Re: Jordan Peterson Part II

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am

eric84 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:24 am
misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 am
eric84 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:31 am
Misery imagines, much like Peterson, a world that does t exist. He’s not getting into brawls with men he disagrees with.
It depends on the disagreement. And I certainly have had fights with men that reasonable means of de-escalation were unavailable. Don't project your being a fucking pussy onto me.
You’ve done this since you’ve become a father?
Twice.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 am

eric84 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:32 am
misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:15 am
I'm saying that it's not going away. I'm not saying that I would like women to experience it more often. That is a straw man.

Whether you think his argument is bullshit or not doesn't make his other arguments bullshit. You guys are picking the peanut out of the turd.

It's cute that you think that every altercation lands someone in jail. Any other scenario is only highly suspect to you (a gay New York socialite) and a wimpy Canadian bureaucrat. No wonder you find it incredulous.
Don’t worry he says a lot of dumb stuff I just picked that one. Predictably, you defended it even though you and the good professors aren’t getting into fights anytime soon.
I think that you lead a sheltered life by choice - and again, you are projecting that onto me.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 pm

A sheltered life would be a world where disputes aren’t settled by resorting to fighting. I think that’s the world most people occupy on the stew. I didn’t realize you live in Somalia.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:35 pm

How does an adult get into a situation where fighting is the natural solution? I don’t get that. Is it the need for “Respect!” that drives this?
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:28 pm

No, it's me pointing out that violence of the sort you're talking about is the act of stupid people. Unless you are a pirate, or a soldier in the front lines, or a paid assassin, or a boxer, or a stuntman, violence is not, simply not, really, really, really not a "part of the male experience" as some form of penis-to-penis communication.

And for this Canadian waldo to bitch because he can't drag "crazy women" into that experience is such a fucked-up cowardly thing to say it surpasses even the whole "why can't we white people call them niggers?" cuntishness.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am
eric84 wrote:
misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:41 am

It depends on the disagreement. And I certainly have had fights with men that reasonable means of de-escalation were unavailable. Don't project your being a fucking pussy onto me.
Twice.
So since you have become a father you beat up somebody twice? Or did they (more likely) beat you up?

Was it just a few pussified slaps and screams of "O, you vicious brute" or was it the full on Patrick Swayze Roundhouse experience? Did you dab on a little ketchup afterward while no one was looking to make it look that much more tough? Was there a moment when you gazed into his rugged eyes whilst exchanging blows and vaguely wondered why you were thinking of biting a pillow? Or did you just realize halfway through as yet another beloved tooth sailed out of your mouth that this was intensely stupid and you were a fucking moron?

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:49 pm

BulletPark wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:33 pm
misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:37 am
eric84 wrote:

Twice.
So since you have become a father you beat up somebody twice? Or did they (more likely) beat you up?

Was it just a few pussified slaps and screams of "O, you vicious brute" or was it the full on Patrick Swayze Roundhouse experience? Did you dab on a little ketchup afterward while no one was looking to make it look that much more tough? Was there a moment when you gazed into his rugged eyes whilst exchanging blows and vaguely wondered why you were thinking of biting a pillow? Or did you just realize halfway through as yet another beloved tooth sailed out of your mouth that this was intensely stupid and you were a fucking moron?
You need some more lube after all of this material. Stick to your architecture thread.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:51 pm

BulletPark wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:28 pm
No, it's me pointing out that violence of the sort you're talking about is the act of stupid people. Unless you are a pirate, or a soldier in the front lines, or a paid assassin, or a boxer, or a stuntman, violence is not, simply not, really, really, really not a "part of the male experience" as some form of penis-to-penis communication.

And for this Canadian waldo to bitch because he can't drag "crazy women" into that experience is such a fucked-up cowardly thing to say it surpasses even the whole "why can't we white people call them niggers?" cuntishness.
It might not have been part of your experience. Neither is sex with females. But that is normal for most men, I'd say.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm

eric84 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 pm
A sheltered life would be a world where disputes aren’t settled by resorting to fighting. I think that’s the world most people occupy on the stew. I didn’t realize you live in Somalia.
I think that the world most people occupy on the stew is the one in which men and women should have the same rights, but they do not share the same experiences.

The argument I;m getting here is the "all cultures are the same" bullshit.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:02 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:54 pm
eric84 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 pm
I think that the world most people occupy on the stew is the one in which men and women should have the same rights, but they do not share the same experiences.

The argument I'm getting here is the "all cultures are the same" bullshit.
No, you're getting the "men-can't-deal-with-crazy-women-because-we-can't-punch-them-the-way-we-do-other-men is bullshit" bullshit.

Except it's not bullshit.

As you are unwilling to provide details about your testosterone-drenched battles royale I am going to make the almost certainly correct assumption that they were episodes of disgraceful idiocy and that you richly deserved how ever many nights in traction resulted.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm

The times I reached violence were definitely ones I regret, but I don't see how that's the point here. That's your ego and your tendency to want to twist the knife when you sense an opportunity.

Your first point is another outrageous straw man in that you seem to be insinuating that all would be well if men had the same potential for violence with women dynamic. WHo's arguing that? And eric is even more of a cunt for suggesting that I would hit a woman.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:22 pm

Jordan Fucking Peterson is the one arguing it - or rather he is complaining that men are at a disadvantage with "crazy women" because the threat of violence that he sees as underscoring all male conversation cannot be exploited.

I am glad to see you think that is a vile thing to insinuate.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

He's right, though. I don't see him arguing that the threat of violence should be there to "keep them in line". He's just describing the status quo. There's no doubt that I've been treated disrespectfully by women because they rightly assumed that nothing would happen to them. Not so much with men.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:44 pm

Good lord.

I'm out.

Anyone who wants to take over, make sure you don't disrespect Chesthair McGee. Fists will be a-flyin'.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm out, too. TIme to go get owned by Iolar - again. I'm beginning to think that you like the flagellation.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:05 pm

Weren't you the one forecasting the collapse of the Australian economy as imminent for the last ten years?

Getting "owned" must mean something very different in your world.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 pm

Must be a slow night for you.

I mean that you reserve a lot of space in your head for someone who "shudder" might have better taste than you - or dare to think so.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:12 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:09 pm
Must be a slow night for you.

I mean that you reserve a lot of space in your head for someone who "shudder" might have better taste than you - or dare to think so.
Who, Audrey Hepburn?

Who doesn't absolutely adore Audrey Hepburn? I don't know that I give her a lot of space in my head, though. I wouldn't need to. She was just a graceful little slip of a thing, really.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Oh wait, you mean Iolar?

Last edited by BulletPark on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

That guy is so in your head. You probably can't tune out the Clancy Brothers when you try to sleep.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:37 pm

Where is he, anyway?

Got a little too close to the potato ricer?

Maybe he was impaled on a restored twiddle.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:38 pm

You switched those photos out. THe first one was a bit lower-middlebrow.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 pm

Those were actually people I knew. I figured I shouldn't be posting things like that here. I thought it was a rather jolly snap myself. The one above, meh, but everything else seems to be an animated gif.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 pm

misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm
The times I reached violence were definitely ones I regret, but I don't see how that's the point here. That's your ego and your tendency to want to twist the knife when you sense an opportunity.

Your first point is another outrageous straw man in that you seem to be insinuating that all would be well if men had the same potential for violence with women dynamic. WHo's arguing that? And eric is even more of a cunt for suggesting that I would hit a woman.
You’re the idiot who bemoaned about what to do about crazy women since violence wasn’t an option. You said that, right?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:08 pm

eric84 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:23 pm
misanthrope wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:17 pm

You’re the idiot who bemoaned about what to do about crazy women since violence wasn’t an option. You said that, right?
No. You're the cunt who said that. And I wasn't bemoaning it since I don't invite crazy women into my life.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:11 pm

BulletPark wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:44 pm
Those were actually people I knew. I figured I shouldn't be posting things like that here. I thought it was a rather jolly snap myself. The one above, meh, but everything else seems to be an animated gif.
I assumed that because they looked dull as dishwater. Oddly, I was always more of the Susanne Bartsch type.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 am

That is odd. I mean, talk about dull.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:53 am

Duller than a few chukkers with dull wealthy kids? I think not.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am

Oh, she's fine for the sort of sexy night out that you can take your aunt from out of town to.

There's a place for that.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:33 am

BulletPark wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:56 am
Oh, she's fine for the sort of sexy night out that you can take your aunt from out of town to.

There's a place for that.
No need to be upset that my friends were cooler than yours.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:41 am

I'm not. They weren't!

I mean, Suzanne Bartsch?

Fine and all and I love a good masque, and she puts her back into it - but we were doing that stuff freshman year for free.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:47 am

Oh that was part of it, but my life was pretty cool. I knew the guys from Calvin Klein and Jil Sander who designed my suits. I vacationed with them. I had invites to runway shows. My best friend was a DJ. I might have even beaten you up on the deck at Soho House.

You were Michael Jackson to the Culkin brothers.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:00 am

I was too busy rolling spliffs at the rooftop of 55 CPW and having UltraViolet introduce me to Debbie Harry and Lou Reed to go to...well, really? Soho House? That British-owned (ugh!) fake club-shaped place?

Oh my.

I'm afraid that was always sort of...well...commercial, you know. The kind of place that was borderline okay for a quick drink. But you saw a lot of...laptops.

NYYC, Oyster Bar, '21, Four Seasons, Island, La Chat Noir if you were uptown.

Pop-up cocktail mixers in condemned buildings south of 14th.

The Countess, God bless her, kept the embers of the Warhol world alive in Alphabet City longer than anyone thought to thank the poor thing. The Divine Miss R. rocked a Langham penthouse like the Poseidon Adventure. And Bret Easton Ellis threw a very mean shindig from time to time.

East Pole is fucking gross but people insist on still going there. Harry's is okay on an off night.

Sorry...what were you saying?

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:02 am

Wait...your best friend was a DJ?

You're having a laugh, I see. No one sane would boast of something like that.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:05 am

What are you? 60 years old? Whatever happened to bubbles?

My life was downtown, but other than that, not too different than you. Except that I was better looking, no doubt.

Not to double post, my friend was a design director who moonlighted as a dj. And he's much cooler than you, too. I wouldn't be surprised if you knew him - or even if he fisted you.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 am

Er...every third person I knew was a DJ. It was a thing. Benny, Lance, Penelope Tuesday. Decadementia was our place, although Cheetah, Eden, Centro Fly (my favorite and probably the last truly great nightclub in New York) were all hangouts. I had a brief make-out session on a bartop with Amanda Lepore before she became whatever it was she briefly became. Design directors? Dime a dozen. I suppose you're going to tell me you also new kewl bans. And yes, you were probably better looking, in that rather chintzy way. I can see you in the men's room at La Tour, freshening up and fancying yourself a little too obviously in the mirror.

Oh man, you always thought. I am going to deep sink this dick in some class A poon.

No doubt you often did.

15-20 years later I am still in New York, living what ls left of that life, and you are in Australia, which you seem to hate and where your gardyloos of doom are met with entirely deserved scorn by the simple native folk.

So terribly sorry...would you like to tell me what a loser I am again? Left the ear trumpet in my Sunday Sulkas.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:33 am

Aren't you just admitting what you said would be too uncool to admit?

I used to go to Centro Fly. Knew people in fashion. Not music. Fancying myself in the mirror? I'm a bit too rugged for that kind kind of vanity. Was married for a green card at 24, so no effort at poon. You're batting a pretty low percentage here.

You are living your life as a gay man lives his out with a wealthy family up the Hudson. I'm living mine of a Dad of three kids in a place where Prozac shouldn't be in the water supply. 9 Generations of my family were in New York. Now they're buried in Zzzzz or moved on. So I moved on.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 am

To a place you roundly excoriate at every given chance, while I make no bones about my love of the both the city I still live in and the valley to the north.

Funny old world.

Let me know if you have any messages you'd like me to pass on to the Apollo Circle.

I expect you were a pal.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:07 am

BTW, long-distanced mutually ridiculous middle-aged prick-waving aside, was Centro Fly not the greatest place in NYC during its brief reign? Just thinking about it makes me happy.

I don't think I miss being that age, but I do feel that kids now don't quite have the diversity of meeting places we had.

Which is why I suppose I've concentrated lately more on the museum aspect/private club side of things for socializing. Hot Spot Du Jour is toast by this time next week but a place like the Frick or the Whitney endures as a public space.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:11 am

You sound just like the diminishing number of Australians who say that I hate the place. You are wrong and so are they. I wish that I wasn't chained to Melbourne, but that's life.

Anyway, if I sell my company I'll be leaving Melbourne. There are a lot of nice places in Australia, but the amenity here is largely diminished.

Centro Fly was a great place, but as you say, that age in itself makes me cringe in my now 40+ body.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:21 am

I feel fortunate that I had a good crowd to go with - but the art, the vibe, the music, the different dance floors - I thought it was magical. I wish I had the metabolism and the energy level (and waistline) i did back in my heyday, but I don't regret moving on. It was a great episode, though.

I remember having a drink in the back bar with a very cute proto-hipster photographer from Los Angeles who was an outlier to our set. We were chatting away about his work when suddenly he started laughing. I asked him what was so funny.

"I just realized that there are a thousand people in LA right now trying to write this scene." he said.

These days it;s more about education for children at risk and water reclamation in the Bronx and restoring a historic forest in Prospect Park. And that's all good.

But I did enjoy the glamour for its own sake.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 am

BTW, what's so wrong with Melbourne? I think I'd prefer it to nearly any other city in Australia. And they don't seem to do Hudson River Valley type outlying areas.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 am

BulletPark wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:23 am
BTW, what's so wrong with Melbourne? I think I'd prefer it to nearly any other city in Australia. And they don't seem to do Hudson River Valley type outlying areas.
It's incredibly expensive and far too crowded for the existing infrastructure - and the government is doing it's level best on both sides to keep the people pouring in so that the economy looks like growth when it's actually worse for the existing punter. This wasn't always the case. The outer areas are ghettos until you reach some nice towns that grew organically, so you'd have to go somewhere like the Bellarine Peninsula to have the lifestyle.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 am

Not familiar with it, but is there an equivalent to Westchester, Dutchess, the Catskills and upstate in general? I always consider that the safety valve for me.

It looked as if there was a low-rise sector adjacent to downtown north of the city that was a version of Brownstone Brooklyn, but never saw it in person.

Also...more crowded than New York? I know you left, but was it because of that?

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:40 am

BulletPark wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:49 am
Not familiar with it, but is there an equivalent to Westchester, Dutchess, the Catskills and upstate in general? I always consider that the safety valve for me.

It looked as if there was a low-rise sector adjacent to downtown north of the city that was a version of Brownstone Brooklyn, but never saw it in person.

Also...more crowded than New York? I know you left, but was it because of that?
I left Manhattan because we had twin babies. We were considering PLG or moving back to Australia. I had just had enough of the weather at this stage, especially pushing a stroller around.

You're probably thinking of Carlton in the inner north. I lived there 20+ years ago because it was close to the university and I liked it very much at the time. There is a lot of nice rowhouse stock, but it's nothing like Brownstone Brooklyn. Plus, I wanted to live near the water. All of these places are horrendously expensive. No version of the Westchester (certainly anything near the rail all of the way up to Chappaqua) or Dutchess. One might consider Eltham (quickly becoming commercialized in an ugly way) and getting all of out to the Dandenongs as akin to the Catskills - but no river, bay or city.

I don't need to leave the country, but I'd like to be on the bay or ocean. And hopefully with a lot of money.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 am

I went to Centro Fly, back in 1999 or so. If this hayseed hick from the Midwest found it, it must've sucked.
I am Stalking you.

misanthrope
Stew Ingredient

Post by misanthrope » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:48 am

I think that you just want in on what was a pretty fun tussle.

strife
Stew Ingredient

Post by strife » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

Nah, I'll get pwned by both of you. Never actually settled in New York, or could talk about it convincingly.

I think we drank together at Caliban a year or so later.
I am Stalking you.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri May 18, 2018 3:09 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/18/styl ... -life.html

You knew Jordan Peterson was an incel deep down.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri May 18, 2018 3:16 pm

He’s a Nevernude. There are dozens of them, dozens.