What if Trump Really is Making America Great Again?

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

What if Trump Really is Making America Great Again?

Post by Argonheart_Po » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 am

They are afflicted with a nagging suspicion. Trump might, how shall they whisper it, Make America Great Again.

The tax bill has given the economy a bit of a tailwind, most Americans have more money in their pockets, and corporations have greater incentives to step up spending and to bring some funds home. The NAFTA trade agreement with Mexico and Canada likely will be revised to America’s advantage. The president’s decision to punish Assad for crossing the red line that Obama refused to enforce is popular and his decision to defer to his military advisers and keep the response targeted so as not to induce a response from Russia has met with broad approval. His threats against North Korea—my nukes are bigger than your nukes—appalled the fastidious members of the establishment diplomatic community, but have Kim Jong-un claiming to be willing to negotiate a peace treaty with South Korea and détente with the United States.

Then there is China. Trump has done what previous administrations failed to do: forced China to make some concessions, opening at least a crack in the wall it has erected against imports. Majority-owned American financial firms will gain entry into several sectors, and tariffs on made-in-America automobiles will come down, while the United States tightens restrictions on intellectual property theft by the Chinese regime, in part by limiting China’s ability to buy tech-heavy U.S. firms. Even dyed-in-the-cotton-apparel free-traders are now conceding that the president’s negotiating tactic—threaten to bring down the international system, unless it gets fixed—is working. And should have been tried administrations ago. . . .

So here is BT and AT:

Before Trump, Assad could use chemical weapons with impunity; after Trump, he pays a steep price. BT, China could plunder American intellectual property and disregard the rules of the trading system that it has manipulated in its rise to power; AT, it fears Trump’s tariffs sufficiently to begin modifying its unfair trading practices. BT, Russia could wage cyberwar on the U.S. electoral system without fear of response from America; AT, Putin and his oligarch cronies find themselves being cut off from access to the world financial system. BT, the economy was mired in sub-trend growth; AT and his tax cut, growth is up. BT, in the post-war years most presidents projected a dignity of sorts; AT, presidential dignity is not even considered a virtue.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/irwin-m- ... comes-next
“We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” —C.S. Lewis

dBrother
Stew Ingredient

Re: What if Trump Really is Making America Great Again?

Post by dBrother » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:46 am

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 am
most Americans have more money in their pockets
Early symptoms of impending hyperinflation?
I mean all this money they've been printing these last 10 years Q.E, QE2, QE3, has got to show up IRL sooner or later, yes?

Not like it hasn't happened dozens of times before, just since the war even, any country you've ever been to that had more than 3 zeros on it's banknotes it has happened too.. not just African shit holes either, Greece, Italy, Romania, Hungary, Poland, Turkey, Yugoslavia, halve of Asia, all have suffered from it in post ww2 history, can't see why it will never happen in the US

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:10 pm

You got it all wrong. The problem is going to be deflation.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 pm

The US needed corporate tax reform, so what Trump has done there needed to be done. Course he’s pushed the bill for it down the road with massive deficits and the main beneficiary of course is wealthy Americans who don’t really need the $. Timing is poor and may result in inflation where higher interest rates will kill any additional growth.

I support what he’s done with China, you are right he’s at least brought them to the table - let’s see if it is all talk ( like it is now) or actually leads to China removIng some of its barriers. US has caved on NAFTA, will get a few concessions, but essentially Canada has won.

Foreign policy is a joke, he’s done nothing of the sort you listed. Us is a paper tiger in Syria and with regards to Russia.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:11 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 pm
Us is a paper tiger in Syria and with regards to Russia.
Tell it to your heroes in ISIS.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:16 pm

What has Trump done wrong though?

People keep mentioning on how he keeps hiring and firing people, as if that is a shocker, and if it matters.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:18 pm

Having your workforce in chaos isn’t conducive to governing. Scott Pruitt, Ryan Zinke and Ben Carson are demonstrably corrupt, pruitt at epic levels.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:21 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:11 pm
coffeeguy wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:54 pm
Us is a paper tiger in Syria and with regards to Russia.
Tell it to your heroes in ISIS.
Obama destroyed ISIS moron. Trump gets permission from the Russians on where the US is allowed to bomb. What a joke.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Maobama made ISIS; or as he called them: the JV, you moran.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Robot Varmint wrote:Then there is China. Trump has done what previous administrations failed to do:
Given China free reign in the South China Sea?

The 'concessions' made by the Chinese thus far have been far over sold. Trump is an unmitigated disaster.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm

I love that the writer thinks nafta will be rewritten in amerikkka’s favour without having an actual agreement. The amerikkkans have backed down on their most contentious asks so if an agreement does actually get renegotiated very quickly, the gains will be very margInal.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:35 pm
Maobama made ISIS; or as he called them: the JV, you moran.
In Loosy Stools alternate universe, Obama invaded Iraq

You truly are a fucking idiot of the highest order

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 pm

eric84 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm
I love that the writer thinks nafta will be rewritten in amerikkka’s favour without having an actual agreement. The amerikkkans have backed down on their most contentious asks so if an agreement does actually get renegotiated very quickly, the gains will be very margInal.
Got to give Trudeau and Freeland credit, they played the negotiations masterfully and won.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:00 pm

Obama beat ISIS, not Trump.

Trump is stamping out embers, but Obama put out the fire.

Anyway, the Weekly Standard is worse than Fox News level objectivity. Nothing in this OP is honest.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:03 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:56 pm
eric84 wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:52 pm
Got to give Trudeau and Freeland credit, they played the negotiations masterfully and won.
Sure. I think it was the obvious strategy to not even consider their extreme demands. As I say that, there were a couple of nervous nellies like Stephen Harper, advocating we cave in.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:53 pm

I think we can all agree with at least one sentence in that poorly constructed opinion piece.
BT, in the post-war years most presidents projected a dignity of sorts; AT, presidential dignity is not even considered a virtue.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:53 pm
I think we can all agree with at least one sentence in that poorly constructed opinion piece.
BT, in the post-war years most presidents projected a dignity of sorts; AT, presidential dignity is not even considered a virtue.
We can't agree.

Maobama's eight year groveling tour was despicable. And his foreign policy was awful.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm

You are simply disagreeable about everything so your vote doesn't count. Sorry.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:03 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm
You are simply disagreeable about everything so your vote doesn't count. Sorry.
Fascinating.

Care to dissect the Laureate's foreign policy with Egypt for me?

Here's a hint: He managed to piss off both sides. Give the man another prize.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:05 pm

Does the writer think we no longer care that the president is undignified?

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:47 pm

How much wealth would every American need to accrue in 4 years to be considered adequate compensation for the president being so obviously mean spirited, bigoted and reviled as such? Does 10k, 20k swing it?
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:55 pm

shunter wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:47 pm
How much wealth would every American need to accrue in 4 years to be considered adequate compensation for the president being so obviously mean spirited, bigoted and reviled as such? Does 10k, 20k swing it?
I don't care about Trump. I want to see the varmintry eat their own shit.
I am Stalking you.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:01 pm

What is the benchmark for greatness?
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:01 pm

harry_flashman wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:01 pm
What is the benchmark for greatness?
On the stew it is the Sacred Maobama.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:02 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:57 pm

Maobama's eight year groveling tour was despicable.
I'd call it deplorable.
Stay Woke

Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient

Post by Wellpisser » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:01 pm

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 am
They are afflicted with a nagging suspicion. Trump might, how shall they whisper it, Make America Great Again.

The tax bill has given the economy a bit of a tailwind, most Americans have more money in their pockets, and corporations have greater incentives to step up spending and to bring some funds home. The NAFTA trade agreement with Mexico and Canada likely will be revised to America’s advantage. The president’s decision to punish Assad for crossing the red line that Obama refused to enforce is popular and his decision to defer to his military advisers and keep the response targeted so as not to induce a response from Russia has met with broad approval. His threats against North Korea—my nukes are bigger than your nukes—appalled the fastidious members of the establishment diplomatic community, but have Kim Jong-un claiming to be willing to negotiate a peace treaty with South Korea and détente with the United States.

Then there is China. Trump has done what previous administrations failed to do: forced China to make some concessions, opening at least a crack in the wall it has erected against imports. Majority-owned American financial firms will gain entry into several sectors, and tariffs on made-in-America automobiles will come down, while the United States tightens restrictions on intellectual property theft by the Chinese regime, in part by limiting China’s ability to buy tech-heavy U.S. firms. Even dyed-in-the-cotton-apparel free-traders are now conceding that the president’s negotiating tactic—threaten to bring down the international system, unless it gets fixed—is working. And should have been tried administrations ago. . . .

So here is BT and AT:

Before Trump, Assad could use chemical weapons with impunity; after Trump, he pays a steep price. BT, China could plunder American intellectual property and disregard the rules of the trading system that it has manipulated in its rise to power; AT, it fears Trump’s tariffs sufficiently to begin modifying its unfair trading practices. BT, Russia could wage cyberwar on the U.S. electoral system without fear of response from America; AT, Putin and his oligarch cronies find themselves being cut off from access to the world financial system. BT, the economy was mired in sub-trend growth; AT and his tax cut, growth is up. BT, in the post-war years most presidents projected a dignity of sorts; AT, presidential dignity is not even considered a virtue.

https://www.weeklystandard.com/irwin-m- ... comes-next
Trust me he is not. In January the yield on the S&P 500 dipped below the 2 year bond yield and the long bond yield is about to invert. I strongly believe that Trump is right to borrow long and low to rebuild AmeriKKKas infrastructure but I fear pork barreling will build the wrong things in the wrong places.

4th quarter slow down for sure although the USA could well be in a recession already -certainly Chermany nearly is as is the UK but in Britain it will be hard to interpret the figures because of the Beast ftom the East.

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:12 am

Making America Great Again is about the same as all those other broken promises in his election campaign, remember getting Mexico to pay for his wall, about putting Hillary in jail, giving all those millions of folks their jobs back and all those other things he will do when he becomes President?

Of course he is not Making America Great Again, only in the minds of the brainwashed and the non-thinkers he is.
No signature for you!

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 am

He put Baba out of a job. MAGA
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:37 am

Lost Soul wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:31 am
He put Baba out of a job. MAGA
Keep telling yourself that. I’ve never been laid off or fired in my life.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:38 am

Increase unemployment. MAGA. Varmintmong talk. Why don't you varmints naturally deselect quicker?
I am Stalking you.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:54 am

Before Trump, Assad could use chemical weapons with impunity; after Trump, he pays a steep price
yeah, such a steep price that he allegedly used chemical weapons again.
DCComic "3000 dead Americans is slightly less than fuck all",

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 am

I like the "allegedly" polar. You're learning.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:51 am

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-43850979
I
n a press release, the OPCW said its team had visited one of the two sites reportedly bombed in Douma on 7 April.

The unspecified samples will be sent to the OPCW Laboratory in Rijswijk, a suburb of The Hague, and then analysed by designated labs, the agency said.

Other information and "materials" have also been collected by the inspectors, it said.

An ITV News correspondent recorded the return of the OPCW convoy to Damascus.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:05 am

Trumps made Assad pay, asking the Russians nicely where the US is allowed to bomb.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm

The monthly Employment Situation Report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released this morning shows that nonfarm payroll employment rose by 103,000 in March. Paired with even stronger job growth in January and February, March’s numbers imply that average monthly job growth for 2018 is 202,000, well above the 182,000 average monthly change in 2017. More than 2.5 million jobs have been added to the economy since President Trump took office in January 2017 and nearly 3 million have been added since his election in November 2016.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:14 pm

Nice spin, for poor monthly job numbers. Amazing how easy you trump suckers are manipulated.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:51 pm
The monthly Employment Situation Report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) released this morning shows that nonfarm payroll employment rose by 103,000 in March. Paired with even stronger job growth in January and February, March’s numbers imply that average monthly job growth for 2018 is 202,000, well above the 182,000 average monthly change in 2017. More than 2.5 million jobs have been added to the economy since President Trump took office in January 2017 and nearly 3 million have been added since his election in November 2016.
Job growth in 2017 was the lowest it had been in six years.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:12 pm

We will have to wait seven more years to get an average but comparing Obama"s first year to Trump's first year Trump is clearly ahead.

Posted by John Kartch on Friday, June 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM PERMALINK

The U.S. has lost 2.2 million jobs since President Barack Obama took office. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the total number of jobs nationwide fell from 134.3 million at the end of January to 132.2 million at the end of May.

The unemployment rate now stands at 9.4 percent, up from 7.6 percent at the end of January.

“I think my initial measure of success is creating or saving 4 million jobs,” said President Obama on February 9.

Monthly job losses reported by the BLS are as follows:

Feb: 651,000
Mar: 663,000
Apr: 539,000
May: 345,000
Total: 2,198,000

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:13 pm

but comparing Obama"s first year to Trump's first year Trump is clearly ahead.
Now, there's some cherrypicking for ya.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:14 pm

eric84 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:13 pm
but comparing Obama"s first year to Trump's first year Trump is clearly ahead.
Now, there's some cherrypicking for ya.
Ha! Indeed.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm

TD
Posted by John Kartch on Friday, June 5th, 2009, 10:10 AM PERMALINK

The U.S. has lost 2.2 million jobs since President Barack Obama took office. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the total number of jobs nationwide fell from 134.3 million at the end of January to 132.2 million at the end of May.

The unemployment rate now stands at 9.4 percent, up from 7.6 percent at the end of January.
What is the difference between the economy of 2008 and the economy of 2016?

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 pm

What if Lord Trump Destroys HIV and makes everything MOAR GOODER?

I'll be pleased. I'm not holding my breath.
I am Stalking you.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 pm

In other words, what twodogs is saying was Obama was a runaway success compared to W.

It's funny how they keep changing these metrics on us. When Obama was in office the key stat for them was labor force participation rate.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm

polardude1 wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm
Job growth was the strongest since President Trump’s election, with 313,000 jobs created in the month of February. The non-stop job creation since the election has yielded 2.9 million jobs. For the fifth month in a row, the unemployment rate remained at 4.1%, a 17-year low. Goods-producing industries such as manufacturing, mining and logging, and construction collectively had the highest month-to-month growth since 1998. These were among many sectors experiencing significant growth.
“President Trump’s tax reform continues to boost economic confidence with more than 400 companies handing out bonuses, raises, or other benefits to more than 4 million Americans. Today’s report shows that average hourly earnings significantly increased in February and have increased by 2.6% over the last year. We saw positive movement in the labor force participation rate, and we would like to see that continue over the coming months.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:22 pm

I remember when the deficit was of utmost importance to people like twodogs.

polardude1
Stew Ingredient

Post by polardude1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:29 pm

twodogs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:20 pm

polardude1 wrote: ↑
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 pm
You forgot to answer the question

ASQ
Stew Ingredient

Post by ASQ » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:31 pm

most Americans have more money in their pockets
Not really. Gas prices, groceries and insurance premiums are a lot higher than two years ago.

Forgot to add that rent has been rising by double digit numbers in a lot of cities
Last edited by ASQ on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Post by twodogs » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:32 pm

Obama has raised the debt more than all previous presidents combined.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:33 pm

Which, of course, means Trumpiedoodle is reducing the debt during prosperous times. Right, 2dogs?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:35 pm

twodogs wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:32 pm
Obama has raised the debt more than all previous presidents combined.

Yes, in nominal dollars, which doesn't say much.

You'll notice the deficit goes down and then goes up from 2016 to 2017.

What happened? Why are we running such a huge deficit if the economy is booming?