November Running Thread

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Re: November Running Thread

Postby ben_hanscombe » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:17 am

Surely no-one runs as fast on snow as they do not on snow.

Also, out of curiosity: what does one wear to run when it’s that cold?
I wish there was a treaty we could sign
I do not care who takes this bloody hill

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I think I finally have the clothing cased. Down to -12C anyway, which is the coldest I've managed so far this year.

Running tights with sweat pants over top. It keeps the sweat away from my skin while providing warmth. I did one run with just running tights at -12C and it was ok, but chilly and my legs were red for a few hours afterwards. Better with the sweats.
On the top, a running T-shirt (again, a breathable one) with a light weight long sleeved running top over it, then a warm hoodie zipped right up to my chin. Also put an earband on (under the hood), and I discovered that one of those tubes of material that can be used as a hood or a neck warmer or an ear band is perfect for neck/chin. And light gloves.

When it gets to -20 I'll need another layer on the top and haven't figured out what it will be yet.
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Postby eric84 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm

And what do you put on the bottom of your shoes?

I have the day off and it’s beautiful sunny day so going to go for another ski.

45 km
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:13 am

So far nothing. But I used spikes one year for a few outside runs - on the 15 km one, my feet and back both started hurting towards the end. So I prefer to just avoid icy spots and run with plain runners.

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:22 am

Hard to find runs in Winnipeg that have clear paths. I become more risk adverse as I age. Think i’ll Stick to the treadmill and skiing in the winter.
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:56 am

Where I work we have dirt roads that are scraped and maintained - of course sometimes they get slippery, but mostly they're pretty ok.

At home - there is a maintained path all along the river through the entire city. I think it's over 10 km long on each side.

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:05 am

Winnipeg is bad for clearing paths after snow falls.

Stew Ingredient

Postby shunter » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:59 pm

It’s getting cold in London but nothing like the temperatures described above - doesnt your face freeze over with ice?

Untrollable since 2017

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:00 pm

No. When I've run in 20 and 30 below, then I'd wear a balaclava. Neck warmer and a toque is fine.

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm

Does anyone who likes the cold fancy this?
http://www.baikal-marathon.org
I actually contemplated it for about 5 seconds - I don't know what's wrong with me.
La ruta nos aportó otro paso natural.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:56 pm

shunter wrote:It’s getting cold in London but nothing like the temperatures described above - doesnt your face freeze over with ice?

Not even close - the first run I did in -12 this year I didn't have a neckwarmer or anything over my chin, and after the first few minutes I was plenty warm.

THe coldest I've run is -25 and I had a loose wool scarf over my lower face and something covering my forehead too. That's really beyond my comfortable level, though. I think -15 with no wind is fine, and I'll try to force myself in -20C weather, but it'll be tough.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:57 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:Does anyone who likes the cold fancy this?
I actually contemplated it for about 5 seconds - I don't know what's wrong with me.

How the hell did someone complete that in 2:55?
Pass the wine...

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:03 pm

There's the hypothermic half marathon in Winnipeg in February. I think they have them across Canada. I hesitate to sign up if turns out to be really really cold.

The biggest issue with running at cold temps is more the effect it has on your lungs.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Klara » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:07 pm

I'm going for a run now because I need bananas so I'd have to go leave my flat anyway.

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:41 pm

leela wrote:
simon_in_exile wrote:Does anyone who likes the cold fancy this?

How the hell did someone complete that in 2:55?

It's downhill?

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:44 pm

On a frozen lake? I would guess the wind was with them and footing was solid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:47 pm

eric84 wrote:On a frozen lake? I would guess the wind was with them and footing was solid.

The surface of the frozen Lake Baikal is covered in fields of ‘hummocks’, small hills of ice rubble. Beneath the ice surface, geothermic springs and seismic activity cause localized melting that weakens the ice to form holes and cracks. Besides, every winter huge ice pressure ridges appear near the marathon course which is flat, but the surface is hard and uneven. Although it is mostly covered in a soft layer of snow, there are areas of highly polished ice that create conditions similar to an ice-rink. Strong winds may often add to the already bitingly cold temperature and provide serious resistance to progress across the Lake.

Sounds as though it must have been a pretty good year for that record.
Pass the wine...

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:09 pm

I'm gonna guess (and judging by the pics on the website I think this is right) that they groom the course of the lake to avoid ice rubble and the like. It's not like they're making it into an obstacle course.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:12 pm

The route of the Inca TRail is almost exactly marathon length, and they have a marathon along it. The record time is well under 3 hours. This route includes 2 passes of over 4000m and a ton of other up and down.

So I think if people can run the entire Inca Trail in under 3 hours, they can run across a lake in under 3 hours.

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:25 pm

eric84 wrote:On a frozen lake? I would guess the wind was with them and footing was solid.

It was a joke...

I read a couple of reviews from people who've done the run. The best one involved an earthquake during the race that cracked the ice :P

Stew Ingredient

Postby simon_in_exile » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 pm

And three hours... yep, not a problem, and no they don't groom the ice. This is Russia.

Im still idly considering the half... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/9155272/Why-I-ran-a-marathon-in-frozen-Siberia.html

Stew Ingredient

Postby leela » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:47 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:Im still idly considering the half... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/9155272/Why-I-ran-a-marathon-in-frozen-Siberia.html

DO IT!!!!
Pass the wine...

Postby eric84 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:07 pm

simon_in_exile wrote:And three hours... yep, not a problem, and no they don't groom the ice. This is Russia.

Im still idly considering the half... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/active/9155272/Why-I-ran-a-marathon-in-frozen-Siberia.html

Well, it looked like competitors were running where a snow machine had gone over. Otherwise, small red flag markers every 5k would be tough to spot.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:32 pm

Terrible week swimming this week, combined travel, late nights, waiting for a roofer, and laziness. 0.5 miles, the worst in recorded history for a week in which I was at home at all.

Halfway though November and I have only swum four miles, not even what I should do in a week.

Stew Ingredient

Postby egjeg » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Not many long runs in my training plan this week. Today was just a fast (4:50) 1km. My breathing started making funny noises at the end, probably due to some nice asthma that the pollens in Australia seem to be giving me.

Total for the month is 28km.
Last edited by egjeg on Sat Jun 04, 2031 4:13 am, edited 5,730,142 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:51 pm

I should be doing 8 km tonight but it feels daunting. We'll see.

Stew Ingredient

Postby kagyuster » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:16 pm

22.5km today along muddy hills dodging cow shit makes 47km for the week and 117km for the month. This month could be my highest mileage since April.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:22 pm

I'm at 67 for the month. Hoping to make 100 again. The weather is complicating things - at work, the treadmill is handy but at home, less so. This coming week's forecast is nice enough that I should be able to run outside, though.

Stew Ingredient

Postby shilgia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:18 am

I haven't dared to open this thread all month, so I'm catching up now.

First: great to read about everyone's successes, esp. egjeg and Klara's. Great work! Egjeg, are you doing the C25K extension to get to 10K?

I have been kind of out of the running lately, so to speak, doing different kinds of exercise but not running. But I'm getting back into it, I think. I did my second run of the month today. Both short: just under 6 km a few days ago and just under 4 km today. So a little less than 10 km for the month so far. Today was excellent running weather temperature wise (9 C and sunny - so short sleeves even!). Parts of the route had a nasty cold wind, which made me decide not to go farther than I was, but on the whole it was an easy run.

Catching up on other topics in this thread:

- When GPS is unreliable (like today, when it gave me garbage data), I use mappedometer.com to get a more accurate estimated distance. It's basically Google maps with route-drawing functionality.

- When running in the morning, when it's not a long run, isn't it much easier to run before breakfast than after? That's how I feel anyway. Just get out of bed, run, then have a very satisfying breakfast.

Previous

Return to Streeterville: Albo's Place