Another Ford

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Re: Another Ford

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:07 pm

Eric, I think you underestimate Ms. Elliott.
Like I say I really think she will be Paul Martin like -even to the extent of getting the party to eventually oust it's leader a la Chretien.
I don't know Mrs. Mulroney (I've only met her once) well enough to comment.
Also like Ms. Wynne....Dougie does understand that many people don't want to vote for him, but will vote for his team.
Also just like Trudeau, in many cases people aren't voting for him they are voting against the incumbent.
I just don't think he gets the same amount of leeway.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:25 pm

Homerj wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:07 pm
Eric, I think you underestimate Ms. Elliott.
Like I say I really think she will be Paul Martin like -even to the extent of getting the party to eventually oust it's leader a la Chretien.
I don't know Mrs. Mulroney (I've only met her once) well enough to comment.
Also like Ms. Wynne....Dougie does understand that many people don't want to vote for him, but will vote for his team.
Also just like Trudeau, in many cases people aren't voting for him they are voting against the incumbent.
I just don't think he gets the same amount of leeway.
Paul Martin isn't the comparison you should be looking for. I think it would have been far better of her to stay out of this campaign and not be associated with Ford and wait for his inevitable implosion. She's already had a couple of attempts to win leadership and can't manage it even though all the pundits seem to agree she's the best candidate so she must not connect with on the ground Tories.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Scrubb
Stew Ingredient

Post by Scrubb » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Going back, someone posted that Economists show that the NDP plan is actually the most fiscally conservative while the Cons' would cost the most. However, historical precedent means no one believes the NDP could possibly do anything but spend indiscriminately. So they plan to vote for the guy with the most indiscriminate spending in his plan in the hope that he won't live up to any of his platform.

Nuts.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:59 pm

There was a study done comparing party records provincially in the recent past which showed that the NDP balanced their books more than either the Tories or the Liberals.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:13 pm

But like I said earlier Scrubber I don't think that indiscriminate spending will be the reason the NDP lose (if they do).
1. is the promise to never use back to work legislation...this province has had many protracted strikes with govt. workers because of govts. reluctance to use this tool...like him or hate him Steven Harper used it like a hammer and most Ontarians approved of this tactic and got used to it being effective.
2. wynne is hated because she is your typical left wing liberal who believes in the nanny state, thus govt. involvement in every aspect of life....horwath is cut from the same cloth....people are tired of it...for example we still cannot buy liquor at a supermarket or convenience store
3. just like wynne she will owe her election to the unions (especially the public service ones)
4. her candidates are no where near as moderate as she is and she has a very weak bunch to choose from for cabinet positions (when they had their parties nominations no one thought the NDP had a chance in hell of winning this thing)

So in fact I don't believe out of control spending is a major issue for people not to vote NDP, I believe the reasons I laid out above are pressing to most folks who wont vote for the party.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:15 pm

So Homes, if the Dippers win, will you go to Alberta? If so, what city will you be moving to?
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:19 pm

Calgary
I have a 2nd interview with a company for a VP position.
Now an NDP win wouldn't make me take it (if offered), but it would sway my decision as a pro if I am on the fence.
Also r/e is quite a bit cheaper in Cowtown, although if I do take it I may consider buying in Canmore (I really like it there).

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm

To be honest the real issue is equity or stock options in the company...that will sway me more than pretty much anything else as the industry is really fast growing.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:22 pm

Then he can complain about Rachel Notley, at least for a year or so.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:27 pm

Actually not sure I would....from all accounts I hear she's pretty capable.
I'd certainly vote for Jason Kenney but I can always admire competency even if some of her policies may go against my grain.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm

The economy there is going great guns so Kenny has less and less to campaign on. He'll still win but at least she's putting up a fight.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:41 pm

Even though they had the Renata Ford lawsuit scoop, I love that the press organ for the Tories went with this headline and a story attacking Gail Vaz Oxlade for her support of the NDP.....she's not even running for office!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:47 pm

The company gave me an option of Cowtown or Vancouver, but I think I prefer the sanity of Ontario politics to BC's + the bump in pay was only $20K more to live in Vancouver and I don't think that is enuf to sway me to spend $1.5-2.0 M on a fixer upper.
Maybe Sode has a spare bedroom that Marge and I could rent?

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:09 pm

Unfortunately I don't, but a relative of mine rents a 2 br + den condo in Coal Harbour that she is giving up at the end of the month. Was there last weekend, nice place.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:10 pm

And Homer, anyone with half-a-brain would live in Van vs Calgary.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm

Nope sorry the rain depresses me, besides I'd live in Canmore not Calgary and Canmore is a very very nice place.
Also my next home just has to be nice for summer....I am 10 or 11 years away from retirement, which means I will spend only 50% of my time in Canada once I retire.
Also investing $2.0 M + in a home isn't something I want to do at this point in time in my life.
I like Coal Harbour, but I'm not really a condo guy....like my privacy too much thus my need to spend the $ on a single family detached home.
Besides unlike Ms. Notley I would like to punch Premier Horgan supporters in the face.
Chances are I'm not the right candidate for this job anyways...its just nice to have an escape plan if this province enters into the land of the absurd and votes in an NDP majority.
On the upside SG will be over the moon that Mr. Hates Poor People doesn't get kick the downtrodden as he so often enjoys doing.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:32 pm

Homerj wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:20 pm
Nope sorry the rain depresses me, besides I'd live in Canmore not Calgary and Canmore is a very very nice place.
Also my next home just has to be nice for summer....I am 10 or 11 years away from retirement, which means I will spend only 50% of my time in Canada once I retire.
Also investing $2.0 M + in a home isn't something I want to do at this point in time in my life.
I like Coal Harbour, but I'm not really a condo guy....like my privacy too much thus my need to spend the $ on a single family detached home.
Besides unlike Ms. Notley I would like to punch Premier Horgan supporters in the face.
Chances are I'm not the right candidate for this job anyways...its just nice to have an escape plan if this province enters into the land of the absurd and votes in an NDP majority.
On the upside SG will be over the moon that Mr. Hates Poor People doesn't get kick the downtrodden as he so often enjoys doing.
heh

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:49 am

It's true, I will be. Plus, since he's threatened to shut down the supervised injection sites, my clients won't be dying off so that's another plus.

The two busiest SISs in the city have reversed almost 400 ODs since August. That's 400 Ontarians who are alive today who probably wouldn't be without with service. And Ford wants to shut them down. Such compassion!
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:38 pm

You’d think as a former drug dealer he should want to help past clients.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:11 pm

eric84 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:38 pm
You’d think as a former drug dealer he should want to help past clients.
Just shows entreprenureal spirit from a young age!

So I'm watching TV this morning and it turns out Canmore is some of the most expensive vacation property in Canada.
No wonder I like it so much.
Like BC prices.
Shit I don't want to live in Calgary.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:13 pm

You were surprised that Canmore was expensive? I like the Rockies, obviously, but Calgary as a city is pretty meh to me.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:30 pm

No, I just had no idea HOW expensive.
I made an effort to look at some prices this a.m. and I'm still at least $M 1.5-2.0 for sumthin' decent.
I'm supposed to downsize and buy less expensive homes as I age.
I stupidly (being tronna centric and all) just assumed that with oil prices being low so would Calgary vacation properties.
Turns out I was greatly mis-informed.

I like Kelowna as well, but new potential emplyer says way to isolated plus my airfare would be considerably higher from there so it has been ruled out.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 pm

What about Deep Cove or Squamish (near Vancouver)? Prices are rising quickly in Squamish but it's likely still more affordable than most places in the lower mainland.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:07 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 pm
What about Deep Cove or Squamish (near Vancouver)? Prices are rising quickly in Squamish but it's likely still more affordable than most places in the lower mainland.
I have a second problem with YVR and that is the lack of big highways and the inherent traffic that comes with it.
I would need to be near the airport for work purposes.
Like i said earlier I'd be surprised if I got the position but I was leaning towards AB just because of the cost of living factor, but if I can find some place that will give me the home I want say for $M 1.2 -1.5 then I would be fine.
I just didn't think it was possible in the lower mainland.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:16 pm

Not sure what Tsawwassen is like. I would much rather be in BC than in Alberta.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:28 pm

I have a rep in Tsawwassen and his run down clapboard house would go for about $ 1.8 (and he's a Christian hippie so he isn't one for exaggeration)....so I don't think that's doable either.
Granted he can see the ferries so maybe the water view has something to do with that price.
Look I like BC a whole lot, I would just like to basically buy a house for what I could sell mine for here.
I'm out there in a few weeks so I am going to take a look at whats available, but from my pre-searching I just have found $1.5 doesn't buy you much, and I really don't want to commute from Abbottsford or Chilliwack.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Hello! Some of us are trying to fight about the Ontario election here!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Just go and vote.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 pm

I did like the Tory candidate assaulting a 13 year old at a school. Cabinet material!

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:26 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:28 pm
I have a rep in Tsawwassen and his run down clapboard house would go for about $ 1.8 (and he's a Christian hippie so he isn't one for exaggeration)....so I don't think that's doable either.
Granted he can see the ferries so maybe the water view has something to do with that price.
Look I like BC a whole lot, I would just like to basically buy a house for what I could sell mine for here.
I'm out there in a few weeks so I am going to take a look at whats available, but from my pre-searching I just have found $1.5 doesn't buy you much, and I really don't want to commute from Abbottsford or Chilliwack.
Ooh, pissup!

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:02 pm

Calling it now, PC Minority, Druggie won't be able to form a government, and the NDP and LIbs form a coalition because they will have more seats than the PC's. The PC's will come to their senses turf Druggie, and in 2 years another election will be called and the PC's will win a majority.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:27 pm

eric84 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:55 pm
I did like the Tory candidate assaulting a 13 year old at a school. Cabinet material!
Prick kid grabbed his lit, tore it up and threw it on the ground...he's lucky our candidate was 81.
I would kicked the shit out of the entitled little brat....and thus in a nutshell why Homer can never run for office.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:31 pm

sodelicious wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:26 pm
Homerj wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:28 pm
Ooh, pissup!
Only in YVR for 2 1/2 days not sure I will have time.
If I do it will be on the night of Mon. June 18th and not sure if I can motivate anyone out on a Monday night.
I've been PM'ing with Tru and I'm gonna miss her on the island as well.
Homer's timing has always been a little off.

However I disagree with your election call...I think Dougies gonna pull it off with a small majority.
The big problem Horwath has is she doesn't have a swing issue like pot legalization that trust fund boy did, to get out the millenials (happy now SG?)
However I'd prefer your outcome.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:32 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:27 pm
eric84 wrote:
Prick kid grabbed his lit, tore it up and threw it on the ground...he's lucky our candidate was 81.
I would kicked the shit out of the entitled little brat....and thus in a nutshell why Homer can never run for office.
Raymond Cho is an utter douche from his time in Toronto city politics. Classic Ford candidate.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:33 pm

Kids a douche as well, thus no charges.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Um, he's 13 years old and ripped up a brochure. What would you charge him with.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm

Homerj wrote:
eric84 wrote:
He's the adult in this situation, he should have acted like one.

Entitled candidate...thinks his literature is so sacred someone can't make a political statement by ripping it up and resorts to physical violence. Typical.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Homerj wrote:
eric84 wrote:

Entitled candidate...thinks his literature is so sacred someone can't make a political statement by ripping it up and resorts to physical violence. Typical.
You really aren't defending someone who rips up someones lit and then throws it to the ground are you, especially when the guy is in his 80's?
New surprises each and every day.
The police didn't think it was an issue only the d-bag teacher who decided to make it public did.
Guess thats what folks resort to when their chosen candidate might lose.
Why do you and this teacher hate the elderly so much?
Does implementing your socialist agenda justify such octinigerian hatred?
They were the greatest generation, dont you know.
So sad........
I want you now to defend Hitler meme lady....or the poppy haters.....or the fuck the police guy.....or the civil disobediance handbook author or the $1.70/litre of gas folks next.... the list is endless....please justify their existence.
If Ms. Horwath loses it will be because of this list of degenrates...not because of any short comings on her behalf.
If Dougie loses there is NO one to blame but Dougie...but If Andrea loses she can thank this cadre of pond excrement for her demise.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:54 pm

eric84 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:34 pm
Um, he's 13 years old and ripped up a brochure. What would you charge him with.
That Cho wasn't charged rocket scientist!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 pm

Geez, relax. Nobody's defending him. It was impolite but he's 13 and he's 80 something. Why is a candidate assaulting a teenager over that? Get over yourself

I think a quarter of PC candidates are under some sort of investigation. As for candidate vetting, I think it's more serious that you can't vet your own leader.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Vet for what Einstein?
A bogus lawsuit and 30 year old claims of selling some hash on the school yard.
The problem is you have no grip of the collosal damage that the Liberals have dome to this province in the last 15 years.
Inconsequential shit like I mentioned above is a sideshow nothing more.
ask yourself if he's this bad why is he leading in the polls even when for people like me I'd rather not have him as leader?
Simple because we went from the economic engine of the country into a have-not, job bleeding disaster in a decade and a half.
Even if 50% of what comes out of his mouth is bullshit or bluster its still 1000 x better than what we have now.
And that in a nutshell is why he is leading, even with his MANY shortcomings...besides the idiots of this country elected someone less qualified to be PM, and at least in your limited imaginations that turned out OK

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:07 pm

http://pressprogress.ca/one-quarter-of- ... tigations/

Here's the impressive list of ongoing allegations, lawsuits and other scandals that the Tories will be bogged down by rather governing. But sure, the NDP didn't vet its candidates properly.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:54 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:51 pm
snowgirl wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:36 pm
Homerj wrote:

You really aren't defending someone who rips up someones lit and then throws it to the ground are you, especially when the guy is in his 80's?
New surprises each and every day.
The police didn't think it was an issue only the d-bag teacher who decided to make it public did.
Guess thats what folks resort to when their chosen candidate might lose.
Why do you and this teacher hate the elderly so much?
Does implementing your socialist agenda justify such octinigerian hatred?
They were the greatest generation, dont you know.
So sad........
I want you now to defend Hitler meme lady....or the poppy haters.....or the fuck the police guy.....or the civil disobediance handbook author or the $1.70/litre of gas folks next.... the list is endless....please justify their existence.
If Ms. Horwath loses it will be because of this list of degenrates...not because of any short comings on her behalf.
If Dougie loses there is NO one to blame but Dougie...but If Andrea loses she can thank this cadre of pond excrement for her demise.
Homer's head is exploding.

I'm not defending anyone. I'm attacking someone who isn't an adult enough to shrug off the kid's rudeness.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:19 pm

If he can't cope with a 13 year old tearing up his pamphlet then I would hate to see how he reacts to the real personal attacks that politicians face on an ongoing basis from angry, and often belligerent, adults. He doesn't really seem cut out for this as a career choice.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 pm

My heads not exploding I'm taking the piss.
Dougs a train wreck waiting to happen but thats personal.
Andrea's a train wreck for the entire province.
All this other shit is trivialities at best, and the best the left can come up with (see Eric's douchey left wing propoganda link if you doubt the veracity of my claim).
Eric might as well have linked Focus on the Family.
However I am waiting for the first pics of all that poor people hatin' we are about to have foisted upon us by such an evil doer.
Woo hoo.... I'm practicing my starving waif kickin' as we speak!
Dickens had nothing on post Dougie Ontario.
Please sir can I have some more....fuck you cuz I voted for DOUG!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 pm
All this other shit is trivialities at best, and the best the left can come up with (see Eric's douchey left wing propoganda link if you doubt the veracity of my claim).
However I am waiting for the first pics of all that poor people hatin' we are about to have foisted upon us by such an evil doer.
Press progress is about on par with the Sun who made it clear they would be ford cheerleaders.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Homerj wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 pm
I don't think you are a waif-kicker, Homes. You already said you don't agree with Ford on many things. Doug is a waif-kicker. You're blind if you can't see it. This province hasn't recovered from the Harris years. I hate to see what the Ford years will do to those truly poor people in this province.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:59 pm

No you are wrong Dougie likes the downtrodden (they work in his factories).
Sorry but 15 years of massive Liberal debt and having to pay for that debt are why cuts are needed.
Even my much preferred candidate would have instituted them out of necessity.

I do have a question for you though, did you get out and campaign for your local NDP candidate, give $ or time?
You obviously vehemently dislike the waif kicker, so was your only response to just rail about him on a website where 99% of the visitors could care less about the election, or did you actively campaign for the NDP?
I'll be the first to admit my involvement in this campaign was minimal compared to previous ones (a $150 donation to my local candidate - that's it), but what about you?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Dougie likes the downtrodden like he likes autistic children. Other than cutting cheques, what do you do during campaigns homer? Knock on doors, put up signs?
Last edited by eric84 on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:18 pm

I have a sign on my lawn and I donated money. I also worked within my organization to raise awareness among the homeless people I work with about the importance of voting, enabled my staff to sign people up who usually wouldn't vote because they have no fixed address, etc. They won't all vote NDP, obvs, but I'm really proud at how many of them now see themselves as having political agency.