What if Trump Really is Making America Great Again?

Main Course
twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: What if Trump Really is Making America Great Again?

Post by twodogs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 pm

On a net basis, the United States went from importing 60 percent of its liquid fuel at the peak to below 16 percent in 2018—and the share is still falling. The United States is now on track to be the world’s largest oil producer, ahead of Russia and Saudi Arabia, by early next year.

IHS Markit estimates that more than $120 billion in new capital investments will be spent from 2012-2020 to expand U.S. petrochemical manufacturing capacity—a result of abundant and inexpensive natural gas and natural gas liquids providing advantages in terms of thermal energy, feedstock and electricity costs. “Ancillary” investments could double that number, the report says.

Previous IHS Markit research found that as many as four million jobs (indirect, direct and induced) could be supported by unconventional activity by 2025.

“U.S. power markets and the economy overall would look significantly different had the shale revolution not taken place,” said Sam Andrus, executive director, IHS Markit and co-author of the report. “The new outlook for natural gas cost and availability has created new possibilities for progress toward national goals of energy efficiency, cost efficiency, environmental protection and energy security. In short, the Shale Gale put a powerful new wind at America’s back.”
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 pm

twodogs wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 pm
On a net basis, the United States went from importing 60 percent of its liquid fuel at the peak to below 16 percent in 2018—and the share is still falling. The United States is now on track to be the world’s largest oil producer, ahead of Russia and Saudi Arabia, by early next year.

IHS Markit estimates that more than $120 billion in new capital investments will be spent from 2012-2020 to expand U.S. petrochemical manufacturing capacity—a result of abundant and inexpensive natural gas and natural gas liquids providing advantages in terms of thermal energy, feedstock and electricity costs. “Ancillary” investments could double that number, the report says.

Previous IHS Markit research found that as many as four million jobs (indirect, direct and induced) could be supported by unconventional activity by 2025.

“U.S. power markets and the economy overall would look significantly different had the shale revolution not taken place,” said Sam Andrus, executive director, IHS Markit and co-author of the report. “The new outlook for natural gas cost and availability has created new possibilities for progress toward national goals of energy efficiency, cost efficiency, environmental protection and energy security. In short, the Shale Gale put a powerful new wind at America’s back.”
What's this have to do with Trump?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:32 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 pm
"The downward pressure on oil continued on Monday as traders considered data showing a jump in the number of US oil rigs, indicating potential growth in US production.

US crude production has increased by about 25% since mid-2016 as producers look to capitalize on rising prices.

Oilfield services firm Baker Hughes released data on Friday showing the rig count in North America hit its highest level of the year last week.

The drop in oil prices is welcome news for drivers, as well as companies and countries that buy a lot of energy. For example, airlines tend to have higher profits when their fuel prices are lower."

-Indira Ghandi

2wilzgood
Stew Ingredient

Post by 2wilzgood » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:42 pm

I have made it a goal to read through a thread before responding, but have failed on three, now four occasions.

twodogs a Russian troll?
I used to feel empathy for the poor. Now I just want them all to die. - ScottBaio
You will die like a dog for no good reason. - Hemingway
My efforts here are wasted - wilz

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 pm

If Trump was making America great, we'd know it.
I am Stalking you.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:30 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 pm
President Trump has lowered taxes and reduced regulations which makes it easier for businesses to do business.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:35 am

Which regulations?
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:40 am

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:30 am
Citizen Baba wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:31 pm
President Trump has lowered taxes and reduced regulations which makes it easier for businesses to do business.
What does that have to do with increased oil production?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:44 am

HIBBING, Minn. — The taconite mines are back in action, factories are expanding and new stores and restaurants are popping up from Grand Rapids to Silver Bay.

Minnesota’s Iron Range is experiencing an economic revival that seemed unlikely as recently as two years ago, when idled mines and job losses battered the region.

“Obviously the entire economy up here rotates around the mines. So if the mines are doing good, then we all do good,” said Erik Leitz, who with his wife opened the BoomTown Brewery & Woodfire Grill in Hibbing six months ago.

A newfound optimism will greet President Donald Trump when he makes his first visit to northern Minnesota on Wednesday.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:45 am

And, more generally, if Trump's supply-side deficit-ballooning economy is working, why is economic and job growth lower?

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:48 am

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:44 am
HIBBING, Minn. — The taconite mines are back in action, factories are expanding and new stores and restaurants are popping up from Grand Rapids to Silver Bay.

Minnesota’s Iron Range is experiencing an economic revival that seemed unlikely as recently as two years ago, when idled mines and job losses battered the region.

“Obviously the entire economy up here rotates around the mines. So if the mines are doing good, then we all do good,” said Erik Leitz, who with his wife opened the BoomTown Brewery & Woodfire Grill in Hibbing six months ago.

A newfound optimism will greet President Donald Trump when he makes his first visit to northern Minnesota on Wednesday.
Mines going into operation is based on mineral prices. What has this got to do with Trump?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

section8
the Secret Sauce

Post by section8 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 am

It’ll be interesting to see what happens as the Fed raises interest rates and a full on trade war kicks off.
This is the only musical: the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth. Right? The brain, more important than the mouth, is the brain. The brain is much more important.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 am

section8 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:50 am
It’ll be interesting to see what happens as the Fed raises interest rates and a full on trade war kicks off.
The wheels are going to come off; it's just a matter of when.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 am

section8 wrote:
What is "a full on trade war" and who would it be between?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 am

It's amazing Trump has increased crude production since before he entered office by raising the world market price.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 am
Why is that?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 am

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:10 am
Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:03 am
Why is that?
Basic business cycle compounded by the fact that Trump is running a pro-cyclical policy. We are ill-prepared for the next recession. The fact he's got not clue what he's doing is already pretty obvious, but would be amplified in a crisis.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:20 am

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 am
section8 wrote:
What is "a full on trade war" and who would it be between?
So far, it’s a 3 front war which will only get worse before it gets better
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 am

Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 am
Basic business cycle compounded by the fact that Trump is running a pro-cyclical policy. We are ill-prepared for the next recession. The fact he's got not clue what he's doing is already pretty obvious, but would be amplified in a crisis.
A crisis being what? Real estate bubble? Oil embargo? Shrinking global demand for US goods?

Firmer U.S. consumer spending and solid business investment are driving orders and output, consistent with steady improvement for the nation’s manufacturers even as their overseas counterparts contend with moderating economies. Sixteen out of 18 manufacturing industries reported growth last month, including machinery, chemical products, petroleum and coal products, and transportation equipment. No industry saw a decrease in May.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 am

eric84 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:20 am
Worse for whom?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:42 am

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 am
Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:17 am
A crisis being what? Real estate bubble? Oil embargo? Shrinking global demand for US goods?

Firmer U.S. consumer spending and solid business investment are driving orders and output, consistent with steady improvement for the nation’s manufacturers even as their overseas counterparts contend with moderating economies. Sixteen out of 18 manufacturing industries reported growth last month, including machinery, chemical products, petroleum and coal products, and transportation equipment. No industry saw a decrease in May.
No industry saw decline! Amazing!

Unlike your links, I don't claim to have a crystal ball for the next ten year. What I do know is this is the longest expansion we've had. (Thanks, Obama.) Yet, I don't think the laws of the business cycle have been annulled.

What I do know is we are not well set up for the next recession: a clueless unpopular president running a ballooning deficit. We should have learned our less on in the mid-2000s. Now, we are repeating it.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:43 am

You still haven't answered my question: If the economy is doing so well, why is economic and job growth down from the second Obama term?

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:45 am

Who is buying coal products and what is wrong with them?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:49 am

And you still haven't answered what new regulations got the taconite mines to re-open. Oh, wait... that's because it had nothing to do with new regulations.
What he said: "I've had the head of U.S. Steel call me the other day and he said, 'We're opening up six major facilities and expanding facilities that have never been expanded. They haven't been open in many, many years. The steel industry is doing unbelievably well very, very quickly. Quicker than I even thought.'"

The facts: Trump's not wrong. Steel facilities have opened up in a number of states this year after he announced in March that he was imposing 25 percent tariffs on all imported steel and 10 percent tariffs on aluminum. And things are certainly looking up for Minnesota's taconite mines, which help feed the steel industry.

But things have been turning around in Minnesota longer than Trump has been president. Mining employment in Minnesota's northeastern arrowhead region hit a low in 2016 — at roughly 3,600 jobs — after several facilities closed down, according to the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development. It rebounded to roughly 4,000 jobs in 2017, but that growth actually started during the last months of Barack Obama's administration.

We don't know whether U.S. Steel is looking at an expansion at one of its two Minnesota taconite operations, but all of the state's legacy taconite mines were back online prior to the tariff announcement.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:49 am

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 am
eric84 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:20 am
Worse for whom?
Trumpiedoodle. The fact that others suffer doesn’t change the fact that you suffer. This seems hard for you to grasp
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 am

President Trump is doing just fine.

"EU trade chief Cecilia Malmstrom said on Thursday that the EU was open to talks to resolve the trade dispute. And on Thursday, the Wall Street Journal reported German automakers may be ready to abandon car tariffs between the EU and the United States in exchange for President Trump dropping a 25 percent tax threat on European auto imports."

This is called a concession and it works in the interest of both parties.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 am

How are things going with getting China to offer concessions?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:55 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:30 am
How are things going with getting China to offer concessions?
China like the US has a large domestic market and relatively low trade as a percentage of GDP compared to other countries so they have no pressing need to make concessions.

China also has a young well educated workforce and can manipulate its currency to provide a competitive advantage so China will probably dominate world trade for decades to come.

I am just glad the US is fairly insulated from this compared to the rest of the world.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 am

You're hilarious!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:31 am

Well, they had better let the Guatemalans in. Cletus ain’t going to be too good at assembling tiny electronics.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:47 am

northern_goddess wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:58 am
You're hilarious!
Thank you.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04 pm

Before I moved to Japan, I tossed out one of my old TVs. It said “Made in USA” on the back. Probably a collector’s item.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Energy-efficiency employment in the United States topped 6.5 million in 2017, according to recent research.

That’s an increase of about 2 percent, or 133,000 jobs, and the jump represented nearly 7 percent of all new jobs added across the country in all employment sectors, according to the U.S. Energy and Employment Report (USEER).

Those Americans manufactured, designed and installed energy-efficient products certified by the Environmental Protection Agency’s Energy Star program or installed according to Energy Star guidelines, the USEER said.

Energy efficiency jobs in manufacturing, trade and professional services all increased. Advanced and recycled building materials and insulation technologies, which include glass, windows and doors, also supported a significant amount of employment in construction and manufacturing — about 350,000 jobs.

Energy-efficiency employment was projected to grow at 9 percent annually through this year, the highest of the four sectors studied. Construction employers expect energy efficiency job growth of 11 percent by the end of 2018, while manufacturing will grow at 9.9 percent.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm
Energy-efficiency employment in the United States topped 6.5 million in 2017, according to recent research.

That’s an increase of about 2 percent, or 133,000 jobs, and the jump represented nearly 7 percent of all new jobs added across the country in all employment sectors, according to the U.S. Energy and Employment Report (USEER).
How does that compare with previous years?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:06 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:00 pm

How does that compare with previous years?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm

Favorably

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:34 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm
Favorably
Link?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:52 pm

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 pm

Ah, you've just been bullshitting all along. What a surprise.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:20 pm

BOSTON, April 9, 2018 ― Endeavor Robotics, the world’s leading supplier of unmanned ground vehicles, announced that it has won the Engineering Manufacturing Development (EMD) contract for the US Army’s Common Robotic System–Individual (CRS-I) program. In being awarded the EMD phase, Endeavor was selected as one of two finalists for the down-select program.

Based in Chelmsford, Mass., Endeavor Robotics is the world’s largest supplier of tactical unmanned ground vehicles, delivering more than 6,500 robots to customers in over 40 countries. Every day Endeavor products operate in areas of conflict, assist law enforcement agencies, and respond to natural disasters to protect lives. Endeavor Robotics is 100% based in the United States, including R&D, manufacturing, staffing and ownership. For more, visit us at EndeavorRobotics.com, or on Twitter at @EndeavorRobotic.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:24 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:07 pm
Favorably
It actually doesn't. Went up 5 per cent the year before. Google must not be working for you.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm

eric84 wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:24 pm
It actually doesn't. Went up 5 per cent the year before.
Does that mean we are in a recession?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:29 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm
eric84 wrote:
It means you were wrong when you said that this year's numbers compared favourably to previous years. Why did you lie without confirming that?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 pm
eric84 wrote:
No, what it means is all of your anecdotal cut and pastes above add up to lower growth than the second Obama term and higher deficits.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm

two — Did you lie or just make up an answer?

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:27 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:two — Did you lie or just make up an answer?
Just like he made up the answers about the mines in an attempt to back up something he had asserted earlier. Then refused to respond when challenged on it with facts.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 pm
No, what it means is all of your anecdotal cut and pastes above add up to lower growth than the second Obama term and higher deficits.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 pm

twodogs wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:29 pm
Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 pm
That’s an idiotic question.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:34 pm
two — Did you lie or just make up an answer?

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:35 pm

A company that produces synthetic EPDM granules will celebrate its American expansion in Buford later this week.

Gezolan will hold a grand opening for its $12 million, 60,000-square-foot U.S. manufacturing facility in the Hamilton Mill area in Buford from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Thursday. It is the Swiss company’s first production plant outside Switzerland, according to www.gezolan.com/en.

The granules produced by Gezolan are used in synthetic flooring, running tracks and playground surfaces. It is a sister company of Kraiburg TPE (USA), which is also located in Buford.

“Our decision to expand in Gwinnett was fueled by our need to meet the current growth rate of the U.S. market, as well as the 15-year experience of one of our sister companies in Gwinnett,” Gezolan CEO Josep Roger said in a statement in March.