Recycling Crisis Coming to a Bin Near You

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Recycling Crisis Coming to a Bin Near You

Post by Ped_Yai » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:54 pm

I just saw a polemical article on how Recycling is an expensive, environmentally questionable communist scam.

Which led to to more serious articles. The gist of which is that China has stopped buying our trash, and it's headed to the landfill. That warm fuzzy feeling you get when you sort your trash is a delusion now, and NO ONE knows what to do about it.

But part of the the solution will be we all pay more.

China's recent resignation from its role as the world's sh*tpile is going to have real consequences. There's no other market for all that stuff you so carefully separated from your other waste and put in the blue bin (gray here).

And then I found "Talking Points" from the California Refuse Recycling Council, which is designed to inure consumers to the coming higher waste disposal rates.

Because the subsidizing effect of China buying recyclables has flipped. Now the trash collectors have to pay to get rid of it.

http://www.crrcnorth.org/CrisisMediaKit.aspx

CRRC's Media Response to the Recycling Markets Crisis

This Media Kit is designed to:

Educate your cities, counties, LEAs, etc. about the financial impacts of the markets crisis and the likelihood of necessary rate increases
Educate state and local governments on the need to incentivize domestic market/infrastructure development

This Media Kit is available to you and the public so that you can share it with your jurisdictions about the reality of the Recycling Markets crisis. We've been hearing from our members that many cities and counties are unsure about the magnitude of the crisis. This Media Kit will give you the back-up you need, as the resources on the page will continue to be built on a daily basis from all of the press (TV, newspaper, radio, social media) that is being generated.

Our talking points, and yours as well, include:

China National Sword and the impact on markets
The true cost of recycling and the cost per household (what once was a funding stream to offset rates is now a cost)
Education to address contamination to residents (keep recycling items in your recycling cart – but clean up the stream)

There are a couple of dozen links to other articles at the link above.

And just to show you this is not a strictly California or US problem, a couple of Australian links:

http://theconversation.com/the-recyclin ... blem-95231

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/was ... 4zdau.html
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Re: Recycling Crisis Coming to a Bin Near You

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:05 pm

Folks should build more energy recovery plants. Sweden imports garbage to burn in theirs, we have one in South London. Cleaner than coal, dirtier than gas unfortunately.

It may be apocryphal, but I thought that recycling went to China because they need something to put in the container ships that bring us all our plastic shit when they go back.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 pm

The solution would be to focus on the 2 of 3Rs of reusing and reducing. Homer has also informed us that India will stepping into the breech and take away westerners recycled goods.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:16 pm

looks like the stew just solved another crisis
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:53 pm

i agree with eric -- the answer is to waste less and to resuse. i didnt read the OP link, but there's no question a lot of what is supposed to be recycled never gets to a recycling plant.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"