt.
That will also ultimately overwhelm the government, by making the currency worthless.

See Berniezuela, and dozens of other countries where this has been tried, for details.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:29 am

Again, the MMTists are aware of that being the easiest and simplest counter to their theory and argue that taxation should be used to control that. Their whole deal is to upend the idea of government expenditures based on tax revenue. Government expenditures based on printing money, taxation as a tool to control for inflation.

I agree that political psychology and will won't allow that to happen. As sound accepted macroeconomic theory, though?

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 am

Again, the MMTists are aware of that being the easiest and simplest counter to their theory and argue that taxation should be used to control that.
I admit to being completely baffled as to how tax policy could be used to mitigate the standard problems brought about by high inflation. Could you maybe describe how this is supposed to work?

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:26 am

My understanding of it is pretty simplistic, but the idea is that taxation would be used to curb consumption and business investment. Increase taxes to decrease spending, which would control inflation. The MMTists say that tax revenue shouldn't be seen as a source of government expenditures. Instead, taxation should be viewed as a tool to limit inflation with government expenditures based on the printing of sovereign fiat currency. That's the major difference in macroeconomic theory they're advocating and I'm wondering if it'll be ever accepted as mainstream macroeconomic theory.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:31 am

Another obvious problem I see is lag time in political response to inflation. Increasing taxes is already a fraught exercise. Doubt the government has the will to raise tax rates so quickly to counter spiraling inflation. But economists would not consider political will an economic issue. And MMTists would argue that if their theory is accepted, lag time can be mitigated.

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 am

Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:26 am
My understanding of it is pretty simplistic, but the idea is that taxation would be used to curb consumption and business investment. Increase taxes to decrease spending, which would control inflation. The MMTists say that tax revenue shouldn't be seen as a source of government expenditures. Instead, taxation should be viewed as a tool to limit inflation with government expenditures based on the printing of sovereign fiat currency. That's the major difference in macroeconomic theory they're advocating and I'm wondering if it'll be ever accepted as mainstream macroeconomic theory.
So the idea is that the government taxes to remove the money it created from private hands? It creates money, spends it, then taxes it out of the economy? If the government isn't spending this tax revenue, what is it doing with these taxes? If it sets fire to the taxed money, then prints more to spend, it's hard to how this policy's net effect on the money supply is necessarily different than simply taxing and spending.

This seems like a horrible idea, but my confusion on how this is intended to work makes in hard to nail down which horrible consequence is going to result. From the git go, the long term problem with high inflation is that it already curbs consumption and investment because inflation erodes the purchasing power of saved assets. Using tax policy to further depress these behaviors sounds like lunacy. When people spend in hyper-inflation, it's to mitigate the losses the inflation causes to savings, so taxation isn't going to prevent the problem, anyway.

kotagiri_tea_planter
Stew Ingredient

Post by kotagiri_tea_planter » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:02 pm

I might've been confused in explaining taxation as a tool to control inflation. I don't think MMTists would say it's to be used to bring back inflation after it's hit high levels, but that taxation would be used like a central bank uses open market operations these days days to impact interest rates and thus inflation. Minor adjustments every now and then based on outlook.

Vince
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vince » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:40 pm

So you mean by taxing and subsidising investment returns perhaps? Otherwise I’ve no idea what you’re talking about. Inflation is always a monetary phenomenon.
No Deal Brexit must mean Civil War

thegreenlantern
Stew Ingredient

Post by thegreenlantern » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:41 pm

I mean, I suppose it's theoretically possible to manage the spending glut that accompanies inflation in the short term by taxing such that no one experiencing the increased money flow feels richer, but once you've taxed away inflation gains AND their money is worth less due to inflation ... aren't they poorer?

More importantly, let's say the Magic Taxation Wand perfectly mitigates the inflation effect... why is this better than just taxing? It seems like a very complicated way to achieve the same effect and the benefit relies on some conspiratorial secret calculations.

Vince
Stew Ingredient

Post by Vince » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Ok I’ve read the wiki page and it’s not taxing interest, but it does sound wrong.
No Deal Brexit must mean Civil War

Electrolyte
Sole Guardian of Truth and Sanity

Post by Electrolyte » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:28 am

worrying about inflation is overrated, government (that has sovereign fiat currency) should spend spend spend by printing money, stimulating the economy
Only in the particular circumstances we've been in for the past decade.
thegreenlantern wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:00 am
I admit to being completely baffled as to how tax policy could be used to mitigate the standard problems brought about by high inflation.
By reducing aggregate demand.
thegreenlantern wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:53 am
If the government isn't spending this tax revenue, what is it doing with these taxes?
Saving them (or else the policy is ineffective at controlling inflation). They borrow less or they buy back bonds.
thegreenlantern wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:41 pm
once you've taxed away inflation gains AND their money is worth less due to inflation ... aren't they poorer?
Yes, but their government is richer, so they have fewer future tax liabilities, so that roughly evens out.
thegreenlantern wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:41 pm
It seems like a very complicated way to achieve the same effect
It's usually less desirable than to use monetary policy, but it's not more complicated.