Pata negra.
Es verdad.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Food for Thought

Post by korgy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:32 am

VinnyD wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:03 pm
When did capicola become upscale? Is mortadella also upscale these days?

I wonder if the Brooks anecdote is true. If so, like most Brooks anecdotes, it only tells us something about David Brooks, and nothing about the world..
agree on both counts.

funny, was listening to Leonard Lopate interviewing Luigi DiPalo, expert on Italian food specialties and owner of the century old iconic Italian cheese and specialties store in Little Italy, DiPalo's, started by his family over 100 years ago -- and discussing prosciutto, parmesan cheese etc --and how the store started when Italians were flooding into that part of Manhattan a century ago. the notion that these foods would have been considered elitist is pretty funny.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/ ... 9c372c739f
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Usher73
Stew Ingredient

Post by Usher73 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:12 am

Old but good

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 am

There are several Southern Italian vegetarian pasta dished that were deemed only for the poor once, but have over time have become very popular because they are so tasty, and now it would strike some as being quite strange and very funny that they would be served in really up-market restaurant's.
'There are plenty of people out there'..................Donald Trump

Free American Joe!!!

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:12 am

I grew up eating Italian cured meats, but I prefer Spanish ones - cheese, too. Wish I could eat more Mexican, but that option is rare here. There is some good sushi, though.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:26 am

jedgarandclyde wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 am
There are several Southern Italian vegetarian pasta dished that were deemed only for the poor once, but have over time have become very popular because they are so tasty, and now it would strike some as being quite strange and very funny that they would be served in really up-market restaurant's.
My brother the ex chef says the profit margin in Italian dishes is huge.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am

WHAT is soppressata? Google searches for the Italian meat surged last week, thanks to a column by David Brooks in the New York Times
Which is evidence that a large number of NY Times readers don't know what soppressata is. What does that indicate from a sociological point of view?

I say not much.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:28 pm

I have done my bit to paint a few middle class signifiers on to the kid. She's eaten every piece of sushi on the menu, been to the symphony, and taught not to dress like a bar girl.

It def has helped her get higher class waitress jobs and attract more $$$$'d male attention. I benefited from a similar uplift by having an English mother who read to me a lot.

Classes are squishy and interloping between them is easier than you usually hear.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:42 pm

jedgarandclyde wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:28 am
Pizza falls into that category. It was poverty food. So much so that Sophia Loren was embarrassed on her first trip to the US when she saw everybody eating pizza.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm

It's funny; the kid is now the assistant manager of a high end (excuse me, artisanal) pizza place pretty much because she knew the diff between calabrese and banana peppers. And she had eaten an olive in her lifetime.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:29 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:46 pm
she knew the diff between calabrese and banana peppers.
heh
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Steve_in_Exile
Stew Ingredient

Post by Steve_in_Exile » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 am

VinnyD wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am
WHAT is soppressata? Google searches for the Italian meat surged last week, thanks to a column by David Brooks in the New York Times
Which is evidence that a large number of NY Times readers don't know what soppressata is. What does that indicate from a sociological point of view?

I say not much.
My Italian born and raised wife said "Never heard of it".

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:28 am

My guess as to what soppressatta is, since I used to know but have forgotten.

a fermented pork forcemeat distinguished by a rougher grain in the grind, a largely casing size, and the presence of whole black pepper corns.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.