Main Course
sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Re: Another Ford

Post by sodelicious » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:55 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 3:20 pm
Hehe

Ladies and Gentleman, the next Premier of Ontario.
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:12 pm

Hmmm, this thread needs a bump. Looks like the NDP are gaining traction as the anti-Ford alternative. Liberals headed to electoral disaster, not just simply losing.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 pm

I love how the PC's got a casting agency to hire a bunch of actors to act as supporters at a rally.

That is funny!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed May 09, 2018 7:31 pm

75 bucks for 6 hours. Times are tough for actors.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Wed May 09, 2018 7:47 pm

I wonder if Kiki got a call from that agency.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed May 09, 2018 7:57 pm

I just found out that a distant relative (second cousin or something) is running for the PC's!

He will be disowned, obvs.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

eric84

Post by eric84 » Wed May 09, 2018 8:58 pm

That's embarrassing.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Ndp now tied. The Tories are going to fuck this up again, aren’t they?

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sun May 20, 2018 2:21 pm

We can only hope.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Your only hope is to abandon the liberals entirely.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:24 pm

John barber had a pretty strong defence of Wynne. She has done a lot. Alas, after 15 years, the accumulated grievances are too much to overcome

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Sun May 20, 2018 2:25 pm

I'm fine with that. I haven't voted Liberal provincially...ever, I think.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Wynne is about as left wing a liberal leader has ever been

eric84

Post by eric84 » Sun May 20, 2018 2:32 pm

I know the Manitoba liberal leader well. Good guy and smart. Doubt he’ll ever be premier though.

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Thu May 24, 2018 3:46 pm

I'm hoping for a minority government. In my effort to cause this, I voted this morning for the incumbent - a Liberal.
"Ominous Spiritus" - Gowan

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:46 pm

I doubt there will be a minority government. The liberals will be lucky to win 10 seats this election.

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Thu May 24, 2018 3:51 pm

Conservative's and NDP are close to tied right now in the polls (PC - 37.4%, NDP-35.8%). 10 seats to the Liberals could be enough to stop a majority.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:00 pm

It would, of course, also depend on what riding you're in. Voting liberal may actually help Doug Ford become premier.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:28 pm

God help us all if the NDP win. Will be a disaster for this province and Canada. I’m looking for forward to working my ass off so I can hand over my pay check to the public sector unions and every left wing special interest group in the province. If it comes down to Horwath and Ford, l take ford and hope that his team which consists of some good candidates keeps him semi in line.

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Thu May 24, 2018 4:30 pm

I 'm hoping for a minority government because I don't want any of them to be Premier. Either Doug Ford or Andrea Horwath with a minority government will be controlled by the other two parties. Doug won't be able to cut, cut, cut and Andrea won't be able to spend, spend, spend.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:37 pm

Yeah that’s probably the best we can hope for. But I think the liberals are in for a real shellacking, even though Wynne has shown the best grip by far on actually understanding policy. But 15 years of baggage and some real doozies is hard to overcome.

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Thu May 24, 2018 4:44 pm

But I think the liberals are in for a real shellacking, even though Wynne has shown the best grip by far on actually understanding policy. But 15 years of baggage and some real doozies is hard to overcome.
Agreed. I'm very disappointed that the PC's didn't choose someone other than Doug Ford as their leader.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:46 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:28 pm
God help us all if the NDP win. Will be a disaster for this province and Canada. I’m looking for forward to working my ass off so I can hand over my pay check to the public sector unions and every left wing special interest group in the province. If it comes down to Horwath and Ford, l take ford and hope that his team which consists of some good candidates keeps him semi in line.
Ford has run an embarassingly inept campaign with no ideas. He has proposed ideas and then withdrawn them; he refuses to cost out his platform. Despite playing the debt/deficit bogeyman, his only proposals would make the debt situation worse. Your faith in his team is laughably like depending on the Republican Party to keep Trumpiedoodle in line. He would be a disaster as Premier.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 pm

Agreed, but I’d still rather put up with his ineptitude than the NDP who can’t even add 2 numbers together much less run Canada’s biggest province. And of course I’m stating the obvious that the Canadian system of government is different than the Us executive office.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 4:53 pm

Yes, the Premier has far more power than the President. His rivals have been all too eager to run under his banner and tell anyone who asked how great Doug Ford would be as Premier. They know loyalty is the only way they get into cabinet and they're not going to rock the boat. Ford makes it pretty clear who's in charge.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu May 24, 2018 4:56 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Agreed, but I’d still rather put up with his ineptitude than the NDP who can’t even add 2 numbers together much less run Canada’s biggest province. And of course I’m stating the obvious that the Canadian system of government is different than the Us executive office.
Silly scare mongering. Ford is the real potential disaster for this province. There is absolutely nothing left to cut in social services. We are already working on a threadbare safety net. With Ford as premier we will literally see people dying on the street and I'm not exaggerating.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm

In some cases the Premier has more power and in come cases less. Doug Ford has elements of Trump but he’s not Trump. Perfect example is this campaign, he’s kept the crazy well under control. Either he’s shown restraint or his team has gotten him to.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:01 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:57 pm
In some cases the Premier has more power and in come cases less. Doug Ford has elements of Trump but he’s not Trump. Perfect example is this campaign, he’s kept the crazy well under control. Either he’s shown restraint or his team has gotten him to.
The Premier with a majority has executive and legislature control no president could dream of. Announcing that the greenbelt was open for development and then not the next day is 'keeping the crazy under control? They're limiting access to hide his utter ignorance on the issues. Even with that bubble, he's run about the worst campaign I've ever seen in politics.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:56 pm
coffeeguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 4:48 pm
Silly scare mongering. Ford is the real potential disaster for this province. There is absolutely nothing left to cut in social services. We are already working on a threadbare safety net. With Ford as premier we will literally see people dying on the street and I'm not exaggerating.
What you need to realize is that the money to pay for social services has to come from somewhere, there is no free lunch. You need a healthy economy and business climate. The NDP have no clue how to run business or an economy. All they see in people like me is a fat wallet to empty “just pay a little more”. But the more never stops. Proof is their recent announcement to shut down the PN nuclear plant early. I work in that sector and they are completely out to lunch - got handed that idea by a crazy special interest group that was behind The green energy act mess. Put thousands of skilled tradespeople out of work and ship billions to Quebec for power to buy from them already at a lower price. And Handing over big salary increases to the public sector unions isn’t going to do anything for your social safety net.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 pm

I'm not suggesting big salary increases for anyone. I've never worked for a public sector union.

I know you and I will never see eye to eye on this, coffee. But I worry that there are too many people who view the NDP with irrational fear and believe Ford is a better option without really looking at his platform or his record. I agree he's not Trump but the things he's proposing will really hurt people who are already hurting in our province. And I think the NDP need to kick up their campaign to address those fears people have.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:50 pm

There have a lot of successful NDP governments from Roy Ramonow, Gary Doer, Mike Harcourt. You know Rob Ford is going to be a disaster, it's obvious. Andrea Horwath at least is a thoughtful person. It won't guarantee success but she seems ready to govern.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 pm
I'm not suggesting big salary increases for anyone. I've never worked for a public sector union.

I know you and I will never see eye to eye on this, coffee. But I worry that there are too many people who view the NDP with irrational fear and believe Ford is a better option without really looking at his platform or his record. I agree he's not Trump but the things he's proposing will really hurt people who are already hurting in our province. And I think the NDP need to kick up their campaign to address those fears people have.
Sorry please enlighten me as to how Doug's platform is in any way going to hurt "those who are already hurting"?
By having those who make less than $30K/yr. pay NO income tax?
Or by supporting small businesses?
Or by reducing the tax on gas (which if u are poor and live outside of a city means you pretty much depend on your car to get you to and from work).

Oh and there is the most important one of not taking on debt and creating a balanced budget, thus allowing for future generations to spend $ on things they need instead spending most of it on financing debt.

I'm no fan of Doug Ford, but jesus you really drank the Kool-Aid SG.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 pm

I’ve looked at the NDP platform and there is nothing I see there that gives me any confidence they could govern the province effectively. More massive deficits to pay for unrealistic promises, big public sector union increases, and tax hikes for the ‘wealthy’ - which means me where I’m already shelling out over 50percent of every extra dollar I earn. Yeah the cons have no platform and Ford is making crazy promises as well but I have a bette tree long that the cons will be pro business and reign in spending. I feel bad because I do suspect that good programs like you offer snowgirl will get hurt - the bureaucratic paper pushers will protect themselves at the expense of the front line doers.

Anyway let’s see what happens - hard to make a decision on who to vote for when you’d prefer none of the above.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm
snowgirl wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 6:52 pm

Sorry please enlighten me as to how Doug's platform is in any way going to hurt "those who are already hurting"?
Or by reducing the tax on gas (which if u are poor and live outside of a city means you pretty much depend on your car to get you to and from work).

Oh and there is the most important one of not taking on debt and creating a balanced budget, thus allowing for future generations to spend $ on things they need instead spending most of it on financing debt.

How is going to reduce taxes and lower the deficit at the same time? Growing money on trees, I suppose?

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu May 24, 2018 8:24 pm

Homerj wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:58 pm

He can't do all those things, Homer. He's making wild promises he can't keep. But we can look at the man's track record at the City and see that he hates poor people and comes up with crazy schemes (waterfront megamall, anyone?) He's already said he's going to shut down supervised injection services that have been proven to save lives in the middle of the worst overdose epidemic we've ever seen.

The PCs are doing a pretty good job keeping his crazy tamped down for the moment but based on his past behaviour I wouldn't trust that to last once he becomes premier.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm

33403300_10156322385978665_5996415008307675136_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:02 pm
I’ve looked at the NDP platform and there is nothing I see there that gives me any confidence they could govern the province effectively. More massive deficits to pay for unrealistic promises, big public sector union increases, and tax hikes for the ‘wealthy’ - which means me where I’m already shelling out over 50percent of every extra dollar I earn. Yeah the cons have no platform and Ford is making crazy promises as well but I have a bette tree long that the cons will be pro business and reign in spending. I feel bad because I do suspect that good programs like you offer snowgirl will get hurt - the bureaucratic paper pushers will protect themselves at the expense of the front line doers.

Anyway let’s see what happens - hard to make a decision on who to vote for when you’d prefer none of the above.
Some of the most profligate governments have been conservative ones. Grant Devine in Saskatchewan nearly bankrupted the province and several members of that gov't went to jail.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 pm

SeamusMcCool wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 8:27 pm
33403300_10156322385978665_5996415008307675136_n.jpg
Jesus really?....you fucking lefties are brain dead...the libs have decimated this province and I can bring up an equally dumb meme about the destruction the ndp wrought when they got their one chance.
I noticed none of you responded to the fact that every point I made will help poor people disproportionly, because of that scary vacuum you all live inside of.
What does the spending of govts. in other provinces have to do with this one?
But I shouldn't be surprised, one side gives and the other side saves...its a whole lot easier to bribe people when you give them something that someone else has to pay for, then to be an adult and pay for it yourself.
So ask yourself...who's actually the ones being bought?
You know the answer.
The laughable part is if this was Christine Elliott there would be a whole lot less vitriol even if the election promises where the same.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

eric84

Post by eric84 » Thu May 24, 2018 8:40 pm

If Christine Elliott were leader, the Tory campaign wouldn't be such a shit show.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Thu May 24, 2018 8:45 pm

"...one side gives and the other side saves..."

Why bother discussing this with you when you're being so childishly simplistic?

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Fri May 25, 2018 12:42 pm

Latest poll:

NDP 47
PC 33
Lib 14

Both PCs and liberals bleeding support to NDP. The end of the world is close....

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri May 25, 2018 12:51 pm

That’s insane. I suspect the ndp will pull back now and the liberals will rise before the election. Btw, the guy running the on ndp campaign ran gary doer’s campaign using a lot of the same themes like hallway medicine.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 pm

Ontario Election Prediction still calling a pC majority, I suspect the NDP vote is more concentrated in specific urban and rural ridzings but if they start making gains in the 905 they could take it.

I’m seeing more NDP signs in my riding than I ever have and that’s a ridIng Where NDP usually poll 7 percent.

Think I’ll spend the weekend digging the bunker in my back yard and stockpiling food and good coins.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri May 25, 2018 1:28 pm

I'll just take a job offer I've had in Alberta, because sanity will soon return to that province.
I decided I can't take anyone seriously who says Doug Ford hates poor people, but that's what we have become as an electorate.
When did critical thinking become passe?
My god my estimation of you has dropped precipitously SG.
I'm going to reiterate what i said earlier, if the party had elected Christine Elliot with all the same platforms as Doug Ford we'd be sailing our way to a majority, but it's much easier to focus on the person than the much more difficult and involved task of focussing on the issues.
An NDP win will not only bankrupt the province, but worse sink us into debt that we will not recover from.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:58 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:28 pm
I'll just take a job offer I've had in Alberta, because sanity will soon return to that province.
I decided I can't take anyone seriously who says Doug Ford hates poor people, but that's what we have become as an electorate.
When did critical thinking become passe?
My god my estimation of you has dropped precipitously SG.
I'm going to reiterate what i said earlier, if the party had elected Christine Elliot with all the same platforms as Doug Ford we'd be sailing our way to a majority, but it's much easier to focus on the person than the much more difficult and involved task of focussing on the issues.
An NDP win will not only bankrupt the province, but worse sink us into debt that we will not recover from.
Oh, we got our first 'I'm moving!' pledge. So, Doug Ford turns out to be toxic politically in Ontario? Wow, if only the PC party knew that? Maybe you need to focus on your party rather than complaining about ON voters who seem to be acting sensibly.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:00 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 1:07 pm
Ontario Election Prediction still calling a pC majority, I suspect the NDP vote is more concentrated in specific urban and rural ridzings but if they start making gains in the 905 they could take it.

I’m seeing more NDP signs in my riding than I ever have and that’s a ridIng Where NDP usually poll 7 percent.

Think I’ll spend the weekend digging the bunker in my back yard and stockpiling food and good coins.
That predictor site is an aggregate polls, many of which still had the race closer. If all the major pollsters have results like this in the coming days, it'll be an NDP majority. I suspect though some people will go back to the Liberals if they're polling this low.

SeamusMcCool
Stew Ingredient

Post by SeamusMcCool » Fri May 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Homerj wrote: I'm going to reiterate what i said earlier, if the party had elected Christine Elliot with all the same platforms as Doug Ford we'd be sailing our way to a majority, but it's much easier to focus on the person than the much more difficult and involved task of focussing on the issues.
Any PC party member with half a brain must have known this would happen when electing their leader. Did they really think Ontarians have forgotten how the two Fords made a joke out of Toronto on the international stage? The NDP lead has everything to do with Doug Ford as leader of the PC party. When people saw the Liberals as a no hope in the poles and really they should be after 15 years of governing, they threw their support behind the NDP. That tells you how much the province loathes the Ford family. They'd rather another go with an NDP majority than give that jackass the keys to the province. If the Liberals had only served one term I would expect them to be wiping the floor with Doug Ford right now. Instead there's a good chance it'll be a minority government or a majority to the NDP.

The party really fucked up (again) by not doing what needed to be done to get Christine Elliot as leader.
Moethebartender wrote: "No doubt funded by the nigrah's and the joos."

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Fri May 25, 2018 2:32 pm

When is the election?
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Fri May 25, 2018 2:39 pm

June 7

Agent009
Stew Ingredient

Post by Agent009 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:41 pm

Meh, i thought this thread was gonna be about cars.....
One thing thats for certain, one thing thats for sure
The less you want, the more youve got, so dont you cry for more