Business Experience for a Leader

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

cuchulainn
Instigator

Business Experience for a Leader

Post by cuchulainn » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Americans seem to think that business experience makes a better political leader. This is probably a conservative idea. Anyway, three of the worst American presidents had business experience: Herbert Hoover, Bush the Younger and Trump.

I would prefer to vote for a candidate without business experience. It appears as if those with business experience are concerned with helping out the finance class at the expense of the general public.

The Financier class has fucked the middle class and the poor. Fuck them and their opinions.

http://www.businessinsider.com/income-i ... ts-2011-10

strife
Stew Ingredient

Re: Business Experience for a Leader

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Filing for corporate bankruptcy six times is something only a true Captain of Industry can pull off.
I am Stalking you.

Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wellpisser » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 pm

cuchulainn wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:14 pm
Americans seem to think that business experience makes a better political leader. This is probably a conservative idea. Anyway, three of the worst American presidents had business experience: Herbert Hoover, Bush the Younger and Trump.

I would prefer to vote for a candidate without business experience. It appears as if those with business experience are concerned with helping out the finance class at the expense of the general public.

The Financier class has fucked the middle class and the poor. Fuck them and their opinions.

http://www.businessinsider.com/income-inequality-charts-2011-10
I think that you need to differentiate between “business experience” and “experience of business” and of course law is a business too. Just not a very respectable one. A bit like investment banking or pimping.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:06 pm

You can't work at a senior business position in a middle size or large company without learning something about leadership, building and motivating teams, effective delegation, influencing people, and the political ins and outs of corporate factions, and working in and around the system to get things done. I think those can obviously be useful skills for a political leader.

But then I don't see Trump's or GW Bush's experience as being "business experience" in that sense. Coming in at the top of an organization is very different from moving up the ranks to a senior job.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm

The goals of business and the goals of government are opposites.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:35 pm

That’s why it’s important to understand both.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:39 pm

Godjira wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:26 pm
The goals of business and the goals of government are opposites.
Their goals are different, certainly (although I don't know what you mean by opposite).

However, there are big overlaps in the organizational skill required to be effective in either.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Business: Selling what people want, but don’t need.

Government: Forcing people to pay for what they need, but don’t want.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 am

vanceen wrote:You can't work at a senior business position in a middle size or large company without learning something about leadership, building and motivating teams, effective delegation, influencing people, and the political ins and outs of corporate factions, and working in and around the system to get things done. I think those can obviously be useful skills for a political leader.

But then I don't see Trump's or GW Bush's experience as being "business experience" in that sense. Coming in at the top of an organization is very different from moving up the ranks to a senior job.
Agree, but there are managers who manage to learn nothing. Outside of family businesses, those managers get fired.

In any case, Trump inherited and ran a family business and his "influencing" people was with the help of nepotism, mobsters, cons, bait and switch, and, I believe, money laundering.

Con men are businessmen. Not just the type we need as president.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:53 pm

birdlite wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:16 am
vanceen wrote:You can't work at a senior business position in a middle size or large company without learning something about leadership, building and motivating teams, effective delegation, influencing people, and the political ins and outs of corporate factions, and working in and around the system to get things done. I think those can obviously be useful skills for a political leader.

Agree, but there are managers who manage to learn nothing. Outside of family businesses, those managers get fired.

In any case, Trump inherited and ran a family business and his "influencing" people was with the help of nepotism, mobsters, cons, bait and switch, and, I believe, money laundering.

Con men are businessmen. Not just the type we need as president.
Yes, sometimes incompetent managers can pull the wool over the eyes of their bosses for quite a long time, especially if the business happens to be making money. But my experience is that usually the truth catches up with them.