Theresa May - nearing the end-game

Main Course
shunter
Stew Ingredient

Theresa May - nearing the end-game

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 7:31 am

Has the immigration scandal that has claimed pro-customs union Amber Rudd run its course. The responsibility for the hostile environment surely belongs to May, but perhaps she can whether all that as Rudd has resigned due to misleading the house rather than the more fundamental reason: that of being a shit.

Biwevwr this customs union thing us coming to a head. Pro breshiteers threatening to resign if May attempts to stay in the/a customs union and the lords defeating her, and the commons threatening to, if she leaves the customs union.

How does she get out of that one? Are we approaching the endgame?
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Re: Theresa May - nearing the end-game

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 am

I’m cautiously optimistic that Parliament using its “unprecedented constitutional powers” (Brexit minister Steve Baker on the House Of Lords allowing a vote on the final Brexit bill) will stop this caravan of idiots driving the country over a cliff. We’re taking back control!

Also delighted to see 60 MPs threaten to sink their own government the day before local elections. They just don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves.

Flobster!
Stew Ingredient

Post by Flobster! » Wed May 02, 2018 7:41 am

Aside from hard-Brexit nutters, I doubt that there's anyone who wants May gone before the withdrawal agreement is finally signed and legislated.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:38 am
We’re taking back control!
Haha.

Manning the barricades with Goldman Sachs, Lord Sainsbury, Richard Branson and The House of Lords to defeat the evil working classes.

Smash the Plebeii!
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed May 02, 2018 7:50 am

You sneaked a win thanks to dirty money and race-baiting two years ago, you’ve failed to manage anything other than tantrums and in-fighting ever since. You’ve been a coward, an absolute disgrace. Let the sovereign democracy you pretend to support handle the heavy lifting.

And I mean that sincerely. It’s the economy, dipstick.

brodie_bruce
Stew Ingredient

Post by brodie_bruce » Wed May 02, 2018 7:54 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
I’m cautiously optimistic that Parliament using its “unprecedented constitutional powers” (Brexit minister Steve Baker on the House Of Lords allowing a vote on the final Brexit bill) will stop this caravan of idiots driving the country over a cliff. We’re taking back control!

Also delighted to see 60 MPs threaten to sink their own government the day before local elections. They just don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves.
Indeed.

There is a certain amount of pleasure to be had in watching the brexiters frothing at the mouth about the House of Lords being, well, democratic.
mayhem.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sloths defy logic.

The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient

Post by The Mallard Missie » Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 am

To be replaced by whom? Boris, Gove??? Hilarious and most verily demented.
The Duck Delusion

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 am

Flobster! wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:41 am
Aside from hard-Brexit nutters, I doubt that there's anyone who wants May gone before the withdrawal agreement is finally signed and legislated.
I think there are quite a few 'nutters' in this thread who want her gone today!

and Lukewarm running the country.

You know Lukewarm, when asked to score what he thought of Europe during our most important referendum for a generation scrunched up his face like it was a grey Tuesday and said "mmm.....7/10"

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 8:08 am

Chi_Rup wrote:

Isn’t threatening your own leadership the day before an election, and therefore harming your party and your career, showing a bit of long overdue character - I’m talking about both sides here who sticking it to May.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 8:10 am

The Mallard Missie wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 am
To be replaced by whom? Boris, Gove??? Hilarious and most verily demented.
Doesn’t bear tho king about! And a good reason why Rudd’s political demise is unfortunate. Surely Osborne is young enough to make a comeback!

Milliband v Osborne in 2020 would be a much better contest.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 8:26 am

shunter wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:10 am

Are you OK in the head?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 am

It is long overdue. We’ve been ridiculously generous giving them the time to organise a complete redesign of the British state and they’re clearly not up to it.

We all need to be much better at holding politicians to account. Thinking about that profile of Javid in the Standard, where the best they can come up with is that he prefers Ayn Rand to real books and hides in his office when faced with difficulty, and we let people describe him as a future Prine Minister? That’s how we end up with a subnormal Prime Minister held to ransom by a serial liar, an economic crackpot and a 12 year old boy wearing a monocle. Fuck us and them.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 am

Bloody hell Shunter.
You've jinxed it.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

https://maxkimberstudio.co.uk

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
They just don’t give a shit about anyone but themselves.
If you were an MP I would be going through your expenses with a fine tooth comb.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed May 02, 2018 8:38 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:30 am
It is long overdue. We’ve been ridiculously generous giving them the time to organise a complete redesign of the British state and they’re clearly not up to it.

We all need to be much better at holding politicians to account. Thinking about that profile of Javid in the Standard, where the best they can come up with is that he prefers Ayn Rand to real books and hides in his office when faced with difficulty, and we let people describe him as a future Prine Minister? That’s how we end up with a subnormal Prime Minister held to ransom by a serial liar, an economic crackpot and a 12 year old boy wearing a monocle. Fuck us and them.

Yup.
Well said.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:26 am
shunter wrote:

Are you OK in the head?
I’d be happy with either of them as pm

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 am

shunter wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:41 am
Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:26 am
shunter wrote:

Are you OK in the head?
I’d be happy with either of them as pm
I assume you mean David then.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 am

If Ed had been elected instead of Dave in 2015 then we wouldn’t be in today’s mess. We might be in a different mess; it’s impossible to tell. I’d certainly prefer Ed to any of the current choice.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 9:05 am

Its a fair point.

But if his brother had been elected as party leader, Labour would have actually had a chance.

What a shit show, its difficult to work out who fucked us first, who fucked us hardest.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am

You fucked yourselves.
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 9:18 am

Well, you can fuck off for a start

Bigot.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 am

You've no one else to blame but yourselves.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 am

Do bore off you little twat, seriously.

Go and plate a goose egg and rob a passing mug, or something

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed May 02, 2018 9:34 am

This is like the EU/UK negotiations, Stiofáin. The EU delegation points out that this mess is the UK's creation. The UK delegation responds by pissing on the floor and covering itself in faecal matter.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am
Chi_Rup wrote:
If you were an MP I would be going through your expenses with a fine tooth comb.
I’ve just done my tax return. Hugely disappointing. Maybe I should become a councillor? One of my colleagues suggested it, apparently the local ward is in all sorts of trouble and I might appeal to the gentrifiers.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Wed May 02, 2018 10:09 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:05 am

You know Lukewarm, when asked to score what he thought of Europe during our most important referendum for a generation scrunched up his face like it was a grey Tuesday and said "mmm.....7/10"
Not like the muppets who said it was going to be either 100% awesome or totally the end times.

If that’s what you want, that’s what you deserve.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am

Iolar wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 am
I think the British had a right to expect that, being give the direct choice by their Government, said Government would be capable of following their instructions.

What I don't understand is why this hasn't been completed? Where are the expert civil servants? They are the ones who draft the proposals and undertake the hard grinding work of writing the laws and undertaking the negotiations. Have they all been sacked along with your police force?

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 10:27 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am
Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 8:32 am
Chi_Rup wrote:
I’ve just done my tax return. Hugely disappointing. Maybe I should become a councillor? One of my colleagues suggested it, apparently the local ward is in all sorts of trouble and I might appeal to the gentrifiers.
My dad is a councillor and gets £8k a year from it, so if you fancy a bit more money, why not?

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 10:29 am

Iolar wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 am
You fucked yourselves.
52% fucked 48%

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 10:32 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:16 am
Iolar wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 am
I think the British had a right to expect that, being give the direct choice by their Government, said Government would be capable of following their instructions.

What I don't understand is why this hasn't been completed? Where are the expert civil servants? They are the ones who draft the proposals and undertake the hard grinding work of writing the laws and undertaking the negotiations. Have they all been sacked along with your police force?
I could disagree more with all of this.

It was government policy to remain and the government implementing the leaving us a different government.

The civil service should not be preparing for an outcome that is the opppsite of government policy and j deed an outcome that necessarily results in the fall of the government.

The civil service is now struggling badly purely because they are being asked to do so something that is a mixture of the undefined and the impossible.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:38 am

It is the job of the civil service to implement government policy. Even if government policy makes a 180 degree turn in 24 hours. Even if the government policy is complete rubbish.

Could you edit your post, shunter? I am having trouble trying to understand the typos.No offence intended. This is an interesting subject for me as an ex civil servant.
Last edited by temporaryhandle2 on Wed May 02, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed May 02, 2018 10:40 am

You cannot implement fantasy. The civil service is not made up of sorcerers and magicians.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am

You'd be surprised, iolar.

But you both have a point. If the Conservatives are saying get us out of the EU but make sure we keep everything that is to the advantage of the UK, and the Europeans say fuck off, merci, there's not much can be done, except make a woman your scrificial lamb and blame her when you lose the next election.

That is probably the real issue. May was supposed to lose so Corbyn could abandon the whole thing and get them out of the whole bloody mess.

Thatcher must be turning somersaults in her grave.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am

I don't faith in the UK civil service. It took almost a year for HMRC to issue me with a relatively small VAT repayment a couple of years ago - I was transferred between sections for months, repeatedly fobbed off and their manner was appalling. My dealings with government agencies in the UK has left a lot to be desired, especially the DVLA. Of course, it's anecdotal. But I've had no such issues here or in other EU countries. I get the impression that the UK civil service has a lot of monkeys with typewriters. They will eventually produce something coherent.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 am

That is probably the real issue. May was supposed to lose so Corbyn could abandon the whole thing and get them out of the whole bloody mess.
Are you mad?

Corbyn has already had his chance to show true leadership and put himself out there as a firm advocate for Remain.

I admire certain parts of his qualities, but during the Referendum process was no time to go mincing about the issue.

And to be honest, I am still unclear as to his true views.

What I have read is every serious Labour politician from the past 25/years criticising him for his approach.

And it was in the Labour heartlands (North East, Wales, Midlands) that the referendum was lost!

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am

Too Macchiavellian then?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 am

temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am
Too Macchiavellian then?
Nail on head.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:04 am

Iolar wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:54 am
I don't faith in the UK civil service. It took almost a year for HMRC to issue me with a relatively small VAT repayment a couple of years ago - I was transferred between sections for months, repeatedly fobbed off and their manner was appalling. My dealings with government agencies in the UK has left a lot to be desired, especially the DVLA. Of course, it's anecdotal. But I've had no such issues here or in other EU countries. I get the impression that the UK civil service has a lot of monkeys with typewriters. They will eventually produce something coherent.
That's trivial stuff that junior programme administrators, working from a set of guidelines, deal with. Anecdotal or not, it hardly rates with negotiating a complex matter like Brexit.
Last edited by temporaryhandle2 on Wed May 02, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:01 am
temporaryhandle2 wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:59 am
Too Macchiavellian then?
Nail on head.
Maybe, maybe.

I think you have lost sight of your roots, Dedalus. Never underestimate the perfidy of Albion. Especially the Tories. :)

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 am

That’s bollocks, temp.

Leaving the EU but with all the advantages of membership is something people dream about but nobody is advocating. The original Conservative promise was a Very Tough Negotiation with many conditions but as this is impossible the fight is now between Randian free marketeers with no plan and everyone else, with no plan. The referendum was a farce designed to eliminate a hard right wing within the Conservative Party and almost everything that’s happened since has been about that. The EU have barely been involved.

Take the customs union, for example. Six years ago the likes of Fox, Johnson and Mogg were quite happy to remain in it, outside of the EU, but now it’s a method of undermining leadership in favour of their clique it’s a red line. Utterly shameless.
Last edited by Chi_Rup on Wed May 02, 2018 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 11:17 am

Iolar wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:40 am
You cannot implement fantasy. The civil service is not made up of sorcerers and magicians.
Exactly what I was trying to say albeit with more typos.

If the uk government was able to strike a deal then the civil service could attempt to implement that. But as the eu keeps pointing out - the uk just wants the moon on a stick.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:20 am

Yep. Fair enough.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 am
temporaryhandle2 wrote:

Are you mad?

Corbyn has already had his chance to show true leadership and put himself out there as a firm advocate for Remain.

I admire certain parts of his qualities, but during the Referendum process was no time to go mincing about the issue.

What I have read is every serious Labour politician from the past 25/years criticising him for his approach.

And it was in the Labour heartlands (North East, Wales, Midlands) that the referendum was lost!
Corbyn should have from the outset advocated leaving the eu but staying in the customs union. He’d be reaping the political benefit now. He could start now.

For all the corbynista criticism of Blair for his alleged superficiality, sound bites, media and electorate manipulation etc etc, the Corbyn approach of attempting to appeal to both sides by being utterly vague, is a disgrace. What a cunt this man is. Hopefully his bike will be hit by a bus.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:24 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:15 am
That’s bollocks, temp.

Leaving the EU but with all the advantages of membership is something people dream about but nobody is advocating. The original Conservative promise was a Very Tough Negotiation with many conditions but as this is impossible the fight is now between Randian free marketeers with no plan and everyone else, with no plan. The referendum was a farce designed to eliminate a hard right wing within the Conservative Party and almost everything that’s happened since has been about that. The EU have barely been involved.

Take the customs union, for example. Six years ago the likes of Fox, Johnson and Mogg were quite happy to remain in it, outside of the EU, but now it’s a method of undermining leadership in favour of their clique it’s a red line. Utterly shameless.
What's bollocks? I've made several incendiary remarks, designed to illicit information. Which one is bollocks? And why?

Thanks.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am

Corbyn was as excited as he gets about picking up all those UKIP voters who wanted to fuck up the government. Look what charming people they turned out to be.

It’s bananas. It’s like there’s a Shadow Labour Party in London fighting Brexit and a leadership representing Islington and Twats nationwide.

Your analysis of Brexit is bollocks, temp.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:28 am

shunter wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:22 am
Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 10:56 am
temporaryhandle2 wrote:

Are you mad?

Corbyn should have from the outset advocated leaving the eu but staying in the customs union. He’d be reaping the political benefit now. He could start now.

For all the corbynista criticism of Blair for his alleged superficiality, sound bites, media and electorate manipulation etc etc, the Corbyn approach of attempting to appeal to both sides by being utterly vague, is a disgrace. What a cunt this man is. Hopefully his bike will be hit by a bus.
Is he a cunt? From way over here, he seems to me to be an ineffectual, intellectual lightweight. A bumbling kind of twit who means well, but somehow manages to fuck up eveything he touches.

But I don't get to read everything he says and does.
Last edited by temporaryhandle2 on Wed May 02, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

temporaryhandle2
Stew Ingredient

Post by temporaryhandle2 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am
Cor1byn was as excited as he gets about picking up all those UKIP voters who wanted to fuck up the government. Look what charming people they turned out to be.

It’s bananas. It’s like there’s a Shadow Labour Party in London fighting Brexit and a leadership representing Islington and Twats nationwide.

Your analysis of Brexit is bollocks, temp.
I'm not analysing Brexit, Chi. But tanks for the input. Every little bit of info helps.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 12:00 pm

Chi_Rup wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 am
It’s like there’s a Shadow Labour Party in London fighting Brexit and a leadership representing Islington and Twats nationwide.
Perfect summary!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed May 02, 2018 12:19 pm

Are: PM questions today

Considering all she is faced with, any opposition leader should be kicking her around like a dog toy.

The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient

Post by The Mallard Missie » Wed May 02, 2018 1:54 pm

Corbyn only stood for the Labour leadership as a joke and only won it with a protest vote from others. He is a pathetic, unqualified waste of space.

As for the Tories, well they haven't had any heavyweights since Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine. They are now a party of incompetent nonentities.
The Duck Delusion