Another Ford

Main Course
eric84

Re: Another Ford

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:31 pm
This may also be Horwaths opportunity to be the default party of the left for Ontario.
The only problem is the Ont. Libs and Fed Libs go hand in hand....many who worked on KW's 2014 election also worked on Trudeau's 2015.
My guess is the Fed party will come to their rescue.
However the real hypocrisy is the screams on the left for proportional representation instead of first past the post.
All these a-holes on twitter where losing their shit so I asked a couple of them to please post their 2014 tweets of them wanting the same thing when KW won her majority with only 38% of the popular vote.
Surprise, no one could/would.
Manitoba proves you can have a strong federal liberal party and an almost non existent provincial party. A lot of federal liberals became provincial NDP members which had the impact of moderating the party.

As for the PR stuff, yeah, I get the hypocrisy angle there. I think we need to get to a PR system because I'm still not comfortable with the idea that 40% of the vote gets you 60% of the seats, not matter who wins power. It would make our politics more moderate and consensus-driven.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:53 pm

The problem with PR is it would invite all these fringe parties to start to participate, giving them inordinate power (remember my party is 30% so - con)
I do not want the constant chaos of say Italy where they've had 50 or 60 elections since WW2.
Our system isn't perfect but in general it does allow for a decent balance between both sides getting to be in govt.
I still think our system is better and even the federal libs figured this out as well.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:14 pm

A 5% cut off would address the fringe parties issue. It would only let the Green party to the table.

You could have the German system which is a riding/PR hybrid. They've had stable coalitions for 70 years now. In some ways, coalitions in a FPTP system are more unstable because the parties think just a small number of voters can push them over the edge into a majority. Look at all the jockeying, chaos and proroguing done in the 2004-2008 period. In a PR system, folks would realize they don't really have much of a chance of getting to a majority and would have to work together.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28 pm

I guess I'd look at it different if one party had dominance for decades (say like the Cons in AB, or the Libs in the Maritimes) but now even that seems less likely.
My problem with your theory is that you think people would have a better chance of working together, but in this increasingly fractured political environment we live in, I just don't see that as possible.
Poor SG is damn near apopletic on another post (she said she fired people - I really hope she was kidding).
I don't think she is exagerating...I think she is really sad/pissed off.
I just think in this wired world it's too easy to just retreat into your fortress, working via compromise seems to be going the way of the dodo.
I'm not saying your wrong I just don't know if people in this country (or many others for that matter) can rise above it.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:45 pm

But fptp just fuels that kind of partisan divide. In or, you don’t have a choice. You have to deal with people who don’t always like.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 pm

I think your faith in humanity is better than mine.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:06 pm

The partisan shit is getting worse and worse in the current system, that’s all I know.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:45 pm

It's a sunny day here in Ontario!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:22 pm

'First ever government of the people'.....geez, way to throw Mike Harris under the bus!

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:48 pm

It's that kind of horse shit talk I don't want to hear from my elected officials. Just govern and never mind the partisan based attacks.
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:56 pm

Geez, he's going to have a leg session in July?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:59 pm

eric84 wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:22 pm
'First ever government of the people'.....geez, way to throw Mike Harris under the bus!
Ha!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm

Interesting cabinet. Some good talent there, but filled with veterans. Minimal diversity representation from the burbs though. Be interesting how the ethnic communities feel about gettIng shut out when they put the Cons in power. Drougie’s kept it under control so far. I’d say they are off to a good start.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:50 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28 pm
I guess I'd look at it different if one party had dominance for decades (say like the Cons in AB, or the Libs in the Maritimes) but now even that seems less likely.
My problem with your theory is that you think people would have a better chance of working together, but in this increasingly fractured political environment we live in, I just don't see that as possible.
Poor SG is damn near apopletic on another post (she said she fired people - I really hope she was kidding).
I don't think she is exagerating...I think she is really sad/pissed off.
I just think in this wired world it's too easy to just retreat into your fortress, working via compromise seems to be going the way of the dodo.
I'm not saying your wrong I just don't know if people in this country (or many others for that matter) can rise above it.
What?! I just saw this. I don't believe I said I fired anyone, even jest. I wouldn't, obviously, even if anyone in my line of work was stupid enough to vote for Ford.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:48 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm
Interesting cabinet. Some good talent there, but filled with veterans. Minimal diversity representation from the burbs though. Be interesting how the ethnic communities feel about gettIng shut out when they put the Cons in power. Drougie’s kept it under control so far. I’d say they are off to a good start.
Why does diversity supercede good govt?
Can you think of anyone better from his available choices?
Was there someone better than Christine Elliott for health or Vic Fidelli for finance?
Unfortunately many of the ethnic riding winners got there under a bit of a cloud in the nomination process, and the press would have had a field day had the been nominated to cabinet.
Lets see if it looks the same 2 years from now.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:05 pm

Homerj wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:48 pm
coffeeguy wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:16 pm
Why does diversity supercede good govt?
Can you think of anyone better from his available choices?
Was there someone better than Christine Elliott for health or Vic Fidelli for finance?
Unfortunately many of the ethnic riding winners got there under a bit of a cloud in the nomination process, and the press would have had a field day had the been nominated to cabinet.
Lets see if it looks the same 2 years from now.
That's ok, Raymond Cho, the eighty something MPP who assaults teenagers, has a minor portfolio satisfying their diversity requirements.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:18 pm

Please feel free to offer suitable replacements, listing their credentials as to why they would be better suited than those chosen, or would you rather post silly non points.
The main reason (as I pointed out many times above) that Dougie trounced the 'dippers was the depth of his bench.
many folks (me included) may not have thought he was best suited, but were more than happy to vote for him because of his potential wealth of choices for cabinet ministers.
He didn't disappoint other than to the chronically whining diversity crowd.
2 of the 3 top cabinet positions are women, and if a few hundred votes had gone the other way we'd have sworn in a 2nd women premier - hows manitoba fare in that department?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:24 pm

Manitoba Tories aren't very diverse, that's true. Most of the women in their cabinet are fairly useless, outside of maybe Rochelle Squires.

Anyway, it doesn't matter a great deal who's in cabinet. That's window dressing. Jenni Byrne will be the one in charge, ultimately.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Homerj wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:18 pm
Please feel free to offer suitable replacements, listing their credentials as to why they would be better suited than those chosen, or would you rather post silly non points.
The main reason (as I pointed out many times above) that Dougie trounced the 'dippers was the depth of his bench.
many folks (me included) may not have thought he was best suited, but were more than happy to vote for him because of his potential wealth of choices for cabinet ministers.
He didn't disappoint other than to the chronically whining diversity crowd.
2 of the 3 top cabinet positions are women, and if a few hundred votes had gone the other way we'd have sworn in a 2nd women premier - hows manitoba fare in that department?
I have no clue what the Brampton or Markham or Mississauga con MP’s are like, but it’s not a good strategy in Canadian politicS to ignore those ethnic communities when picking your cabinet. That is if you want those voters to vote for you a second term. Kenny got it, just saying...you can be sure opposition will make much of the ‘slight’

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Lets see what the cabinet looks like 2 years from now, and besides if Dougie addresses many of their concerns (sex ed cirriculum, hydro prices, govt. getting in the way of them running their small businesses) I don't think they will give a flying fuck if someone who is the same color as them is in cabinet.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:33 pm

Sex ed ciriculuum is a burning issue in Ontario, seriously?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:32 pm

With the ethnics it sure is.
The mooslims and hindu's and fundies (of course) especially....no bum sex for them, well they probably do it, but you can't talk to their kids about it.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:48 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:32 pm
With the ethnics it sure is.
The mooslims and hindu's and fundies (of course) especially....no bum sex for them, well they probably do it, but you can't talk to their kids about it.
There's always private school or home schooling. He isn't seriously going to take sex ed out of public schools, is he?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:53 pm

No, just modify Eric.
I wasn't kidding when I mentioned bum sex.
Most of them just want the discussion later (or I'm sure in some cases not at all).
Right now they get the bum sex talk in grade 6 (this was tanya granic allens whole election platform in a nutshell), my guess is this will become a grade 9 topic and that will be the end of it.
Don't forget it was TGA's supporters that put Dougie over the top....plus there were very big demonstrations (in the thousands) when Wynne introduced this.
To me I could care less, but this was a big issue to many (especially ethnic voters) who voted for Dougie.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 pm

On the upside he is ending all agreement with the feds on US asylum seekers...which I fully support.
he wants them turned back at the border as many of us do.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:01 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:54 pm
On the upside he is ending all agreement with the feds on US asylum seekers...which I fully support.
he wants them turned back at the border as many of us do.
He doesn't have jurisdiction over it and the feds can't do that. Dumb because the agreement was giving them money to house them.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 pm

it is the housing issue that is where he ending the agreement, he wants them to pay 100% not some paltry amount because he says it is 100% the feds fault, which he is correct.
Just like cap and trade he will go to court.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:05 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:55 pm
it is the housing issue that is where he ending the agreement, he wants them to pay 100% not some paltry amount because he says it is 100% the feds fault, which he is correct.
Just like cap and trade he will go to court.
And lose. Creating efficiencies, one lawsuit at a time.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:08 pm

I highly doubt that...besides whats the cost of pissing off vast swaths of Ontario voters with a federal election less than 2 years away?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:13 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:08 pm
I highly doubt that...besides whats the cost of pissing off vast swaths of Ontario voters with a federal election less than 2 years away?
Maybe Ontario voters will conclude Ford is pissing away lawyer fees for a lawsuit he can't win instead of, you know, working together and governing?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 pm

Nope, these asylum seakers are taking up loads of low cost housing and displacing Ontarians.
He's right this is the feds doing, a few million in legal fees is well worth the cost of discrediting the PM.
This is a long game.
Dougie has lots of backing at this moment and he's swinging for the fences on many issues, this being one (and it helps that he is 100% right in this case).
Time to shut the borders to these asylum seekers, let the US deal with their own problems.
Trudeau shuts the border to them, lawsuit and issue will quickly disappate.
The housing issue is sever here in Ontario, not a problem you have to deal with in MB.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:29 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 pm
Nope, these asylum seakers are taking up loads of low cost housing and displacing Ontarians.
He's right this is the feds doing, a few million in legal fees is well worth the cost of discrediting the PM.
This is a long game.
Dougie has lots of backing at this moment and he's swinging for the fences on many issues, this being one (and it helps that he is 100% right in this case).
Time to shut the borders to these asylum seekers, let the US deal with their own problems.
Trudeau shuts the border to them, lawsuit and issue will quickly disappate.
The housing issue is sever here in Ontario, not a problem you have to deal with in MB.
They're not displacing Ontarians; they aren't living in those housing facilities. You can't shut the border no matter how you or conservatives want to. And acutally, we have had asylum seekers. Our tory government actually worked with the feds and got funding to cover housing costs.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm

Of course they are where do u think they are putting these thousands of asylum seekers ...in tents?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:43 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:32 pm
Of course they are where do u think they are putting these thousands of asylum seekers ...in tents?
They're sleeping in shelters where they've expanded capacity to accommodate asylum seekers. Did you think people were being thrown out of their homes in Burlington?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm

no they are filling low cost hotels/motels and displacing ontarians who would usually be placed there...and we are paying for it, time to make this stop

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:02 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 pm
no they are filling low cost hotels/motels and displacing ontarians who would usually be placed there...and we are paying for it, time to make this stop
Utterly wrong. You'll need to produce a link to back that up.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Just one example from the lefty huff post none the less:
Toronto shelters filled with asylum seekers:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/06/2 ... canada_dau

There's lots more, cities/links if you care to look

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 pm

Your problem is you are confusing the word shelters with temporary shelter...shelters here is where we put the homeless, whether they are refugees, asylum seekers or just run of the mill homeless, but some of those run of the mill homeless are shit out of luck because these places are full.
So trust fund boy needs to pony up 100% of the cash to pay for this mess of his own doing or get rid of the tsc legislation.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:28 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:16 pm
Your problem is you are confusing the word shelters with temporary shelter...shelters here is where we put the homeless, whether they are refugees, asylum seekers or just run of the mill homeless, but some of those run of the mill homeless are shit out of luck because these places are full.
So trust fund boy needs to pony up 100% of the cash to pay for this mess of his own doing or get rid of the tsc legislation.
Where in any of those stories does it say that the homeless or anyone else is being displaced because of asylum seekers?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:31 pm

"According to a report from the city manager, the number of refugees and asylum claimants using the shelter system went from 459 in 2016 — accounting for 11.2 per cent of the total system — to 3,209 as of June 20, 2018 — 45.8 per cent of the system."
Thats 2800 spots regular homeless no longer have access to, there is not an infinite amount of shelter spots.
There is a reason the mayor and the premier are calling foul...this isn't like at the border where they stick them in unused hockey arenas over the summer.
They are displacing folks and burdening the taxpayer with the costs.
Sorry I find it funny that you think we should be taking care of refugees from the USA.
Fuck them they are their problem, not ours.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:51 pm

And so it begins.

"It's sad that there is no hope coming for kids and educators, and absolutely disgusting that our children's classrooms is one of the first places Doug Ford's axe is falling," she said.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/ontario-p ... -1.4006307
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Fixing schools is socialist!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:23 pm

Sex ed cirriculum going back to 1998 version. Good lord, seriously?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:16 pm

And now cutting in half the number of Toronto City councillors in the middle of an election campaign, something Doug Ford failed to mention that he would do during the election. But, yes, the sex ed curriculum didn't have enough consultation.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm

God I realized long ago you were simple but how does someone who said at every campaign stop "I am going to reduce the size of government and reduce government waste" and then go on to win a big majority, not give you a clue as to what he would do with his mandate?
The feds and the province can get by with 25 MP's and MPP's for the city of Toronto, yet somehow the dis-functional city hall in Toronto needs 2x's as many reps?

So basically then you are agreeing that the sex ed cirriculum should have had more consultation?
So basically you are for consultation only when it suits your personal agenda?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:57 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:54 pm
God I realized long ago you were simple but how does someone who said at every campaign stop "I am going to reduce the size of government and reduce government waste" and then go on to win a big majority, not give you a clue as to what he would do with his mandate?
The feds and the province can get by with 25 MP's and MPP's for the city of Toronto, yet somehow the dis-functional city hall in Toronto needs 2x's as many reps?

So basically then you are agreeing that the sex ed cirriculum should have had more consultation?
So basically you are for consultation only when it suits your personal agenda?
I'm saying it's hypocritical to whine about sex ed ciriculum consultations and then turn around and do zero consultations about remaking municipal government. That seems pretty clear.

The weird thing is Ford could've put this in his platform and he still would've won. Doing it during the campaign is pretty dumb and clearly politically motivated to keep Patrick Brown out.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 pm

I understand what you are saying, I'm just calling you a hypocrite.
There are 4 regional chairs that will be appointed, not just Patrick Browns riding.
Also they will be appointed by the city councils that are elected not by the Premier, so if the elected folks in Patrick Browns area think he's the best choice he can still be appointed to the position.
Once again I note "I am going to reduce the size of government and reduce government waste", what part of that doesn't ring true?
He said he was going to do it and the first (not the last) place he did it was where he was most familiar with this problem, Toronto city hall where both he and his brother served for many years as councillors.
I applaud this and hope he moves on to other jurisdictions with similar bloat.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:16 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:12 pm
I understand what you are saying, I'm just calling you a hypocrite.
There are 4 regional chairs that will be appointed, not just Patrick Browns riding.
Also they will be appointed by the city councils that are elected not by the Premier, so if the elected folks in Patrick Browns area think he's the best choice he can still be appointed to the position.
Once again I note "I am going to reduce the size of government and reduce government waste", what part of that doesn't ring true?
He said he was going to do it and the first (not the last) place he did it was where he was most familiar with this problem, Toronto city hall where both he and his brother served for many years as councillors.
I applaud this and hope he moves on to other jurisdictions with similar bloat.
Clearly, this is partially motivated by Patrick Brown running in Peel. You'd have been to completely blind not to see that. Making some vague commitment to reducing government 'waste' is a wee bit different than that making a last minute change to the number of councillors. Again, why didn't he campaign specifically on that commitment?

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 pm

He did, that fact that you willfully refuse to see it doesn't change the fact that he made the same statement over and over again at every campaign stop.
He is now implementing that plan.
This just happens to come first because both him and his brother and other councillors have put this idea in front of city council before (it's even in Robs book), but of course the lefty cabal always voted it down.
So it's not like this is off the cuff, this is something that has already been looked into, plus this is the council he sat on so he knows it best.

Once again the only people whining are the usual cabal of lefties who will be without employment in October.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:22 pm
He did, that fact that you willfully refuse to see it doesn't change the fact that he made the same statement over and over again at every campaign stop.
He is now implementing that plan.
This just happens to come first because both him and his brother and other councillors have put this idea in front of city council before (it's even in Robs book), but of course the lefty cabal always voted it down.
So it's not like this is off the cuff, this is something that has already been looked into, plus this is the council he sat on so he knows it best.

Once again the only people whining are the usual cabal of lefties who will be without employment in October.
He did not say, over and over, that he would cut in half the number of Toronto councillors. Why not if he was intending to do it?