Teacher of the Year

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Teacher of the Year

Post by Logg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:34 pm

So, there's an active school shooter situation going on in Florida, and the district superintendent gave a press conference where he mentioned that before the tragedy of the shooting the day had started on a positive note because they had just got done awarding a new Toyota Camry to the Teacher of the Year.

Since when is Teacher of the Year something that comes with cash value prizes?

Is this an indicator of a shitty school district, where positive messages need to be reinforced with positive signals while test scores continue to plummet and student violence continues to grow, and students (and teachers) are rewarded just for showing up?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Re: Teacher of the Year

Post by Lost Soul » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:40 pm

I think it's a method of motivating job-for-life government employees to actually put effort into their jobs.

But I'm sure that logic breaks down in the choosing aspect of the award. It probably goes to the hardest working volunteer at the local Dumbocrat party office.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

I suspect you're at least half right.

I would be curious to find out how a teacher gets awarded a brand new car, especially when there's always a chronic shortage of funds for everything school related.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:44 pm

Broward seems a bit poorer than the country as a whole, but not by all that much. Test scores have been going up nationally for a while, particularly for minority kids. (Not something you’ll hear in the media.)

Without knowing the particulars, this seems more along the conservative lines of rewarding “good” teachers financially based on test scores.

Thoughts out to the victims and families of the shooting.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm

Logg wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:43 pm

I would be curious to find out how a teacher gets awarded a brand new car, especially when there's always a chronic shortage of funds for everything school related.
It may be a promo donation by a local car dealer.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:45 pm
Logg wrote:

It may be a promo donation by a local car dealer.
That's sort of what I suspected, although it's Floriduh. For all we know, they shook the kids down for their lunch money.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 pm

The problem: If you're a good teacher, you'd be a better something else; better paid, better treated. I was a pretty good teacher, for example.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm

I may have been wrong about basing them on test scores, but I'm right they didn't fork over the money themselves:
The Caliber Awards presenting sponsor is BrightStar Credit Union. Also supporting the Caliber Awards are platinum sponsors Aetna and Bank of America; silver sponsors After School Programs, Inc. (ASP), Broward Principals’ and Assistants’ Association (BPAA), Nova Southeastern University – Abraham S. Fischler School of Education, Office Depot, Pearson, PNC Bank and Sunshine Child Programs; and bronze sponsors CEI Staffing, The Corradino Group, Herff Jones and Spectrum Tours.

The Broward Education Foundation and Toyota of North Miami will provide a 2018 Toyota Camry SE to the 2018 Caliber Awards Teacher of the Year.
Tough for me to get exercised about it. My sister-in-law makes $110k/year in an elite public school system.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:53 pm

BeatRaven wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:51 pm
The problem: If you're a good teacher, you'd be a better something else; better paid, better treated. I was a pretty good teacher, for example.
You'd probably be better paid elsewhere. Teaching is a default for a lot of people, but for others it's exactly what they want to do.

How many retards make six figures in finance and banking?

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 pm

I think it's a fairly gross prize, but possibly little Timmy just got shot in the face by an NRA freedom-loving hero, so possibly this isn't the time to get all pissy about it.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Citizen Baba wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:52 pm
I may have been wrong about basing them on test scores, but I'm right they didn't fork over the money themselves:
The Caliber Awards presenting sponsor is BrightStar Credit Union. Also supporting the Caliber Awards are platinum sponsors Aetna and Bank of America; silver sponsors After School Programs, Inc. (ASP), Broward Principals’ and Assistants’ Association (BPAA), Nova Southeastern University – Abraham S. Fischler School of Education, Office Depot, Pearson, PNC Bank and Sunshine Child Programs; and bronze sponsors CEI Staffing, The Corradino Group, Herff Jones and Spectrum Tours.

The Broward Education Foundation and Toyota of North Miami will provide a 2018 Toyota Camry SE to the 2018 Caliber Awards Teacher of the Year.
Tough for me to get exercised about it. My sister-in-law makes $110k/year in an elite public school system.
By the way, I've gotten a decent amount of cash out of PNC over the years. Good on them.

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:02 pm

Thanks, CB, I was wondering if it was something like that.

Good intentions, but I wonder about the messaging. "Hey, you've dedicated yourself to a relatively low paying job because you like helping people more than you like material objects, so congratulations, you win a new car!"

How about a scholarship for someone from that district in your name instead?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm

I thought this was going to be about Sarah Fowlkes, and that bunny outfit photo.
Last edited by Stephen_Dedalus on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm

That would indeed seems to be the more appropriate prize - or perhaps equipment for whatever class that teacher is teaching (that way all the student share in the good fortune and the prize can then be "transferred" to subsequent classes as well).

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:08 pm

The most favored niece in the family just packed in her teaching job to groom dogs. She lasted 2 years. Yep, she's making more $$$$.

I def. like the Hunger Games aspect of making teachers fight over a car via teaching the kids how to game their tests.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:10 pm

The median teacher salary in Broward is about $45k. While teachers do indeed agree to a low-paying career, it doesn't mean they aren't at all income-motivated. They aren't monks. A $20k car for one of them per year may boost overall morale ("teachers are appreciated"), and it's much cheaper than giving every teacher a raise.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm

One other thing to keep in mind is a car award can be a big local media event. That's essentially what the donors are paying for.

leela
Stew Ingredient

Post by leela » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 pm

BulletPark wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm
That would indeed seems to be the more appropriate prize - or perhaps equipment for whatever class that teacher is teaching (that way all the student share in the good fortune and the prize can then be "transferred" to subsequent classes as well).
How many people working in the private sector would be expected to give their bonus back to the company?
Pass the wine...

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:57 pm

You can make more money in other jobs, but you don’t get off nearly 4 months a year.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:59 pm

Four? It’s two in the summer, a week in spring and a week at Christmas.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 am

Well, two months in summer, which includes a week or so in June. Say nearly 2 weeks at Christmas. Plus, it’s a week in winter and spring. Plus vacation time.

But, okay- maybe 3 months is closer.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am

That’s for the US. I get 7 weeks in summer, then 2 at New Year and 2 in March. Then the calendar is pockmarked with holidays and other kinds of days off.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 am

The vast majority of people in western industrialized countries have to get by on less than $45k a year.

I would throw in the possibility of $45k as being a median family income.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:15 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 am
The vast majority of people in western industrialized countries have to get by on less than $45k a year.
In England, maybe. Not in the US. Especially not for people with a graduate degree.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 am

What's the answer first before you poo poo it.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:25 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:17 am
What's the answer first before you poo poo it.
Eh?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:27 am

Were you like this in class?

Shape up, Kowalski *smack*

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:29 am

Were you always this incoherent or was it the alcohol?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:31 am

Are you a bit thick?

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:18 am

Not really feeling the outrage here. It's a shit tough job and I don't begrudge working class dude getting an unexpected perk thrown their way regardless.
SPT wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:09 am
That’s for the US. I get 7 weeks in summer, then 2 at New Year and 2 in March. Then the calendar is pockmarked with holidays and other kinds of days off.
The Japanese have wisely decided that limiting the amount of time that you spend teaching their children is a pretty good idea.
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

birdlite
Stew Ingredient

Post by birdlite » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:47 am

Logg wrote:

Because a local auto dealer donated it

rider5
Stew Ingredient

Post by rider5 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 am

Any low grade employee and above with knowledge of whatever subject could become a teacher. All you have to do is know something useful. The rest takes care of itself. There's really no reason to understand the process of learning. That's libtard hogwash. If kids don't yearn for knowledge then they can be breaker boys. We always need breaker boys.

I don't have kids but my friends that do seem to be obsessed with living in an area that has good schools. It must be because the administrators are good at keeping teacher's salaries low.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:49 am

rider5 wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 am
Any low grade employee and above with knowledge of whatever subject could become a teacher. All you have to do is know something useful. The rest takes care of itself. There's really no reason to understand the process of learning. That's libtard hogwash. If kids don't yearn for knowledge then they can be breaker boys. We always need breaker boys.

I don't have kids but my friends that do seem to be obsessed with living in an area that has good schools. It must be because the administrators are good at keeping teacher's salaries low.
No. Areas with good schools are areas with good parents- ones that value education. So look in Asian and White neighborhoods only.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:12 am

Bullshit, Sloppy Stools.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:33 pm

You lose, again, googoo.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

OnTheBall
Stew Ingredient

Post by OnTheBall » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:25 pm

It amazes me how little a lot of US states pay their teachers. Shocking.

First year teachers in NSW here make around $AUD63K + super (teacher with a Master's makes a couple thousand more than a teacher with a Bachelor's). We also get 12 weeks holidays, around 20 sick days a year, plus RFF (relief from face to face teaching. New teachers get more than experienced teachers but from what I have seen it's usually a couple of hours off from your class a week), professional development days, etc.

Of course, starting out sucks as like I wrote on another thread most teachers start out as casuals, but once they achieve permanency somewhere, then it's not too bad.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:26 pm

You get what you pay for. If you cheap out on paying teachers, the quality of instruction will suffer. Not rocket science.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm

I submit that teachers can't teach kids without the parents active involvement.

My mom the teacher discovered this when she was transferred to the barrio. Most Mexicans just don't give a fuck about whether Jose can read.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm

The teacher of the year will owe income tax on the value of the car.
Baba wrote:(Not something you’ll hear in the media.)
How did you come to know it?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:32 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:23 pm
The teacher of the year will owe income tax on the value of the car.
Baba wrote:(Not something you’ll hear in the media.)
How did you come to know it?
I do media. Giving a car away is much more of an eyeball event than giving a kid an oversize check. Plus, it's advertisement for the car dealer who gave most of the money in the first place.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Lost Soul wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:57 pm
I submit that teachers can't teach kids without the parents active involvement.

My mom the teacher discovered this when she was transferred to the barrio. Most Mexicans just don't give a fuck about whether Jose can read.
You have barrios in Alaska? If that's the case, the best way to give the kids a chance is to throw them in a school where most of the parents do give a shit, and not concentrate poverty.

In my experience, Latinos certainly value education as the elaborate festivities around a high school graduation will attest. If you didn't graduate from high school, your kid doing so will be a major event. My not-well-off grandmother used to give grandkids that graduated from high school $500. I'd say she valued education. (She died three months before I graduated.)

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm

The way I put two subjects together in one posts was confusing. Sorry. CB, this is what I was asking about:
Test scores have been going up nationally for a while, particularly for minority kids. (Not something you’ll hear in the media.)
Where did you learn about the test scores?

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:36 pm

VinnyD wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:21 pm
The way I put two subjects together in one posts was confusing. Sorry. CB, this is what I was asking about:
Test scores have been going up nationally for a while, particularly for minority kids. (Not something you’ll hear in the media.)
Where did you learn about the test scores?
Search on the Daily Howler. He writes a lot about it and the media frame of "failing schools."

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:49 pm

Here's a rather long C & P, but it's well worth reading:

When will the New York Times agree to tell the whole truth: Yesterday, in the New York Times, the week of the professors continued.

In a front-page piece in the Sunday Review, Stanford professor Sean Reardon got a whole bunch of things right. At the end of a very lengthy piece, he argued a set of congenial lines.

How can we help low-income kids achieve more in school? Here’s what he said we should do:
REARDON (4/28/13): So how can we move toward a society in which educational success is not so strongly linked to family background? Maybe we should take a lesson from the rich and invest much more heavily as a society in our children's educational opportunities from the day they are born. Investments in early-childhood education pay very high societal dividends. That means investing in developing high-quality child care and preschool that is available to poor and middle-class children. It also means recruiting and training a cadre of skilled preschool teachers and child care providers. These are not new ideas, but we have to stop talking about how expensive and difficult they are to implement and just get on with it.

If his facts are right, his advice is right too. Reardon also suggests that we “find ways of helping parents become better teachers themselves. This might include strategies to support working families so that they can read to their children more often.”

Are there ways to help young parents from low-literacy backgrounds raise more highly literate kids? We have been asking that question for years. Reardon is asking it too.

Reardon asks one basic question in this lengthy piece. How can we address the widening academic gap between the society’s poorest and wealthiest kids?

The gap is widening, Reardon says—but it isn’t because low-income kids are doing worse in school. At one point, Reardon actually stated some basic facts—basic facts which almost never get stated in public.

Let’s dispel a few myths, Reardon said. At which point, he dispelled two:
REARDON: Before we can figure out what's happening here, let's dispel a few myths.

The income gap in academic achievement is not growing because the test scores of poor students are dropping or because our schools are in decline. In fact, average test scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress, the so-called Nation's Report Card, have been rising—substantially in math and very slowly in reading—since the 1970s. The average 9-year-old today has math skills equal to those her parents had at age 11, a two-year improvement in a single generation. The gains are not as large in reading and they are not as large for older students, but there is no evidence that average test scores have declined over the last three decades for any age or economic group.

The widening income disparity in academic achievement is not a result of widening racial gaps in achievement, either. The achievement gaps between blacks and whites, and Hispanic and non-Hispanic whites have been narrowing slowly over the last two decades, trends that actually keep the yawning gap between higher- and lower-income students from getting even wider. If we look at the test scores of white students only, we find the same growing gap between high- and low-income children as we see in the population as a whole.

Good lord! Reardon revealed a few of the nation's best-kept secrets, stating facts which are rarely spoken in public. Average test scores have been rising, he said, citing the National Assessment of Educational Progress (the NAEP). And the achievement gaps between white, black and Hispanic students have been narrowing!

Who knew?

The nation’s “educational experts” and education writers rarely reveal these secrets. They rarely tell us that average test scores are actually rising. They rarely tell us that the “achievement gaps” between our three major student groups have been narrowing, not growing.

American citizens are rarely allowed to hear such facts. That’s why we were disappointed when Reardon stopped where he did.

Let’s look again at something he said. Then, let’s consider a basic point, a point even Reardon skipped past.

In the passage we’ve cited, Reardon made the following revelation. Trust us: Readers of the New York Times do not understand this fact:

“Average test scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress have been rising—substantially in math and very slowly in reading—since the 1970s.”

Say what? Average test scores have been rising on the NAEP, the so-called “gold standard” of educational testing? We’ll take an extremely safe guess: Most readers of the New York Times don’t know that.

Our public discourse is built around gloom and doom—and steady deception—when it comes to such matters. But doggone it! Even in that upbeat statement, Reardon failed to “disaggregate” test scores.

He was describing average test scores for the full student population. If he had added a few more words, he could have stated some very important facts:
REARDON, REVISED AND EXTENDED: Average test scores on the National Assessment of Educational Progress have been rising—substantially in math and very slowly in reading—since the 1970s.

But those are just the average scores among the student population as a whole. If we consider black students alone, their test scores have risen by very substantial margins in both reading and math. The same is true for Hispanic students. But test scores by white students have risen too, thus maintaining the achievement gaps.
What will it take before the public is told the whole truth about our students’ test scores?

In fairness, Reardon goes beyond the cherry-picked gloom and doom which is normally served to the public. This constant diet of gloom and doom is a massive, ongoing act of disinformation.

Reardon moves beyond the standard gloom. But even he fails to tell the whole truth to the New York Times’ readers:

Scores by all three student groups—black, white and Hispanic—are in fact substantially up.

Reardon moved beyond the standard gloom and doom. He ended up making good suggestions. But even in 2300 words, he didn’t manage to tell the whole truth: Test scores by all three major groups are substantially up!

When will the public be told about this? Who will tell New York Times readers?

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks, CB.

flojin
Stew Ingredient

Post by flojin » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm

In Oklahoma they have moved to 4-day school weeks so that the teachers can work at Walmart on Mondays.
Lost Soul wrote:I have it on good authority that William Brennan, Maobama's CIA head, will be referred by the IG for criminal indictment.

Citizen Baba
Mayor McCheese

Post by Citizen Baba » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:53 pm

flojin wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:47 pm
In Oklahoma they have moved to 4-day school weeks so that the teachers can work at Walmart on Mondays.
Small gubmint.

Why have public education at all. Haiti doesn't.