Dubai claims another victim

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Dubai claims another victim

Post by BulletPark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:02 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/ ... -on-flight

Could anyone remind me why anyone would visit this toxic shithole?

Is there really a dearth of shitty shopping malls, 20-lane superhighways, gay-bashing, racism, sexism and highly inflammable buildings worldwide that makes this place irresistible?

Higgs Bossom
Stew Ingredient

Re: Dubai claims another victim

Post by Higgs Bossom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:37 pm

I feel for the child. I don't have much sympathy for the mother.

And I agree as to why anyone would want to visit that shithole.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Weird. You can buy alcohol all over Dubai.
I am Stalking you.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm

She filmed him on her phone as evidence of his behaviour before learning this was an offence
I think filming customs/immigration officials in an airport is prohibited everywhere and that there is conspicuous signage making people aware that it is prohibited. She is an idiot.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:19 pm

You’re not allowed to use your phone in a security controlled section of an airport, let alone film the guy questioning you. But, as Felix said above, alcohol is available all over Dubai, even on their national airline.
Hands have been clenched in a fist too long

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:30 pm

“It is wholly illegal for any tourist to have any level of alcohol in their blood, even if consumed in flight and provided by Dubai’s own airline. It is illegal to consume alcohol at a bar, a hotel and a restaurant, and if breathalysed, that person will be jailed.”

Why does the national airline serve something to passengers that they will be arrested for imbibing the minute they get to the actual fucking nation? Wouldn't a brief service announcement as passengers boarded suffice?

"Praise Sacred Allah and thank you for flying Air Dubai! Drinks will not be served as they are the limb of Satan!"

Something like that.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:35 pm

BulletPark wrote:“It is wholly illegal for any tourist to have any level of alcohol in their blood, even if consumed in flight and provided by Dubai’s own airline. It is illegal to consume alcohol at a bar, a hotel and a restaurant, and if breathalysed, that person will be jailed.”

Why does the national airline serve something to passengers that they will be arrested for imbibing the minute they get to the actual fucking nation? Wouldn't a brief service announcement as passengers boarded suffice?

"Praise Sacred Allah and thank you for flying Air Dubai! Drinks will not be served as they are the limb of Satan!"

Something like that.
followed by 'all you lippy western b'arches put these hoods on and get in the cargo hold now'
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

andybox
Stew Ingredient

Post by andybox » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 pm

Once outside Saudi airspace, the bar was open on Emirates Airlines. Some of the Emirates are alcohol free, but not Dubai.
Hands have been clenched in a fist too long

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:25 pm

strife wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:43 pm
Her visa had expired, she was asked to return to the UK, refused, then got into a ‘fierce’ row with the staff.

The wine is a shiny object for halfwits to chase around.
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:25 pm
strife wrote:
Her visa had expired, she was asked to return to the UK, refused, then got into a ‘fierce’ row with the staff.

Yeah, foreigners are generally free to drink in hotel bars and lounges and fornicate behind closed doors in Dubai, so long as they don't make waves. No drugs, no politics, no bad behavior in public are the Rules. Break them, and they'll break you.

I was a bit ashamed of myself for enjoying Dubai.
I am Stalking you.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:32 pm

By "creating waves" it seems its pretty random and non logical, by our standards. If you offend a local you're fucked.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:43 pm

Dubai is like 80% expat, southern Asians, East Africans, Filipinos, Europeans, and North Americans primarily. Emiratis tolerate foreigners because Emiratis don't work any jobs except government sinecures.
I am Stalking you.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:49 am

strife wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm
Argonheart_Po wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:25 pm
strife wrote:

Yeah, foreigners are generally free to drink in hotel bars and lounges and fornicate behind closed doors in Dubai, so long as they don't make waves. No drugs, no politics, no bad behavior in public are the Rules. Break them, and they'll break you.

I was a bit ashamed of myself for enjoying Dubai.
I enjoyed myself too. It’s like enjoying muscle cars or science fiction. Why do I have to like this stupid shit? I liked Myrtle Beach too. Obviously.

And this story is for other people who are in fact genuinely stupid. It dangled too many shiny objects in front of their eyes - baffled them.
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis