origins on PS of "varmints" as Trump supporters

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

korgy
Stew Ingredient

origins on PS of "varmints" as Trump supporters

Post by korgy » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:22 pm

"varmint" has become such a successful, meaningful and accurate descriptor of a member of the Trump voting class that i was interested in when it started. i had assumed it was Felix (strife, Ignominy, etc), but wasnt certain

so i did a little research

there are many uses of "varmint" before 2013 to literally describe undesirable animals, but no political references.

Jan 4, 2013: first use of "varmint" on PS (in recent years) as a possible descriptor of humans (not animals) --

Do you think any old time terms should come back to use?
here, fishface suggests bringing back the term "varmint" along with other words like "bandit" and "fancyman". presumably, he is referring to the use of the word to describe people, (perhaps referencing Yosemite Sam, although Sam was referring to Bugs Bunny -- who was not a human, but a human-like rabbit.) but even if his suggestion was to resurrect the word was for humans -- which is not clear-- it was not meant specifically for Trump supporters,obviously

___

April 5th, 2015:
Felix (strife) uses the term "varmint scrote" in a thread describing the DC Metro:

DC Metro Blows Infected Varmint Scrote

it's not exactly clear how varmint is being used here. "scrote" is "a worthless obnoxious person; a gobshite or toerag" (Wiktionary), or "a worthless fellow" (Dictionary.com). so it seems that "varmint" is being added to "infected" and "scrote" to heighten the level of disgust. within the OP, there is a link to a now-defunct video of a "guyess [with] a good rant about how much DC Metro sucks." so my guess is that the "infected varmint scrote" was the "guyess" with the rant about the Metro.

in which case this would be the first instance of "varmint" being used to describe a certain kind of person.

___

Sept. 28, 2015:
here, Felix uses "varmint" to describe a dog -- so, it doesnt count.
I Just Got Threatened With Death

___

Jan. 24, 2014:
Total Reject pastes an excerpt from Hugh Glass: The Truth Behind the Revenant Legend: "Fitzgerald was the one who had convinced young Bridger to leave him–bear-battered but still breathing–at the Grand River. Where was that gutless varmint?" -- which would be an archaic use of term to describe a human
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=154685&p=3216642&hi ... t#p3216642

___

Feb. 16th, 2016:
Felix (Ignominy) uses the term to describe the class in which Ted Nugent belongs:

"Terrible things are going to befall Nugent for not staying in the Varmint Lane."
Ted Nugent

i think this is key

___

ah, here we go --

February 17th, 2016:
Felix (Ignominy) uses the term "varmint" to describe a political demographic:
"pander to the mouthbreathing troglodyte varmint demographic, such as you and your sister-aunts and brother-uncles. Do I need to quote Mitch McConnell to you?"
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=157161&p=3296984&h ... t#p3296984

___

February 19th, 2016:
Felix (Ignominy) calls Annotated a varmint:
Ignominy wrote:
Annotated wrote:I shit on your grave ... Obamastyle.
Varmint, leave.
oddly enough, the quote appears to have been subsequently deleted -- either by the mods or by Felix himself -- it shows up in the search
search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... start=1300

but NOT in the thread -- there is a gap at 5:25 PM, after Annotated's 5:18 post:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157323&hilit=varmint

___

February 25, 2016:
Felix (Ignominy) uses the expression for the first time to describe the Trump voting class specifically:
"I like to call them Cletus or Critter or Varmint, but I'm not a Democrat"

Voting for Trump to piss off liberals

i think this is the first time this happens. henceforth, the term takes on a life of its own.

____

therefore, i think we can safely say Felix is indeed worthy of credit for originating the use of the term "varmint" to describe Trump supporters. worthy badge to carry.
"Iranians apparently disagree with korgy"

strife
Stew Ingredient

Re: origins on PS of "varmints" as Trump supporters

Post by strife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:27 pm

I want a Tiara.
I am Stalking you.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:23 pm

I also like the words, "reprobate," "miscreant," and "ne-er do well."
Maxwell wrote:Tell me why I should care about ethics when the democrats don't.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:08 pm

I was wondering if varmint, as used here, was a Stew creation. It definitely fits.

Varmint = vermin

Vittles = victuals.

Critter = creature

And what's in the stew?

Let's take a peak in Granny's pot.

Link:

No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 pm

I believe fishface is a she, although I don't know the basis for that belief.

Strife generally seens to see the world through a "my group is better than your group, and I want to see your group suffer" lens.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:29 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 pm

Strife generally seens to see the world through a "my group is better than your group, and I want to see your group suffer" lens.
I just want them to go away. A defining aspect of varmintism is wanting your enemies to suffer.
I am Stalking you.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:32 pm

OK. I was misled by things like this:
Die, varmints. I used to argue in favor of a social-safety net for you. Now, I just want you to die.
I'm actually happy at any misfortune to befall the varmints.
Varmints, just die already.
I love watching varmints scurry about in panicked fistula, before I step on them.
(Admittedly, that one doesn't actually make any sense.)
I love seeing varmints Destroyed, their faces melting off in piles of molten flesh. Assholes.
(I didn't look at the last two and a half pages of results. I thought this would be enough to explain how it happened that I was misled into thinking that you wished them ill.)

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:50 pm

Okay. Leave now.
I am Stalking you.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:54 pm

Thank you fishface.

Before her I remember saying 'varmint round' once or twice, as in a type of bullet.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:22 am

correction: Total Reject's pasting of Nancy M. Peterson's "Fitzgerald was the one who had convinced young Bridger to leave him–bear-battered but still breathing–at the Grand River. Where was that gutless varmint?" was from Dec 01, 2015 (not 2014)... not sure what happened there

i do like the addition of "gutless" to "varmint" in that instance

important for the archives
Last edited by korgy on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:23 am

I have used a ‘varmint’ permit to allow the removal of rodents.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:24 am

You should take pride in this research. You have done well.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:42 am

Varmints is Yosemite Sam for ‘vermin’. Rats, cockroaches, that kind of thing. Pests that need to be squished.
Of course you love it.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:58 am

DC, i assume everyone here knows what a varmint is in the literal sense. as i first wrote in the OP, there are many threads referring to varmints, meaning pests or nuisance animals. and use of "varmint" to slanderously refer to humans is not new -- it is archaic.

the question was about when it originated here specifically to refer to Trump supporters.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 am

Yes. You said. AP bangs on about hating the underclass. Varmint proves his point.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:38 am

DCComic wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 am
AP bangs on about hating the underclass. Varmint proves his point.
your necessarily equating "underclass" with "varmint" is entirely erroneous. i assure you, most of the "underclass" where i live are not Trump supporters -- and the few people i see with Trump stickers on their cars are usually not "underclass".

hope that helps.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:07 am

All the left has to do to win is not be crazy.

But they can’t even manage that.
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:13 am

Win what, argie?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:47 pm

What is it the Hutus called the Tutsis in Rwanda? No, it wasn't "varmint". Completely different.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:51 pm

korgy wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:38 am
your necessarily equating "underclass" with "varmint" is entirely erroneous.
"Necessarily equating"
Really?
Is that an honest, though stupid, mistake or a deliberate lie?

And why do you bother?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:17 pm

vanceen wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:47 pm
What is it the Hutus called the Tutsis in Rwanda? No, it wasn't "varmint". Completely different.
You're equating the likes of RTLM using the term cockroach while encouraging Hutus to engage in wholesale slaughter of their neighbors to Felix's use of varmint here? Yeah, completely different.

Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:32 pm

vanceen wrote:
Libtards versus Vermints in the US isn't really analogous to Hutus versus Tutsis in Rwanda. The Varmints are the ones in power, for one.

"Varmint" is a slur meant to exploit the insecurity complex of a truly nasty group of people in power at the moment. Donald Trump is a clod. He is an unlettered bully, a short-fingered vulgarian with no class. He always wanted to be accepted New York society, who knew him for what he is: a con man. There's a reason no one will do business with him more than once. Now he's getting his revenge, a tear of vandalism.

Donald Trump is the varmint archetype. He isn't Underclass; he is No Class.
I am Stalking you.

WhosieWho
Stew Ingredient

Vermin Supreme Axed Us to be his Campaign Treasurer in 2004

Post by WhosieWho » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:41 pm

Felix is a Nobody, legend in own mind (Dan Quayle version).

Steals all ideas, too! (Clique Theory, etc.)
"This entire paragraph is just repeating Fake News. There was NO blood, NO semen and there was NO Satanism. Delete." -- The Editor

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:46 pm

"Varmint" is a slur meant to exploit the insecurity complex of a truly nasty group of people in power at the moment.
Trouble is it's not easy for an ordinary Republican to know if you think he's vermin or not. I doubt they'd give you the benefit of the doubt,

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:47 pm

Oh look, the creepy predator in Boston who cruises AA meetings for vulnerable addicts to molest.

https://www.thefix.com/content/sexual-p ... n-aa-10070
I am Stalking you.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm

DCComic wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:46 pm
"Varmint" is a slur meant to exploit the insecurity complex of a truly nasty group of people in power at the moment.
Trouble is it's not easy for an ordinary Republican to know if you think he's vermin or not. I doubt they'd give you the benefit of the doubt,
Now is not the time for Reconciliation. Do you think someone like Annotated, arch-varmint of the Stew, will come around if the yoga-and-latte crowd Reach Out to him?
I am Stalking you.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:55 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:17 pm
vanceen wrote:
You're equating the likes of RTLM using the term cockroach while encouraging Hutus to engage in wholesale slaughter of their neighbors to Felix's use of varmint here? Yeah, completely different.

Sure. After all, that was in Africa.

And dehumanizing groups of people usually leads to great outcomes.
Last edited by vanceen on Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:57 pm

strife wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:51 pm
DCComic wrote:
Now is not the time for Reconciliation. Do you think someone like Annotated, arch-varmint of the Stew, will come around if the yoga-and-latte crowd Reach Out to him?
Far more likely that borderline Trump voters in 2016 will see the light and vote for people who call them vermin.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:05 pm

strife wrote:
DCComic wrote:
It's the swing voters who decide elections. If calling anybody who voted Trump 'vermin' is a thing, they'll probably dig in.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:11 pm

vanceen wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:57 pm
strife wrote:
DCComic wrote:

Far more likely that borderline Trump voters in 2016 will see the light and vote for people who call them vermin.
If this trainwreck of an administration continues as I expect it will, a lot of borderline voters will probably stay home. Those aren't the people it refers to anyway. I have family members, usually straight-ticket Republican voters, who are appalled by Trump and won't be voting for him again. Varmints are the vandals who continue to embrace Trump.

Early in Trump's candidacy, before he'd found his base, I was amused. Considering his background (he donated $1000 to Hillary Clinton's senate campaign in 2002), I thought he was a moderate. I was wrong; he simply has no principles or convictions at all. He soon found his base, the people who sent him to the White House.
I am Stalking you.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:42 pm

Principles and convictions smack of altruism. Trump is self-serving. The only shock is how directly he gratifies himself.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 pm

DCComic wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:42 pm
Principles and convictions smack of altruism. Trump is self-serving. The only shock is how directly he gratifies himself.
He's also shocking in how coarse and callous he is.
I am Stalking you.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 pm

I am Stalking you.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:14 pm

I am Stalking you.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 pm

vanceen wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:55 pm
Moethebartender wrote:
vanceen wrote:

That was Africa? No shit? Trying to imply that I'm a racist or something, are you? I assure you, I know far more about that conflict than you do. Everything is the same as everything else! Whataboutism at it's finest. Wake me up when someone breaks out a machete because someone on Political Stew called Trump voters varmints, and I'll join you in petitioning the UN to try him for war crimes.

Frankly, your post is beyond stupid and has moved into firmly into offensive territory.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:21 pm

vanceen wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:57 pm
strife wrote:
DCComic wrote:

This last statement, removed from the context of this thread and taken by itself, made me think.

In actuality, Hillary described "half of them (as) deplorables." Not all of them; half of them. People overlook that.

And really, that one remark notwithstanding, all the name-calling and incivility of 2016, including to candidates in his own party, came from one man.

Somehow, that overriding truth might resonate more loudly by 2020.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 pm

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
What percentage of Trump supporters — say, of the people who show up at Trump rallies — would you say are either sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, or otherwise deplorable, Logg?

vanceen
Stew Ingredient

Post by vanceen » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Moethebartender wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:19 pm
vanceen wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:55 pm
Moethebartender wrote:

That was Africa? No shit? Trying to imply that I'm a racist or something, are you? I assure you, I know far more about that conflict than you do. Everything is the same as everything else! Whataboutism at it's finest. Wake me up when someone breaks out a machete because someone on Political Stew called Trump voters varmints, and I'll join you in petitioning the UN to try him for war crimes.

Frankly, your post is beyond stupid and has moved into firmly into offensive territory.

There are actually intermediate positions between "everything is the same as everything else", and "nothing can be compared with anything else unless it is precisely the same". By the same logic, comparing two things is not the same as "equating" them, although it will usually be called that on the Internet.

I do my best to eschew personal comments on the Internet, so no, mentioning Africa was not meant to imply that you are racist (now that would be a stupid attempt at a point). It meant that I realize there are some big differences between the situation, some of them irrelevant (like the geography) and some of them very relevant. What I was comparing was the use of dehumanizing language in referring to groups of people.

Dehumanizing groups of people has probably not always led to disastrous consequences. But I think just about every instance of mass atrocities has involved the use of dehumanizing language against a group. Generally speaking, it has a bad enough history that I do my best to avoid using it, and I think it ought to ring some alarm bells when it's heard.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:03 pm

strife wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:14 pm
This is varmintry.
yep. anyone who thinks "varmint" is simply a slur for "underclass" does not have a clue.

some of them may be underclass, but it's mostly irrelevant. regionalism in many cases may be more relevant.

VinceFoster
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinceFoster » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:07 am

Time for a Political Stew wiki.

Who want to be on the Steering Committee?
I'm so excited you decided
to come over and beg.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 am

VinnyD wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:43 pm
“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
What percentage of Trump supporters — say, of the people who show up at Trump rallies — would you say are either sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, or otherwise deplorable, Logg?

I was less concerned with Hillary referring to roughly 25 percent of the American people as "deplorable" than her referring to them as "irredeemable".

Because when they're irredeemable, the only thing you can do with them is round them up and get rid of them.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 am

Yup. Run Hillary!, run.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 am

Ped_Yai wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 am
I was less concerned with Hillary referring to roughly 25 percent of the American people as "deplorable" than her referring to them as "irredeemable".
i agree with this. but as i have said many times, one of Hillary's biggest problems was that she told the truth. which is the opposite of how she has been characterized.

i would wager she was probably one of the most truthful Presidential candidates in recent history. telling the truth doesnt win elections.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:23 am

korgy wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 am
Ped_Yai wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:24 am
i agree with this. but as i have said many times, one of Hillary's biggest problems was that she told the truth. which is the opposite of how she has been characterized.

i would wager she was probably one of the most truthful Presidential candidates in recent history. telling the truth doesnt win elections.
Don't use your own money.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 am

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 am

Let me put it another way, Logg. What percentage of the people who show up at Trump rallies are not unacceptably sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, or otherwise deplorable?

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:01 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:18 am
What percentage of Trump supporters — say, of the people who show up at Trump rallies — would you say are either sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist,
i would say app 99% of the people at Trump rallies are one of those things.
or otherwise deplorable,
problem is, i dont think many of them would believe that they are some of those things, and moreso, i dont believe they believe their beliefs are "deplorable".

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:20 am
Let me put it another way, Logg. What percentage of the people who show up at Trump rallies are not unacceptably sexist, homophobic, Islamophobic, racist, or otherwise deplorable?
I'd guess around half. The other half don't mind endorsing the bigotry of their fellow travelers.
I am Stalking you.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:06 pm

I don't go as high as 99%, but I think it's easily 50%. So it depends on what she meant by "Trump supporters". If she meant only "people who would vote for Trump rather than me," then I think, or at least hope, that she was wrong. If she meant the people who are enthusiasts for Trump, e.g. who turn up for rallies or voted for him in the primaries or wear MAGA hats, then I think she was probably quite accurate.

korgy
Stew Ingredient

Post by korgy » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Ped_Yai wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:23 am
Don't use your own money.
to be clear, i was talking about the most recent election. i do not believe there were any 'ducking-to-avoid-sniper-fire-in-Bosnia' moments, and for the most part. she had learned from some previous mistakes. she was very careful about her facts, and more importantly, about the legitimacy of her policy plans. the latter is not always the best thing for a political candidate either.