Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Main Course

Moderator: Moderator

User avatar
The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11455
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by The Mallard Missie » Wed May 17, 2017 10:38 am

The Green Party are offering missies free tampons, almost enough to gain my vote.
The Duck Delusion

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Wed May 17, 2017 5:07 pm

.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 pm

The Mallard Missie wrote:
Paddox1 wrote:The renationalisation of services seems expensive and slightly pointless. I can't find much else I disagree with in the rest of the manifesto.


So you are OK with supporting a leader who considered Fidel Castro a luminary and who mourned the passing of a "great man"?


I didn't say that I liked corbyn, but the policies are pretty sound within the manifesto. I look at the mess in the Middle East and some of that can be traced back to the conservatives. I don't know if you saw Emily Thornberry on Andrew marr, but this is worth watching.

Inequality is growing and growing. We are turning into a nation of glorified serfs and it's just going to get worse.



User avatar
The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11455
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by The Mallard Missie » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 am

So, if elected, the Labour Party will refuse to deal in any way with Saudi Arabia, China and all other unpleasant regimes worldwide?

I seem to recall that, when last in power, Labour singled out Burma as a pariah state whilst dealing most happily with both the Saudis and Chinese. And as for Robin Cook's so-called ethical foreign policy ...
The Duck Delusion

User avatar
Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18864
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Wellpisser » Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 pm

Why you shouldn’t vote for Jeremy Corbyn
Nick Cohen

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/08/s ... my-corbyn/

What follows is an appeal to Jeremy Corbyn supporters to think again. It’s from Chris, a Labour party member, who does not want to give his full name for fear of abuse. He has compiled a vast, but by no means exhaustive list of the moral and political failings of the Labour leader. He told me:

I’ve noticed that a few of my very clever, thoughtful, moderately left-wing friends were pro-Corbyn, which amazed me. What I discovered was that they knew almost no facts about him or his fellow travellers. I then noticed that any given critical article about Corbyn only listed one or two facts about him. Normal, good people, who aren’t political anoraks like me, don’t have time to read hundreds of articles on politics – they read a few articles and base the rest of their opinions on gut feeling and general trend of the headlines/social media. I decided to collate in one place the most striking, verifiable facts about Corbyn and the movement he represents.


They are well worth reading.



I write this as a passionate leftist and liberal. Below is a list of facts about Jeremy Corbyn which have not previously been collated in one place. The reader can make up their own mind, based on these facts. This list has been broken up into three sections: ‘Ethics’, ‘Leadership & Electability’, and ‘Social Media & Activists’.

Part One: Ethics

1. Against peace in Ireland

During the 1980s and 1990s, Jeremy Corbyn supported the IRA and opposed the Northern Ireland peace process:

By voting against the peace process and the Anglo-Irish Agreement in Parliament, as he believed republican nationalists shouldn’t have to compromise (the evidence is here and here).

By attending and speaking at annual pro-IRA commemorations for terrorists between 1986 and 1992. The programme for one such event reads: ‘In this, the conclusive phase in the war to rid Ireland of the scourge of British imperialism…force of arms is the only method capable of bringing this about’.

By aligning with terrorists. Corbyn was general secretary of the editorial board of the hard-left journal Labour Briefing which supported IRA violence and explicitly backed the Brighton Hotel Bombing, which killed 5 people and maimed 31 others. In its December 1984 leader, the editorial board ‘disassociated itself’ from an article criticising the Brighton bombing, saying the criticism was a ‘serious political misjudgement’. The board said it ‘reaffirmed its support for, and solidarity with, the Irish republican movement’, and added that ‘the British only sit up and take notice when they are bombed into it’. Alongside its editorial, the board reprinted a speech by Gerry Adams describing the bombing as a ‘blow for democracy’. The same edition carried a reader’s letter praising the ‘audacity’ of the IRA attack and stating: ‘What do you call four dead Tories? A start.’ They had previously printed the following:
We refuse to parrot the ritual condemnation of ‘violence’ because we insist on placing responsibility where it lies…. Let our Iron Lady know this: those who live by the sword shall die by it. If she wants violence, then violence she will certainly get.

If Corbyn wanted to support a unified Ireland through peaceful means he could have supported the SDLP (Northern Ireland’s Social Democratic and Labour Party), which wanted to unify Ireland through a democratic process. Instead, Corbyn attended ‘Troops Out’ rallies where the SDLP were denounced as sell-outs. In 2015, on BBC Radio Ulster, Corbyn refused five times to specifically condemn IRA violence and terrorism. He hung up rather than answer the question. You can listen here.

Corbyn also appointed as his Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell, who opposed the peace process as late as 1998 as it meant compromise. McDonnell also said (before, admittedly, later apologising):

It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA. Because of the bravery of the IRA and people like Bobby Sands we now have a peace process.
It is worth remembering that the IRA bombed, shot, or beat to death 1,696 men, women and children, and of course did not achieve a united Ireland.

2. For the Iranian religious right

Jeremy Corbyn has been paid £20,000 to appear five times on the totalitarian Iranian regime’s propaganda channel, which was banned in the UK for its role in filming the tortured forced-confession of Iranian liberal journalist Maziar Bahari. By hosting interviews, Corbyn gives the propaganda the ‘credibility’ of a Western politician. It’s fascinating to hear Iranian democracy campaigner Maziar Bahari’s own thoughts on Corbyn, who he describes as ‘a useful idiot’, and goes on to say:

People who present programmes for Press TV and get paid for it should be really ashamed of themselves — especially if they call themselves liberals and people who are interested in human rights.
The Iranian regime executes gay people, democracy activists, Kurds, and orders the rape of female prisoners. But Corbyn is happy to take their money and aid their propaganda campaign. Watch the end of this clip as Jeremy hosts a caller who describes the BBC as having hosted ‘Zionist liars’.

3. For anti-Semites

Jeremy Corbyn has praised and supported Raed Salah, an Islamist who has been accused of spreading the Blood Libel (an old antisemitic conspiracy that Jews use the blood of gentile children to make their bread). Salah has also been charged with inciting racial hatred and violence, and has claimed the Jews were behind 9/11. Corbyn has said: ‘Salah is a very honoured citizen’, ‘Salah’s is a voice that must be heard’, ‘Salah is far from a dangerous man’, and ‘I look forward to giving you tea on the terrace because you deserve it!’.

Corbyn wrote in defence of a vicar who suggested that 9/11 was an inside job by the Jews.

Corbyn invited Hamas and Hizbollah to Parliament and called them his ‘friends’. Bear in mind that Hamas’s Charter is explicitly genocidal – it makes it clear its supporters want to kill Jews and repeats Nazi conspiracy theories. Their founding Charter also rules out any peaceful solution to the Israeli-Palestine problem. It says:
Initiatives, and so-called peaceful solutions and international conferences, are in contradiction to the principles of the Islamic Resistance Movement… There is no solution for the Palestinian question except through jihad.

Corbyn doesn’t invite extremist Zionists to parliament, only extremist anti-Semites.

Corbyn was also a long-time backer of an anti-Israel group founded by Paul Eisen, attending its 2013 event even after Eisen had outed himself as a Holocaust denier years earlier.

4. For Putin

As his right-hand man, Corbyn appointed Seumas Milne, who has argued we should focus more on the positives of Stalin’s communist dictatorship. Milne was also part of the pro-Stalin and pro-Soviet fellow travellers of Fergus Nicholson’s wing of the British Communist Party (he was not an official member), and worked at the pro-Soviet paper Straight Left. Milne has also blamed Russia’s recent invasion of the Ukraine on the West, and has hosted a propaganda media conference for Vladimir Putin.

5. Against self-determination

Corbyn suggested that the Falkland Islands should be shared with Argentina, ignoring a referendum in which 99.8 per cent of the islanders voted to remain British.



Part Two: Electability and Leadership

Jeremy Corbyn has repeatedly demonstrated he isn’t a viable leader. Here’s how:

Corbyn has shown he has little idea about how to handle the media. Even left-wing newspapers such as The Guardian and The Independent have complained that the Corbyn team, through incompetency, release their press statements too late to give them full coverage the next day. One example was the announcement of an internal inquiry into anti-Semitism in the Labour party, wider coverage of which would have taken pressure off Corbyn and the Labour party. Instead, the announcement was made late on a Friday night – meaning the saga dragged on.

On national television, Jeremy Corbyn refused to back a shoot-to-kill policy if a Paris-style machine gun attack happened in London. He then changed his mind and backtracked a day later.
Corbyn’s botched attempt at a publicity stunt on a ‘ram-packed’ train was questioned by Virgin who released CCTV images showing the Labour leader appearing to walk past empty seats before he had filmed a video showing him sitting on the floor of a train carriage. Another image released by Virgin also showed Corbyn having later found a seat.

The following advisors and colleagues have resigned under Corbyn or disowned him in the last ten months, citing incompetence and his unelectability:
Neale Coleman, the former aide to Ken Livingstone, resigned following the unexpected announcement of policies he had not be consulted on.

Richard Murphy, the left wing tax specialist who was initially supportive of Corbyn, and whose policies the Labour leader took up, has now disowned him due to his failure to create a detailed plan. He said he had lost faith in Corbyn’s vision.

David Blanchflower resigned, citing his lack of ability and electability. And Simon Wren-Lewis criticised the Labour leadership for not campaigning ‘more strongly‘ in the EU referendum.

World famous left-wing economist Thomas Picketty has also resigned as Corbyn’s economic advisor, criticising his ‘weak’ EU campaign.

The Labour MP Thangam Debonaire disowned Corbyn after saying the Labour leader hired and fired her while she was receiving cancer treatment – all without a single word. Her full, shocking account can be read here.

The Labour MP Lilian Greenwood, who never publicly criticised Corbyn, and who voted with him on Syria, resigned as the Shadow Transport shadow, claiming Corbyn has repeatedly undermined her. Oh, and there’s also….

The 172 Labour MPs, whose views range from centrist to centre-left to fully left-wing, who voted that they had no confidence in Corbyn’s leadership.

But these aren’t the only indications Corbyn isn’t up to the job:

Corbyn has the lowest public approval rating for an opposition leader after ten months since records began. An Ipsos Mori poll said Corbyn’s rating was -41, compared to -32 for Michael Foot at the same time during his doomed leadership.

Every large-scale study into why Labour lost the 2015 general election came to the same conclusion: Labour was not trusted on the economy. Corbyn’s response? To promise £500billion in spending but refuse to say where the money will come from.

Jeremy Corbyn also had a disastrous referendum campaign. Having been pro-Brexit for decades – voting against Common market membership in 1975, and against the Maastricht Treaty and the Lisbon Treaty as an MP – his ‘pro-Remain’ campaign was, at best, half-hearted. What’s more:
Corbyn missed the first day of the Labour ‘Remain‘ campaign so he could attend an anti-nuclear weapons rally instead.

Leaked emails show that during the EU referendum campaign, Labour party ‘Remain’ campaigners came to the conclusion that the Corbyn Team were deliberately sabotaging their efforts.
A full 45 per cent of the millions of Labour voters weren’t aware that Labour was for ‘Remain’.

Corbyn’s first actions after the referendum was to, unwisely, call for the immediate invoking of Article 50.


Part Three: Social Media & Activists

It cannot be emphasised enough that abusive Corbyn supporters only represent a vocal minority. However it is also clear that Labour wasn’t experiencing the problems of abuse and intimidation prior to the birth of this current movement. In the process of fact checking, it became apparent that some incidents of abuse may have been exaggerated in order to criticise the pro-Corbyn movement. However, it’s simply not possible to claim that the hundreds-upon-hundreds of separately documented incidents, abusive voicemails and phone calls, physical confrontations, police callouts and death threats are all exaggerations. Here are a list of just some of them:

Over 40 female MPs have written to Jeremy Corbyn pleading with him to try to curtail the abuse they receive from his supporters. It’s not clear what Jeremy Corbyn has actually done about this issue.
Across the country, Labour constituency meetings have been temporarily suspended by the NEC because of the levels of abuse and intimidation taking place at some of these gatherings.

Since challenging Corbyn’s leadership, Labour MP Angela Eagle has been called a ‘dyke’ at a constituency meeting, and has been told by police that, for now, she should not hold constituency surgeries because her safety cannot be guaranteed.

BBC journalist Laura Kuenssberg has received abuse from Corbyn supporters, including being called a ‘whore’ and a ‘bitch’.

At the release of the Labour anti-Semitism report, Labour MP Ruth Smeeth was abused by a Corbyn supporter. Meanwhile, Corbyn apparently watched and said nothing.
Of course, there are many other facts to bear in mind when making your choice for Labour leader. It is up to each individual to vote with their conscience, but all of us must strive to vote based on the facts.

Yours sincerely,

CG (name anonymised to avoid harassment and abuse)

TheDevil
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by TheDevil » Wed May 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Two more weeks and Corbyn is finished
I'm sure,behind the scenes, there are people already preparing themselves for a leadership bid

Yvette Cooper is the bookies favourite at 9/4 at the moment, funny to see Tony Blair is back as well @25/1
http://www.paddypower.com/bet/politics/ ... _ids=64934
الإله ليس عظيما

User avatar
Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18864
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Wellpisser » Tue May 30, 2017 11:06 pm

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn

Jeremy Corbyn‏Verified account @jeremycorbyn 8h8 hours ago

Only Labour can be trusted to unlock the talent of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people. pic.twitter.com/St1TldsyVB

Now check out Tory candidate James Cleverleys twitter feed tonight. Devastating.

https://twitter.com/JamesCleverly

User avatar
Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18864
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Wellpisser » Tue May 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Following Corbyns disastrous appearance on BBC Womens Hour the host Emma Barnett is subjected to the usual stream of anti-Semitic abuse from Corbynistas. Disgusting people.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Wed May 31, 2017 5:56 am

Wellpisser wrote:https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn

Jeremy Corbyn‏Verified account @jeremycorbyn 8h8 hours ago

Only Labour can be trusted to unlock the talent of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic people. pic.twitter.com/St1TldsyVB

Now check out Tory candidate James Cleverleys twitter feed tonight. Devastating.

https://twitter.com/JamesCleverly


That corbyn ad is simply awful. Middle-class white-men to the rescue? I can't stand corbyns holier than thou smugness.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 67250
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:38 am

Surely, now, one year and seven months on from Shunter making his bold prediction, Corbyn is finally moving to the end game.

Any increase in the Tory majority (even if it is one seat) must see him go.

User avatar
equus
Modern Leftits
Posts: 18266
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by equus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:56 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Surely, now, one year and seven months on from Shunter making his bold prediction, Corbyn is finally moving to the end game.

Any increase in the Tory majority (even if it is one seat) must see him go.

Yep, the end game must be any time soon. As predictions go, this is second only to Mis's great Australian housing price crash.
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

goo.gl/5i3gvB

User avatar
Flobster!
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29055
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Flobster! » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:00 pm

Come on, Labour has gone from looking at a historic losing landslide to polling better than it has for a decade. And that's all down to Corbyn.

Unless it is a landslide Corbyn is safe.

I hope Labour gets enough new MPs to allow a proper purge of the backstabbers.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:29 pm

I don't mind him staying long enough to ensure a proper de are and leadership election. Ed M went too early and that allowed corbyn in.

I would hope for all our war in that period. What corbyn has done to democracy in this country is just awful.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18864
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Wellpisser » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:25 pm

shunter wrote:I don't mind him staying long enough to ensure a proper de are and leadership election. Ed M went too early and that allowed corbyn in.

I would hope for all our war in that period. What corbyn has done to democracy in this country is just awful.


Corbyn will not go he will stay on and in September Labour will implode.

User avatar
Flobster!
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29055
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Flobster! » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:10 pm

Well, this thread has a few more years to run, then.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 pm

I'd be amused to still be posting about corbyn's demise in five years time.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 67250
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:17 pm

Hilarious. Labour doomed never to be electable.

Elections and new Governments every year. Just like post-war Italy
Last edited by Stephen_Dedalus on Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 67250
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:18 pm

Whilst we leave the EU without a deal.

And the economy goes down the shitter.

And all those who found it hilarious, move abroad.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:20 pm

Remember: no one is immortal
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:21 pm

Remember, this election was not needed. It was a vanity project by Theresa May. It may well have backfired.

We'd gone on to fixed term elections which she then went against. I have little sympathy.

User avatar
Flobster!
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 29055
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:12 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Flobster! » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:28 pm

Might not be correct, but I read : first increase in Labour seats since 1997.

20 years.

And this was going to wipe out Labour.
The pies and sausage rolls are good in Australia - Iolar

User avatar
DCComic
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 13550
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by DCComic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:34 pm

Imagine, if he hadn't had to deal with tne wankers repeatedly trying to stitch him up?
פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27799
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by leela » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Things seemed to change radically, quickly, and seemingly out of nowhere. It's really odd.

Politics within parties seems to be more vicious than anything between parties.
Pass the wine...

User avatar
equus
Modern Leftits
Posts: 18266
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by equus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:09 am

I've just woken up. What's happening? Is it the end game at last? Is Corbyn finished? Has the Australian housing market collapsed?
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

goo.gl/5i3gvB

User avatar
erkat
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9096
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by erkat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:10 am

Betfair have just said Corbyn is now favourite to be PM.

Endgame is in sight!

User avatar
equus
Modern Leftits
Posts: 18266
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by equus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:12 am

erkat wrote:Betfair have just said Corbyn is now favourite to be PM.

Endgame is in sight!

I must have completely misunderstood the game then. I TRUSTED YOU SHUNTER!!!
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

goo.gl/5i3gvB

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:16 am

Endgame is like playing the Game of Life. Corbyn wins a car, a mansion at number 10 and gets to fill it with his pink and blue plastic pins.

User avatar
equus
Modern Leftits
Posts: 18266
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by equus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:18 am

Well I'd be hoping to win a lifetime supply of latte to sip, misen.
If I can shoot rabbits, then I can shoot fascists.

goo.gl/5i3gvB

TheDevil
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 1992
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by TheDevil » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Labour didn't do well because of Corbyn, but because of May
الإله ليس عظيما

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 67250
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:05 pm

TheDevil wrote:Labour didn't do well because of Corbyn, but because of May


Exactly

User avatar
erkat
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9096
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by erkat » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:08 pm

TheDevil wrote:Labour didn't do well because of Corbyn, but because of May


Wrong. How many of the Labour voters were from new, first time voters? I'd put that down to liking Corbyn rather than disliking May.

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:22 pm

Arguably it was because of May. A terrible manifesto; uncosted and weak; u turn after u turn; being dismissive of the electorate; stage managed events; grating sound bites; showing as much depth as a puddle; selling herself as a difficult woman with her finger on the nuke button; spearheading a negative, personal campaign aimed at personality politics.

But corbyn's costed manifesto offers hope, especially for the younger voters who have grown up under austerity and have suffered from it. He ran a positive campaign about how they can make life better for the most vulnerable: the elderly, children, the disabled, the poor. He showed that progressive, kinder politics has a place.

But let's not forget, Theresa May held this election for no reason other than to crush the Labour Party for the next decade or so. She thought she was unassailable, she wasn't.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 67250
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:29 pm

It isn't the beginning of the end, but rather, the end of the beginning.

User avatar
Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 67250
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Where is all this money on welfare gong to come from when the economy goes down the shitter?

The dream ticket of Corbyn-McDonnell will ensure Labour are the opposition for the next decade.

User avatar
Kilombo
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 13827
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Kilombo » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:38 pm

shunter wrote:1. Corbyn has ruled out a free vote for labour MPs on action against Syria.
2. Labour Party policy is there should be no strikes against Syria without UN approval.
3. UN have given approval
4. Cue .....what exactly? Mass rebellion by shadow cabinet? Resignations and sackings and a vote of no confidence in Corbyn? Or his resignation?

Could be all over by Christmas.

You were pretty wrong with that OP as well as many others. Not the 1st time that politics are really very dinamic and unpredictable.
What I don't understand in the british voters that they first voted for the Brexit and now they did all the contrary. That makes no sense and has no logic. You are making yourself a lot of trouble..
Prost!

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:44 pm

There were a lot of people who voted yesterday who didn't vote last year, I reckon. I would imagine that it will come down to the 'young' vote.

There was a lot of complacency that we would stay in last year and I think the idea of a stonking majority spurred the underdogs on.

I don't think it's clear yet where the ukip vote has gone. That will also be interesting.

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Not sure I follow. If you're saying the uk is dumb for voting brexit and all the current chaos stems from that, then I won't disagree.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:46 am

The Book of Jeremy Corbyn

And it came to pass, in the land of Britain, that the High Priestess went unto the people and said, Behold, I bring ye tidings of great joy. For on the eighth day of the sixth month there shall be a general election.

And the people said, Not another one.

And they waxed wroth against the High Priestess and said, Didst thou not sware, even unto seven times, that thou wouldst not call a snap election?

And the High Priestess said, I know, I know. But Brexit is come upon us, and I must go into battle against the tribes of France, Germany, and sundry other holiday destinations. And I must put on the armor of a strong majority in the people’s house. Therefore go ye out and vote.

And there came from the temple pollsters, who said, Surely this woman will flourish. For her enemy is as grass; she cutteth him down. He is as straw in the wind, and he will blow away. And the trumpet of her triumph shall sound in all the land.

And the High Priestess said, Piece of cake.

And there came from the same country a prophet, whose name was Jeremy. His beard was as the pelt of beasts, and his raiments were not of the finest. And he cried aloud in the wilderness and said, Behold, I bring you hope.


And suddenly there was with him a host of young people. And he said unto them, Ye shall study and grow wise in all things, and I shall not ask ye for gold. And the sick shall be made well, and they also will heal freely. And he promised unto them all manner of goodly things.

And the young people said unto him, How shall these things be rendered, seeing that thou hast no money in thy purse?

And he spake unto them in a voice of sounding brass and said, Soak the rich. And again, Pull down the mighty from their seats.

And the young people went absolutely nuts.

And they hearkened unto the word of Jeremy, and believed. For they said unto themselves, Lo, he bringeth unto us the desire of our hearts. He cometh by bicycle, with a helmet upon his head. And he eateth neither flesh nor fowl, according to the Scriptures. For man cannot live by bread alone, but hummus is quite another matter.

And the High Priestess saw all these things and was sore. And she gathered unto her the chief scribes and the Pharisees and said unto them, What the hell is going on?

And they said unto her, It is a blip, as if it were a rough place upon the road.

But they said unto themselves, When the government was upon her shoulders, this woman was mighty. But now that she has gone abroad unto every corner of the land, she stumbleth. For surely it is written that ruling and campaigning are as oil and water, and there shall be no concord betwixt them.

And the chief scribes wrote upon tablets, saying, Jeremy is false of tongue. He hideth wickedness in his heart. And his sums do not add up.

And nobody paid any attention.

And the elders rose up and said to the young people, If ye choose Jeremy, he will bring distress in your toils and wailing upon your streets. Do ye not remember the nineteen-seventies?

And the young people said, The what?

And the elders spake again, and said to the young people, Beware, for he gave succor in days of yore to the I.R.A.

And the young people said, The what?

And the young people said, Jeremy shall bring peace unto all nations, for he hateth the engines of war that take wing across the heavens. And he showeth respect for all peoples, even unto the transgender community.

And the elders said, The what?

And it came to pass that the heathen of this land came among the people, with fire and sword, and slew many among the faithful. And great was the lamentation.

And the High Priestess waxed exceeding wroth and said to the people, Fear not. For I shall bind your wounds and give ye shelter from the heathen, and shall take up the sword against them.

And there came again pollsters from the temple, who said, Will the people not vote for her in this hour of need?

And nobody paid any attention.

And it came to the vote.

And the elders went up to vote, and the young people. And the young people were as a multitude. And in the hours of darkness there was much counting. And the young people watched by night, and the elders went to bed.

And there came in the morning news that the High Priestess had vanquished the prophet Jeremy. But the triumph of the High Priestess was as the width of a nail. And she was vexed.

And the elders and the chief scribes and the Pharisees spoke among themselves, yea, even in the corners of their houses.

And there was great rejoicing amidst the multitude of the young. And they took strong wine, and did feast among themselves. And there were twelve baskets left over.

And of the pollsters there was no sign.

And the people saw Jeremy and said, Surely this man has won? Doth he not skip in gladness like a young hart upon the hills?

And there was great murmuring among the elders. And they said unto themselves, Weep not. For the High Priestess doth but prepare the way. Cometh there not one who is greater than she?

And they said, Behold, for the hour of the redeemer is upon us. And his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the Prince of Peace. And they cried in one voice, Boris.

And the young people said, Oh, shit.

And the people gave tongue, and made supplication unto the Lord, saying, Lord, let our cry come unto thee.

And the Lord thought the whole thing was absolutely hilarious.

And then the people said, Lord, what shall we do regarding Brexit? For henceforth the High Priestess shall be as weak as a newborn lamb. How shall we hope for continued access to the single market?

And the Lord said, The what?



http://www.newyorker.com/news/daily-com ... corbyn/amp

User avatar
harry_flashman
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 10084
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by harry_flashman » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:01 am

TheDevil wrote:Labour didn't do well because of Corbyn, but because of May


There was clearly an element of protest vote in his 'victory' especially with regards to brexit. Will a resurgent labour see this result as a queue to lurch further to the left and make more promises that they cannot possible deliver upon. I not convinced anything has really changed. He is still a goon fronting a party of goons.
Hello Flashman

coward, cad, lecher and knave-of-all-trades

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Vodd » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:48 am

TheDevil wrote:Labour didn't do well because of Corbyn, but because of May


You're an idiot.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
Vodd
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:39 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Vodd » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:51 am

Kilombo wrote:
What I don't understand in the british voters that they first voted for the Brexit and now they did all the contrary. That makes no sense and has no logic. You are making yourself a lot of trouble..


Brexit was a 52 - 48% split. This election was a 43 -41% split.so it's not that contrary and without a certain logic.
They tire of quiet, that have known the storm.

User avatar
The Mallard Missie
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 11455
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by The Mallard Missie » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:51 am

Vodd wrote:
TheDevil wrote:Labour didn't do well because of Corbyn, but because of May


You're an idiot.


You've only just realised that?
The Duck Delusion

User avatar
leela
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 27799
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by leela » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:06 pm

Great find, Paddox.
Pass the wine...

User avatar
Paddox1
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 7415
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Paddox1 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:09 pm

leela wrote:Great find, Paddox.


I've just worked out some point to twitter and it threw this up.

Best paragraph ever:

And there came from the same country a prophet, whose name was Jeremy. His beard was as the pelt of beasts, and his raiments were not of the finest. And he cried aloud in the wilderness and said, Behold, I bring you hope.

User avatar
erkat
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 9096
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by erkat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:09 am

I can't believe we all let the second anniversary of this thread pass us by.
Sad!

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm

I’m getting the sense that the public are tiring of corbyns hard brexit support of the Tory’s policies and inevitably a dip in the polls will lead to questions about his age and suitability growing.

We’re could be approaching the end game. You can bank that.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:22 pm

https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/no-jeremy-corbyn

Are we perhaps approaching the endgame?
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18864
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Wellpisser » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:40 pm

If this is true he must resign

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... i-semitic/

Jeremy Corbyn was a member of a private Facebook group which posted anti-Semitic conspiracies, it emerges

Harry Yorke, political correspondent
7 MARCH 2018 • 6:32PM
Jeremy Corbyn was a member of a private Facebook group in which members published dozens of anti-Semitic messages and holocaust denial theories, it emerged yesterday.

Labour last night confirmed it was investigating up to half a dozen party members for their involvement in the group, with Corbyn allies Clive Lewis and Chris Williamson identified as members of the group.

Messages published on Palestine Live include conspiracy theories about the Rothschild family, supposed Israeli involvement in the 9/11 attacks and links to material produced by neo-Nazi groups.

In one of the more disturbing posts, an image was posted of a pig with the words “Israel Lobby” branded on its side, which showed four politicians suckling from it.

Last night a spokesman for Mr Corbyn confirmed that the Labour leader had previously been a member of the group but did not have any knowledge of anti-Semitic posts published in it.

Both Mr Williamson and Mr Lewis said they were unaware of any anti-Semitic or racist content on the group and had now removed themselves from it.

It comes amid a growing anti-Semitism row within Labour which has resulted in the suspension of dozens of party members, including former London mayor Ken Livingstone, since Mr Corbyn’s election as leader.

Separately, the founder of the left-wing group Momentum, Jon Lansman, has been subjected to a wave of racist abuse online following his decision to stand as as a candidate to become Labour’s next general secretary.

Mr Lansman, who is Jewish, was accused of being “power mad” and plotting a “Zionist takeover” in a series of posts published on Twitter.

Palestine Live was founded in 2013 by Elleanne Green, a Labour member, and includes the ousted Labour activist Jackie Walker and holocaust denier Paul Eisen among its members.

Ms Green declined to comment when approached by The Daily Telegraph.

Baroness Tonge, who was suspended from the Liberal Democrats in 2016 after hosting an event where an audience member blamed Jewish people for the Holocaust, was also an active member for four years.

Mr Corbyn was a member of the group from at least October 2014 and is believed to have quit several weeks before his election as Labour leader in September 2015.

A file seen by The Daily Telegraph shows that Mr Corbyn was active in the group for several months, commenting on articles and responding to messages from other members.

His activities on the page include praising a speech given by Dr Mads Gilbert, a self-proclaimed Marxist and pro-Palestine activist, in which Mr Corbyn said he would “delighted” to invite “my friend” to Westminster.

On the 4 October 2014, Mr Corbyn also commented on an article about former Israeli foreign minister Tzipi Livini, who he said had played a prominent role in “Operation Cast Lead”, the 2009 invasion of the Gaza Strip.

In the same discussion, other members of the group referred to Israeli politicians mentioned in the article as “Zios”.

There is no suggestion that Mr Corbyn himself published content which could be deemed anti-Semitic.

Palestine Live was exposed on Wednesday by researcher and writer David Collier, who published details of the group's activities online.

Speaking to The Daily Telegraph, Tory MP Andrew Percy said the disclosures highlighted Mr Corbyn’s “poor judgment” and failure to stamp out anti-Semitism in the Labour Party.

His comments were echoed by Joseph Glasman of the Campaign Against Anti-Semitism, who said there was “no conceivable justification for Jeremy Corbyn’s participation in this group.”

“As a result of these allegations, we will be filing a disciplinary complaint to the Labour Party against Jeremy Corbyn, Clive Lewis...and Jack Bond, submitting that participation in such a Facebook group is “grossly detrimental” to the Party,” he added.

A spokesman for Mr Corbyn confirmed that up to six members of the Labour Party were now under investigation and disciplinary processes had begun.

“Jeremy and the Labour Party are implacably opposed to all forms of antisemitism and will take action to stamp it out in and around the Labour movement,” he added.

“Jeremy doesn’t welcome the support of anyone involved in anti-Semitic activity or posts and if they involve Labour Party members they will be investigated.

“I don’t think anyone is suggesting that Jeremy posted anti-Semitic messages [in the group]. It was a group about supporting Palestinian rights and if people in that group posted anti-Semitic comments they will be investigated and action will be taken.

“There were thousands of members of this group, it is repugnant if there are antisemitic posts - and I gather there are.”

Labour under Corbyn-for the many, not the Jew

User avatar
shunter
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 17014
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:56 pm

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by shunter » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm

What do you mean: he must resign? The man is a proven cunt and 40% of the electorate don’t care. Everytime something more cuntish is revealed about him, it’s just added to the list and people ignore it.

I think you mean: he should resign, to which the correct response is: he should never have been in the job in the first place.
1988: "We have a climate in Britain in which business wants to succeed and can succeed." Margaret Thatcher, speech to launch the European Single Market

2018: "Fuck business." Boris Johnson

User avatar
Wellpisser
Stew Ingredient
Posts: 18864
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:38 am

Re: Corbyn - moving to the endgame

Post by Wellpisser » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:16 pm

shunter wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:03 pm
What do you mean: he must resign? The man is a proven cunt and 40% of the electorate don’t care. Everytime something more cuntish is revealed about him, it’s just added to the list and people ignore it.

I think you mean: he should resign, to which the correct response is: he should never have been in the job in the first place.
You are of course 100% correct

Post Reply