Spanish Tortilla

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:49 pm

So how badly would the authenticity police react if I made one with Serrano ham and Manchego cheese.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:54 pm

I made one on Sunday morning with baby gouda.

It was good.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:10 pm

EMG wrote:I made one on Sunday morning with baby gouda.

It was good.

But was it smoked gouda?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Mother of fucking christ


Someone HMB...
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:44 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:
EMG wrote:I made one on Sunday morning with baby gouda.

It was good.

But was it smoked gouda?



It was not. I also added a dash of cumin *watches Jess have a stroke*

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 48815
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby VinnyD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:06 pm

I think Jess was bugged by someone caring this much about authenticity, not about the alleged lack of authenticity.

I could be wrong, obvballs.

I have no doubt that there are Spaniards who have made something that included serrano ham and manchego cheese and called it a tortilla.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:50 pm

VinnyD wrote:I think Jess was bugged by someone caring this much about authenticity, not about the alleged lack of authenticity.

I could be wrong, obvballs.



You obviously have not been paying attention to Jess' previous posts on Spanish cuisine.

You are wrong.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:55 pm

Indeed he is EMG.

If you're going to make a potato based omelette with other ingredients, fine by me, but a tortilla it ain't!
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Queen Bee
User avatar
Posts: 47196
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Just south of the North Pole

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby northern_goddess » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 pm

I just googled this and got Jamie Oliver's recipe for it. He says you can add all sorts of crap in there. I had to laugh at the comment in the Comments section about the "fish slice".

Anyway, now I want someone to make me one.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/eggs-recipes/spanish-tortilla/
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 48815
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby VinnyD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:12 pm

A fish slice was PG Wodehouse's idea of a standard wedding present.

I was wrong in giving Jess too much credit for common sense. Sorry, Jess. Stan, perhaps you should refer to it as a potato frittata.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:09 am

This my inauthentic Spanish Tortilla from Sunday

Image


You can see the offending gouda globs on top. The girl had never heard of this dish so she had no idea I was serving her a fraudulent tortilla.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 10891
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:35 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby dragon » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:54 am

I love the fact that they sometimes make this at my school cafeteria.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 13468
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby NorthAmerican » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:55 am

Stan In Maryland wrote:So how badly would the authenticity police react if I made one with Serrano ham and Manchego cheese.

I would confiscate it as completely inauthentic, then lock it in my refrigerator for a day or so as punishment. Once that sentence was served, I would forgive its inauthenticity and eat it.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient
Online
User avatar
Posts: 19133
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby snowgirl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:34 am

I mentioned elsewhere that this dish was part of my Spanish-themed Easter dinner. My sister made the garlic shrimps and I made the tortilla. It was delicious. There was no ham or cheese involved because I love the baby Jesus.
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Queen Bee
User avatar
Posts: 47196
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:48 am
Location: Just south of the North Pole

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby northern_goddess » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:47 am

snowgirl wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that this dish was part of my Spanish-themed Easter dinner. My sister made the garlic shrimps and I made the tortilla. It was delicious. There was no ham or cheese involved because I love the baby Jesus.


So many lies here, snowgirl... I don't even know where to start. Shame on you.

;)
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

http://www.fat-pie.com/salad.htm

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:26 am

Emg that is a potato omelette. My aunties Lola, Carmen and Candida would weep if they saw that.

This, THIS, is tortilla


Image
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:34 am

Looks shit and you didn't make it so your comment will be stricken from the record and duly ignored.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:38 am

I could eat the whole thing right now.
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:54 am

I was lying it looks good.

Mine was a tad burnt on the bottom so I didn't flip it over, so it looks a bit flatter than it really was.

Do you slice the potatoes on a mandoline for one like that? I always just cut them into cubes.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:04 am

Yup slices. Mandolin? Ya big maricon!
Then fry, then beat eggs, mix with fried pots in a bowl and put in deep pan. My aunts use about 15 eggs and flip them.

I wish you all could taste my aunts ones, heavenly.
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I don't have a mandoline, which is why I asked. I'll try slices next time.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Jess, I am so sorry to disappoint you, but we both know it isn't the first time. I would love to try your Aunt's authentic tortilla. Since I live in the land where we are Making America Great Again and that means freedom from the bondage of our European ancestry (even though we know that ancestry is the best in the whole wide world) I will feel free to to add non-authentic ingredients (hey at least I am going with Spanish ham and cheese instead of Spam and American Cheese Food).
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:34 pm

Please add whatever you desire to your omelette!

Chorizo is g.ooooooo.d
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:52 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:Please add whatever you desire to your omelette!

Chorizo is g.ooooooo.d

Jess, serious question. Do the Spanish do omelettes in much the same style as a tortilla with other ingredients?

Do I get any credit at all for tying to incorporate Spanish ingredients, or should I just use Spam and American Cheese Food?
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:54 pm

In my experience, no.

I do add chorizo because its truly delicious.

Add spray cheese and tinned hotdogs for that truly yankee experience
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
Online
User avatar
Posts: 19133
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:13 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby snowgirl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:03 pm

northern_goddess wrote:
snowgirl wrote:I mentioned elsewhere that this dish was part of my Spanish-themed Easter dinner. My sister made the garlic shrimps and I made the tortilla. It was delicious. There was no ham or cheese involved because I love the baby Jesus.


So many lies here, snowgirl... I don't even know where to start. Shame on you.

;)


Wha-? True! Every word! Except for the baby Jesus part.

It's because there are no photos, isn't it?
Our problem is civil obedience. -Howard Zinn

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 6001
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:51 am
Location: DC

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby strife » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:37 pm

'Authenticity' is for wankers. I care if something tastes good. If Spanish culture is so fragile that it cannot survive the inauthenticity of omelettes with potatoes AND nontraditional ingredients calling themselves tortillas (or the blasphemy of the Mexican tortillas), then fuck it.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Just because i can wear a bucket on my foot does not mean it is a shoe.
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 6001
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:51 am
Location: DC

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby strife » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:41 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:Just because i can wear a bucket on my foot does not mean it is a shoe.


Okay. If it makes you stop foaming at the mouth (not a good look for you, by the way), I'll call my potato omelette with scallions coño español. It'll still be tortilla española with scallions though.
I don't want no Commies in my car. No Christians, either.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:42 pm

jessica_fletcher wrote:In my experience, no.

I do add chorizo because its truly delicious.

Add spray cheese and tinned hotdogs for that truly yankee experience

What so you cheat with chorizo and you are giving me a hard time of Spanish ham and cheese? I agree that chorizo could be good also, but my wife isn't a big sausage fan so I thought the Serrano ham.

Interesting that traditionally the would not do an egg dish that would use other ingredients, but I am sure you Aunt's version is divine. I have read that other items such a chorizo are often served as an accompaniment to a tortilla.

I will save the spray cheese and hot dog for my trip to the ball park next month.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 22820
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:53 pm
Location: Heaven 5.3.07

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby cowtown » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:06 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote: but my wife isn't a big sausage fan
:lol:
Jim-2012 wrote:I *heart* Hitler



Image

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 23343
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby jessica_fletcher » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:15 pm

strife wrote:
jessica_fletcher wrote:Just because i can wear a bucket on my foot does not mean it is a shoe.


Okay. If it makes you stop foaming at the mouth (not a good look for you, by the way), I'll call my potato omelette with scallions coño español. It'll still be tortilla española with scallions though.


Im not foaming, I'm alioling.
NA, I dont use ' when typing informally online. I gave them up in 2013.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 13468
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby NorthAmerican » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:33 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:...at least I am going with Spanish ham and cheese instead of Spam and American Cheese Food.

As everyone here knows, I am not one to quibble about word choice, but I think you might have meant "pasteurized process cheese food." I'm not sure that the word American appears on the label at all.

Edit. I just checked, and I was right. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the Code of Federal Regulations list three categories of processed cheese, none of which uses the word American in the legally acceptable labeling. Here's the one I remembered:

Pasteurized process cheese food, which is made from not less than 51 percent by final weight of one or more "optional cheese ingredients" (similar to the cheeses available for pasteurized process cheese), mixed with one or more "optional dairy ingredients" (milk, whey, etc.), and which may contain one or more specified "optional ingredients" (nondairy). Moisture must be <44 percent, and fat content >23 percent.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Ah, so sorry. So what is the difference between American Cheese and Processed Cheese Food? I know, I could google, but I am a lazy American.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 13468
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby NorthAmerican » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Stan In Maryland wrote:Ah, so sorry. So what is the difference between American Cheese and Processed Cheese Food? I know, I could google, but I am a lazy American.

You can't compare with me for laziness, I'm sure, but I'm in "helpful, but not critical" mode this morning and went to Wikipedia for the answer to your question.

You will probably be as surprised as I was to learn that even "American cheese" is a processed cheese; from Wikipedia:

American cheese is a type of processed cheese. It can be orange, yellow, or white in color, is mild, salty, and faintly sweet in flavor, has a medium-firm consistency, and has a very low melting point.

Very early in its history, American cheese was only white in color—as it was made from a blend of cheeses (most often including cheddar cheese) which were originally only white. However, the later versions are often a yellow hue due to the addition of annatto, a sweet and nutty seasoning added to cheddar and to Colby so that by the late 1800s American cheese was often simply called "yellow cheese."

Today’s American cheese is, by law, required to be manufactured from at least two types of cheese. Because its manufacturing process differs from "unprocessed"/raw/natural cheeses, American cheese can not be legally sold under the name (authentic) "cheese" in the US. Instead, federal (and even some state) laws mandate that it be labeled as "processed cheese" if simply made from combining more than one cheese, or "cheese food" if dairy ingredients such as cream, milk, skim milk, buttermilk, cheese whey, or albumin from cheese whey are added. As a result, sometimes even the word "cheese" is absent altogether from the product's labeling in favor of, e.g., "American slices" or "American singles".
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 12003
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: A broom closet in the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Lime_Pickle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:47 pm

As long as contains egg and potatoes and it's thick and cooked both sides, I think you can call it a tortilla - even if you add other things (e.g smoked salmon and spring onions, chorizo, peppers & peas, etc).
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:49 pm

See that's what I knew as that American Cheese is "processed cheese". I guess I would have to spend the time to read the two legal definitions to figure out the why "processed cheese food" cannot be called American Cheese, but American Cheese is a processed cheese.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 13468
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby NorthAmerican » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:54 pm

What almost made me puke was to learn that the individual slices take on their firmness only once they have been packaged. They go into the package as a thick liquid with a gooey consistency.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:58 pm

mmmm...a thick liquid with a gooey consistency, sounds delicious. If I were to guess that is because it goes in warm and thickens as it cools. Which would be true of any cheese (or cheese product) that will melt.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 6122
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:21 pm
Location: Maryland, USA

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Stan In Maryland » Thu May 18, 2017 7:28 pm

So I took my first shot at a tortilla/tortilla inspired omelette (for Jessica). I used a recipe I found but the potato to egg ratio seemed way off. It was almost all potatoes with very little egg so it didn't "set up" the way it seems it should. Flavors were all good, but next time I will cut back on the potato.

Jess don't read the rest:

Not only did I use Serrano ham and manchego cheese I added bell pepper.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 13468
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:15 pm
Location: Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby NorthAmerican » Thu May 18, 2017 8:49 pm

Lime_Pickle wrote:As long as contains egg and potatoes and it's thick and cooked both sides, I think you can call it a tortilla - even if you add other things (e.g smoked salmon and spring onions, chorizo, peppers & peas, etc).

I won't put a bucket on my foot and call it a shoe, but using the quote above as my authority I'm going to bind Julio Cortázar's Continuidad de los parques between front and back covers and call it a novel.
I enjoy reading NorthAmerican's posts. So well-written and interesting except for the dull parts.--Nines

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 48815
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby VinnyD » Thu May 18, 2017 9:11 pm

I had assumed that what was (in the dollar store) called "American slices" was what is also called "imitation cheese", in which the milkfat is replaced with vegetable oil.

I will look at the label next time I am in the dollar store.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 12003
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: A broom closet in the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Lime_Pickle » Fri May 19, 2017 9:23 am

BTW I agree that the thing EMG posted isn't a tortilla - it's far too thin. But I don't think to add extra ingredients negates authenticity, necessarily.

Let's take a salade Nicoise for example . . .

The core ingredients are tomato, hard boiled eggs, onions, small unpitted black olives and canned tuna or anchovies. If you add cucumber, green beans, potatoes or swap the canned tuna for fresh, does that make it not a Nicoise?
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient
Posts: 14205
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:53 pm
Location: Lungsod ng Maynila

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby EMG » Fri May 19, 2017 10:37 am

It was roughly 1" thick. What is the required thickness of a Spanish Tortilla?

What if one only wants to make enough for two people to eat?

I guess I need a pan that's about 6" deep but only 3" across.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 12003
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:26 pm
Location: A broom closet in the Ecuadorian Embassy.

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby Lime_Pickle » Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

The thing that Jess posted that you said looked "shit" is what a tortilla (Spanish usage) means, to me. It's, what, a couple of inches thick? And cooked both sides. But if you had additional ingredients (onions, peas, chorizo, etc) cooked into it I think you could still call it a tortilla. Yours doesn't look that thick - not even an inch, maybe it's the angle - and doesn't look like a tortilla, particularly as the top is still 'wet' like a good omelet.

Other tortilla pix:


https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=spanish+omelette+tortilla&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwja-5Si5fvTAhUmOsAKHYO1AUMQ_AUIBigB&biw=1242&bih=602

When I make it I use a small, deep frying pan (with curved sides) that is roughly 6" across and 2" deep. It takes 5 or 6 eggs (plus potato and the other ingredients) to fill and I finish it off under the grill (broiler). I serve it warm, or cold, cut into 4 wedges with crusty bread, a green salad and a glass of Spanish beer/wine (though a glass of fino/manzanilla would probably be even better). It's a lovely, summery dish.

I might try making it with chorizo and asparagus at the weekend.
Wibble.

Stew Ingredient
User avatar
Posts: 48815
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:35 pm

Re: Spanish Tortilla

Postby VinnyD » Sun May 21, 2017 1:58 pm

If the olives are pitted does it cease to be a salade Niçoise?

Return to The Root Sauce

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests