The Nation magazine apologizes for a poem and retracts it

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Re: The Nation magazine apologizes for a poem and retracts it

Post by Ped_Yai » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:16 pm

The car turned from Fifth Avenue and pulled up in front of the Metrolite, one of New York's newest hotels.

The attendant opened the door and Vincent stepped to the sidewalk. Then he opened the front door of the limousine and accosted the Negro chauffeur.
"Was this where you were told to bring me?" he asked.
"Yes, suh," replied the chauffeur. "Whah's de uddah man?"
"He left the car when the taxi nearly bumped us."
The chauffeur's eyes opened widely.

"Lawdy, sah, Ah didn't even stop at dat time."

Vincent looked at the man intently. He could see that the chauffeur was actually astonished. He put another question.

"Whose car is this?"

"Don't say nuthin', boss," pleaded the chauffeur. "Dis am Mr. van Dyke's cah, an' Ah hadn't no right to take you men along."

"What do you mean?"

"It was dis way, boss. Ah was keepin' the cah in town to−night an' de man in de black hat come up to me when Ah was startin' for de g'rage. He come up jus' like a ghost. Yas, he did, sah.

"He says to me: 'Boy, Ah wants a ride. It's all right; Ah know who you is, an' Ah knows Mr. van Dyke, an' heah's one hundred dollahs. Ah must find a friend o' mine.

"So Ah drives him all ovah, an' as we crosses the bridge, he says, 'Stop,' an' the nex' Ah knows he has you−all in de cah with him. An' he had said befo' dat when he gets his friend, Ah was to drive aroun' little streets until he taps the window − den Ah was to come heah. Dat's all Ah knows, boss, 'deed it is."
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm

Zamuel wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:52 am
Editors do not select material because it is good or bad, they select it because it will draw attention … Retracting it is just a method to attract even more attention. This somewhat obscure publication just got several Million $$$ worth of free publicity with their bullshit gambit. Maybe it will keep them going a few more years.
oh, bullshit, especially the last part -- and The Nation is not an obscure publication. they got attention from the controversy, not from apologizing for it. the notion that they predicted and hoped this would cause an uproar is just silly.

as for what editors publish, that's an absurd generalization. The Nation has a separate poetry editor. also, there are magazines that are purely literary journals (unlike this), and ones like this, The New Yorker and Harper's, where the poetry is merely part of a larger context..
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm

korgy wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:14 pm
Zamuel wrote:
Editors do not select material because it is good or bad, they select it because it will draw attention … Retracting it is just a method to attract even more attention. This somewhat obscure publication
oh, bullshit, especially the last part -- and The Nation is not an obscure publication. they got attention from the controversy, not from apologizing for it. the notion that they predicted and hoped this would cause an uproar is just silly.

as for what editors publish, that's an absurd generalization. The Nation has a separate poetry editor. also, there are magazines that are purely literary journals (unlike this), and ones like this, The New Yorker and Harper's, where the poetry is merely part of a larger context.
Say hello to the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy for me, next time they visit you... Yeah, sure, SILLY to expect professional editors to be able to predict market reaction isn't it. So how many Stewsters subscribe to "the nation?" (show of hands) how many have ever even seen a copy ? Perhaps having been published in Poetry Rags before makes me cynical ?
"Life is not like a box of chocolates, it's a jalapeno. What you do today will bite you in the ass tomorrow."

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 pm

Zamuel wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm
So how many Stewsters subscribe to "the nation?" (show of hands) how many have ever even seen a copy ? Perhaps having been published in Poetry Rags before makes me cynical ?
I've read the Nation many times. When I worked at a major U.S. publisher a coworker was a subscriber. When we published things, we didn't try to generate controversy, we tried to serve our readers with the best material we could.
Lost Soul wrote:I have it on good authority that William Brennan, Maobama's CIA head, will be referred by the IG for criminal indictment.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 pm

Is it honestly so unbelievable that they decided that the criticism was valid and publishing the peom was a mistake?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:34 pm

The Nation has been published since before the First World War, if I am not mistaken.

Edit: In fact since July 1865; founded as a successor to William Lloyd Garrisson' abolitionist magazine The Liberator.

I have never subscribed. Victor Navasky, who was editor during the period when I was most likely to subscribe, had a bee in his bonnet aboutt he innocence of Alger Hiss, which I thought put them off the charts.

But I have read it often.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:07 am

flojin wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:55 pm
Zamuel wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:50 pm
So how many Stewsters subscribe to "the nation?" (show of hands) how many have ever even seen a copy ?
When we published things, we didn't try to generate controversy, we tried to serve our readers with the best material we could.
Yeah, that's what the "executives" tell the peons when they pee on them. So that's one person who's actually read the magazine … impressive !
DCComic wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:02 pm
Is it honestly so unbelievable that they decided that the criticism was valid and publishing the peom was a mistake?
No one got their ass canned did they … ? They made $$$.
"Life is not like a box of chocolates, it's a jalapeno. What you do today will bite you in the ass tomorrow."

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:14 am

Higgs Bossom wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:42 pm
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:56 am
Lost Soul wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:52 am
Reason is still here. It's the local Libertarian magazine.

http://reason.com/
:roll: :lol:
Reason is legit & a good magazine.
It is, very intelligent and well written.
I am Stalking you.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:22 am

Zamuel wrote:
VinnyD wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:45 pm
That the poem is crap is a good reason for not publishing it. It is not a good reason for "retracting" it once published.
Editors do not select material because it is good or bad, they select it because it will draw attention … Retracting it is just a method to attract even more attention. This somewhat obscure publication just got several Million $$$ worth of free publicity with their bullshit gambit. Maybe it will keep them going a few more years.
You don't know the business. Stop pretending you know the business.
Lost Soul wrote:I have it on good authority that William Brennan, Maobama's CIA head, will be referred by the IG for criminal indictment.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 am

VinnyD wrote:
i can only suggest you take your own advice. I was first published over 40 years ago Vinny. I've been "in the business" of Music, Lit, and Graphic Arts, all my life. Like all business it involves non-productive people raping productive people. -And- each other, until they fail and die. The Nation, and every other Magazine out there, is dying. They know it, but will struggle until their last gasp. If you choose to live in a fantasy, you can deny it … for a while.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 am

I am not flojin.

But I was also first published over forty years ago, and that does not mean I know the publishing business.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Zamuel wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:42 am
flojin wrote:
i can only suggest you take your own advice. I was first published over 40 years ago Vinny. I've been "in the business" of Music, Lit, and Graphic Arts, all my life. Like all business it involves non-productive people raping productive people. -And- each other, until they fail and die. The Nation, and every other Magazine out there, is dying. They know it, but will struggle until their last gasp. If you choose to live in a fantasy, you can deny it … for a while.
Your list of credentials is unconvincing.

You don't know publishing, obviously. You don't understand how editorial decisions are made, and you've never edited anything. Stop pretending that you do.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:50 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 am
But I was also first published over forty years ago, and that does not mean I know the publishing business.
Your inadequacy is noted. Lots of people go through life getting screwed every time they take a breath because of their ignorance. If that works for you I don't mind. Some of us do things differently. Business is a game, if you don't know your opponent … you lose.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm

Every magazine is going to go out of business?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:13 pm

flojin wrote:
Your list of credentials is unconvincing.
As an illustration of YOUR ignorance … You have no idea what my credentials are … You've convinced yourself only of the fantasy you imagine.
flojin wrote:
you've never edited anything.
Oh how I wish that were true …

“Most often when I stammer, that's my brain, correcting my grammer.” ― Joyce Rachelle (I've always suspected the misspelling was intentional.)
eric84 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:08 pm
Every magazine is going to go out of business?
Some may evolve, some have … but they aren't magazines anymore. Magazines are really a Victorian idea. Advertising extended their life long beyond it's natural span.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Zamuel, speaking of ignorance, why did you address flojin as Vinny?

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm

what convinces me of Zamuel's cluelesssness regarding this issue is more the fact that he has drawn these generalizations about "the publishing business", and "the business of Music, Lit, and Graphic Arts", which he says he has been in all his life. that standard applies to half the people i know, but they wouldnt be so bold or naive as to claim they know how poems are selected for The Nation. (i also know at least one person who writes for The Nation, btw. )

in any case, your initial comment was not only that they choose poems to elicit controversy, but also the reason they apologized was to arouse attention as well. the poem itself provoked the controversy; apologizing for it did nothing but harm The Nation's cred, considering most people in the same circles disagreed with the choice.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:22 pm
Zamuel, speaking of ignorance, why did you address flojin as Vinny?
The imbedded quote system used here on the stew confused me … the board I used to post on used the same software but was configured without the cascading imbedding … (quoted messages directly followed the name of the poster). It's not really that tough to use this system, but when the brain starts multi tasking attention is distracted … I apologize to both of them … I can see how they might each be offended.
korgy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm
that standard applies to half the people i know, but they wouldnt be so bold or naive as to claim they know how poems are selected for The Nation.
If you don't know how a magazine selects material, you are the clueless one. A poetry editor is going to select a poem, a good one that will reflect well on the magazine (not a highly questionable piece of crap like this one). And he's going to have a couple of alternates (probably one shorter and one longer). A meeting of editors occurs in which they assemble "the book." What everyone has, where it goes, where it gets cut and continued in the back pages, how it fits into the advertising layout, etc. No way does a piece of crap poem like this one "slip through the cracks" un-noticed … No way a professional editor even submits it. Unless the whole thing is staged as a PR event to attract attention at a low point in the summer cycle.

That being said … if such an event did happen and caused REAL embarrassment … Heads would roll. They didn't. The Nation got it's name splayed across major media and undoubtedly scored a bump in their circulation at a time of year when it's at it's lowest. Cudos for all and probably a minor speaking tour for the "enraged" poet, who obviously needs anything he can get.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm

Zamuel wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:45 pm
No way a professional editor even submits it. Unless the whole thing is staged as a PR event to attract attention at a low point in the summer cycle.
you're just making that up because you dont know it to be true. the poet is not some unknown person out of the middle of nowhere, he's young rising star, to the extent one can be in the world of poetry.
That being said … if such an event did happen and caused REAL embarrassment … Heads would roll. They didn't. The Nation got it's name splayed across major media and undoubtedly scored a bump in their circulation at a time of year when it's at it's lowest.
again -- you originally said the apology was just an attention-seeking move.
Cudos for all and probably a minor speaking tour for the "enraged" poet
why did you put "enraged" in quotes? you don't sound like someone in publishing much to me. Carlson-Wee was not enraged -- either in reality, or as an act. he wrote about seriously reflecting upon the incident and he apologized. being enraged was nowhere in the story.
who obviously needs anything he can get.
why is it obvious he needs anything he can get? you apparently haven't even researched anything about him.

you sound really jaded and arrogant to me. Grace Schulman, the poet and former poetry editor for the Nation, has written seriously about this issue, The Atlantic has, The National Review has, the NYTimes, etc etc. -- yet none of them wrote the incident off as a mere PR stunt.

but i guess you know better than all of them, bein' in the "graphic arts" 'n all.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:27 pm

Zamuel is a publishing big shot.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 am

korgy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm
you sound really jaded and arrogant to me.
jad·ed - adjective - tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm

I suppose so … Shit like "The Nation" is a repetitive grind these days, after you've experienced Picasso, Warhol, Kesey, Leary, Cohen, Lennon and other Great Art. I'd ask if you are "experienced - have you ever been experienced" ?" but it's lack is evident. You remain unaware that "art -is- arrogance."
korgy wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:05 pm
Grace Schulman, the poet and former poetry editor for the Nation, has written seriously about this issue, The Atlantic has, The National Review has, the NYTimes, etc etc. -- yet none of them wrote the incident off as a mere PR stunt.
You expect these industry blowhards to tell the truth? Something something … "and all the sinners saints." Okay, okay, I'll restrain myself and leave you with a video that matches what I'd estimate is your level of appreciation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfxAUTG61eE

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 am

Zamuel wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:04 am
I suppose so … Shit like "The Nation" is a repetitive grind these days,
that's not the topic we are discussing.
after you've experienced Picasso, Warhol, Kesey, Leary, Cohen, Lennon and other Great Art.
i have no idea what on earth you're trying to say, but its does sound extremely arrogant, whatever confused point you're trying to make.
I'd ask if you are "experienced - have you ever been experienced" ?" but it's lack is evident. You remain unaware that "art -is-arrogance."
what's with the useless Jimmy Hendrix lyric? serves no purpose whatsoever here. in any case, you have absolutely no idea who you are talking to.
Okay, okay, I'll restrain myself and leave you with a video that matches what I'd estimate is your level of appreciation.
you really are a clueless fuck. you come on board and proclaim yourself some sort of uber-aesthete, and yet have convinced no one here -- most of all, me. you rattle off the names of a handful cultural stars of the last century (mostly pop icons), as if this is some evidence of your prowess in knowledge of "the arts" (your phrase). i have friends who were backup singers for Leonard Cohen, friends who made Andy Warhol's work, etc etc.

what a totally embarrassing dork.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 am

" suppose so … Shit like "The Nation" is a repetitive grind these days, after you've experienced Picasso, Warhol, Kesey, Leary, Cohen, Lennon and other Great Art. I'd ask if you are "experienced - have you ever been experienced" ?" but it's lack is evident. You remain unaware that "art -is- arrogance."

This is one of the most pathetic strings of words I've ever seen here on the Stew, and that's saying something.

I have read the Nation many times. The last time I read it was within the past year, in a waiting room. Waiting for what, I cannot recall. The article I read was embarrassingly bad.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 am

korgy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:00 am
you really are a clueless fuck. you come on board and proclaim yourself some sort of uber-aesthete, - what a totally embarrassing dork.
I have proclaimed nothing at all about myself - beyond a very basic reference to my experience … I do have some, I'm not relying on "friends who do" which you seem to think counts for something. (we probably also disagree on what "friends" are.)

I'm sorry you feel so threatened by someone who actually knows something, but not really surprised. It's common to excite those who lack confidence and ability when entering new territory. Go and find a nice quiet spot amongst your "Big and Powerful Friends" and calm yourself, no one is going to eat you …
Ped_Yai wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:38 am
Zamue; wrote:" suppose so … Shit like "The Nation" is a repetitive grind these days, after you've experienced Picasso, Warhol, Kesey, Leary, Cohen, Lennon and other Great Art. I'd ask if you are "experienced - have you ever been experienced" ?" but it's lack is evident. You remain unaware that "art -is- arrogance."
This is one of the most pathetic strings of words I've ever seen here on the Stew, and that's saying something.
Mostly it's saying you don't know the definition of the word "Pathetic." I guess it also says you have no contextual frame of reference. The statement you critique is a reply, in two thoughts, to an observation that I seem "Jaded and Arrogant." thought one explains the possibility that I am in fact "Jaded." thought two addresses "Arrogance" as an artistic concept. Where specifically do you find "weakness" in them ? Or is expecting intelligence behind your reasoning too much ?
Last edited by Zamuel on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:41 am

flojin wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:58 am
Very fucked up of the Nation. I don't think we've hit peak censorship, unfortunately. I wish this bullshit would stop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:59 am

Lemon?

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm

Zamuel wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:27 am
I'm sorry you feel so threatened by someone who actually knows something,
the arrogant fucktardness continues.

no, Zamuel, i don't feel threatened by you in the least. i just think it is astonishing how you come on board here and lecture everyone about your worldiness and write shit like this
after you've experienced Picasso, Warhol, Kesey, Leary, Cohen, Lennon and other Great Art. I'd ask if you are "experienced - have you ever been experienced" ?" but it's lack is evident. You remain unaware that "art -is- arrogance."
a very basic reference to my experience … I do have some, I'm not relying on "friends who do" which you seem to think counts for something. (we probably also disagree on what "friends" are.)
Zamuel, if i were name-dropping, believe me, my repertoire is a little bigger than having friends who sang back-up for Leonard Cohen or worked in Warhol's factory. YOU mentioned those names. Warhol, frankly, doesnt do jack shit for me.

what i found hilarious was your embarrassing proclamation that you have "experienced" Ken Kesey and Andy Warhol and John Lennon -- unlike the the rest of us, apparently -- and therefore, your personal opinion of whether or not publishing a poem by Anders Carlson-Wee was a publicity stunt is somehow elevated. (???) what strange line of thinking.

if your intent was to impress people here on your worldiness of "the Arts", reciting the names Timothy Leary and John Lennon and Pablo Picasso is a funny way to do it. sounds like you took an 8th grade course in pop icons of the 20th century.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:47 pm

Oh my, perhaps we should stage a Brooklyn Name Dropoff, with a demonstration of Malagasy Battle Yoga as an opening act.
I am Stalking you.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:51 pm

Felix, do you feel sorry for Zamuel? maybe you should go back and read this thread -- its sounds like you havent.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:58 pm

korgy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:51 pm
Felix, do you feel sorry for Zamuel? maybe you should go back and read this thread -- its sounds like you havent.
No, I don't.
I am Stalking you.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

korgy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:40 pm
lecture everyone about your worldiness and write shit like this
like what, replies to your limp dicked protestations … ?
Zamuel, if i were name-dropping, believe me, my repertoire is a little bigger than - frankly, doesnt do jack shit for me.
Well, when these "friends" log on and defend you, I'll take notes. Warhol isn't to my taste either, but he changed the world, and in record time too! Some of us are impressed by that - THAT is what artists do.
what i found hilarious was your embarrassing proclamation that you have "experienced" Ken Kesey and Andy Warhol and John Lennon -- unlike the the rest of us, apparently
No, I'm sure there are many here who experienced them and their art and were changed by it. You are the one who missed it, again this is common amongst those focused on their own inadequacies. But as John Kay observes, "it's never to late to start all over again."
if your intent was to impress people here on your worldiness of "the Arts", reciting the names Timothy Leary and John Lennon and Pablo Picasso is a funny way to do it.
Not expecting to impress anyone, just establish common bonds, nothing funny about it … I'm sure many out there can relate.

My concept of these forums is to share, insight and experience, cooperatively. Unfortunately there are always those like you for whom everything must be a competition. "every rose has it's thorns."

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 pm

Zamuel wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:10 pm

My concept of these forums is to share, insight and experience, cooperatively.
I'm sorry for not cooperating with your ludicrous theory that the Nation poetry editor, "an industry blowhard" intentionally published an awful poem to gin up controversy and then apologized as part of their master plan to raise subscriptions.

Maybe you can find people to cooperate with that nonsense in the graphic arts and rock and roll community where you normally party.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Zamuel wrote:
No, I'm sure there are many here who experienced them and their art and were changed by it. You are the one who missed it
oh really? you know absolutely nothing about me, but i challenge your presumptions about why a poem was published, and therefore you have experienced "Great Art" and i havent.

what a wacko.
My concept of these forums is to share, insight and experience, cooperatively. Unfortunately there are always those like you for whom everything must be a competition.
well. Mr. "Experienced", you have directed the following comments towards myself, Vinny, flojin, and Ped Yai -- so you sure have an odd way of being non-competitive and simply wanting to "share" personal insights:
I've been "in the business" of Music, Lit, and Graphic Arts, all my life. ...if you choose to live in a fantasy, you can deny it … for a while.
Your inadequacy is noted
after you've experienced Picasso, Warhol, Kesey, Leary, Cohen, Lennon and other Great Art. I'd ask if you are "experienced - have you ever been experienced" ?" but it's lack is evident. You remain unaware that "art -is- arrogance."
I'm sorry you feel so threatened by someone who actually knows something, but not really surprised. It's common to excite those who lack confidence and ability when entering new territory
_____

and i have no idea how this relates to your comment about competition, or maybe you wanted to drop another literary malapropism:
" "every rose has it's thorns."
Experienced! he's knows quotes!
Last edited by korgy on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zamuel
Stew Ingredient

Post by Zamuel » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm

flojin wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:38 pm
I'm sorry for not cooperating with your ludicrous theory
You're welcome to disagree. Some people even do so politely … Others just naturally prefer to be assholes.
korgy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:03 pm
what a wacko.
"Sticks and Stones," Obviously you have nothing meaningful to contribute, I gather that's well recognized hereabouts. (see the above reply.)
Last edited by Zamuel on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm

Zamuel wrote:
You're welcome to disagree. Some people even do so politely … Others just naturally prefer to be assholes.
Zamuel wrote:
your limp dicked protestations
hilarious! maybe Zamuel can give us other examples about how to debate "politely"

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:20 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:33 am
I am not flojin.

But I was also first published over four thousand years ago. A little book called "The Bible". Perhaps you've heard of it.
FTFY

--Your Editor

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:56 pm

i dont get it BP. is that an age joke? surely you wouldn't stoop that low for so little humor

or is it a joke about being God? still dont see the humor.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:16 pm

Korky is a renowned comedy critic. Having his sense of humor surgically removed when he was eight allows him to be totally impartial about these things.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:56 pm

So, Moe, can you explain the joke? I had pretty much the same questions korgy did. Simplr age prejudice, or is he trying to imply that I think I wrote the Bible? Or something else?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:55 pm

Spock, tell me your understanding of humor first so that I know how to answer you.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:22 am

korgy wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:09 pm
Zamuel wrote:
Zamuel wrote:
your limp dicked protestations
hilarious! maybe Zamuel can give us other examples about how to debate "politely"
And just like that, a publishing magnate was destroyed.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:28 am

Moethebartender wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:16 pm
Korky ... his sense of humor surgically removed when he was eight
thank god my eight-year-old sense of humor has been replaced by something a little more advanced. yours obviously hasn't.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:46 pm

If anyone (including BP) has an explanation of BP's last post different from those proposed by korgy, I would be interested in hearing it.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 pm

me too. maybe BP himself might grace us with a response