BRI in Laos

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

BRI in Laos

Post by twodogs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:22 pm

I took a cruise down the Mekong last month and was impressed by the progress China is making in Laos. The number of tunnels and bridges being built to connect China by rail with southeast Asia without having to deal with Vietnam is amazing. Some complain about the number of dams, their safety and the effects on the Mekong but I can't see any fault with the railway.
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

twodogs
Stew Ingredient

Re: BRI in Laos

Post by twodogs » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Once completed, trains on the line will travel at an estimated speed of between 160-200km/h, making it – by far – Laos' longest and fastest railway. In total, some 60% of the line will run either over bridges or through tunnels. Along the route, there will be a total of 33 stations, including 21 by-pass stations, 11 passenger stations and one main freight station. The construction work involves 175.5km of subgrade, 170 bridges (with a total length of 69.2km), and 72 tunnels (with a total length of 183.9km).
More irrational spitefulness coming from twodogs...

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:40 pm

Hearts and minds.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:51 pm

and easy access for the occupation

The Chinese built a bunch of roads in Nepal. All connecting to China and all built to accommodate Chinese tanks. A Chinese occupied Asia is coming, might take 100 years but it’s part of the plan
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:55 pm

Nobody wants to invade Laos. All its invaders have found themselves locked into a relationship akin to a drunken uncle who dies on your doorstep.

Said the first explorer, Garnier: Do not be fooled by the presence of a few brass beads. There is nothing here.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:05 pm

The Chinese want minerals and markets and will want farmland. Laos will send them intensively farmed whatever in exchange for bright clothes, little tractors, then motorcycles, cars, TVs and tech toys.
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

BeatRaven
Stew Ingredient

Post by BeatRaven » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

Yeah, it's a vassal state/palm oil plantation now. A decade or two ago, the Vietnamese were buying it up, but now have sold on. A lot of migration to Thailand these days.

People here should be glad they saw it back in the day. A lot of the border areas like Nan still retain the same charm and even a bit of the art style.

But occupy Laos? The average Laos person wouldn't even notice. They do hate the Chinese with a passion, tho. Who doesn't?

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:10 pm

And hydropower of course. Maybe some of those rare earth minerals will come back as photocells tomsit on a Lao sunny hillside to send electricity back to the motherland.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:12 pm

They won’t have any need to occupy. A few thousand civil engineers with shiny toys will do the job.

Ped_Yai
Stew Ingredient

Post by Ped_Yai » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:24 am

A Chinese occupied Asia is coming, might take 100 years
And when they do, the guy on the spot with tennis balls to sell will make a killing.

Because with the Chinese demographic forecast, they're going to have to invade by pushing their walkers in front of them as they go.
No subject on which I am called to speak is ever slighted, and if a moral lesson or a religious precept can be drawn from it, the opportunity is never allowed to pass unheeded. My constant aim is to elevate and instruct humanity.

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am

And yet I get the impression that the Laotians don’t like the idea of a large and powerful China right on their doorstep.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 am

"The Vietnamese plant rice, the Cambodians watch the Vietnamese planting rice, the Lao listen to the rice grow"
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!

harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient

Post by harry_flashman » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 am

Godjira wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 am
"The Vietnamese plant rice, the Cambodians watch the Vietnamese planting rice, the Lao listen to the rice grow"
And the Americans drop cluster bombs, agent orange and nepal on all three.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 am

harry_flashman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am
And yet I get the impression that the Laotians don’t like the idea of a large and powerful China right on their doorstep.
You’re correct. They like America, even when they have bomb casings as part of the garden wall. Dislike China. At least that was my experience on my trips to Laos.

And was BT is correct. If you went there 15 years ago - be grateful.

mad hatter
Stew Ingredient

Post by mad hatter » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 am

Argonheart_Po wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 am
harry_flashman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:21 am
You’re correct. They like America, even when they have bomb casings as part of the garden wall. Dislike China. At least that was my experience on my trips to Laos.

And was BT is correct. If you went there 15 years ago - be grateful.
if you went anywhere of the track in se asia 15 years ago before it became a chinese disneyland ....
Anyone can go by horse or rail, but the absolute best way to travel is by hat.

Argonheart_Po
Stew Ingredient

Post by Argonheart_Po » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:17 am

True.

I won’t try and see that stolen jade Buddha in Bangkok again anytime soon.

Godjira
Stew Ingredient

Post by Godjira » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 am

harry_flashman wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 am
Godjira wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:25 am
And the Americans drop cluster bombs, agent orange and nepal on all three.
Yeah, I remember being moved to tears by that picture of roti and dal being dropped over Laos.
That's the kind of bold flavor they enjoy in Albuquerque!