GOP Rep Repeats Anti Semitic Trope

Main Course
cuchulainn
Instigator

GOP Rep Repeats Anti Semitic Trope

Post by cuchulainn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 pm

Anti Semitism from the party of Trump:

Rep. Louie Gohmert falsely says George Soros helped take property from fellow Jews
By Felicia Sonmez December 6 at 6:04 PM
Rep. Louie Gohmert (R-Tex.) is coming under criticism for falsely claiming in an interview that billionaire philanthropist George Soros, known for his funding of liberal and pro-democracy groups, “helped take the property” owned by fellow Jews.

Patrick Gaspard, president of Soros’s Open Society Foundations, sent a letter to Gohmert on Thursday afternoon asking him to apologize for the “disturbing and false anti-Semitic slur.”

In an interview Thursday morning with Fox Business Network’s Stuart Varney, Gohmert spoke about Google’s plans to build a censored search engine in China. At one point in the interview, Gohmert pivoted from discussing the tech giant to making accusations against Soros, who is frequently the subject of conspiracy theories and in October was among the prominent critics of President Trump to whom a Florida man allegedly mailed pipe bombs.

“You mention Orwell. It also reminds me of another George — George Soros — you know, because Google is born in a free country, and then they go over and oppress others — help oppress — in another country,” Gohmert told Varney. “George Soros is supposed to be Jewish, but you wouldn’t know it from the damage he’s inflicted on Israel, and the fact that he turned on fellow Jews and helped take the property that they owned. It’s the same kind of thing.” George Orwell was a British author.

Varney moved on without addressing Gohmert’s statements. He later distanced himself and the network from Gohmert’s views, the Daily Beast reported.

“Congressman Louie Gohmert for some reason went out of his way to bring up George Soros and made unsubstantiated and false allegations against him. I want to make clear those views are not shared by me, this program or anyone at Fox Business,” Varney said.

Gohmert on Thursday was referencing a false claim that Soros helped the Nazis confiscate property from Jews during World War II.

Soros has said he used false papers to survive the Nazi occupation when he was 13 years old living in Hungary. The allegation that he is a Nazi who turned in fellow Jews and stole their wealth is “a total fabrication,” Soros told The Washington Post earlier this year, saying such charges “annoy me greatly.”

On Thursday afternoon, Gohmert doubled down on his remarks, which he argued were “not anti-Semitic” but rather “pro-Jewish.”

“Soros himself admitted in a 60 Minutes interview with Steve Kroft on December 20, 1998, that he had no regrets whatsoever about assisting the Nazis in confiscating property from the Jewish people during the Holocaust,” Gohmert said in a statement released by his office. “That is a fact.”

Yet a transcript of the “60 Minutes” interview published by the fact-checking website Snopes shows that, after initially appearing to agree with Kroft that he “helped in the confiscation of property from the Jews,” Soros later clarified that he “was only a spectator.”

“I had no role in taking away that property,” Soros said. “So I had no sense of guilt.”

Gohmert also on Thursday cited a “statement that the Israeli government made last year that anti-Soros statements are not anti-Semitic.”

But while the Israeli Foreign Ministry statement was sharply critical of Soros, it did not declare that all criticism of Soros was not anti-Semitic.

Gaspard, the president of Soros’s Open Society Foundations, said in his letter to Gohmert on Thursday that “this conduct is beneath your office.”

“Just to reiterate the facts: George Soros escaped the Nazis as a 14-year-old boy, and he has spent most of his life supporting efforts to ensure that such terrifying authoritarianism never takes root again,” Gaspard said. “He did not collaborate with the Nazis. He did not help round up people. He did not confiscate anybody’s property.”

He added that it was “the height of irresponsibility” for Gohmert to make such remarks just weeks after the mass shooting at Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue and the pipe bomb targeting Soros.

“You are not entitled to misrepresent his and his family’s courage during such a terrifying and difficult period in our history,” Gaspard said.

Soros has been the subject of a range of unfounded conspiracy theories over the years, including one that he recently funded a caravan of Central American migrants making its way through Mexico toward the U.S. southern border. Trump suggested last month that he “wouldn’t be surprised” if Soros was funding the group.

Some of those conspiracy theories have made their way into U.S. government-funded broadcasts. The head of a U.S. government agency apologized last month for the airing of a program that called Soros a “nonpracticing Jew of flexible morals,” claimed that he was involved in “clandestine operations that led to the dismantling of the Soviet Union” and described him as “the architect of the financial collapse of 2008.” The Spanish-language report was produced by Radio and Television Martí, which is aimed at audiences in Cuba.

Gohmert has previously taken aim at Soros, telling host Fox Business host Lou Dobbs in October that it was “not anti-Semitic” to criticize the liberal megadonor.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... b4ad8d3776

ben_hanscombe
Stew Ingredient

Re: GOP Rep Repeats Anti Semitic Trope

Post by ben_hanscombe » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:16 pm

"I am appalled by reports of the wartime activities of open brackets open brackets open brackets George Soros close brackets close brackets close brackets."
Born a worm, spins a coccoon
Goes to sleep, wakes up a butterfly
What the fuck is that about?

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:34 pm

George Soros was the boy wonder of Nazi collaboration.

I love that the Fox news dude didn't even blink an eye when he said those ridiculous things.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Lost Soul
Stew Ingredient

Post by Lost Soul » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:00 pm

A veritable Ratzi the Nazi.
IMPRISON BUSH!

INDICT HILLARY!

"Lost Soul is largely correct"- VinnyD

cowtown
Stew Ingredient

Post by cowtown » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:37 pm

it's pretty ugly

screaming about the Koch brothers was always a tell of the loony left (unless it was confined to specific points of laws about political contributions)

screaming about soros is a kool aid tell of the worst kind, undermines any legitimate point and brands one suspect

the Modern Right is playing with fire, it's too common to pretend they didn't know
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler

Annotated
Stew Ingredient

Post by Annotated » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

How is it anti-semetic to criticize an anti-semetic atheist for being anti-semetic?
The First White Man to Ever be Woke

Logg
Stew Ingredient

Post by Logg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm

It's problematic to repeat this trope, but I don't see it as antisemitic so much as uninformed.

Agree with cowtown, the GOP is playing with fire.

For an actual example of a Hungarian Jew whose dealings with the Hungarian regime wasn't well-received by some fellow Jews, see Rudolph Kastner. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rezs%C5%91_Kasztner

eric84

Post by eric84 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:17 pm

Logg wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:10 pm
It's problematic to repeat this trope, but I don't see it as antisemitic so much as uninformed.
Classic Disco, minimizing antisemitism when an Amerikkkan expresses it.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.