Main Course
erkat
Stew Ingredient

Re: Sticky British Election?

Post by erkat » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:12 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am
I heard a wise thing recently.

Voting is not a sports event. You’re not thrilling at your team doing whatever it takes to win.

It’s not a marriage. You’re not holding out waiting for the special one who does everything you need.

It’s catching a bus. You get the first one that gets you closest to where you want to go, or you’re standing in the rain like an idiot.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:26 am

Oh, I’m voting Labour. But it would be wise to acknowledge the shit we’re getting into, it’s a different flavour to the shit we’re currently in.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:30 am

I think that we might actually see a Tory douse a homeless person in petrol or, at the very least, kill a puppy during this campaign. If Labour can't beat that lot, will Corbyn finally realise that the public doesn't trust him?
I like big quotes and I cannot lie

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:37 am

It’s pretty dark! Conservatives already sit in the same group at the EU Parliament as anti-semites like Poland’s Law and Justice Party.

That libertarian conference I wrote about featured an appearance by Paul Embury, former leader of the Fire Brigades Union, sacked for racism. He LOVES the Law and Justice Party and the libertarians love him.

So we’re driving towards an authoritarian ethnic nationalism from both left and right. That seems like something you’d not want to get stuck in due to a misplaced sense of loyalty to your party.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:07 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:26 am
Oh, I’m voting Labour.
What a cunt.

Corbyn speaks to you? What a cunt.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:13 am

We have a parliamentary system here. I don’t vote for a head of state, and I don’t vote for the leader of a party unless I’m a member.

So, you’re wrong yet again.

shunter
Stew Ingredient

Post by shunter » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 am

This election above all others, you need to vote for the individual, not the party, not the leader.
We’re fucked.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:09 am

I read a short post by ben about this topic, but can someone explain to me how bad is the (likely) antisemiticism/racism in Labour.

Is the party leaders like Corbyn and co.

a) create a culture to encourage it
b) willingly tolerate it for some reasons
c) unwillingly to take appropriate measures to punish those who are guilty of it and prevent further offenses for some reasons
d) took appropriate measures to address the problem
e) Labour has no problem with racism/antisemticism more than any other decent political party or civil society on average

Thanks.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:19 am

My impression is that the Conservative party has been almost completely overtaken by the right flank of the party (which will do everything to keep each other in power and fill their own pocket) and the moderate part of the party has been pushed out, so even if the party will go back to political centre - right, it will take some time and the next generation, and that is a big 'if'.

Does Labour have a similar problem but on the left (and antisemetic?) flank? In the media it was mostly about the extreme lack of political competence and shortage of backbone of Corbyn and his entourage in the party, but how does the party compare to the Tory in this regard?

brodie_bruce
Stew Ingredient

Post by brodie_bruce » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:36 am

The lucky bastards......
strong stable.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Head high and fuck ‘em all.

DCComic
Stew Ingredient

Post by DCComic » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:02 am

desertstorm wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:09 am
I read a short post by ben about this topic, but can someone explain to me how bad is the (likely) antisemiticism/racism in Labour.

Is the party leaders like Corbyn and co.

a) create a culture to encourage it
b) willingly tolerate it for some reasons
c) unwillingly to take appropriate measures to punish those who are guilty of it and prevent further offenses for some reasons
d) took appropriate measures to address the problem
e) Labour has no problem with racism/antisemticism more than any other decent political party or civil society on average

Thanks.
Somewhere between c and d.
Started off with defensive denial frontbencher back foot, had since done more than any other party to police a membership that is many times as big.

Peoe are quick to say Labour should have done more, but never balance that with the obvious truth that all others are doing less.

For example, Livingstone was suspended for ‘suggesting that Hitler supported Zionism’

While Johnson (Picaninnies, watermelon smiles, Muslim women like letterboxes etc etc etc) was elected leader and anointed PM

פולאר הוא שקרן - I want my fucking money back - The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally - It would be delightful to cl yo a cunt to your face.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:16 am

desertstorm wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:19 am
My impression is that the Conservative party has been almost completely overtaken by the right flank of the party (which will do everything to keep each other in power and fill their own pocket) and the moderate part of the party has been pushed out, so even if the party will go back to political centre - right, it will take some time and the next generation, and that is a big 'if'.

Does Labour have a similar problem but on the left (and antisemetic?) flank? In the media it was mostly about the extreme lack of political competence and shortage of backbone of Corbyn and his entourage in the party, but how does the party compare to the Tory in this regard?
Hi!

I don’t think you can really compare the two parties as having a similar problem.

Certainly, many of the Conservative front bench amd MPs, especially those who were pushed out of the May government and are now back in - Johnson, Raab, Patel, Gove, Mogg - are right wing to the point of alt.right and entertain some powerful opinions about their authority as government over legal institutions and their superiority over people as winners in their system.

And politically the Labour Party has become more influenced by the far left than at any time since the 80s. But in terms of policy Labour doesn’t particularly differ from any other European left party and in fact looks to the US for policy ideas on how to enable a more equitable society.

However, the arrival of people attached to Militant or the SWP back into Labour has also meant the return of a narrow-minded, exclusive and administratively inept practice. So individuals, like George Galloway, Chris Williamson, Paul Embury who exploit left concerns like the power of global financial institutions and the rights of marginalised people to push their racist agenda were able to get in there and form powerful blocs online and in local parties. I’ve seen it where I live - characters who hadn’t apparently been active for decades turned up to Lewisham CLP and used their knowledge of party procedure to kill debates, shut down meetings and drive moderates away. Now apparently they just meet to drink real ale and swap Communist era badges.

Labour management, locally and at NEC level, were too slow to recognise this and saw accusations from outside the movement as attacks on it. And administrative incompetence ensured that complaints from the grassroots were stuck at junior office level or, again, taken as attacks on the movement. Mismanagement of a 400,000 strong membership and a lack of awareness of what it means to represent that.

But compare that to Conservative Party membership, roughly 150,000 in 2015 and growing to 180,000 after Brexit, the collapse of UKIP and the election of Boris Johnson. Something happened there.

The utter failure of the hard left’s campaign to deselect moderate MPs, even after they thought they’d managed to enable a sympathetic NEC, and the NEC’s expulsion of MPs and candidates involved bears contrasting with the Conservatives expulsion of moderates from the parliamentary party and the resignation of so many moderate MPs in the election. You could say that the radical attack on the Conservative Party was a success while Labour managed to hold off theirs.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:38 am

leela wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:19 am
it’s alarming how many normal politicians are leaving so we’re left with the corbyns and Rees-Moggs of the world.

We’re fucked.
Yes. I find all these resignations terrifying. If the tories win, our government will be disturbingly right-wing, with not a dissenter or moderating influence to be seen.
Ahh, we have that and it's not so bad.

Oh wait. Yes it is. You're fucked, sorry.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:45 am

I was surprised to learn today that May and Corbyn didn't have each other's mobile numbers. I'd be expecting the PM and leader of the opposition to be having conversations once or twice per week.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:10 pm

You also don’t have a political dialogue dominated by Second World War metaphors, so who is to say which is best?

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:12 pm

The Greens party have now formed an agreement with the Lib Dems and Plaid Cymru and are standing aside in each others potential winning seats instead of splitting the vote.
(like the 2nd highest vote getter is giving way to the party with the bigger chance of overthrowing the conservatives)

this is all for the bigger cause of remaining in the EU.

I won't leave a link as I'd expect the locals to be up with this news.

So there's your coalition.

oh fuckit, here's a link..
The Liberal Democrats, Plaid Cymru and the Greens have finalised a plan to step aside for each other in 60 seats across England and Wales in the general election. The alliance is intended to give a free run to one pro-remain party in each constituency.

The agreement, which does not include Labour, covers 49 seats in England and 11 in Wales. It was made under the banner of a cross-party group called Unite to Remain, which has spent several months trying to broker the plan.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... toral-pact
Last edited by بھائی اوتار لینا on Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:15 pm

I'm also surprised that the Canadian election is ostensibly more important than the UK on this forum. Who gives a fuck about Canada? Seriously?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:30 pm

The Remain alliance - LD, Green and Plaid Cymru candidates standing aside for each other in marginal seats - will present some interesting results.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 88856.html

Full list of seats at the link. Could be a success. Only 60 seats in play but the deal seems to been to give LD big names to beat like Dominic Raab, Zac Goldsmith and Jeremy Hunt, while Greens get a run for their most experienced candidates like deputy leader Jonathan Bartley and former MEP Molly Scott Cato.

Also standing aside for Anna Soubry and Dominic Grieve, Independents, so these are some big experienced politicians involved.

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:02 pm

No fucken shit hey...

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:08 pm

Hey thanks DC and Chi, those are clarifying answers.

The point of the comparison of the two is to see which party has a bigger chance to get their act together in the (hopefully near) future and in a better position to do a normal job to run the country.

Knowing none of us has a crytal ball of course.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:40 pm

I think if we’re waiting for politics everywhere to get its act together and find some kind of centre ground like they used to do we’ll end up disappointed. Neoliberalism had a good 30 years but it’s a dirty word for left and right now.

Which is by no means a bad thing, it’s just up for debate how the state chooses to manage capitalism.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:29 pm

You could be right, its just that I see the current western political systems have been getting more polarised, chaotic and ungovernable. It seems the system is no longer suitable for our current societies. People only get more frustrated and losing trust, and I have yet seen one example which manages to get out to the other side of the tunnel with promising result.
Last edited by desertstorm on Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:31 pm

I wish I knew.

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:44 pm

Iolar wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:15 pm
I'm also surprised that the Canadian election is ostensibly more important than the UK on this forum. Who gives a fuck about Canada? Seriously?
it's the reality of post Brexit Britain, they'll be the new Peru

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:33 pm

This is a succinct article, for reference, about how some Labour followers will forgive an individual’s sketchy politics as long as they’re reliably hateful.
Chris Williamson is gone but the Labour Party remains a frightening place for Britain’s Jews

By no plausible standards could Chris Williamson, who was yesterday blocked by Labour’s national executive from standing as a candidate, be judged a left-winger. He has become a totem for the radical left for the sole reason that he has fairly remorselessly insulted or baited Britain’s Jewish community. His resignation letter from the party was entirely in accord with this record: a bizarre, ranting screed in which he contemptibly insinuated that he was a victim of nefarious Israeli interference in British politics.

Relief that the party has finally barred this demagogue as a candidate can’t but be tempered by the knowledge that he represents an ideological strain that has grown within Labour since Jeremy Corbyn became leader, and that there are others like him. To those who hold centre-left views and have usually (in my case, almost always) voted Labour, the state of the party is astonishing and appalling. This is not some fringe revolutionary sect but a historic party of the reformist left, with deep roots in Anglo-Jewry and long connections with the Labour cause in Israel and the search for a two-state solution with the Palestinians.

Williamson is a historically trivial figure in himself, and this is indeed my point. He entered parliament in 2010 as MP for Derby North having served in municipal government, where he was instrumental in a housing scheme based on a private finance initiative and led Derby Council in coalition with the Tories. He backed Ed Miliband for leader rather than Diane Abbott, supported military intervention in Libya and air strikes on Islamic State in Iraq, and abstained on the immigration bill proposed by Theresa May that envisaged the infamous “hostile environment” for illegal immigrants. After losing his seat in 2015, he won it back two years later and became a single-minded campaigner to undermine moderate colleagues and (there’s no better way of putting it) troll Jews, all the while denying that he was anti-semitic and insisting he was merely an opponent of Zionism.

To comprehensively list his inflammatory behaviour by word and deed would take more space than I have available but none was so noisome as to post on social media an attack by a far-left website on the Board of Deputies of British Jews a few hours after 11 Jews had been shot dead at a synagogue in Pittsburgh. What sort of person would do that? What twisted fanaticism would shut out human sympathy amid communal grief? Some of Williamson’s defenders claimed he’d been unaware of the massacre when posting his remarks but, as Jonathan Freedland observed in the Guardian, “that defies credulity: surely if he was on Twitter, which he was, he would have seen news of the killings.”

Williamson has also backed Jackie Walker, an activist expelled by the party for anti-semitism after she claimed that Jews were “chief financiers of the sugar and slave trade” and asserted that “the Jewish Holocaust does not allow Zionists to do what they want.”

These are not merely the occasional bad apples that are found in any institution in civil society. There is a perverse ideological current on the left that incorporates anti-semitism into its world view. It’s long been there. It’s exemplified historically by such figures as Henry Hyndman, who launched the Social Democratic Federation, and the economist JA Hobson, who argued that the Boer War was being fought to advance the interests of foreign financiers among whom “the foreign Jew must be taken as the leading type.”

As my Times colleague Daniel Finkelstein noted a few months ago, Corbyn himself wrote a foreword to a new edition of Hobson’s book Imperialism, in which he made no mention of these anti-semitic tropes. To Corbyn, the notion of some kind of Jewish conspiracy to undermine the workers’ cause was a commonplace observation that required no comment.

Labour has traditionally inoculated itself against this sort of thinking. Leaders such as Hugh Gaitskell, Harold Wilson, Tony Blair and Gordon Brown were staunch friends of Anglo-Jewry and of Israel. All of this changed in 2015 when Corbyn became leader. The signal was given that ideas that had lived in a twilight of conspiratorial fantasy were now part of the discourse of Labour activism. While couched in the language of anti-Zionism, these notions actually have very little to do with Israel. The tragic essence of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict is that it encompasses two competing and legitimate nationalisms, which need to be accommodated in an eventual settlement balancing sovereignty and safety. To the ideological currents that have burgeoned in the Labour Party under Corbyn, Israel is a colonial state founded on apartheid. It’s a fantastical misconception about a state that has many sins of omission and commission to its name, but is a pluralist society and an essential guarantor of refuge for the Jews.

I’m not close to Israel: I’ve visited it (and the West Bank, though I’ve never been to Gaza) just half a dozen times in my life. Though I regard “Zionist” as an honourable label, I don’t use it of myself. I write on the subject extremely rarely, and then generally on how it’s perceived outside the Middle East. And I’m incredulous that the demonising of this flawed and highly imperfect democracy should have attained such prominence—such virulence—in left-wing discussion. It is in effect a cipher for an ancient and lethal prejudice.

Williamson is out of the Labour Party but far from exceptional within it. The Equality and Human Rights Commission has put the party under formal investigation, believing that “Labour may have unlawfully discriminated against people because of their ethnicity and religious beliefs.” It is no fault of the EHRC but dismaying even so that Corbyn may have entered Downing Street before it has reported. The prima facie case is strong that their suspicions are justified. In the last few days, Zarah Sultana, Labour candidate for Coventry South, has been exposed for making inflammatory statements that she would welcome the deaths of Tony Blair, Benjamin Netanyahu and George W Bush, and in support of “violent resistance” by the Palestinians. These comments were made not in a distant past or as a juvenile, but just four years ago. Sultana hurriedly issued a feeble apology for “articulat[ing] my anger in the manner I did,” as if her fault lay in the passion of her idealism. It should be obvious that she is hardly fit to stand as a candidate for a constitutional party, or even be a member of it, yet she appears to have the backing of the leadership.

Many who share my dismay at the state of Labour have directed their ire at the party’s moderate and decent MPs who are, at least formally, now campaigning for a Corbyn government. I don’t share that criticism. I know and respect many of these people (one is my own MP, Meg Hillier, who has written to me at length in response to my concerns about anti-semitism), and they have an acutely difficult decision to make. If they don’t fight from within Labour’s ranks, their place is likely to be taken by people who subscribe to the dismal catechism of the extremists. There is also the pressing issue of the government’s disastrous policies on Europe, which will damage the economy and living standards, along with Britain’s diplomatic influence and civic tolerance.

I don’t know what to do, as a voter, and especially as a longstanding Labour voter. I’m shaken by the knowledge that Tom Watson will not be present in Labour’s leadership after the election. We are seeing the normalising of anti-semitic discourse by the failure of one of Britain’s great political parties to take these issues seriously. This is hardly surprising when Labour is led by a man who shows no sign of self-awareness, let alone contrition, regarding his own provocations and slurs. It is a crisis not only for Jews but for the character of British society.
Oliver Kamm, Prospect Magazine

بھائی اوتار لینا
Stew Ingredient

Post by بھائی اوتار لینا » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 pm

Yes, jew/zionist interference in british politics has been going on since at least the late 1800's.
About time the labour party did something about it.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:18 am

So....

Has everyone seen the video of pissed Boris Johnson trying to explain Brexit last night to a small embarrassed audience?

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:24 am

No, can you post a link?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/manufacturin ... 7345353728

Apart from being wrong - the government advises that customs checks will be performed at both ends - he paints access to free movement and the customs union as “the best deal”.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 am

I've voted twice

Referendum: Remain

Local Council: Liberals

Both have lost. I'm tired of losing.

Who is the winner? What are the odds?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:59 am

Whatever sparks joy, Stephen.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 am

Can't you just answer question without being frilly?

There is no joy in this.

Though some of you seem to find it.

Like in The Road

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:03 am

Chi_Rup wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:39 am
https://mobile.twitter.com/manufacturin ... 7345353728

Apart from being wrong - the government advises that customs checks will be performed at both ends - he paints access to free movement and the customs union as “the best deal”.
I assume that was gin in his glass.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:01 am
Can't you just answer question without being frilly?

There is no joy in this.
Yes. The wry cup wants you to give him all your money, as he puts you in a camp.

It's SOP for all Communists, for the last 100 years. Please inform Plora.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 am

Ask him what he voted in the Referendum for Scottish Independence

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:16 am

Oddschecker

Cons 1/6
Labour 6/1

Is anyone here prepared to say how many seats Cons will win by?

How many seats they will fail by a majority?

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:19 am

I am still mulling, much to shunter's chagrin.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am

You get a vote?

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:25 am

My MP is Vince Cable

Unless he dies we should be ok

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:33 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am
You get a vote?
I am still mulling what my guess will be when someone posts an actual poll, with vote.

And yes, shunter loses to me on all of your UK votes. Scotland? Brexit?

I can hardly wait to humiliate him further.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 am

Answer the question.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 am

Odds only tell you what people are putting money on. You can think about the psychology of that yourself, but anyone putting money on anything at 1/6, especially a Conservative majority, is a twit.

Conservative private polling before the election was called said they’d win 287 seats, 11 less than they have now. Since some of the independents are back, I think that’s about right. I’ll pick 286.

SNP 52, Lib Dems about the same (that’s a big guess on my part, they may do better or worse). But I think they’ll do as well as they did in 2010 when they were a protest vote for Labour supporters. They’ll take more seats off Conservatives this time, Conservatives will win almost as many off Labour. Labour will return 200, and everyone will be surprised they’ve done so well.

I think Brexit Party will return 3 MPs. One of whom will resign within a year over some scandal like punching a flight attendant.

Greens, 2 MPs.

There won’t be any overall majority. Angela Rayner will be deputy leader of the Labour Party, Corbyn won’t resign for a couple of years until after Brexit has happened.

I’m probably wrong about most of this. One thing I’m confident to predict is that the geographical distribution of seats will change enormously but the party distribution not terribly much.
Last edited by Chi_Rup on Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:37 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:34 am
Answer the question.
Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:20 am
You get a vote?
I already did.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:43 am

But, you know, 1,000,000 views of that Boris Johnson video since last night and if it makes the lunchtime news... it’s a Mitt Romney moment.

Stephen_Dedalus
Stew Ingredient

Post by Stephen_Dedalus » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:47 am

Thanks Chirp.

What I thought, a government with even less of a mandate.

280ish is my prediction

I used to laugh at Italy

Laugh at The Ukraine?

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:53 am

For what it’s worth, while Johnson was drooling on the carpet to half a dozen invited Ulster Tories, Corbyn was speaking at a rally in Manchester to 3000 people, public ticketed event.

The top story will be floods, though. Which in itself is interesting as the weather can knock anything off the headlines at any point this winter.

desertstorm
Stew Ingredient

Post by desertstorm » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:47 am
I used to laugh at Italy

Laugh at The Ukraine?
Look at the result of the last parliamentary election of Belgium if you are petty and want schandefreude.

NL isn't much better, requiring 4 parties to form a coalition.

Iolar
Stew Ingredient

Post by Iolar » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 am

There's nothing wrong with coalition governments.

VinnyD
Stew Ingredient

Post by VinnyD » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am

A piece like that Kamm piece that concludes "I don't know what to do" is pretty disappointing.

Chi_Rup
Stew Ingredient

Post by Chi_Rup » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:21 pm

Holy shit!
London, regional voting intention:

LAB: 39% (-16)
CON: 29% (-4)
LDEM: 19% (+10)
BREX: 6% (+6)
GRN: 5% (+3)

via @YouGov, 30 Oct - 04 Nov
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
West Midlands, regional voting intention:

CON: 43% (-6)
LAB: 23% (-20)
LDEM: 14% (+10)
BREX: 12% (+12)
GRN: 7% (+5)

via @YouGov, 17 - 28 Oct
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
North West, regional voting intention:

CON: 33% (-3)
LAB: 30% (-15)
LDEM: 17% (+12)
BREX: 14% (+12)
GRN: 5% (+4)

via @YouGov, 17 - 28 Oct
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
Yorkshire and Humberside, regional voting intention:

CON: 34% (-7)
LAB: 29% (-20)
LDEM: 16% (+11)
BREX: 14% (+11)
GRN: 7% (+6)

via @YouGov, 17 - 28 Oct
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
South East, regional voting intention:

CON: 41% (-13)
LDEM: 23% (+12)
LAB: 16% (-13)
BREX: 12% (+12)
GRN: 6% (+3)

via @YouGov, 17 - 18 Oct
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
Wales, regional voting intention:

LAB: 29% (-20)
CON: 28% (-6)
BREX: 15% (+15)
LDEM: 12% (+7)
PC: 12% (+2)
GRN: 3% (+3)

via @YouGov, 31 Oct - 04 Nov
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
Scotland, regional voting intention:

SNP: 42% (+5)
CON: 22% (-7)
LDEM: 13% (+6)
LAB: 12% (-15)
BREX: 6% (+6)
GRN: 4% (+4)

via @YouGov, 23 - 25 Oct
Chgs. w/ GE2017 result
Still sticking with my stupid wrong prediction though.