Another Ford

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Another Ford

Post by snowgirl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 pm

Doug Ford, brother of notorious ex-Toronto mayor Rob Ford, has joined the leadership race to be the leader of the provincial Conservative party. We'll see if people are tired of populism yet.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Re: Another Ford

Post by coffeeguy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:32 pm

The worst of it is that it will likely lead to infighting and chaos in the PC party, likely lurch the PC's to the right as rivals face off to attract the base and blunt criticism by Ford. This just before the election in June, where it really is time (I my humble opinion) for the Liberals to go. Odds are we're going to see another 4 years of Wynne...

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 pm

From his mom’s basement. So apt for the modern right.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm

God, I just read about Randy Ford and how he bit a man's nose off.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm

eric84 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm
So is that a plus or a minus in a Canadian election?
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:20 pm

He's the Ford who never ran for office so we may never know, alas.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:25 pm

Now Fedeli is out, saying he will serve as interim leader only. So they will have to have a leadership run before the election, they couldn't go into a June vote without a permanent leader... It's almost like these clowns want to lose.

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 pm

LOVED Rob Ford. RIP.

Stay Woke

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:51 pm

cowtown wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm
eric84 wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 pm
So is that a plus or a minus in a Canadian election?
Presumably depends on whose nose it was.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:07 pm

Annotated wrote:
Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:32 pm
LOVED Rob Ford. RIP.

Reminds you of your mom, does he?

Why yes...she reminds me of your mother too. She was usually in that position, I hear.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:12 pm

The Fords hang out in Florida. Maybe Anno has partied with them. I hear he's a playa.

Moethebartender
Stew Ingredient

Post by Moethebartender » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 am

Crackhead politicians! Making Canaduh slightly less boring again!
Korky wrote:i remember being on Samothraki island is 2003 and apologizing for being an American under Bush II.
Seamus wrote:I flounced from certain aspects of the Stew.

BulletPark
Stew Ingredient

Post by BulletPark » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:40 am

I'm actually looking forward to this. The Fords are maybe the only family in politics even trashier than the Trumps.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:15 pm

Oh for sure, trashier! Small town trashy by comparison. Also less dangerous to the safety and security of the planet.

The Beaverton makes it funny. Cos otherwise it's a bit worrying.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/01/mi ... eadership/

Where's Homer with the insider dirt on the PC party?

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:22 am

Caroline Mulroney and Christine Elliot have joined the race. Some potential candidates are backing down because of the high fees - $100K to join the race, and $25K to access the party's membership list.
"Ominous Spiritus" - Gowan

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 am

So, three candidates with no experience in Govt. What could go wrong?

jedgarandclyde
Stew Ingredient

Post by jedgarandclyde » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:07 am

Can he walk and chew gum at the same time?
No signature for you!

RainbowFrizz
Stew Ingredient

Post by RainbowFrizz » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:26 am

This comedy bit comes from when Doug was running for mayor.

"Ominous Spiritus" - Gowan

sodelicious
Stew Ingredient

Post by sodelicious » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

Has anyone else besides the three already mentioned joined the race?
Everyone is a victim to a social worker.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:28 pm

can we get Homer to join?
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:50 pm

wot would u like me to add cowtown?

It's only 3 so far...doug ford doesn't have a chance unless he signs up 40-50K more members....i'm hoping Christine Elliot wins cuz I voted for her the last time.
Ms. Mulroney has a lot more support than I originally expected, including Lisa Raitt who I supported for the federal leadership, but I'm not really into that whole family political dynasty thing, however she's a Harvard educated lawyer with loads of NGO experience so my feelings wont be hurt if she wins.
Besides the last time I picked a party leader who won it was Stephen Harper...so I'm shit at picking winners.

As far as I am concerned I'd rather have an NDP govt. than have that shrew Wynne, win again.
I still think our odds are pretty good, as both Mulroney and Elliot are more centrist than far right.
As long as they keep taxes in line everything else secondary.
As long as they don't fuck with the minimum wage increase they can hopefully forgo the inevitable capitalist meaney badge that we unfairly get stuck with.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:36 am

The danger you have is the freaks in your party pushing them far right to get the support of the base and then there’s not enough time to lurch to the center for the general populace before the June election. You can be sure every far right position they take between now and the leadership vote will be an election ad.

Wouldn’t count ford out either, Mulroney and Elliott could split the reasonable conservative vote and allow ford to scrape ahead with the freaks.

Horwaith would turn Ontario into Venezuela and make the Bob Rae govt look like geniuses. Careful what you wish for. Wynne has been bad, but she could have been much worse.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:39 am

‘It could be much worse’ isn’t a very compelling slogan. And suggesting the ndp is going to turn Ontario into Venezuela is plain dumb and didn’t work when Rae was elected.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:42 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:36 am
The danger you have is the freaks in your party pushing them far right to get the support of the base and then there’s not enough time to lurch to the center for the general populace before the June election. You can be sure every far right position they take between now and the leadership vote will be an election ad.

Wouldn’t count ford out either, Mulroney and Elliott could split the reasonable conservative vote and allow ford to scrape ahead with the freaks.

Horwaith would turn Ontario into Venezuela and make the Bob Rae govt look like geniuses. Careful what you wish for. Wynne has been bad, but she could have been much worse.
Ford has one chance and one chance only....he has to win on the first ballot (thus my, he needs 40-50K new members).
Not to sound all sexist but word around the campfire is if one of the ladies goes off the first ballot, the remaining lady will get the majority of their support.
As it stands he is no where near signing up that many new members.
This is a leadership race not the race for the premier.
You acquise to the christian righties and the ayn randers to get the position of leader...then during the debates you come forth with your real platform.
Example....I am against the carbon tax....well sure.....but when it comes down to it....my election promises count on that extra $4B....plus its gonna get implemented anyways so my hands are tied by the Bolshevic Trudeau...so what am I suppossed to do....if I go all cap and trade then other provinces will get some of that $4B, so against my better judgement I will hold my nose and use some of that $4B to pay down our deficit.
Another example.....dear departed Stevie always said he was pro life, yet never enacted a single law that was anything but pro choice or made any changes to existing abortion laws....sure he'd let his backbenchers from Dutch farm land SK (pick a prairie province) put forth a pro life bill as a private member that had zero chance of getting passed, and that would keep them satiated.

Fact is I do believe we will form the next govt unless Ford gets picked.
My statements about Ms Horwath are just a reflection of my severe dislike of our horsefaced premier...nothing more.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm

I'm with you, I think if the PC's go with Elliott or Mulroney they have an excellent chance at the next election, no matter what the current chaos. The mood in the province is for change. but if Ford wins, all bets off.

Just a thought, there's lots to criticize Wynne for other than her looks. That really appropriate in the 21str century?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:43 pm

I understand from Homer that the Premier is a lesbian as well.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:55 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:40 pm
I'm with you, I think if the PC's go with Elliott or Mulroney they have an excellent chance at the next election, no matter what the current chaos. The mood in the province is for change. but if Ford wins, all bets off.

Just a thought, there's lots to criticize Wynne for other than her looks. That really appropriate in the 21str century?
I care not whether its appropriate.....as soon as I see her face I want to punch it...that's how I actually feel...I think horse face is a few steps up.
Funny how you guys ask my opinion but focus on the only unimportant part of the comment.
Ms Horwath could lose a few pounds and Ms. Elliot is old.
Doug Ford looks like a weeble that has been set loose in the world.
Carolyn isn't as pretty as her mom.
..is that better?

I dislike our PM because I think he's a lightweight, and I don't understand his supporters but I get it....but Premier Wynne is on a whole different level and cannot for the life of me figure out how anyone (outside of the civil servants she panders to and gets millions in donations from in return) can support her or the organization that is the Liberal party of Ontario.
Thus horse face seems letting her off lightly + even if Horwath took us to Soviet levels of leftdom....I still think I could tolerate that more than 4 more years of Wynne.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:57 pm

She gets millions in donations from civil servants? LOL. So wrong.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:51 pm

Example....I am against the carbon tax....well sure.....but when it comes down to it....my election promises count on that extra $4B.
Mulroney said they'll just rid of gov't 'waste'. Voila, problem solved.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
I fear you're right, CG, on both points.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm

eric84 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:57 pm
You don't have a fucking clue do you?
Feel free to google "focus on the family" the civil service unions funded program that outspent every other non party advertiser in the last election by a mile.
No other interest group came even close in spending.
But birds of a feather and all that.....

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm

snowgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm
coffeeguy wrote:
What are u in fear of...good government???

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Homerj wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:23 pm
eric84 wrote:
Feel free to google "focus on the family" the civil service unions funded program that outspent every other non party advertiser in the last election by a mile.

You said civil servants not civil servant unions. Big difference, champ.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 pm

Homerj wrote:
snowgirl wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:11 pm
coffeeguy wrote:
What are u in fear of...good government???
Yes, his brother shows what the ford family is capable of!

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:52 pm

eric84 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:01 pm
Homerj wrote:
eric84 wrote:

You said civil servants not civil servant unions. Big difference, champ.
In your world of delusion...sure.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:00 pm

Ok, let's spell this out to you: my union doesn't speak for me when it comes to political causes. Those civil servants with whom I work with don't give a shit about which political party is in charge. We care that gov't works well. We don't affiliate with parties politically because that would make our work awkward and trust would suffer. Those that are big on unions in the public sector are those who don't have any contact with their political masters doing what I consider to be unfun stuff like being in corrections or social workers. They don't have a lot of dough to give to political parties.

So your belief that there is an army of civil servants donating to oust the modern right is unfounded.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm

That's fair, but last time I checked union members do vote on issues and could tell their leadership, hey we don't wish to support this cause, and they would stop.
Keep in mind this isn't some small donation, this was the largest non party spender in the last prov. election.
So when a good chunk of your union dues are going towards this one cause, don't you think that the leadership feels it's membership supports this investment...if not my guess is they would have new leadership not soon after.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 pm

90% of union members don't give a shit what their union does beyond negotiating the collective agreement (which they do a shitty job at). No one, other than true union believers, have the time or energy to do something about it. Kinda like, I don't know, school trustees. Unions cater to a small constituency of members who are actively engaged which is tiny.

snowgirl
Stew Ingredient

Post by snowgirl » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:31 pm

Sad but true, eric. Most union members I have known don't give a shit about the union, or about power for the worker, or anything political, really. They just want a bigger paycheck.

Sigh. remember when unions did really cool stuff, like get us an 8 hour working day and a weekend?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:46 pm

Yes, theyre a necessary evil. People who have modest pay working in vulnerable conditions. So, they have a role to play for sure. They just don't do much for me. I'd prefer if I were excluded.

northern_goddess
Queen Bee

Post by northern_goddess » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:11 pm

Homerj wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm
That's fair, but last time I checked union members do vote on issues and could tell their leadership, hey we don't wish to support this cause, and they would stop.
I believe they vote on the union's budget (not specific details in line items) and as far as I remember, only the executive actually gets to vote... not the several thousand union members. So you would have to get yourself elected to the Union Executive first in order to then dig through the budgets to find the specific causes you don't wish to support (that may be lumped in with ones you do) and vote on that.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:28 pm

OK that's a reasonable explanation.
However I remember when one of the biggest public service unions here in the province wanted to support a pro palestinian (thus anti-isreal) cause.
They had to back down as many of their members balked at it.
My point being I assume if enuf members were against this large scale spending of their dues they would have to curtail it.
No such ground swell amongst union members has occurred.
So as you can imagine many folks who vote right see this as public service employees actively spending their union dues as a political weapon.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:29 pm

I can't ever recall voting on the operations of the union. There's a board and I think we elect them but again, only the most dedicated union members would even know who is running for positions.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 pm

So as you can imagine many folks who vote right see this as public service employees actively spending their union dues as a political weapon.
Maybe they should get the facts first before shooting their mouth off.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm

eric84 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:33 pm
The facts are their membership is not against their union spending a big chunk of their dues at ads directed at one specific party.
If you are that obtuse that you can't see this as a sign of aggression well then you are a stereotypical govt. employee.
Not surprising really....
You say you don't care what your union does, and that may be the case, so then you are just apathetic.
But to disingeniously say that it's just a small % who do is bullshit.
Like I said who gives a fuck if a union supports a pro palestinian cause, yet enuf members where bothered by it enuf to make a big deal about it and make the union back down.
Same unions who spend millions thru "focus on the family" don't seem to have any ground swell of their membership stating "don't spend our dues on something that is not only partisan, but are direct political attack ads".
Those are facts.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Homerj wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm
eric84 wrote:
The facts are their membership is not against their union spending a big chunk of their dues at ads directed at one specific party.
If you are that obtuse that you can't see this as a sign of aggression well then you are a stereotypical govt. employee.
You say you don't care what your union does, and that may be the case, so then you are just apathetic.
Like I said who gives a fuck if a union supports a pro palestinian cause, yet enuf members where bothered by it enuf to make a big deal about it and make the union back down.
Same unions who spend millions thru "focus on the family" don't seem to have any ground swell of their membership stating "don't spend our dues on something that is not only partisan, but are direct political attack ads".
Those are facts.
Again, you started this off with civil servants are providing massive support to the governing liberals. I've showed you how wrong that was.

coffeeguy
Stew Ingredient

Post by coffeeguy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm

Most of the union members at the company I work for vote conservative. But they elect left leaning executive who are not afraid to go after what the membership truly wants - which is higher wages.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:01 pm

eric84 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 pm
Homerj wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:10 pm
eric84 wrote:

Those are facts.
Again, you started this off with civil servants are providing massive support to the governing liberals. I've showed you how wrong that was.
You haven't shown me shit nor refuted anything I have said.
Your personal anecdotes don't mean a hill of beans, so you and your comrades don't put much stock in your bolshevik leadership....ok....but somehow that means that holds true for all civil servants?
Civil servants union dues paid for the biggest non party spending in the last provincial election here.
Those same civil servants could have said no I do not want my dues to go towards such biased politics, but they did not, as they have not in this upcoming election.
I realize this may not seem like an issue in bubble land...but it is.
So much so that when we hopefully elect a Con. govt here restrictions will be put on unions buying elections...which is funny as you and your ilk usually scream about big bad corporations, but in fact here in this nanny state it is the unions who get the big bad label.
Hope that clarifies things for you.

Homerj
Stew Ingredient

Post by Homerj » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:05 pm

coffeeguy wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 pm
Most of the union members at the company I work for vote conservative. But they elect left leaning executive who are not afraid to go after what the membership truly wants - which is higher wages.
I have zero issues with anyone going after higher wages, I see that as a union's mandate #1.
I have an issue when they use members dues to blatantly support one party when it's obvious (in your case anyways) that many of it's membership do not support this.

Regardless, I do not believe Mr. Ford will take the leadership on the first ballot so the OP is pretty much a non starter.
Even if Mr. Ford is their first choice I think many will just hold their nose and vote for one of the two ladies as they have much better chance of beating Ms. Wynne.
If there was ever an election of party over leader, this is it.

eric84

Post by eric84 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:09 pm

Manitoba actually banned union and corporate donations some time ago. That would be fine with me. The BC business community bought the Liberal government there for some time so good to hear Premier Horgan will also ban corporate and union donations there.