Bragging post - ski week

Killing the internets, one recipe at a time

Moderator: Moderator

Stew Ingredient

Bragging post - ski week

Postby desertstorm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 am

I did some massive cooking last Saturday/Sunday to prepare for the ski holiday next week. I've done plenty to freeze and take along with me, so that I can keep my own self imposed rule of not spending longer than 30 minutes in the kitchen for dinner during the week. There is a tradition of ski week with three other friends for the last 15 odd years, and I have always been the cook. It was about cutting costs at the beginning, now it's more because we would rather eat in our pyjama then going out for dinner. All this takes some planning ahead with complicated logistic, not to mention a lot kitchen stuff.

Menu

Day 1
Onion Soup
Seafood mixed grill with scallop, prawns, winter cod, sole filet and tuna burger, with grilled asperagus, aioli and salsa verde.

Day 2
Gillardeau oysters
Asperagus a la flamande with cooked ham and smoked salmon, new potatoes, boiled eggs and melted butter

Day 3
Fig, fennel, pecorino salad with orange blossom yoghurt dressing
Oxtail 'fesenjan', with pistachio saffron herb rice and raisin spinach

Day 4
Beef taco (don't ask how I make it), with quacamole, lime sour cream, pineapple salsa and some more green bits to add

Day 5
Cheese and cured ham
Pappardelle (not home made) with oxtail ragu, and apple endive salad

Day 6
Raclette

Day 7
Asian broth with green and beef
Green prawn curry with rice and papaya salad

Day 8
Eating out

There will be another evening that we may eat out or eat steak instead. Wine, beer and whiskey are all set. We don't do dessert but Belgium chocolate will be avaialable with coffee. I am doing breakfast as well, but that should be in another thread of its own.
Last edited by desertstorm on Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stew Ingredient

Re: Bragging post - ski week

Postby DCComic » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 am

Looks good.
I've never achieved that level of organisation. Never even tried, but I bet it wouldn't work out.
I want my fucking money back.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 pm

I am not good at planning as well, but then I have years to practice for this type of holiday.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stephen_Dedalus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:10 pm

Have you tried making an Irish coffee?

That fills one with a warm glow.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Stan In Maryland » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:02 pm

I am sorry, I think my invite got lost in the mail, could you please forward the information.
"As a child I wanted to be a grown-up. I wanted to know everything - not that I like to talk about it. I hate intellectual conversation with intellectuals because I only care about my opinion."

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:01 am

Of course I would love nothing more than inviting all of you lovely people to join, unfortunately, I am not aware that I have put everyone here on ignore list accidentally before I post this OP so I can't read any of your message.

Stew Ingredient

Postby Scrubb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Oh ds - I'm sure you would never put me on ignore, so I expect my invitation momentarily!

Every year we go on a camping trip where we have only our small Coleman stove (2 burners) and a cooler. A few years I made a big effort, and we had garlic shrimp on pasta, he had homemade hamburgers, we had spicy chicken quesadillas... but instead of becoming more organized and creative, I've just gotten lazy. The past few years we've had canned chilli, and pasta with sauce from a jar, and the rest of the time we've eaten at the food truck or driven to the restaurant that's 5 miles away.

Maybe after this ski trip where I get to eat your amazing meals I'll be inspired for the next camping trip!
Boinkity_Boink isn't much of an idiot

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:26 am

This post was made by Scrubb and Stan in Maryland who are currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

You two need to show up next Friday at Pettneu around 19:30, no need to bring anything because I will bring everything. I mean, even I am scared to think how much I am bringing. 3 extra cast iron pans, skillet, 2 floor lamps, proper wine glasses, proper plates, proper espresso cups, nespresso machine, raclette thingy, just to name a few of, and I haven't yet talked about the food and my ski stuff.

Another aspect of the challenge is the shopping, there is a few supermarkets just 10 mins drive from where we are, but it's Austria so they don't stock a lot of things I expect a normal supermarket would stock, and the meat is crap and seafood non existed, which means I need to order mine back home and bring them to Austria and try to keep them fresh one way or another. Oh, I am bringing all the wine too, I don't trust wine at the supermarket over there.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 am

Stephen_Dedalus wrote:Have you tried making an Irish coffee?

That fills one with a warm glow.

Good idea, I haven't had Irish coffee since my teenage years. They drink jägertee there.

Stew Ingredient

Postby ceylon_tea » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:40 pm

Holly shit...what a menu.

Stew Ingredient

Postby desertstorm » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:35 pm

Just to report back, the food/menu, with minor changes and adjustment, all came out like it should be, which is to say as good as it sounds on paper. A small miracle considering the fact I had to make them in a standard holiday cottage kitchen, with a god awful ceramic hob.

High lights were the seafood mix grill, which I just dusted the fishes in flour/s&p before frying in clarified butter, the properly thick red wine sauce for the entrecote (extra meal), made partly with the reduction of 1 litre Shiraz to stew 3 kilo of oxtail in the oven for 3 hours, and the oxtail fesenjan, my first, made with that 3 kilo red wine stewed oxtail (I know, but I used Shiraz wine), before adding them to the walnut pomegranate sauce for another 90 minutes in the oven. Heavy but perfect after a long day of skiing when we forgot to have lunch.

Stan and Scrubb didn't show up though, pity.

Return to The Root Sauce