??Was Hitler Insane??

The Richard Allan Bodine Lounge... have a drink and talk about whatever you'd like

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

??Was Hitler Insane??

Postby FUUZ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:55 pm

Yes, you read that right. Was Adolf Hitler, Fuehrer und Reichskanzler des Deutschen Volkes,
Oberster Richter des Deutschen Volkes, Erster Arbeiter des Neuen Deutschen, nuts, that is, Insane?

Not eccentric or a bit neurotic or kooky or fanatical, but actually insane.
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

Stew Ingredient

Re: ??Was Hitler Insane??

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Well, if he was deemed to be insane, but with counselling and correct medication, deemed to be sane again, i am sure Eric would have had no problem with his release (no supervision necessary).

Stew Ingredient

Postby FUUZ » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:09 pm

By the way, folks, the question in my OP is a serious one. It is not a joke.
Was Hitler crazy?
As I wander and chunder, I ponder and wonder.
I'm Slumming in Bedlam. Amuse me.

Stew Ingredient

Postby OnTheBall » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:11 pm

I thought he had syphilis, which caused his irrationality, especially some of his decision making in the Eastern Front.
equus: Let me ask, OTB - have you ever met a sexual predator or serial workplace sexual harasser?

jessica_fletcher: I suspect if he looked in the mirror, he has (showing that if you cannot win an argument, call the other person a sexual predator).

Instigator

Postby cuchulainn » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:16 pm

It's Adolf's birthday!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:18 pm

Cool, that means its soon to be St George's Day!

Stew Ingredient

Postby polardude1 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:57 am

You mean psychotic. I hink it's hard ot sustain psychosis in an organized functioning way for as long as he did.
Germany bans foreign media, temporarily
Postby Flobster » Mar 5th, 1933 7:52 am

Germany has banned foreign-produced media programmes for a month before its elections.

Seems like a good idea.

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:49 am

What is sane or insane is subjective and ultimately defined by society.
There are people who don't want people who do monsterous things to be mad as madness is mitigating in their eyes.
Last edited by DCComic on Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I want my fucking money back.
The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Stew Ingredient

Postby VinnyD » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:53 am

I think if you go ten years with almost nobody ever saying no to you, your sense of reality is bound to become somewhat distorted. But I think that is a different kind of distortion from that experienced by the clinically insane.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Troy Electroid » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:44 am

Who knows? Were Pol Pot, Mao, or Stalin insane?

I have service users that seem perfectly normal and lucid until you get involved with a lengthy conversation with them. Then all bets are off, but I highly doubt any of them would look to wipe out entire races of people. Most mentally ill people aren't violent and would more than likely harm themselves than others. Psychopaths on the other hand are not legally insane as they tend to know the difference between right and wrong, and are not influenced by voices, or hallucinations.

Stew Ingredient

Postby dBrother » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:24 pm

hitler was driven insane by meth..

if the russians hadda just capitulated, and he got his hands on the oil, and thus could get on with the war, then his head would now be on the back of all the coins in a united europe, and his picture hanging in every classroom, he'd be a european wide national hero..

Stew Ingredient

Postby Homerj » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Well, if he was deemed to be insane, but with counselling and correct medication, deemed to be sane again, i am sure Eric would have had no problem with his release (no supervision necessary).

He was also a govt. employee so we know he could get away with pretty much anything without being fired or even reprimanded.
I'm going to the back seat of my car, with the woman I love, and I won't be back for ten minutes!

Postby eric84 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Hitler was a gov't employee?
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby EMG » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:52 pm

VinnyD wrote:I think if you go ten years with almost nobody ever saying no to you, your sense of reality is bound to become somewhat distorted.

So if I spend 5 more years in the Philippines I'm going to lose my shit and start WWIII?

That's exciting.

Postby eric84 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:53 pm

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Well, if he was deemed to be insane, but with counselling and correct medication, deemed to be sane again, i am sure Eric would have had no problem with his release (no supervision necessary).

There's a tortured comparison....
Love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Shavenhead » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:39 pm

Here's the test.

If a group of people tried to kill you, would enjoy watching them being hanged with piano wire.

Or would you follow a different course of action?
Darkness is good.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Potpie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:21 am

won't it cut their heads off?

Stew Ingredient

Postby 5waldos » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:28 am

DCComic wrote:What is sane or insane is subjective and ultimately defined by society.
There are people who don't want people who do monsterous things to be mad as madness is mitigating in their eyes.

That is a common fallacy. Psychosis is psychosis is psychosis. Go to someplace like Varanasi, one of the world centers for strange people. Even there it is very clear that a small number of the people are "crazy". Really, truly, completely crazy.

Although it is true that monstrous acts are not enough to diagnose insanity. That would lead to a situation where all horrible criminals were unconvictable because of mental illness. It can be a difficult conundrum for someone charged with evaluating such a person. Been there and struggled with it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:34 am

eric84 wrote:

There's a tortured comparison....

It's a clear point, delivered crudely.

At what point does a person's history suggest their current mental state does not warrant them being released, however sane they appear to be.

Stew Ingredient

Postby The Mallard Missie » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:06 am

Eine sehr interessante Frage, muss ich sagen.

No doubt the esteemed British criminologist Dr David Wilson would state that Hitler suffered from an extreme case of "narcissistic personality disorder".

The same question might very well be asked of Himmler, Eichmann, Mengele, Goebbels, Goering, Hoess (I don't mean Hess), Kaltenbrunner and many others - or were they "simply obeying orders". As Eichmann often said - and used as an excuse in his trial - "Befehl ist Befehl".

Return to Streeterville: Albo's Place