The holy grail of frying pans

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

The holy grail of frying pans

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:29 am

Having spent relatively vast amounts of money on this one essential piece of kitchen equipment, with usually totally crap results (the only one not a nightmare was the cast iron pan but it was far too heavy and unwieldy) I have finally found a true pan for life. Voila:

https://www.debuyer.com/en/products/car ... ron-handle

Follow the seasoning instructions and this thing is the most non stick brilliant pan I've ever used. I ordered a v. small one for €23 if it was crap I could use for sauces or something. I have never mastered pan steak before. I either cremate or its raw, this tiny little pan worked its magic and I had THE most beautiful medium pink all the way through, crusty on the outside, NOT pouring blood yet still jelly like consistency fillet beef steak yesterday.

Here is an excellent video reviewing carbon steel pans. We know they're great for woks and knives, I think I might just have to replace every bit of kitchen metal I own with carbon steel products.

OMG dont you just love her voice?

Buy now, thank me later. These pans cant possibly stay as cheap as they currently are!! Good prices on Amazon to be had but I ordered through knivesandtools.com, delivery was cheaper. Just ordered a 28cm one for €33.45 absolute bargain!

Stew Ingredient

Re: The holy grail of frying pans

Postby desertstorm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:47 pm

I have been using both cast iron pans and carbon steel pans for some time now, although a decent sized carbon steel frying pan isn't that light and easy to hold neither.

If you want to go down this road, search internet to find the de Buyer simple 'carbone plus' pans (have good thick 2.5 - 3.0 mm bottom, won't easily warped with high heat) instead of the more expensive 'Mineral B' series with 'pre seasoned bee wax' catered to normal consumers. Price is 50% less and you don't pay for the stupid wax layer that you don't need anyway. Besides the minor differences, they are just the same pans made with the same material and thickness.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:46 pm

Obviously I need to click on OP's link next time before mansplaining.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:55 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.knivesandtools.com/

Now you can all share my pain as I try to seriously resist buying a premium set of kitchen knives and a bamboo chopping board I'm liderally positive I cant live without..........

Stew Ingredient

Postby mishmish » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Heyyy nice. I dunno about the voice but that is an excellent, comprehensive yet concise explanation. Hat's off. Certainly sold me. Why yes, I would LOVE a lighter weight non stick pan that I can really blast with heat and put in oven

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:10 pm

desertstorm wrote:Obviously I need to click on OP's link next time before mansplaining.

But the good thing was that your mansplaining didn't disagree with the OP.

This OP was perfectly timed for me. I have an anodized-aluminum non-stick pan that got an excellent rating from America's Test Kitchen, the source of that video, some years ago. Although I've treated it with care a small area seems to be losing its non-stick properties, and a bit of food tends to stick there -- not enough to mess up what I'm cooking, but just enough to make me think it's time to replace the pan.

I was wondering just the other day what the Test Kitchen was recommending now. Barbarella's OP and video told me the answer, and the mansplaining confirmed it. Thanks to both of you!
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Andrea1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:16 pm

Yep, I'll be in the market for one, next year, too. The last frying pan I bought was a Hairy Bikers' one and it was shite. Should've realised when it was heavily discounted in Home Bargain. But Hairy Bikers!

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:21 pm

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household ... 2-pdt.html

That is the last absolute waste.of.money I got suckered into buying from infomercials........... I know I know. Brought it home, did the fried egg test, sans oil. Oh my that stench took a looooong time to leave the kitchen..........the more I used it the less non stick it became til eventually everything was welded to it no matter how much oil I used. It was quite impressive actually. It came out of the dishwasher, from which it was apparently safe, covered in rust. And the most awful acknowledgement is it cost as much as the de Buyer. I coulda bought two!!!!!!!! **le sob**

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:30 pm

You're welcome NA trust me you wont be disappointed!

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:42 pm

I agree with the op. I've been phasing out my teflon crap for those types of pans. Matfer-Bourgeat makes a pretty good mineral iron pan and they are not as expensive as de buyer. They look like commercial kitchen workhorse pans.

Some of the ceramic coated non-stick pans work really well but I don't know how durable they are. Only a year in on mine and they are still in very good shape.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:04 pm

rider5 wrote:I agree with the op. I've been phasing out my teflon crap for those types of pans. Matfer-Bourgeat makes a pretty good mineral iron pan and they are not as expensive as de buyer. They look like commercial kitchen workhorse pans.

Some of the ceramic coated non-stick pans work really well but I don't know how durable they are. Only a year in on mine and they are still in very good shape.

I've had entanglements with ceramic, again same results coating coming off. Thats the major problem these pans eliminate. I did look for a Matfer, they're only in America from what I can see, so delivery would negate any savings.

If anyones not too sure, this one is so cheap its daylight robbery:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giles-Posner-B ... posner+pan

the reviews are good but I cant vouch for it myself. What would put me off is the handle on it, doesnt look oven safe, but for ho only thats an absolute bargain.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:59 pm

The Posner pan looks thin, but so is my wok and it works fine. Ceramic coating is kind of a new thing here in the States, at least to a rube like me anyway.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:25 pm

*hob

Ceramics been here a while, they sell all these lovely coloured sets of ceramic ware. Its not great at all......but teflon is waayyyy worse, very bad for us too.

"Toxic fumes from the Teflon chemical released from pots and pans at high temperatures may kill pet birds and cause people to develop flu-like symptoms (called "Teflon Flu" or, as scientists describe it, "Polymer fume fever"). ... Manufacturers' labels often warn consumers to avoid high heat when cooking on Teflon."

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Stew Ingredient

Postby Chi_Rup » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:37 pm

I’m all about the stainless steel these days. Le Creuset pan and Morphy Richards pots. I’m very happy.

My Teflon pans were all starting to flake apart so seeing that as guaranteed brain poisoning I gave them to my old housemate, who was delighted.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Le Creuset is outrageously overpriced and wayyyyy too heavy.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:56 pm

For bamboo chopping board, I did a bit of research and found the more expensive ones are basically just the same as those you found at pound shops.

I paid €3 for this, I got six of them three years ago and they are still perfect (size) for daily use. You need to make sure it is constructed with different layers so it won't warp easily.

http://www.xenos.nl/koken-en-bakken/sni ... e-20x30-cm

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Le Creuset is indeed overpriced but sometimes there are deals on Amazon, some cheaper brands of cast iron pans are (almost) just as good. But not all of them are the same, years ago I got a cheaper cast iron skillet and it cracked when heated.

I think Chi was referring to the 3 ply stainless steel pans from Le Creuset, I think they are overpriced as well. If you are willing to pay that kind of price, there are better brands out there.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Bastet » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Tag to read / check link later.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:07 pm

desertstorm wrote:Le Creuset is indeed overpriced but sometimes there are deals on Amazon, some cheaper brands of cast iron pans are (almost) just as good. But not all of them are the same, years ago I got a cheaper cast iron skillet and it cracked when heated.

I think Chi was referring to the 3 ply stainless steel pans from Le Creuset, I think they are overpriced as well. If you are willing to pay that kind of price, there are better brands out there.

I must say thats extremely pretty. Shame that if you dropped it you'd probably put a hole in your floor and/or break every bone in your foot.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:14 am

Yes, that particular 3 ply stainless steel line of pots and pans from Le Creuset is very good looking, but then there are other top of the line cooking ware brands which make 3 ply pots just as good for 30% less, or even 5 ply, 7 ply or copper core pots and pans for even better heat conduction if you have the money, and you realise you pay dearly here mostly for that beautiful lid.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:30 pm

But it's good to have nice things, including nice looking pots.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:25 pm

desertstorm wrote:But it's good to have nice things, including nice looking pots.

I have some friends who have a bunch of spendy copper cookware hanging over an island in their kitchen that they never use.

vegemite flavored maple syrup

Postby guruwil » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:55 pm

I have tried all kinds of frypans and Some are great for a little while and then stop being good, Some last forever but are never really good. I have never found the perfect combination of reliable non stick and long life. I have now movers on to buying cheap non stick pans and then throwing them out and replacing them at the fist sign of non stick breakdown. It works.
An it harm none, do what ye will

A duly ordained Minister of the Unversal Life Church call me Reverend.

We are all Atheists about most gods, some of us just go one god further.

judik wrote:Guruwil was right!!!!!!!!!!

jono_in_adelaide wrote:I think Guru is right on this one

the Secret Sauce

Postby section8 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 pm

rider5 wrote:
desertstorm wrote:But it's good to have nice things, including nice looking pots.

I have some friends who have a bunch of spendy copper cookware hanging over an island in their kitchen that they never use.

I think that's most people. Everybody has to have the best gear, even if they are shit cooks. They may as well buy their dog a Porsche.
My revolutionary farmer friend once labeled me as "severely creative." Yes, yes, I like tall-bike building and riding, making fermented foods, wild-crafting and being silent in places where there are no human sounds.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:37 am

Sure I admire people who are just very practical about stuff and get no more than what they exactly need to survive. I am not one of those people regarding kitchen utensils, I intend to use what I have for the rest of my life and I may as well get something I like when I use them almost everyday.

Besides rain jackets. Pots and pans are the other things I wonder if I can adapt a slightly more minimalist approach.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm

I want to adopt a less minimalist approach to cookware. And rain jackets.

Actually, I just need a good frying pan. I have one that's part of a set of decent quality, but stuff sticks to it. So I bought a cheap non-stick, several years ago, and it's deteriorated some and should be thrown out, I guess. And I have 2 cast iron pans (one with a wooden handle so it can't go in the oven, which is about the only time I use cast iron - when I need to go from stove top to oven),

So yeah, I might just spend a lot for something really good.

Actually, the non-stick of my wok is damaged too. Stuff doesn't stick but I can see scrapes in the finish and know that stuff is bad for you...
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:06 pm

I have a question about seasoning a pan: Is the smoke that rises from the hot oil sufficient to set off the smoke alarm?
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 pm

I would say quite possibly but I did the seasoning as per the video with salt oil and potato peelings so dunno if that helped. I switched on the hood and the alarm didnt go off and theres one right over my cooker. However, be warned 5 minutes later the pan was still roasting hot. Never seen anything like it for holding the heat even after I doused it in cold water.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:07 pm

I have no problem using my griddle/grill pan at home for steaks. But the same one set off the smoke alarm in more than one holiday cottages. Yes. I take my griddle on holidays.

Can you take out the battery easily just in case NA?

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Barbarella wrote:I would say quite possibly but I did the seasoning as per the video with salt oil and potato peelings so dunno if that helped. I switched on the hood and the alarm didnt go off and theres one right over my cooker. However, be warned 5 minutes later the pan was still roasting hot. Never seen anything like it for holding the heat even after I doused it in cold water.

Thanks. I thought I'd try doing that salt-peels-oil seasoning myself. I've got a fan above my stove, but I'm not sure how much smoke it can deal with. I won't be ordering the pan until next month (lots of stuff on my charge card this month), but I hope to resurrect this thread when I do so I can report on the seasoning.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:44 pm

Update:

I found a wide range of sizes in the Matfer Borgeat steel frying pan at RestaurantSupply.com today, and ordered one with a 10.25 in. diameter. That size comes closest to the size of the non-stick pan I'm replacing. Once the pan arrives I'll let you know how the seasoning process goes, and how the pan performs.

Stew Ingredient

Postby SeamusMcCool » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 am

I like my cast iron pans but I'm strong. I can handle 'em.
"I'd stumbled into the middle of an evil, insidious cult of chainsaw worshipping maniacs. I had to wonder if we'd let our religious freedom go too far in this country, or maybe our immigration laws were just too lax."

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:22 pm

SeamusMcCool wrote:I like my cast iron pans but I'm strong. I can handle 'em.

And I don't weigh much more than the 97-pound weakling in those old Charles Atlas ads. After back surgery in 1974, I gave a large Le Creuset casserole with lid to my sister-in-law because I could no longer lift it when full. Now it's age that makes me want to lighten the load, so I'll be giving away a 12-inch Lodge cast-iron frying pan once the steel one arrives.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:23 pm

Supposedly flaxseed oil is the best for seasoning iron.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:57 pm

The FedEx driver knocked at my door and I rushed to answer it, impatient as I was to see my Matfer Bourgeat black steel frying pan. I asked if I needed to sign for the package, he said no, and I reached out and took it; he turned and dashed off back to his truck.

It was only then that I remembered the notice on the Web site of the restaurant supply company from which I bought the frying pan on line: "It is critical that you open the package and inspect the contents for any damage before accepting delivery." So happy that my frying pan had arrived, I hadn't thought to do that. Worse, a label on the package identified the contents as 4 dozen 9-inch round melamine plates, made in China.

Well, I guess someone who ordered 4 dozen melamine plates had been shipped a black steel frying pan instead. I took a pair of scissors and cut through the packaging tape. There was so much bubble wrap inside the package that I couldn't immediately see what lay hidden beneath, but then, Surprise! There was my frying pan!

Here it is, minutes later; I'll probably season it tomorrow. Ma poêle en acier:

Stew Ingredient

Postby misanthrope » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:11 am

I've never had much luck with frying pans and I've gone through many. I will not have Le Creuset slandered here, however. Get in the gym, stinkfinger.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:25 am

misanthrope wrote:I've never had much luck with frying pans and I've gone through many. I will not have Le Creuset slandered here, however. Get in the gym, stinkfinger.

I wasn't slandering Le Creuset; I gave that casserole away only because I couldn't cope with its weight. At about the same time, I also gave away a large Le Creuset cast-iron skillet with a wooden handle; I kept a small skillet, and when I was fully recovered I bought a new, smaller Le Creuset casserole.

Stew Ingredient

Postby rider5 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:10 am

Regardless of my previous post, I think I used lard or coconut oil to season my M-B pan and it worked fine. Seasoning it was a cinch.

I only learned about the supposed superiority of flaxseed oil after I did a complete strip down of some cast iron pans I had that were really gunky and did not have good results re-seasoning them the way I have in the past. I still can't figure out where I went wrong with the cast iron.

Stew Ingredient

Postby misanthrope » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:58 am

NorthAmerican wrote:
misanthrope wrote:I've never had much luck with frying pans and I've gone through many. I will not have Le Creuset slandered here, however. Get in the gym, stinkfinger.

I wasn't slandering Le Creuset; I gave that casserole away only because I couldn't cope with its weight. At about the same time, I also gave away a large Le Creuset cast-iron skillet with a wooden handle; I kept a small skillet, and when I was fully recovered I bought a new, smaller Le Creuset casserole.

Apologies for the mistake, good sir. I was talking about the person who started the thread.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:12 am

Apologies for the mistake, good sir. I was talking about the person who started the thread.

Then I beg your pardon, mon cher Alceste, for having mistaken the target of your criticism.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:34 pm

misanthrope wrote:
NorthAmerican wrote:

You get facked.

And that looks identical to my bigger version I just got this week! Just seasoned this one with rapeseed oil and its perf! Happy cooking NA.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:32 pm

Barbarella wrote:...(T)hat looks identical to my bigger version I just got this week! Just seasoned this one with rapeseed oil and its perf! Happy cooking NA.

Thanks! I removed the labels and scrubbed off the waxy coating they put on it for shipping, and also downloaded Matfer's instructions for seasoning the pan. The instructions on the reverse side of the label are in French and English, the instructions in the pdf download are in English only. They're not quite the same:

Fry in the oil some instants the peels or slices of sprinkled potatoes with lot of salt. Throw away the cooked peels. Briefly reheat the frying pan with a little oil, withdraw and wipe with paper.

Sauté oil, salt and the skins of two potatoes on medium heat, continually swirling around entire pan. (The amount of these ingredients will vary depending the size of pan, i.e., for a medium pan, use 1/3 cup oil, 2/3 cup salt and the skins of two potatoes.) Discard after sautéing for 15 minutes. Repeat, then briefly reheat frying pan with a little oil, remove from heat and wipe with paper towel.

I hope to season it today, but at any rate soon; I can hardly wait to cook in it.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Defo season but they are ready to go after one seasoning, non stick pretty much from the get go.

Stew Ingredient

Postby DCComic » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:17 pm

The seasoning thing is a mythology of black magic and bullshit. You need to clean off the coating for shipping and rub cooking oil all over with a cloth or tissue. Use for cooking and let the patina build up.

Do not use detergent, ever. Clean under a hot tap with a brush.
Reducing sauces in the pan will strip them. So will tomatoes.
You might want to keep a separate pan for fish and another for eggs.
I want my fucking money back.
The only reason you continue to participate is because you hate me personally.

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:50 pm

DCComic wrote:...You might want to keep a separate pan for fish and another for eggs.

Separate pans? Now you tell me? I just made an omelet in my newly seasoned pan. It left the pan as if it couldn't wait to be devoured. I granted its wish.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Barbarella » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:01 pm

I've an 18, 24 and 28cm set now. I'm very happy with all three, two are de Buyer which are deadly but I gave in and got the Giles & Posner 24cm off Amazon, its the lightest one and was absolutely dirt cheap so may actually be my fave. They're such a wonderful alternative to the pure crap thats out there.

I regret the wasted years tbh..........

Stew Ingredient

Postby NorthAmerican » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:23 pm

I made my second meal in my Matfer Bourgeat pan today, sautéed potatoes and onions with a two-egg omelet on the side.

I never did the second seasoning that their pdf instructions recommended, but it really seemed almost as if the food was floating above the pan surface or as if I were cooking on glass. My only mishap was losing a bit of potato when I tried to toss and flip the pan contents. The sides of the pan are sloped perfectly, but a one-handed toss was difficult because of the pan's weight; I dealt with that problem by holding the handle with two hands rather than one. Here's today's lunch in progress:

Return to The Root Sauce